PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Kung Fu school/style in Socal (orange)

djcetra
04-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Hello, I live in the Huntington Beach, CA area and am having trouble deciding on a place to practice. I took 7 Star Praying Mantis for a few months a few years ago and really like it but it seems hard to find a place this style is taught. Also, what are anyone's opinion on this style as a 'full system'? Is it effective on the street? Another style I've often heard a lot about is Wing Chun, how effective on the street is this system to defend yourself and not just for competative purposes? How about Jeet Kun Doe?

I'm not rich, but I do understand teachers need to get paid! I'm somewhat lower-middle class so price would have to be reasonable to me, no more then 100$ a month or less if possible.

Could anyone give their suggestions, opinions and recommendations on any of these styles and legit schools to attend for the long run? Seems like many schools bounce around and move locations every year.

Help?

Thanks!!!

djcetra
04-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Anyone? 46 views, no bites yet ;)

MasterKiller
04-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Wrong forum.

MightyB
04-16-2010, 07:39 AM
I believe Dr. John Cheng teaches 7* here: http://www.californiamartialarts.com. He's very good.
---

There is no such thing as a "full system". If you're a pu$$, you'll always be a pu$$. No MA training can help with that. Some people are tough, some aren't.

David Jamieson
04-16-2010, 07:46 AM
It doesn't have to be mantis right?

So, as you ahve been exposed toe some kungfu, why not pick up a phone book and head out for some free introductory lessons? :)

I mean, yeah, there might be some guys from OC here. BUt if it was me, that's how I would go about it.

SPJ
04-16-2010, 09:19 AM
in your mantis

you already are exposed to strikes, qin na and throws.

so depending on what you want or what you need

1. focusing on strikes, take up boxing

2. focusing on kicks, take up MT/TKD

3. focusing on throws, take up shuai jiao, wrestling, BJJ, akido, judo--

--

within CMA

1. due to rapid change of stances in mantis, your stepping may be weak

you make take up ba Ji for heavy stepping and strong stance.

2. mantis focusing on forearm movements

you make take up tong bei or pi gua, you may learn to use the whole arm more

---

however, tong bei and ba ji have big opening and big closing

mantis postures are tight. tong bei and ba ji are wide open with large stance and movements.

tong bei covering its opening by moving fast in and out.

ba Ji covering its opening by moving in fast and staying in/close--

--

OC is a host of many and many styles

akido, judo, bjj, mt, --you name it

--

and of course, your mantis learning is quite good/adequate already--

--

have fun.

:)

djcetra
04-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yes I could pick up a phone book but I was hoping that some people here that had very positive experiences already could recommend places to help me narrow the search and avoid scam artists etc.

kfman5F
04-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Tim Cartmell is in OC and is fantastic.

djcetra
04-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Where is he currently teaching? I've googled for him but it seems it was at one place in Garden Grove but now moved?

kfman5F
04-30-2010, 03:17 PM
When I studied with him it was at his house. He converted a 2 car garage into a great workout area. This was years ago. This info was from his website. Try calling him.

Shen Wu Academy of Martial Arts
7411 Garden Grove Blvd. Suite F
Garden Grove CA. 92841
(714) 890-0605
shenwu@verizon.net

omarthefish
05-01-2010, 06:38 AM

Second that.

With Tim you have the options of training Taiji, Bagua, Xingyi or BJJ. For Chinese IMA, he trained with one of the very best in Taiwan for 10 years. For BJJ he's a black belt. Not sure under whom but a BJJ black belt is no joke.

Traditional, forms, MMA, sparring. He offers it all.