PDA

View Full Version : Sup gee

diego
04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
What does it mean to you and how many styles have one?. All I know right now is it is the Bak Mei demo set with many variations and CLC got it from Loong Ying and its basis is from Wanderer style.

David Jamieson
04-27-2010, 07:45 AM
sup gee is also a sil lum thing as in lohan sup gee kuen.

which would be at odds with a bak mei style I guess, seeing as there was that whole thing with bak mei killing the shaolins and such according to legend and countless tales, tv stories and movies. :)

sanjuro_ronin
04-27-2010, 07:52 AM
One shouldn't really care how a form is done outside a given "lineage" or school.
Look at sanchin for example, there are countless of variations, not only from system to system but from style to style and even teacher to teacher.
Variations are not only natural, they show how a teachers understanding of that form mas changed over their life time, some times the same teacher can teach the same form in different ways to different students.
Nothing at all wrong with that.

TenTigers
04-27-2010, 08:02 AM
sup ji simply means + shaped. Sup is written like a plus sign, and Ji is short for Hanji, or Hanzi-meaning ideogram, character, or..shape. When viewed from the top the pattern (embusen) is in a cross, or plus sign. Many schools have sets that follow this pattern.

Eddie
04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
sup gee is also a sil lum thing as in lohan sup gee kuen.

oh wow, I just saw some guy performing a form last week. When I asked him what the form was he said shaolin shi ji 十字. I thought maybe he just used that as a generic term for the name, didnt realise that it was actually a real form.

:cool:

David Jamieson
04-27-2010, 09:57 AM
sup ji simply means + shaped. Sup is written like a plus sign, and Ji is short for Hanji, or Hanzi-meaning ideogram, character, or..shape. When viewed from the top the pattern (embusen) is in a cross, or plus sign. Many schools have sets that follow this pattern.

sup is "10" isn't it?

I guess it really does all come down to the character and not the romanized phonetic pronunciation. lol :p

TenTigers
04-27-2010, 01:15 PM
sup is "10" isn't it?

I guess it really does all come down to the character and not the romanized phonetic pronunciation. lol :p
opps, yeah. I forgot to mention "sup" means "ten."
My Cantonese must be getting better. I'm starting to think in Chinese.:p

jmd161
05-17-2010, 06:00 PM
The first form of Hung Fut I learned was a Sup Ji kuen form... We don't have one in Hak Fu to my knowledge.

Yum Cha
05-17-2010, 07:35 PM
What does it mean to you and how many styles have one?. All I know right now is it is the Bak Mei demo set with many variations and CLC got it from Loong Ying and its basis is from Wanderer style.

Hi Diego,

Pak Mei form "Sup Ji" Also called "Sek Sze", "Sek Sze Sup Ji" Or "Sek Sze Sub Ji Kau La Kuen" or whatever else your Sifu taught you.

It translates to 'stone lion cross form', more or less.

the "Stone Lion" part, sek sze, has a double meaning. Cheung Lai Cheun's first teacher was Lam Sek, he taught this to CLC, and CLC kept it. Stone Lion also means, Lam Sek, the Lion. Thus, Lam Sek the Lion's Cross Form (with Kau La - one of our basic ready stances.) The form is thus an honour to Lam Sek.

I believe it is from Wanders or Li Gar, if you want to get really forensic about it. It is Hakka Boxing, not really like Loong Ying, which is taken into the style in the form "Ying Jau Lin Que".

The form is not cross shaped as Ten mentioned, although he is right probably 99% of the time - the 'cross' refers to a primary training in the form, which is to cross your opponents arms, jamming him, so you have the extra hand and can strike unfettered.

Some contend it is the best straight-forward fighting form, and thus the first one taught.

FWIW.

TenTigers
05-17-2010, 08:35 PM
hmmm..I learned Bak Mei Sup Ji Kuen years ago, and it actually does go in a sup ji pattern. But the crossing of the opponent does sound pretty cool.

Yum Cha
05-17-2010, 09:59 PM
hmmm..I learned Bak Mei Sup Ji Kuen years ago, and it actually does go in a sup ji pattern.

:D Well, ok....

to my mind, maybe an H on its side? two overapping Ts?

In all fairness, there are two versions of "sup ji' done by some of the HK branch, I think, sometimes called Di and Siu (big and little). That might account for some variations. Another step or two and the T becomes an +.

Lee Chiang Po
05-22-2010, 01:32 PM
No, no. Sup Gee, or Sup G, is only an ebonic street greeting. When you walk up to a friend or associate you simply say, Sug G? Then he say, Yo mang, wad up?

jmd161
05-22-2010, 08:59 PM
No, no. Sup Gee, or Sup G, is only an ebonic street greeting. When you walk up to a friend or associate you simply say, Sug G? Then he say, Yo mang, wad up?

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=3751)

David Jamieson
05-23-2010, 07:38 AM

lol. dude, that's pretty funny.

Yum Cha
05-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Sup Lee? 2345

LoneTiger108
05-24-2010, 07:51 AM

It's interesting that you relate the ten character to the shape the form makes on the ground. Has anyone heard it related to the actual arms being crossed at the forearm in front of the body to make the sup/ten character?

This is the opening signature of all Wing Chun schools... :cool:

TenTigers
05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
sup ji sau is a common technique used in Southern Siu-Lum systems.
Basically, anytime there is a cross, it will be called sup ji. Whether it is a sup-ji step, sup-ji hands, sup-ji pattern, etc. Just as people use the term,"X-block."

taai gihk yahn
05-24-2010, 10:26 AM
the other thing to consider about the "sahp jih" is that the "+" character is symbolic for the meeting point of heaven (vertical line) and earth (horizontal line); and of course, at the meeting of heaven and earth you have man; so practicing in a "sahp jih", one is reaffirming the basic relationship of oneself to the cosmos - so it's a bit archetypal / symbolic / really deep; also, in Buddhism, you have the "sahp fong" or Ten Directions, which are representative of the totality of existence (up, down, forward, back, left, right, and the 4 diagonals / corners); a "man jih" (lit. "10,000 character") is another way of representing this as well - the 2 crossed lines, sometimes off-set at a diagonal, with 90˚ lines at each tip to represent movement / spinning of the cosmos / dharma wheel / the mind, etc.;

this was some seriously heavy shiite I just laid down on you trogs; you may have to lay down for a while after contemplating the vastness of it all;

TenTigers
05-24-2010, 10:36 AM
yeah, well luckily I'm like, deep n'stuff...

LoneTiger108
05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
this was some seriously heavy shiite I just laid down on you trogs; you may have to lay down for a while after contemplating the vastness of it all;

Do I have to lay down in a cross shape? :p;)

Syn7
08-20-2010, 05:34 PM
ive seen a choy li fut sup gee and i think a lung yi one...

i imagine their are hundreds of sup gee forms... the cross is a pretty common pattern...