PDA

View Full Version : Don't mess with Texas

1bad65
04-28-2010, 07:09 AM
"AUSTIN, Texas – Pistol-packing Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.

Perry told The Associated Press on Tuesday he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger — loaded with hollow-point bullets — when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the undeveloped area.

When one came out of the brush toward his daughter's Labrador retriever, Perry charged.

"Don't attack my dog or you might get shot ... if you're a coyote," he said Tuesday.

Perry, a Republican running for a third full term against Democrat Bill White, is living in a private house in a hilly area southwest of downtown Austin while the Governor's Mansion is being repaired after a 2008 fire. A concealed handgun permit holder, Perry carries the pistol in a belt.

"I knew there were a lot of predators out there. You'll hear a pack of coyotes. People are losing small cats and dogs all the time out there in that community," Perry said.

"They're very wily creatures."

On this particular morning, Perry said, he was jogging without his security detail shortly after sunrise.

"I'm enjoying the run when something catches my eye and it's this coyote. I know he knows I'm there. He never looks at me, he is laser-locked on that dog," Perry said.

"I holler and the coyote stopped. I holler again. By this time I had taken my weapon out and charged it. It is now staring dead at me. Either me or the dog are in imminent danger. I did the appropriate thing and sent it to where coyotes go," he said.

Perry said the laser-pointer helped make a quick, clean kill.

"It was not in a lot of pain," he said. "It pretty much went down at that particular juncture."

Texas state law allows people to shoot coyotes that are threatening livestock or domestic animals. The dog was unharmed, Perry said.

Perry's security detail was not required to file a report about the governor discharging a weapon, said Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Tela Mange.

"People shoot coyotes all the time, snakes all the time," Mange said. "We don't write reports."

The governor left the coyote where it fell.

"He became mulch," Perry said."

Source:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100427/ap_on_re_us/us_governor_shoots_coyote

David Jamieson
04-28-2010, 07:40 AM
what a weird little world...

SnowDog
04-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Why did he even bring this up? Also, It says the incident happened in Feb, why is this even National news?

This has to be the most pointless thing I've read in a long time. I understand people defending their pets (even though I'm sure he could have chased it off instead) , but the way he's bragging it sounds like a little kid thinking he's Billy the Kid because he fired a gun.

And please don't tell me that he's trying to sound like a bada$$. It's not like he took down a charging bear with a Bowie Knife. He took down a F-ing Coyote with a laser-sighted Semi-Auto with hollow-tips (which by his own admission froze when he yelled at it).

kfson
04-28-2010, 10:42 AM
It's election time.

Besides, when I go to my boss's ranch, I carry a snake charmer. Rattlers abound.

One's gots to have guns to live in Texas, unless you're one of them there long hairs that live in Austin... then it's usually a bong and a Democrat voting card or who knows, maybe they're commies.

solo1
04-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Texas talking about writing an Arizona type immigration law!! outstanding. Utah will be voting on one this week, Ohio is on board. This is moving across the country! good news for the law abiding.

1bad65
04-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Texas talking about writing an Arizona type immigration law!! outstanding. Utah will be voting on one this week, Ohio is on board. This is moving across the country! good news for the law abiding.

Good news for the law abiding, bad news for the Democrats. :D

Notice the hypocracy from the Obama regime. When the State of California chose to decriminalize and tax marijuana, which is against Federal law, the regime said they would not have a problem with that. But when Arizona chose to enact a law the regime does not like, they are threatening to try and stop Arizona from enforcing the law they chose to pass.

SanHeChuan
04-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Texas is due another democratic governor.

1bad65
04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Texas is due another democratic governor.

Why would we want to follow California, New York, or Michigan into bankruptcy?

Drake
04-28-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm willing to bet a gunshot in the air or ground would have run it off.

David Jamieson
04-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Texas should secede and get lost already. :p

Sick of the macho BS posturing around 10 gallon hats, bar-b-ques and handguns to shoot animals with laser sights.

yee haw!

lol

kfson
04-29-2010, 06:02 AM

Sick of the macho BS posturing around 10 gallon hats, bar-b-ques and handguns to shoot animals with laser sights.

yee haw!

lol

Step away from your TV.

kfson
04-29-2010, 06:03 AM

Not in the near urban environment.

