PDA

View Full Version : Earth Day

Lucas
04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Just curious if anyone here does anything special on Earth Day?

you know things like walking to work or commuting, using less waste, strangle a politician, clean up a river/beach, feed some baby birds in an abandoned nest by regurtitating partially digested worms into their mouths, hang out with some hippies, plant some trees...

things like that.

ill probably walk to work just for the heck of it.

uki
04-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Just curious if anyone here does anything special on Earth Day?i might burn some trash or continue filling in our dump. :p

Lucas
04-21-2010, 02:30 PM
hell ya dude. make sure and start the bonfire with some old tires!

GeneChing
04-21-2010, 02:56 PM
I've been trying to compost a recyclable plastic cup and fork. Both are those corn starch things. Neither has decomposed at all and it's been over a year in the compost. :mad:

I'm eager to try composting one of those new Sun Chip bags.

uki
04-22-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm eager to try composting one of those new Sun Chip bags.funny you mention them... i just bought a bag - they are pretty loud for one and two, i wonder if that bright ink is biodegradable?? LOL... it's the last set of colors i would like to till into our garden soil.

taai gihk yahn
04-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Just curious if anyone here does anything special on Earth Day?
drive my Hummer over a beaver dam while eating a Big Mac;

David Jamieson
04-22-2010, 04:49 AM
shoot an endangered species, then clone it so I can shoot it again.
:D

solo1
04-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Im going to shoot and eat a snail darter, then for the evenings festivities Im going to burn a pile of tires while running my air conditioning full blast. Earth Day what a stupid event, interesting though it was founded to combat GLOBAL COOLING, gibbering idiots.

1bad65
04-22-2010, 11:28 AM
I'll be sure to take the V8 powered Stang out for a little drive and some tire burning tonight.

GeneChing
04-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm pretty green in general so Earth Day is ongoing for me. Perhaps it's a Buddhist thing, but I don't really celebrate it as distinct. I'm always torn this time of year about what to celebrate. Earth Day is so close to World Tai Chi Day (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56828). This year, I think I'm going to celebrate the Cherry Blossom Festival.

solo1
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
at least World Tai Chi day stands for something and isnt some politically motivated , idiotic power and money grab.

MasterKiller
04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
at least World Tai Chi day stands for something and isnt some politically motivated , idiotic power and money grab.

Yeah, shame on the Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"-Lee Iacocca

uki
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
to think that mankind, as a species, can ultimately destroy the ecosystem of the planet is asinine... mother nature has an uncanny knack for putting things into their proper place - we as a general body, have been duped into thinking that our planet is somehow inferiour to it's inhabitants... LOL... i hope you all have some popcorn on hand - the show has already begun. *munch* *munch* ;)

SanHeChuan
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
to think that mankind, as a species, can ultimately destroy the ecosystem of the planet is asinine... mother nature has an uncanny knack for putting things into their proper place - we as a general body, have been duped into thinking that our planet is somehow inferiour to it's inhabitants... LOL... i hope you all have some popcorn on hand - the show has already begun. *munch* *munch* ;)

The idea is not that we can completely eradicate all life, just that we could make the world unable to support human life.

MasterKiller
04-22-2010, 01:39 PM

two words to research, Ukmeister: Cancer cluster.

uki
04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
one word... fate. :)

jdhowland
04-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I always celebrate Earth Day...it's my anniversary.

uki
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
I always celebrate Earth Day...it's my anniversary.how charming... do you feel like you have been stuck in cement since you did?? :D

solo1
04-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Yeah, shame on the Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"-Lee Iacocca

the Clean Water and Air act were written and imposed by the EPA, the hippies involved with earth day had nothing to do with it, nice try.

solo1
04-23-2010, 07:42 AM
"Earth Day, a holiday created to honor the planet and to raise the consciousness of man's effect on the environment. Philadelphia has a very strong tie to this day. One of its native sons, Ira Einhorn, was a co-founder of the environmentalist jubilee.

But Mr. Einhorn has another line on his resume. In addition to being a environmental guru, he is the Unicorn Killer.

While a student at the University of Pennsylvania, Mr. Einhorn dated a Bryn Mawr College graduate by the name of Holly Maddux. When the affair ended in 1977, Mr. Einhorn went into a jealous rage and murdered her."

Fanstastic, just fantastic. But look away dont pay any mind to the losers invloved or a murder committed, you need to focus on the wonderful, dewy eyed intent. Earth Day founded by a psychotic Wisconsin Democrat and a murderer.

GeneChing
04-23-2010, 09:40 AM
This seems to sit here better than on the media forum. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)

Oceans Review (http://www.newsinfilm.com/2010/04/22/oceans-review/)
Published by David Pinson on: April 22nd, 2010

OceansThe recent spike in the popularity of 3D movies has been driven by the audience’s desire to be completely immersed in our entertainment. We want to plug in. Oceans, the new underwater documentary from Disneynature, is a marvelous two-dimensional reminder of how effectively a film can transport you completely to a foreign world without the use of special effects. The only special effect on display here is Mother Nature in all her splendor.

