PDA

View Full Version : What is Tam Tui?

Begging Mantis
06-29-2000, 10:10 AM
What is this part of the Wah Lum studies? What does it emphasive on? Kick techniques?

Is the Wah Lum and Tam Tui taught seperately or together as one style?

Thanks for the info

BM

Robinf
06-29-2000, 06:12 PM
Tam Tui is the family style of Lee Kwan Shan, the Great GrandMaster of the style now passed down my Pui Chan (Pui Chan was one of his last students).

Tam Tui emphasizes the leg--"sweeping leg" or "seeking leg" are the two translations I've come across.

It's not necessarily kicks, but the use of the leg--the one legged-quat, the low stances, etc. It's the leg conditioning/training, as I've come to understand it.

mantisgirl
06-29-2000, 06:14 PM
Tam Tui is a front heel kick, also weong tam tui and die tam tui which are low and side tam tui kicks. So it isn't a seperate style just a type of leg technique that is used alot. If im not mistaken Lee Kwan Shan is the one who introduced the tam tui style of kicks into the system. All i know is we do them alot and i can't seem to do them well at all only the front heel kick.

Kung Lek
06-30-2000, 12:42 AM
Hi-

If I may also add:

Tam Tui/Tan Tui/ Tam Toy also refers to "springing leg" and is a preliminary form of Bak Sil Lum (North Shaolin) Kung fu system.
The set is of Moslem origin and has been used as a prelim set in North Shaolin for some time.

In one version of the set, the practitioner moves along ten rows and within those rows a variety of techniques and combinations are expressed.
In the other version of the set, the practitioner moves along twelve rows and the techniques and combinations are again expressed in each row.

Tan Tui as a singular development exercise is also a definition wherein the practitioner will squat on one leg and stand back up the goal being to maintain balance and to reach the ground with control and to raise back up with control. This exercise builds really good kicking power as well as balance and strength in the practitioners legs.

Peace

------------------
Kung Lek

7kicks
06-30-2000, 12:29 PM
Tam Tui translates to seeking legs. It involves a number of exercises to increase leg power, mostly one legged squats, that are later incorporated into forms in the WAH LUM System as stated by previous post it was Lee Kwan shan's family style. It is not taught as a seperate style in Wah Lum. In northern long fist shaolin kung fu they have sets called Tan Tui which from what I have seen are much different than what is taught in Wah Lum.

Ric Wu
06-30-2000, 09:56 PM
Tam Tui was also one of the original styles taught at the Woo Association in what was Shanghai, China before the modern renaming of China.

laughing tiger
07-05-2000, 03:23 AM
I really enjoy all of the Mantis posts. Very informative, and most of the men and women posting show some character and maturity... a nice change from the "other" topic on this site :-)
Anyhoo... I studied southern styles for many years, now I'm new (woohoo!...love it!) in a school where northern longfist and northern praying mantis are taught. After a few basics are taught, a student learns "Tan Tui". An example of how this school does it is:

Tan Tui #2 look right, left hand comes to guard upper ribs and right hand vertical punch to the right side. feet together. hold.
Then right upper block with forarm at hairline hight, as the left leg is brought up to kneecap height. left hand protects left ribs.
this goes into a left horsestance punch (corkscrew), move the left foot to the left a little and right bow and arrow punch (corkscrew).
simultaneous left corkscrew punch and right heal kick into a right horsestance punch, and then continue the sequence, alternating sides, for 3 sequences, then return to the Tan Tui ready position.
Does this sound like what you all are doing? :-)

Robinf
07-05-2000, 06:07 PM
LT,

That exercise isn't familar to me.

We have one called 7 kicks. I'll write that one up when I have more time; needless to say there are kicks in it--4 push heel, two windmill, two low snap side, and 4 sweeps, along with some hand techniques, but not much.

Robin

laughing tiger
07-06-2000, 02:17 AM
sounds cool, Robin :-)

7kicks
07-06-2000, 02:41 AM
Laughing Tiger the set you are describing is common in most northern longfist Tan Tui sets. I think there are 10 sets in northern longfist that you learn. These Tan Tui sets are much different than the northern mantis wah lum Tam Tui. The Tam Tui in Wah Lum are integrated into the forms and are not taught seperately as they are in northern longfist.

laughing tiger
07-07-2000, 03:20 AM
Thanks, Mantiz6 :-)

Begging Mantis
07-07-2000, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies. All the info will be very useful. Thank you again for your help.