David Jamieson
04-29-2010, 06:08 AM
Step away from your TV.

tv? I'm talking about these forums! lol not to mention the pervasive cultural paradigm that is emitted by Texans themselves.
seems every time a texan gets to talk to the world, they talk about Texas, guns, b-b-q, oil and cowboys.

hence the perception of texas.

:)

kfson
04-29-2010, 06:10 AM
tv? I'm talking about these forums! lol not to mention the pervasive cultural paradigm that is emitted by Texans themselves.
seems every time a texan gets to talk to the world, they talk about Texas, guns, b-b-q, oil and cowboys.

hence the perception of texas.

I missing it, I guess.

My Canadian friends down here seem to really like Texas, go figure.

1bad65
04-29-2010, 07:14 AM

It would have. Then it would have returned. When coyotes find a source of food, they don't leave the area. The article mentioned that area pets had been being killed by coyotes.

1bad65
04-29-2010, 07:17 AM
Here is a hilarious video of a coyote being shot. It's not the shooting that's funny, it's what the redneck guy says after shooting it that is absolutely hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa3V5tZXT7U

mawali
04-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Like the present gun laws, the present immigration laws should be enforced.
Why waste taxpayers money to fix something that doesn't need fixing. ENFORCEMENT!

My problem is with 2 faced elected oficials of both parties, who have made their positions career availabe to rob the people, smile in their face just to rip them off!
They want to keep thier great health care benefits WHILE denying the same to their respective districts. Kick them out, please!

solo1
04-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Good news for the law abiding, bad news for the Democrats. :D

Notice the hypocracy from the Obama regime. When the State of California chose to decriminalize and tax marijuana, which is against Federal law, the regime said they would not have a problem with that. But when Arizona chose to enact a law the regime does not like, they are threatening to try and stop Arizona from enforcing the law they chose to pass.

Its even uglier for democrats as these type of laws pass across the country. you have to produce documentation for everything, drivers license, proof of age, SSN, or a green card, but you have to produce nothing to vote, thats about to change, big time under these types of laws. Look for early voting to disappear, a huge benefit to democrats and easily rigged. Look no further then Jennifer Brunner in Ohio, shes a sniveling democrat shill and probably guilty of massive vote rigging and fraud. Shes running for a higher seat but couldnt raise 50 bucks if her life depended on it. If you are asked to produce valid ID, proving your a citizen or legally in the country democrats will be destroyed. Next up no representation without taxation, you are one of the 47% paying no taxes you should not be allowed to determine how money is spent by elected officials on behalf of those who pay. Bet on it. November cant get here fast enough.

David Jamieson
04-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Like the present gun laws, the present immigration laws should be enforced.
Why waste taxpayers money to fix something that doesn't need fixing. ENFORCEMENT!

My problem is with 2 faced elected oficials of both parties, who have made their positions career availabe to rob the people, smile in their face just to rip them off!
They want to keep thier great health care benefits WHILE denying the same to their respective districts. Kick them out, please!

you can't "kick" anyone out. You have to vote them out.
Voting is t he mechanism of change in politics at the lowest form of actionable items.

Another way is to campaign yourself and present your own ideas to the people, attempt to get elected and then attempt to get bills and legislation written into law that you believe are right and that your constituents will support you for.

That's how democracy works.

Now I can appreciate someone not being pleased with the policies being enacted by a politician they didn't vote for and there is certainly an option to write to someone and to express your dissatisfaction. next time round, vote for the person who you do agree with and encourage everyone else to do so as well.

perhaps you can even get laws reversed in this way. :p

1bad65
04-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Its even uglier for democrats as these type of laws pass across the country. you have to produce documentation for everything, drivers license, proof of age, SSN, or a green card, but you have to produce nothing to vote, thats about to change, big time under these types of laws. Look for early voting to disappear, a huge benefit to democrats and easily rigged. Look no further then Jennifer Brunner in Ohio, shes a sniveling democrat shill and probably guilty of massive vote rigging and fraud. Shes running for a higher seat but couldnt raise 50 bucks if her life depended on it. If you are asked to produce valid ID, proving your a citizen or legally in the country democrats will be destroyed. Next up no representation without taxation, you are one of the 47% paying no taxes you should not be allowed to determine how money is spent by elected officials on behalf of those who pay. Bet on it. November cant get here fast enough.