The film begins with a question. “What exactly is the ocean, what is the sea?” French directors Jacques Perrin and Jacques Cluzaud’s film spans the Earth’s waters showing us the answer. It is a world populated by a huge variety of creatures, of which Océans presents the most bizarre and beautiful. We meet the blanket octopus that moves through the water like a sheet swaying in the wind. There are spider crabs that scuttle in herds and resemble legions of warriors clashing on the battlefield. My favorite is the footage of the mantis shrimp as he protects his home. No spoilers here, I will merely say the mantis shrimp knows kung fu.

The documentary is a companion piece to last year’s Earth Day release, the appropriately named Earth. Both are a bit of a throwback to Disney’s old documentary series “True-Life Adventures,” a collection of short, two-reel films that Walt Disney produced and presented with his films and television shows from 1948 to 1960. Disneynature is carrying on this tradition by making these first-rate documentaries an annual occurrence, already announcing next year’s installment, African Cats.

The narration by Pierce Brosnan is serviceable, but a tad weak. These nature docs are better suited for a standard crisp British accent guiding us through our odyssey — Morgan Freeman is pretty good at it too — but Brosnan continually comes off as pedestrian.

OceansThe film also has a terrible tendency of presenting mankind as a menace to the planet and its inhabitants. The main idea presented here is that the human race has thrown nature out of whack, a grim point of view that makes the film a little too preachy.

Perrin and Cluzaud’s footage contains some of the most amazing cinematography ever captured in a documentary, including a scene where the filmmakers were somehow able to keep pace with a pod of dolphins racing through the water at incredible speeds. Sections of the documentary are exhilarating and astonishing while other moments lull you into an almost hypnotic state. There’s also a delicate balance of the cute and cuddly mixed with the fanged and ferocious.

See Oceans on the big screen. Take the kids. Learn the secrets of the deep and meet the wondrous beasts that call it home. And don’t forget: the mantis shrimp knows kung fu.

Lucas
04-23-2010, 10:54 AM
nothing wrong with having a day to celebrate our planet. nothing wrong at all. and that murderer guy really had very little to do with the development of it. he was involved with invironmental groups and was the master of cerimonies during the first earth day event, but was not pivitol to the development of...in actuality HE claimed to have been instrumental in the development of earth day,w hich is disputed of course, basically its his word against everyone elses.........though i dont put a habit in believing the claims of murderers lol. so to say he started earth day is rather scewed, if any one person were to take claim, its a man named G@ylord Anton Nelson hes the principle founder of the movement.

which doesnt really matter anyway....none of those people matter. hate it love it, that doesnt matter either.

for some people everyday is a day to celebrate our planet. for others, they could not care less about the planet.

dont really see how its a bad thing to promote awareness though....

dont make me use my power ring to summon the captain!

Looting and polluting is not the way
Hear what Captain Planet has to say!

"The Power is Yours!"
LOL IM SUCH A D0RK!~!

http://nathan-lee.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/I_AM_CAPTAIN_PLANET_by_lastscionz.png.jpg

David Jamieson
04-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I just had a great Idea!

I'm going to kill the buddha, then clone him and kill him again.
Perpetually, for Earth day, until the sun eats earth in a couple of billion years.

sorry buddha. :(

:D

Lucas
04-23-2010, 03:11 PM
I'll help, but we're going to turn this into some superbestfriends fun.

we'll clone and murder Buddha, Moses, Joseph Smith, Krishna, Jesus, Lao Tzu, Muhammad and Sea Man.

David Jamieson
04-25-2010, 07:21 AM
I'll help, but we're going to turn this into some superbestfriends fun.

we'll clone and murder Buddha, Moses, Joseph Smith, Krishna, Jesus, Lao Tzu, Muhammad and Sea Man.

seaman? i kill lots of them regularly. :p

GeneChing
04-26-2010, 09:40 AM
uki was right - those Sun Chips bags are hecka noisy. They even come with a warning label on the bag. I'm taking them to movie theaters and golf tournaments. I wonder if I can arrange to place Sun Chip bags in the snack baskets for all the tai chi judges at TCKFMCII (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56385). ;)

GeneChing
07-21-2010, 09:53 AM
I just flipped my compost again last weekend and my noisy sun chip bag was still in there, right alongside my 'compostable' corn syrup cup. :mad:

I couldn't find my corn syrup fork, so maybe that actually did decompose. Maybe it was just covered with compost as I didn't sift it. I just flipped it.

Now I can't find those compostable sun chip bags anymore. I'm beginning to think sun chips had us on with that.

Hardwork108
07-24-2010, 05:47 AM
drive my Hummer over a beaver dam while eating a Big Mac;

You eat Big Macs?:eek:

I am not generally known for cowardice, but when faced with a situation where I have to eat Mc Donald's burgers, then I am not ashamed to run for the hills.....

I mean, I'd rather eat the beaver......:D

jdhowland
07-24-2010, 02:29 PM
You eat Big Macs?:eek:

I am not generally known for cowardice, but when faced with a situation where I have to eat Mc Donald's burgers, then I am not ashamed to run for the hills......:D

You can probably find some good nutrients in them thar hills.

