PDA

View Full Version : anyone know what this is?

laughing tiger
07-13-2000, 12:21 PM
hello, friends! I am looking at a brochure from my new northern longfist and praying mantis school. It gives various info, including associations in China my Sifu, Master Y.M. Cheng is involved in (he is from Shandong).Among other things, It says he is a "9th degree black belt of Jong Shing Kuo Shu (kung fu) Goan". What is this? any help would be appreciated. Thanks :-)

Robinf
07-13-2000, 05:50 PM
Sorry, LT,

That's a new one to me.

GLW
07-13-2000, 10:30 PM
Jong Shing Kuo Shu (kung fu) Goan =

Jong Shing - a location, city or town.

Kuoshu Goan = Guoshu Guan - National Art School.

The most well known of this type of school name would be the Nanjing Central Guoshu Guan of the 1920s

So....there are three questions you have now:

Why does a Chinese Martial Arts school have belts so it can award 9th degree anything?

Where is Jong Shing?

What is the quality and curriculum of the Jong Shing Guoshu Guan?

Never heard of it though....

laughing tiger
07-14-2000, 01:14 PM
thank you very much for the info, buddy! I dunno. My Sifu is very well known throughout Shandong provence. I think the "9th degree black belt" quote is for americans, who dont understand traditional chinese rankings. The senior teacher under him said, when I joined the school, that he was a "9th degree master, according to 6 regional associations"...and named them. I only remember two of them. My Sifu is very traditional and follows very old ways...hard for me to ask him about such matters....he just would say "I not that special, really"

laughing tiger
07-14-2000, 01:25 PM
I know master Cheng is a direct descendent of Chen (taijiquan)....and studied with THE heavy guy in the 50's (name?). He is a senior councilman of the Tang Lang Chuan Union of San Dong (Shandong)...awarded master ranking in Buaguazhang and Hsing I Chuan with full acredidations. and senior member and official of Tai Chi Chuan Association of China.
I will get more info through the senior instructor under him, as I cant really ask Sifu directly (very traditional man) such an embarrassing (to him) thing. Thanks for the info! :-)

laughing tiger
07-14-2000, 01:29 PM
to watch him move...is a religious experience. I have studied under two previous Chinese Sifus, and watched a lot of classes from a lot of schools, and I have never seen anything like this man. Blows me away (I've been studying hard for around 26 years).

Iron_Monkey
07-28-2000, 02:28 AM
Laughing Tiger- I would like to know if your Sifu has heard of mine. Sifu Cheng Tsang Lu. He is from Taiwan and also teaches Sandong Longfist. His Sifu was Grandmaster Yin. Just wondering....