PDA

View Full Version : PRAYING MANTIS FIGHTING

mantis man
07-14-2000, 11:12 PM
I had been looking for a traditional praying
mantis sifu for years before I finally found
one who really seemed to understand the fighting applications from the forms.My experience has been that there is too much emphasis on tournament sparring,and not on how to use the actual movements from the forms.Anybody feel the same?

mantis108
07-14-2000, 11:37 PM
Hi Mantis Man,

Welcome aboard, I hear you. Unfortunately most people are content with one or two aspect(s) of the truth. May I ask which branch of Mantis are you studying and how long? I take Tai Chi Praying Mantis under Sigung Chui Chuk Kai's lineage.

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa

mantis man
07-14-2000, 11:53 PM
I have been studying Wah Lum Praying Mantis
for about 6 years in Worcester,MA.It's not a
commercial school,which is what I like about it.I'm there for the kung fu,not the fancy surroundings.

KeyEssence
07-15-2000, 10:41 AM
Mantis man...........You must study under sifu Dana Ostiguy....im for millbury.....been studying for about 8 years maybe we could train sometime??

mantis man
07-15-2000, 05:16 PM
KeyEssence,
I'm surprised you know my sifu.He leads a fairly quiet life,and pretty much stays out of the limelight.If I can find the time,I'd like to get together,and train with you.By the the way,I saw your sifu at the 30th anniversery show.Looked great!

Si Hing
07-17-2000, 08:11 AM
Hello Again!

Mind if I poke along with you and Key essence when the training starts??

)))))Si Hing(((((((

mantis man
07-18-2000, 08:12 PM
SI-HING
I have no problem with that.Hey,do you two do san sao sparring?

Taijimantis
07-20-2000, 10:49 AM
While tournament fighting is fun it generally limits the techniques that make up our styles.

My Sifu recently went to his first tournament. At 65 and a traditional Chinese Grandmaster, he was not tmpressed with what he called "I get you."

Before the tournament a senior student with quite a bit of tournament competition expirience, explained the rules of sparring to him.

"No kicking below the waist, no trapping, no throwing, no sweeping, no open hand techniques..."

To which Sifu replied...

"You cant use my kung fu?"

let sport be sport. Kung Fu is not a sport.

Buddha Smiles.
Namaste.

mantis man
07-24-2000, 09:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KeyEssence:
Mantis man...........You must study under sifu Dana Ostiguy....im for millbury.....been studying for about 8 years maybe we could train sometime??[/quote]

KeyEssence,
You still up for some training?

XfeihungX
07-25-2000, 07:56 AM
hey sup mantisman~!
i'm also from the millbury school and me and keyessence are really good friends...he told me today how he met you...and i just wanted to let you kno i'm also interested in workin out wit you guys too....soon keyessence and i are gonna start stopping by at dana's again to work out with him....we just gotta call him first before we do...hope to see you soon....kewl

mantis man
07-26-2000, 02:52 AM
Both of you guys have been to my kwoon before,and trained with my sifu? Did you guys do any fighting? Come on over kung fu cousins.It would be awesome to have somebody different to train with.I hope Sifu starts doing a little advertising again so we can get some more bodies in here.Hope to see ya soon.

TONG LONG LOI
07-29-2000, 11:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KeyEssence:
Mantis man...........You must study under sifu Dana Ostiguy....im for millbury.....been studying for about 8 years maybe we could train sometime??[/quote]

I went to the WAH LUM website and didn't see a sifu DanaOstiguy listed under the certified instructors.Is this guy a phony or what?

mantis man
08-01-2000, 02:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TONG LONG LOI:
I went to the WAH LUM website and didn't see a sifu DanaOstiguy listed under the certified instructors.Is this guy a phony or what?[/quote]

No,he's not a phony.If you would like info about him you can call the New England headquarters for Wah Lum,in Boston Chinatown.
(617)-350-7530