It is my stated goal in life to be the oldest American who has never eaten at a McDonald's.

My wife tells me I have probably reached my goal but I doubt it. I don't think they have McD's in Shugnak, Egegik or Shaktoolik yet.

Hardwork108
07-24-2010, 05:17 PM
You can probably find some good nutrients in them thar hills.

It is my stated goal in life to be the oldest American who has never eaten at a McDonald's.

Hey congratulations. :)

And for that reason you will probably live a longer and healthier life than most Americans.:)

My wife tells me I have probably reached my goal but I doubt it. I don't think they have McD's in Shugnak, Egegik or Shaktoolik yet.

They will probably get there too as long as there are people naive enough to think that government regulators would not let anything harmful get into their food chain.

Other harmful chemicals include, Aspartame, Fluoride and Monosodium glutomate.

Lucas
07-24-2010, 09:06 PM
I just flipped my compost again last weekend and my noisy sun chip bag was still in there, right alongside my 'compostable' corn syrup cup. :mad:

I couldn't find my corn syrup fork, so maybe that actually did decompose. Maybe it was just covered with compost as I didn't sift it. I just flipped it.

Now I can't find those compostable sun chip bags anymore. I'm beginning to think sun chips had us on with that.

i wonder if its compostable but only after like 20 years or so lol

keep flippin!

taai gihk yahn
07-26-2010, 09:08 AM
I agree that humans will not be able to destroy the ecosystem of the planet; however, we are doing a darn fine job of making it less and less inhabitable for many species including ourselves; and yes, Mother Nature will put things into their proper place, which will include humans into the evolutionary dumpster; and Mother Nature will be FINE with that - "She" has no particular attachment to any species, does not subscribe to the belief that humans are the "superior" or "dominant" species - no, "She" will just do what she has always done - dance her dance of complexity, that of non-linear cause and effect;

as far as being "duped", I offer this little bit of food for thought:

contrarian hedge fund manager Jeremy Grantham,...in his July letter to investors, noted: “Conspiracy theorists claim to believe that global warming is a carefully constructed hoax driven by scientists desperate for ... what? Being needled by nonscientific newspaper reports, by blogs and by right-wing politicians and think tanks? I have a much simpler but plausible ‘conspiracy theory’: the fossil energy companies, driven by the need to protect hundreds of billions of dollars of profits, encourage obfuscation of the inconvenient scientific results. I, for one, admire them for their P.R. skills, while wondering, as always: “Have they no grandchildren?”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/opinion/25friedman.html?_r=2&src=me&ref=general

Kung
07-26-2010, 12:34 PM
I agree that humans will not be able to destroy the ecosystem of the planet; however, we are doing a darn fine job of making it less and less inhabitable for many species including ourselves; and yes, Mother Nature will put things into their proper place, which will include humans into the evolutionary dumpster; and Mother Nature will be FINE with that - "She" has no particular attachment to any species, does not subscribe to the belief that humans are the "superior" or "dominant" species - no, "She" will just do what she has always done - dance her dance of complexity, that of non-linear cause and effect;

contrarian hedge fund manager Jeremy Grantham,...in his July letter to investors, noted: “Conspiracy theorists claim to believe that global warming is a carefully constructed hoax driven by scientists desperate for ... what? Being needled by nonscientific newspaper reports, by blogs and by right-wing politicians and think tanks? I have a much simpler but plausible ‘conspiracy theory’: the fossil energy companies, driven by the need to protect hundreds of billions of dollars of profits, encourage obfuscation of the inconvenient scientific results. I, for one, admire them for their P.R. skills, while wondering, as always: “Have they no grandchildren?”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/opinion/25friedman.html?_r=2&src=me&ref=general

I agree 100% with this post.

Just watch penn and tellers BS show its a great show!

Hardwork108
07-26-2010, 01:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw

[/quote]

Although I agree with the view that the big energy companies are there to make money and exploit every thing and everyone in the process, I totally believe that the Man-made Global Warming theory is a scam, and many scientists seem to think so as well. If enough people are duped by this scam then the world population will be taxed and controlled, even more than it is now.

Let's all be very careful when con-men such as Al Gore, start giving us advice.....

jdhowland
07-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Here is what I believe on this topic:

1. Our polar bears in Alaska are starving for lack of pack ice.
2. Human activities contribute to global warming.
3. Warm air holds more moisture than cold air.
4. It has been an uncommonly rainy summer here.
5. We are still in an "ice age" in an interglacial phase.

What does this mean for future weather patterns? Hellifiknow. But couldn't we end up with a period of increased snowfall and advancing montain glaciers as we lose the drying effect of the polar caps? We could lose huge chunks of real estate, adding further to population pressures. Maybe I'll move south and become a Canuck.

Hardwork108
07-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Here is what I believe on this topic:

1. Our polar bears in Alaska are starving for lack of pack ice.
2. Human activities contribute to global warming.
3. Warm air holds more moisture than cold air.
4. It has been an uncommonly rainy summer here.
5. We are still in an "ice age" in an interglacial phase.