BM

woliveri
08-07-2000, 08:48 AM
Laughing Tiger, Is your teacher accepting
new students and you mentioned you are in
Orange County. I'm assuming you mean Orange
County California, yes? If so, can you tell
me more about your school and it's teachings?

Thanks,
William Oliveri
wuji@nivets.com
woliveri@yahoo.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by laughing tiger:
Thanks, Mantiz6 :-)[/quote]

Kenji
08-07-2000, 12:49 PM
I think there are two different Tan Tui/Tam Tui styles. Both "Tan" basically has the same pronunciations but characters are different. One is the "Springing Leg" and the other was translated to me as "deep legs" which might be the "seeking legs" of Wah Lum Tan Tui.

Hua Lin Laoshi
08-20-2000, 10:56 PM
Some of the forms taught in the Wah Lum system are Tam Tui forms. These are not taught specifically as Tam Tui forms however the student will reach a point where he/she will have to identify these forms.

Tekarius
08-20-2000, 11:26 PM
I agree with Kung Lek

OCCOBRA
05-08-2009, 12:38 AM
There is 12 Ton Tui Forms in our system and all of they are 2 man forms when you get further along. Spring leg is the name. Some Northern styles have 10 forms. For endurance i would do the 12 Ton Tuis twice and if you where breathing hard you where not in shape to do the rest of the black belt test. Which consisted of another 12 forms. There are those that hold the kicks for a couple seconds to become stance training in a way that made them even harder. Great warm up and takes about 20 minutes before i would start the Northern long fist & Mantis.

MightyB
05-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Laughing Tiger, Is your teacher accepting
new students and you mentioned you are in
Orange County. I'm assuming you mean Orange
County California, yes? If so, can you tell
me more about your school and it's teachings?

Thanks,
William Oliveri

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by laughing tiger:
Thanks, Mantiz6 :-)[/QUOTE]

Hey Woliveri-

Use the PM system to send your email address to other people on the board- you should go back and edit your post to remove you personal email- otherwise you're setting yourself up to get SPAMMED big time.

mickey
05-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Greetiing,

I remember reading in one of the Wah Lum handbooks that was available in the early 90's the mentioned Tam Tui as a separate style and that the first form was called "ascending." The way it was written it appeared to be a transcript of a lecture. In it was the expressed hope that students would go on to learn this style.

If Wah Lum students are still scratching their heads about this important component, I am deeply saddened. Maybe some of the earlier students in Boston learned it.

mickey

p.s. Regarding Kenji's statement, I also heard of a similar translation of tan tui: it was not "deep legs" (which I have also heard of), it was "sinking legs". I believe it to be the same character that kenji makes reference to and this was in reference to the Tam Tui style of Wah Lum.

18elders
05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Tam Tui in itself is a system, not just a kick, it has its roots from the Chinese Hui Muslums.
Some northern styles teach some of the forms and roads as basics in their system.

Yao Sing
05-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Anyone notice this thread is from 9 years ago? Good suggestion to woliveri about posting his address but I believe he's moved a couple of times since then. :)

mickey
05-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Well,

Did anyone notice that I responded with a nine year old's passion?

mickey

Tainan Mantis
05-11-2009, 06:58 PM
it was not "deep legs" (which I have also heard of), it was "sinking legs". I believe it to be the same character that kenji makes reference to and this was in reference to the Tam Tui style of Wah Lum.

The actual meaning of tan within the wah lum system should be read as seeking legs or probing legs.

This is unique to Wah Lum.

Most styles use the tan character in reference to a temple in China where the style is supposed to have come from.

Other schools use a tan character which refers to the expression of energy of the kicks.

Both tan characters are pronounced the same way.

What confuses the issue is the name of the kick used in the style.

Most of the kicks are a toe kick which is also called tan.

This particular tan character is the one which refers to the expression of energy of the kicks.