PDA

View Full Version : What would it take to fix mma

Ultimatewingchun
04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Here's a few suggestions:

First: A fighters union that insists on non-exclusivity in all contracts.

Second: More Real fighters and LESS jack of all trade, masters of none, tapout wearing wannabe fighters, that "Just like hit dudes in the face" that ufc is grooming on the TV show to flood & water down the PPV cards!

Third: A very big $ bonus if you win by KO, TKO, or submission.

Fourth: A new universal organization that sponsors an 8 man heavyweight mma tournament which lasts an entire weekend.

Friday night: 4 matches

Saturday night: 2 matches (with some LHW fights on the undercard)

Sunday night: final match between the last 2 heavyweight contestants (with some middleweight fights on the undercard)

Invitational to ALL fighters in every existing organization.

For example:
FEDOR
LESNAR
CAIN
CARWIN
OVEREEM
WERDUM
BARNETT
ROGERS

Yeah, I know...I'm dreaming. But hey, why not?

WHAT SUGGESTIONS DO YOU GUYS HAVE?

sanjuro_ronin
04-22-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't really like the sport of MMA.
I don't follow it, though I like to watch some of the matches of the better guys like GSP, and Silva.
I have gotten further and further away from watching "fights", even boxing.
Getting old I think...
LOL !

SoCo KungFu
04-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Here's a few suggestions:

First: A fighters union that insists on non-exclusivity in all contracts.

Second: More Real fighters and LESS jack of all trade, masters of none, tapout wearing wannabe fighters, that "Just like hit dudes in the face" that ufc is grooming on the TV show to flood & water down the PPV cards!

Third: A very big $ bonus if you win by KO, TKO, or submission.

Fourth: A new universal organization that sponsors an 8 man heavyweight mma tournament which lasts an entire weekend.

Friday night: 4 matches

Saturday night: 2 matches (with some LHW fights on the undercard)

Sunday night: final match between the last 2 heavyweight contestants (with some middleweight fights on the undercard)

Invitational to ALL fighters in every existing organization.

For example:
FEDOR
LESNAR
CAIN
CARWIN
OVEREEM
WERDUM
BARNETT
ROGERS

Yeah, I know...I'm dreaming. But hey, why not?

WHAT SUGGESTIONS DO YOU GUYS HAVE?

Why exactly does MMA need to be "fixed." Seems to be working quite well at the moment.

1) Nice thought, that's more an issue of lobbying than anything to do with actual hand to hand combat

2) The rules to be a professional fighter I would assume vary by state. But in SC I believe you have to have 5 wins at amateur level before you can accept a pro fight. Fights on the reality show are exibition fights at that so they don't even count on record. Meaning everyone on there has already fought and won at least some fights. To me that makes them more "real" fighters than most anybody else I'm just going to assume you have in mind. As for that jack of all trades nonsense. That's sort of the point in MMA you know. I mean you want to see what happens to a "master of one," look at Cheik Kongo or Damien Maia. And really its a reality show, take it for what it is.

3) Already do that

4) Illegal (at least in Nevada).
NAC 467.472 Time required to elapse before unarmed combatant competes in successive contest or exhibition. (NRS 467.030)

1. With respect to contests or exhibitions of boxing or kickboxing, without the special permission of the Commission, an unarmed combatant may not compete in this State unless:

(a) Four days have elapsed since his last contest or exhibition if the contest or exhibition lasted not more than 4 rounds.

(b) Seven days have elapsed since his last contest or exhibition if the contest or exhibition lasted 5 or 6 rounds.

(c) Fourteen days have elapsed since his last contest or exhibition if the contest or exhibition lasted 7 or 8 rounds.

(d) Twenty-one days have elapsed since his last contest or exhibition if the contest or exhibition lasted 9 or 10 rounds.

(e) Thirty days have elapsed since his last contest or exhibition if the contest or exhibition lasted 11 or 12 rounds.

2. With respect to contests or exhibitions of mixed martial arts, without the special permission of the Commission, an unarmed combatant may not compete in this State unless 4 days for each round that his last contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts lasted have elapsed since his last contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts.

(Added to NAC by Athletic Comm’n, eff. 11-2-88; A 12-2-97; R076-03, 12-3-2003)

6) Having different fighters of various promotions is just a dream. The smaller orgs have done it but UFC stands little to gain. They're just not going to bill it. They've said they won't do it. They turned down the idea with M1. Its got nothing to do with fighting, that's all business.

Frost
04-22-2010, 10:48 AM
lol i thought this was a thread about fight fixing

what exactly do you consider to be wrong in MMA?

if you answer that we can probably help you fix it?

from the list you gave i would think its poor standard of fighting, lack of knock outs, lack of a good heavyweight division and lord knows what the 8 man tourny is for?

as pointed out bonuses are already offered, fighting more than once in a tournement is illegal as pointed out o where you things a dream thing, the semis on another show and the final a few months later?