What does this mean for future weather patterns? Hellifiknow. But couldn't we end up with a period of increased snowfall and advancing montain glaciers as we lose the drying effect of the polar caps? We could lose huge chunks of real estate, adding further to population pressures. Maybe I'll move south and become a Canuck.

Many people including specialist scientists believe that the cyclical temperature variations on this planet are directly effected with the size and frequency of sunspots. Their points of view are hardly aired by the media, or even considered by the con-men, including Al Gore, who are pressing for world regulations and taxes (read: policies contributing to a planned and eventual World Government/Dictatorship)

Where I live in Colombia is going through an unusually rainy period. I am sure some one somewhere is saying that this is due to "Man-made:rolleyes:, Global Warming.

However, some old timers here are saying that up to the mid 1900s the temperature in this region was very wet and rainy. 9 to 1 says that their comments will never be heard.

Recently, we have been made to watch tv adverts that tell us that cows breaking wind is a factor that contributes to "Global Warming".

I believe that the masses are being treated like idiotic sheep and this scam is just one of the indicators. The "War on Terrorism", "The War on Drugs", and of course the constant threat from virus pandemics that are going to kill us all, unless we blindly do what our "caring" authorities tell us to do, are other indicators of the effort by authorities to control every aspects of our lives.

Dragonzbane76
07-31-2010, 10:22 PM
I totally believe that the Man-made Global Warming theory is a scam, and many scientists seem to think so as well.

I know this is unheard of but I agree with you on this point. I have read a lot of the debates on this and many in the science community believe that the "global warming" theory is just that a theory. Preach all you will about the polar ice caps melting but the actual hard evidence of this is not factual. History proves that the earth goes through cycles and many scientists state that we are in a warmer one at the moment.

I'm not going so far as the conspiracy theory crap but I will agree on this one point with you.

Hardwork108
08-01-2010, 01:33 AM
I know this is unheard of but I agree with you on this point. I have read a lot of the debates on this and many in the science community believe that the "global warming" theory is just that a theory. Preach all you will about the polar ice caps melting but the actual hard evidence of this is not factual. History proves that the earth goes through cycles and many scientists state that we are in a warmer one at the moment.

I'm not going so far as the conspiracy theory crap but I will agree on this one point with you.

Well if you agree with me on the fact that Man-Made Global Warming is not a fact, then you must agree that it is a LIE. Who is telling (or selling) us this lie? Al Gore, and his backers!

What happens if they manage to sell this lie to everyone? More taxes and more regulations that will restrict our daily lives, as well as global mechanisms (read: Global Government), to enforce the regulations and collect the taxes.

How do I know this? I know this because the very people who are selling us this scam, SAY SO!

NO sir, there is no conspiracy theory about this, only conspiracy FACT!

GeneChing
10-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm bummed. I liked those bags BECAUSE they were so noisy. The one in my compost still hasn't decomposed.

SunChips tosses biodegradable packaging (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/green/detail?entry_id=73989)

SunChips' whole brand identity is based on being a healthier, more environmentally friendly snack. The most substantial move Frito-Lay made to back those brand claims was to give the chips a biodegradable bag. But now the company is returning, at least temporarily, to conventional non-biodegradable, non-recyclable packaging.

Frito-Lay

The problem? The biodegradable packaging crinkled too loudly, because it's somewhat stiffer than the snack bags Americans are used to.

Bear with me, this is actually kind of important. First, it shows that corporations will backtrack on green commitments when it suits them. (SunChips sales were not so crisp, but whether the bag was to blame or not is unclear.)

According to Mother Jones blogger Kate Sheppard, SunChip-gate also shows just how little inconvenience American consumers are willing tolerate for the sake of the planet.

But I think Sheppard misses the point. It's not that Americans organized and voted on the SunChips bag, when they couldn't be bothered to do the same for the climate legislation whose last chance at working has probably already passed. No, Frito-Lay almost certainly got its consumer feedback from paid focus groups on the topic of SunChips packaging.

It's another case of blaming the people for failing to speak up when corporations have all the bullhorns.

USA Today notes that many consumers say they want greener packaging and then turn up their noses at it if it's not what they're used to. Noisiness does seem like a bizarre reason to reject a bag of chips, of all things. But there are bad green designs and good green designs, and my bet is that consumers will go for the good ones if corporations are willing to stick by them.

Have you eaten SunChips from the biodegradable bag? How loud is it?

Posted By: Cameron Scott (Email, Twitter, Facebook) | October 06 2010 at 03:18 PM

SunChips bag proves it not easy being 'green' (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/06/AR2010100606681.html)
Thursday, October 7, 2010

Noisy bag proves it's not easy being 'green'

-- What happens when being "green" also means being LOUD?

In April 2009, Frito-Lay, the snack-chip company, announced that all the bags for its SunChips would be made from plant material, meaning the bags would leave no waste behind. The problem was the new bag had an unusual molecular structure that made it noisy.

How noisy?

-- So noisy that people compared opening a bag to the sounds of lawnmowers and jet engines.

-- So noisy that SunChips sales have fallen by more than 11 percent in the past year.

-- So noisy that Frito-Lay has decided to go back to the original packaging on most flavors.

