PDA

View Full Version : kung fu with fibromyalgia/cts

shaolin_allan
04-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Hey everyone I hope I posted this in the correct forum. The last style I have recently begun to study was wing tsun but I was considering also returning to my old sifu who teaches the northern shaolin system of styles. Can anyone share with me from personal experience which of these two you think would be better for rebuilding strength and health since I havent really dedicated myself to kung fu for a few years? I wouldnt say im only taijiquan capable but it is an excellent system. I still enjoy more physical styles also. Thanks in advance to everyone who posts.

David Jamieson
05-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Hey everyone I hope I posted this in the correct forum. The last style I have recently begun to study was wing tsun but I was considering also returning to my old sifu who teaches the northern shaolin system of styles. Can anyone share with me from personal experience which of these two you think would be better for rebuilding strength and health since I havent really dedicated myself to kung fu for a few years? I wouldnt say im only taijiquan capable but it is an excellent system. I still enjoy more physical styles also. Thanks in advance to everyone who posts.

Just go exercise. It doesn't matter what kind of exercise, any will do.

the more you stuff it into a framework of which is better the more you impede yourself from starting.

just get started and if you want to change track once you're underway, then that is another bridge you'll get to.

:)

sanjuro_ronin
05-03-2010, 08:31 AM
My sister had real bad fibromyalgia, since she started weight training is has improved dramatically !
Load bearing exercises that strengthen the bones and tendons are very beneficial to people that suffer from fibromyalgia.

Shaolin
05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Just go exercise. It doesn't matter what kind of exercise, any will do.

the more you stuff it into a framework of which is better the more you impede yourself from starting.

just get started and if you want to change track once you're underway, then that is another bridge you'll get to.

:)

I completely agree. But Shaolin is still far more superior.

sanjuro_ronin
05-04-2010, 06:00 AM
You must be careful with explosive and ballistic movements, especially done "in the air" with no resistence.

Blacktiger
05-04-2010, 09:40 PM

I have had some experience with Fibro - dont worry about styles to much but just get out there and get the body going....your body is going to give you feedback on what it likes and dislikes with this condition.

Make sure in conjunction with your training you are also regulary getting body work such as Shiatsu or massage etc - this way you are giving your system the best chance to be able to deal with and integrate the changes going on within the body without aggravating the condition further.