As for jack of all trades and masters of none LMAO ..... do you know how hard it is to actually become good at standup, clinch and ground? (oh wait you do know how hard it is i have seen your sparring clips) AND them look good doing that all against another fighter...especially when getting paid so little you have to work another job?

As for cross promotions dream on Dana will never allow it and i can;t see how it will make things better the only real suggestion worth making is pay these guys enough money so they can train and fight full time, and if you want good fights do as the japanese do and award fighting spirit and not just look at the win/lose stats thats a major reason guys hold back they are scared of losing and getting cut

goju
04-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't really like the sport of MMA.
I don't follow it, though I like to watch some of the matches of the better guys like GSP, and Silva.
I have gotten further and further away from watching "fights", even boxing.
Getting old I think...
LOL !

yep im pretty much on the same boat

lkfmdc
04-22-2010, 08:19 PM
MMA needs a real amateur league so that guys don't end up on national tv and look like beginners because they ARE beginners

goju
04-22-2010, 08:41 PM
mma tag team fights would also be a good improvement:D

Diesel_TKE
05-08-2010, 06:32 AM
I love the jack of all trades argument. UFC is not grooming jack of all trade fighters. They are grooming winners. If a master of one art was able to fight successfully in the UFC, he is. The problem is that there are a lack of people who can take their mastery and apply it to this particular event.

Frost
05-09-2010, 12:16 PM
I love the jack of all trades argument. UFC is not grooming jack of all trade fighters. They are grooming winners. If a master of one art was able to fight successfully in the UFC, he is. The problem is that there are a lack of people who can take their mastery and apply it to this particular event.

lol yes its a good arguement isn't it :)

im still waiting to find out what is wrong with MMA as it is.........

Ultimatewingchun
05-09-2010, 06:17 PM
"MMA needs a real amateur league so that guys don't end up on national tv and look like beginners because they ARE beginners."

***THAT'S a very good point, Dave Ross.

Ultimatewingchun
05-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I would have thought that my first post on the thread should have made it obvious what I think is wrong with present mma promotions, Frost.

KC Elbows
05-20-2010, 01:15 PM
lol yes its a good arguement isn't it :)

im still waiting to find out what is wrong with MMA as it is.........

If you haven't seen a bad amateur level event of mma, I'm not sure how familiar you are with mma events.

SoCo KungFu
05-20-2010, 02:28 PM
If you haven't seen a bad amateur level event of mma, I'm not sure how familiar you are with mma events.

That you know, is sort of the point of amateur competition.

Of course, if we wanted to start bashing competitors, we could start by the either pencil neck or severely overweight atrocities competing at the typical kung fu tournaments in that craptastic technical sparring. But we won't bring that up.....

goju
05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
the only thing id like to see added to mma back into mma is soccer kicks and head butting

KC Elbows
05-20-2010, 04:10 PM
That you know, is sort of the point of amateur competition.

Of course, if we wanted to start bashing competitors, we could start by the either pencil neck or severely overweight atrocities competing at the typical kung fu tournaments in that craptastic technical sparring. But we won't bring that up.....

You can bring that up just fine, my money doesn't go into such crap.

What I'm talking about is the total lack of any reliable measure of whether an amateur mma event is going to be worth the money, not necessarily by the measure of its competitors, but how worthwhile it will be for those competitors to put their time and money into such an event.

Dragonzbane76
05-20-2010, 06:09 PM
a good fighters union might help but i know that would probably never happen.

SoCo KungFu
05-21-2010, 04:23 AM
You can bring that up just fine, my money doesn't go into such crap.

What I'm talking about is the total lack of any reliable measure of whether an amateur mma event is going to be worth the money, not necessarily by the measure of its competitors, but how worthwhile it will be for those competitors to put their time and money into such an event.

There are some pretty hack events. But that's an issue of money and promotions and stuff. Not much that can be done from a fighter's POV. Just show up and try to put on a good fight. As far as competitors are concerned, as long as I'm not going to get tetanus off the cage I'm fine. A fight is a fight, one more step on the road. You should see some amateur boxing events. You never even know who (or if) you'll be fighting til everyone weighs in.

SoCo KungFu
05-21-2010, 04:29 AM
a good fighters union might help but i know that would probably never happen.

Honestly, I think it'd kill the low level regional MMA. Unions are weird in that they will be all varied state to state. And only the big promotions are going to be able to front them. Yeah it probably sucks getting paid only $300 a fight, but that's how it is. Some of these small events might be lucky to get 1000 people in attendance. $35 a ticket, that's not a lot of revenue by time you figure in all the costs.