Frito-Lay says it will continue to try to find better ways to create environmentally friendly chip bags.

GeneChing
04-20-2012, 11:41 AM
My wife grew tired of seeing that chip bag in the compost so she threw it out. :(

I'm working a table for WildAid (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1166538) tomorrow at the Marine Science Center (http://www.sfbaymsi.org/). :cool:

Lucas
04-20-2012, 11:50 AM
LOL!!!!!!! pwnd

Featherstone
04-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Lowes is supposedly giving away a free baby tree on Earth Day this year?

GeneChing
04-22-2014, 08:28 AM
This year I'm not doing much to honor earth day - just telecommuting. :o

I moved last year and rent out my old house, so I don't really know the fate of our old compost bin anymore. We have a small one at our new home, but we don't really have a garden space, so it's really just a perch for the neighborhood cats.

Here's an odd tale forwarded to me today:

Earth Day co-founder killed, composted girlfriend (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42711922/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/earth-day-co-founder-killed-composted-girlfriend/#.U1alHyiIBrJ)
Ira Einhorn preached against Vietnam War and violence, but had dark side

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/110421-FarmerPhoto-0505p.grid-6x2.jpg
Michael J. Maicher / Temple University Libraries
Ira Einhorn was the master of ceremonies at the first Earth Day rally on April 22, 1970.
By Remy Melina
updated 4/21/2011 8:19:26 PM ET

Ira Einhorn was on stage hosting the first Earth Day event at the Fairmount Park in Philadelphia on April 22, 1970. Seven years later, police raided his closet and found the "composted" body of his ex-girlfriend inside a trunk.
A self-proclaimed environmental activist, Einhorn made a name for himself among ecological groups during the 1960s and '70s by taking on the role of a tie-dye-wearing ecological guru and Philadelphia’s head hippie. With his long beard and gap-toothed smile, Einhorn — who nicknamed himself "Unicorn" because his German-Jewish last name translates to "one horn" —advocated flower power, peace and free love to his fellow students at the University of Pennsylvania. He also claimed to have helped found Earth Day.
But the charismatic spokesman who helped bring awareness to environmental issues and preached against the Vietnam War — and any violence — had a secret dark side. When his girlfriend of five years, Helen "Holly" Maddux, moved to New York and broke up with him, Einhorn threatened that he would throw her left-behind personal belongings onto the street if she didn't come back to pick them up.
And so on Sept. 9, 1977, Maddux went back to the apartment that she and Einhorn had shared in Philadelphia to collect her things, and was never seen again. When Philadelphia police questioned Einhorn about her mysterious disappearance several weeks later, he claimed that she had gone out to the neighborhood co-op to buy some tofu and sprouts and never returned.
It wasn't until 18 months later that investigators searched Einhorn's apartment after one of his neighbors complained that a reddish-brown, foul-smelling liquid was leaking from the ceiling directly below Einhorn's bedroom closet. Inside the closet, police found Maddux's beaten and partially mummified body stuffed into a trunk that had also been packed with Styrofoam, air fresheners and newspapers.
After his arrest, Einhorn jumped bail and spent decades evading authorities by hiding out in Ireland, Sweden, the United Kingdom and France. After 23 years, he was finally extradited to the United States from France and put on trial. Taking the stand in his own defense, Einhorn claimed that his ex-girlfriend had been killed by CIA agents who framed him for the crime because he knew too much about the agency's paranormal military research. He was convicted of murdering Maddux and is currently serving a life sentence.
Although Einhorn was only the master of ceremonies at the first Earth Day event, he maintains that Earth Day was his idea and that he's responsible for launching it. Understandably, Earth Day's organizers have distanced themselves from his name, citing Gaylord Nelson, an environmental activist and former Wisconsin governor and U.S. senator who died in 2005, as Earth Day's official founder and organizer.
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Sen. Gaylord Nelson created Earth Day in the spring of 1970 as a way to bring national awareness to the fact that, at the time, there were no legal or regulatory mechanisms in place to protect the environment. About 20 million participants at various Earth Day events across the U.S. made Earth Day a success, and in December of 1970, Congress authorized the creation of a new federal agency to tackle environmental issues — the EPA.
Packing someone in styrofoam does NOT count as composting, but it makes a more sensational headline.

highlypotion
04-30-2014, 09:41 PM
We recycle plastic bags, bottles and other stuff. Also during Earth Hour, we turn off all our lights at home.

GeneChing
04-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Another year, another day spent telecommuting. I don't plan to drive my car at all today, which will hardly balance my typical 45 mile commute, but at least it's something.

This weekend I'm doing volunteer medical at Summit for the Planet, which is an Earth Day related walkathon. It'll be World Tai Chi & Qigong Day (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?56828-World-Tai-Chi-and-Qigong-Day&p=1283142#post1283142), but I'll wind up driving a lot because the Summit is many miles from San Francisco where I'll be that evening for Tan Dun's Martial Trilogy (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1218).

boxerbilly
04-22-2015, 11:18 AM
I make sure to burn all my plastic and man made stuff and I throw away all my recyclables.

Just kidding. But I do sometimes chuck recyclables. Aluminum cans and plastic soda/water bottles. Almost always when I am out and garbage cans are present. I've thought about just chucking those on the street. Figure the can guys that dig through cans looking for that stuff would appreciate it but I don't think the police would consider that a legitimate reason and ticket me more than the nickel I am throwing on the ground. But, I have reasoned that.

curenado
04-22-2015, 04:50 PM
We always do everything we can but not always perfect. Most of our activity tho is bio cooperative. We live by the environment others disregard and mock. Not very gong fu, but look at china? The same people will still be trying to make the same excuses for their selves through masks.
It is interesting to note in a klattu sort of way that this winter, in the acres here that were given to cotton have been planted in winter wheat - I don't think just for the fertilizer either. But it's certainly not enough so hm. It's just a bit raw that people who gave their whole career to right use are served the same as the oblivious trogs you steer with donuts and boobs. :)

boxerbilly
04-22-2015, 06:26 PM
We always do everything we can but not always perfect. Most of our activity tho is bio cooperative. We live by the environment others disregard and mock. Not very gong fu, but look at china? The same people will still be trying to make the same excuses for their selves through masks.
It is interesting to note in a klattu sort of way that this winter, in the acres here that were given to cotton have been planted in winter wheat - I don't think just for the fertilizer either. But it's certainly not enough so hm. It's just a bit raw that people who gave their whole career to right use are served the same as the oblivious trogs you steer with donuts and boobs. :)

Personally to me, this is pretty low on the we need to fix right now stuff. It is smoke and mirrors to cover the minds to deeper shi-t. It is like idiots screaming about a family of 4 on da welfare when they say jack shi-t about the same and more being spent on one freaking prisoner often up on marijuana charges yet, the guy that raped and killed is free in 7-10 and sometimes sooner because of over crowding but the pot dealer stays full term? I'll pass on corporate welfare other than to say, hmm. Or closer to the topic, complain about global heating and smog and ozone yet still drive because they can. We all pick and choose. So, I tend to choose John Coleman. I think he knows a thing or 2.

I also think that they are doing wonders with the trash digester methane plants. But, please anyone go and try and save (store) AC electricity. Oh you'll save on your bill but then it is just power being pushed around the lines at cost until it can be used. Which you will still be billed for another way. It is a joke.

boxerbilly
04-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Earth Day should really be about who has the most money to buy the best and most lobbyists.

boxerbilly
04-22-2015, 07:08 PM
It really fires me up to read ignorant shi-t. It is one thing to say one does not know and to ask questions. Basically recycling is a waste of time and energy. It causes more of the so called harm than just land filling the crap. Yet is generates billions in support and trade.
We are not running out of land to use.

At least those green peace people can be happy that the paper waste, a much bigger problem than plastic will ever become, has dropped thanks to computers. But we traded one evil for another. Computers come with their very own environment problems and **** it they need power. I bet most use AC. Dang it. I bet most leave theirs own 24/7. Oh man. The world is going to hell no matter what we try to do to fix our waste. I know, lets go back to the olden times!

Scarpe all dairy farms. All beef farms.All sheep farms and all that meat fur industry shi-t because that is the second largest methane gas polluter we have. ****ed if you do damed if you don't. But, one could pat themselves on the back believing they are better than another because that don't eat beef. Of course that same person my never ever do a **** thing to really help and often just parrots shi-t.

boxerbilly
04-22-2015, 07:24 PM
All these wasted cows. http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2014/02/rancho-beef-recall-hot-pockets. Sounds YUM though to eat organic. Costs more. Taste worse. Often filled with really bad things that go undetected until, opps, to late.Same as the good tasting store bought trash food that cause cancer, lmfao. Oh and the so called organic fertilizers some organic farmers use is can be more toxic to humans and the enviorment than the so called man made stuff. The more I look into any of these the more I realize it is all just a big joke. Tell me who are you going to believe? I guess it depends on what you read and got sold on. And that's it really. MONEY!

curenado
04-23-2015, 03:16 AM
Da welfare doesn't need fixing. We just going to not have all the people needing it.
http://enenews.com/professors-largest-mass-mortality-associated-disease-recorded-place-along-west-coast-hundreds-millions-died-epidemic-wiped-20-different-species-sea-life-along-fukushima-coast-missing-video

Maybe since we won't save earth we should change the name to rid of stupid day? :)

boxerbilly
04-23-2015, 07:47 AM
Da welfare doesn't need fixing. We just going to not have all the people needing it.
http://enenews.com/professors-largest-mass-mortality-associated-disease-recorded-place-along-west-coast-hundreds-millions-died-epidemic-wiped-20-different-species-sea-life-along-fukushima-coast-missing-video

Maybe since we won't save earth we should change the name to rid of stupid day? :)

****ed if you do ****ed if you don't. Fukushima was accidental. And when accidents happen on that magnitude we are never prepared. Sad but true. We can't control nature even though some think we can. Regardless, you turning off your light is not going to shut down a plant. It will not suddenly cause them to make less power. It does not work like that. What it may do is give them surplus they can move down the line and sell to another municipality at a premium. So unless you want to save some cash it is pointless!

Some people really believe they could actually survive being tossed back into the dark ages. Truth is most will perish if that ever happened. Those that do survive will likely not be the so called survivalists, homesteaders and such. And aside from catastrophies such as Fukushima what we do probably has such little impact it becomes pointless to worry about it. I don't think most people understand how big the earth really is.

But you are right. If we somehow do something that causes world shut down, well every living thing will just about will die. The world will heal it self and start over. I just don't think it will be caused by anything we do. It will most likely be something like a meteor causing this but as we wait for it to come into our atmosphere knowing we are all dead. We can feel good we cleaned up our minute area we occupy.

Kellen Bassette
04-23-2015, 08:41 AM
We are not running out of land to use.

Running out of land to use is not an issue, we have plenty of it. The issue is, historically, we have used the land and resources just about as poorly as we possibly could. Most places are deciding to change for the better since they realized dealing with the damage is more expensive than doing things right to begin with, some others are still trying to see how long they can get away with it.

boxerbilly
04-23-2015, 09:45 AM
Running out of land to use is not an issue, we have plenty of it. The issue is, historically, we have used the land and resources just about as poorly as we possibly could. Most places are deciding to change for the better since they realized dealing with the damage is more expensive than doing things right to begin with, some others are still trying to see how long they can get away with it.

There is no doubt we have essentially ruined areas for use for a long time. We won't live to see the regrowth of those areas. I am all for finding alternative energy but the more one looks into it the more one finds even that stuff is not all that great. Our need for petroleum based products even runs into most of the alternative methods. At best we can change the direction of the need for petroleum products possibly needing them less and less as a fuel source. But the powers that be will do everything possible to prevent viable alternates unless they own them in which case the generally shelves that stuff for use at a later time. Lets not stop the wheels of fortune on the commodity still producing returns.

And in highly populated cities air and water quality really suck. Trash disposal is a major problem because they only have so much land the municipality owns. As a whole no one works together. It just does not seem to work that way. Great in theory but essentially non existant in practice.

But the guy shaking his fist at the problem is doing **** all to resolve ****. He is no better a person than the guy) me in this case) saying it really does not matter in the grand scheme of things. One is useless to any real cause because he does nothing but parrot. The other just does not care enough because he believes we are being conned for the most part. And it all resolves around money distribution that none of us get anyway. Why help make someone rich if you do not agree with their finding?

At least some guys go out of their way to clean up man made disasters. No pay and at potential risk to their health. Same people will often show up to clean up nature made disasters as well. Those generally being far larger in scope than anything we cause. They deserve any real recognition. Not the chest thumpers that do f-uck all but complain and blue box their glass and plastic. Geez, thanks for the help. Or is it the fine that really persuades one to do so?

GeneChing
04-23-2015, 10:39 AM
:mad:

Maybe next year will go better. :rolleyes:

GeneChing
04-22-2019, 10:00 AM
Well, we missed the last 4 years, but not because 2015 got so sidetracked. It was just neglect. :(

Earth Day: How to be more eco-friendly in everyday life (https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47990742)
By Imran Rahman-Jones
Newsbeat reporter
8 hours ago

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/CFDD/production/_106531235_getty_top.jpgGETTY IMAGES

We've been hearing so much about climate change recently, and the facts don't look good.

The evidence shows that, thanks to human activity, global temperatures are rising at a level which isn't sustainable for the environment to be able to survive.

That's partly why there are people taking their clothes off in parliament and school kids going on strike.

(Plus, when the nation's grandad David Attenborough starts talking, it's probably worth listening.)

But it's difficult. We're being bombarded with scary stories and told that we must change our ways - and soon.

So what can we actually do? How can we make a difference when it seems like everything has a bad impact on the climate?

Well, Radio 1 Newsbeat has been chatting to sustainable bloggers for tips on easy changes we can make to help reduce our impact.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/5E3A/production/_106522142_editwastelandrebel-shiaandinfrontofpantry.jpgWASTELANDREBEL.COM
Shia Su - AKA the Wasteland Rebel

The first is not to beat yourself up if you forget your bag for life or your reusable cup - it will probably just add to your eco-anxiety.

"I never had the notion that I had to be perfect," says Shia Su from zero-waste blog Wasteland Rebel.

"I had no intention of going zero-waste. I read about it and I just thought it was cuckoo and unrealistic," she says.

But one day she decided to take a jar to her local coffee shop instead of asking for a takeaway one - and she grew greener from there.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/372A/production/_106522141_editwastelandrebel-atthebulkbins2.jpg
WASTELANDREBEL.COM

So how did Shia get to the point where she now says she can fit her entire year's waste into a litre-sized jar?

Her second tip - shared by most of the bloggers we spoke to - is about turning your good intentions into good habits.

Do whatever you can, and after a while it will become a habit," she says.

"Normally, when you leave the house you grab your phone, you grab your wallet, you grab your keys.

"After a while you'll grab your bottle, your food container and then you're good to go - it will become a habit."

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/BCAF/production/_106530384_gettyimages-913363280.jpgGETTY IMAGES
Keep it minimal

And the third tip that all our bloggers share is probably the one which involves the biggest change.

It's about living a minimal lifestyle - cutting out needless buys.

"Living a sustainable lifestyle is about consuming less in general," Shia says. "I only buy a new piece of clothing if another one needs replacing."

Shia says it's not as hard as it sounds: "A lot of things have already been done - we're just going back to them.

"Ask your grandparents, they can teach you a lot about how to not create trash.

"It's a really nice bonding experience as well. I think it makes them smile when I get out my hanky to blow my nose [instead of a disposable tissue]."

What else can I do to help me live a greener life?

We got other eco-bloggers and Instagrammers to give us their top tips on different areas of life.

Fashion

Tolmeia Gregory blogs about ethical fashion under the name TollyDollyPosh.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/147B4/production/_106529838_tolly.jpgTOLMEIA GREGORY
Tolmeia Gregory

Go vintage: "Do things like shopping second-hand and vintage, going to your local charity shop. You can also buy on sites like eBay and Depop."

Buy less: "If you can, just not shopping at all is a really great way to do it. Embracing what you already own and what's already in your wardrobe. There's a great phrase you hear a lot: 'Loved clothes last'".

Look for eco-friendly materials: "Look out for more natural fibres - go for cotton over polyester. Not only do they feel a lot nicer when you wear them, but don't contain things like microfibres that go into our water and into marine life when we wash our clothes."

Learn to DIY: "It doesn't take much to learn how to hand-sew and stitch up a hole. Or if you have a pair of ripped jeans that are becoming a bit too ripped, you could always cut them and keep them as shorts."

Food

Immy Lucas is a blogger and YouTuber who goes under the name Sustainably Vegan.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/7277/production/_106530392_immy2.jpgIMOGEN LUCAS
Immy Lucas

Consider a more plant-based diet: "I don't think everyone has to go vegan to make a huge change. The more realistic thing is for the majority of people cutting down meat consumption to a couple of days a week."

Eat as locally as possible: "If you're eating soy beans that are shipped from China or bananas that have been shipped from Colombia, that's not as sustainable as if you're eating apples grown in Kent. If you support your local farmers' market, you're also supporting more low-scale food agriculture which tends to be more kind to the Earth. "

Eat as seasonally as possible: "If you're eating tomatoes from the UK that aren't in season, then you know they've been grown in some huge greenhouse that uses a massive amount of resources to basically fake the weather. So you're using a massive amount of heat energy to grow the tomatoes out of season."

Think about packaging: "There are zero-waste shops where you buy unpackaged food. But you can also go to the supermarket, and make better choices by buying unpackaged fruit and vegetables, or opting for cans and cardboard that are widely recycled instead of plastic. So there are better choices that you can make in regular shops."

Beauty

Nicole Whittle - AKA VeganBeautyGirl - blogs about living a vegan life.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/16BC2/production/_106522139_editnicole_landscape2.jpgNICOLE WHITTLE
Nicole Whittle

Ditch the face wipes: "Just use a good old flannel like your nan's got in her bathroom, and a nice oil-based cleanser to help break down make-up at the end of the day. If you've got a baby and you need that on-the-go reliability, then you can find biodegradable wipes."

Buy package-free: "You can get shampoo, conditioner and body wash bars - they might cost a bit more but they last much longer. So the cost-per-use is a lot lower."

Think about your menstrual products: "Tampons and pads are single-use items, and not everyone disposes of them properly. The big change you can make is going to a menstrual cup, which is a silicone cup that catches all the blood and can be reused each month - they're not as scary as they sound. There's also menstrual underwear these days which is a lot more sustainable."

Big brands can also be eco-friendly: "A lot of the big beauty brands are really taking inspiration from the vegan environmental movement. It's great to see these changes happening. It's taken them a while but these brands have seen that there's future in these sorts of products."

Travel

Florine Hofmann runs The Wasted Blog, where she tries to find eco-friendly alternatives to everyday habits.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/F994/production/_106529836_florinehofmann2.jpgFLORINE HOFMANN
Florine Hofmann

Think about your journey: "We're so fortunate here in Europe - I usually try to take the train whenever I can. I'm conscious of trying to fly as little as possible."

Pack sustainably: "I recently bought a second-hand suitcase because it was already something that was made, and it was cheaper. I try to pack as minimally as possible - for instance my toiletries I try to reduce to soap and a shampoo bar, stainless steel razor and toothbrush. I don't want that much plastic trash in another country. I try to leave as little behind as possible."

Plan where you eat: "I usually do some research beforehand. I'm a massive foodie, so it's very important in my everyday life. But also because I want to support restaurants for instance that do think about their waste or whether they compost or not."

Local knowledge is best: "I love renting a bike in a new city and just exploring new areas. You find the best spots through talking to people and getting all the hidden gems."

Desiree Lester
05-21-2019, 01:10 AM
in any event World Tai Chi day represents something and isnt some politically persuaded , imbecilic influence and cash snatch.

GeneChing
05-21-2019, 09:26 AM
We have another thread devoted to World Tai Chi and Qigong Day (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?56828-World-Tai-Chi-and-Qigong-Day).