The serfs have had enough. We are sick of working our asses off so liberals can give away OUR money to keep themselves in office. People have finally figured this out. November is gonna be a disaster for them.

SanHeChuan
04-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Why would we want to follow California, New York, or Michigan into bankruptcy?

Yes god forbid we get another Ann Richards on the edge of bankruptcy with a record surplus. :confused:

1bad65
04-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Yes god forbid we get another Ann Richards on the edge of bankruptcy with a record surplus. :confused:

So then explain why the three States (NY, Cal, Mich) with the biggest financial problems have had decades upon decades of Democrat governors. ;)

SnowDog
04-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Ummmmm, Doesn't CA have a Republican Gov, and wasn't Regan Gov of CA for a while too.

SnowDog
04-29-2010, 12:16 PM
List of GOVs for last 40yrs

MI -
42 John Swainson January 1, 1961 January 1, 1963 Democratic
43 George W. Romney January 1, 1963 January 22, 1969 Republican
44 William Milliken January 22, 1969 January 1, 1983 Republican
45 James Blanchard January 1, 1983 January 1, 1991 Democratic
46 John Engler January 1, 1991 January 1, 2003 Republican
47 Jennifer Granholm January 1, 2003 Incumbent Democratic

CA -
31 Goodwin Jess Knight October 5, 1953 January 5, 1959 Republican
32 Edmund Gerald "Pat" Brown, Sr. January 5, 1959 January 3, 1967 Democratic
33 Ronald Reagan January 3, 1967 January 6, 1975 Republican
34 Edmund Gerald "Jerry" Brown, Jr. January 6, 1975 January 3, 1983 Democratic
35 George Deukmejian January 3, 1983 January 7, 1991 Republican
36 Pete Wilson January 7, 1991 January 4, 1999 Republican
37 Joseph Graham "Gray" Davis January 4, 1999 November 17, 2003 Democratic
38 Arnold Schwarzenegger November 17, 2003 incumbent Republican

NY -
49 Nelson Rockefeller January 1, 1959 December 18, 1973 Republican
50 Malcolm Wilson December 18, 1973 December 31, 1974 Republican
51 Hugh Carey January 1, 1975 December 31, 1982 Democratic Mario Cuomo
52 Mario Cuomo January 1, 1983 December 31, 1994 Democratic
53 George Pataki January 1, 1995 December 31, 2006 Republican
54 Eliot Spitzer January 1, 2007 March 17, 2008 Democratic
55 David Paterson March 17, 2008 Incumbent Democratic

---- Since '61 MI is dead even w/ 3 and 3 , CA has had more Reps since '53 5 to 3, And since '59 NY is dead even at 3 and 3.

So the 3 economic holes in this country that you pointed out - combined actually had more Reps than Dems running them in the last 40yrs, so how is this only the fault of liberal Dems?????

SanHeChuan
04-29-2010, 12:21 PM
So then explain why the three States (NY, Cal, Mich) with the biggest financial problems have had decades upon decades of Democrat governors. ;)

Texas has only had 5 Republican govenors, and 39 democratic ones. Though the parties haven't always been what they are now. If you just look at the last 50 years we have had 5 (D) and 3 (R).

California has a Republican Governor.

Michigan took a hit with the Auto industry.

New york is in trouble because of Wall Street.

SnowDog
04-29-2010, 12:23 PM
It would have. Then it would have returned. When coyotes find a source of food, they don't leave the area. The article mentioned that area pets had been being killed by coyotes.

This is what happens when you move out west where there are still predators.

I'm so sick of people moving out to the pretty parts of the west with the pretty mtns and valleys, rivers etc..., putting up their $500k+ homes and paved bike trails, street lights etc, then *****ing when their yappy dog that they left outside gets eaten by predator. That's how it works folks, you leave your kitty or fifi out when your backyard is pressed against a wild area and SUPRISE, something is going to come get a snack.

kfson
04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
This is what happens when you move out west where there are still predators.

I'm so sick of people moving out to the pretty parts of the west with the pretty mtns and valleys, rivers etc..., putting up their $500k+ homes and paved bike trails, street lights etc, then *****ing when their yappy dog that they left outside gets eaten by predator. That's how it works folks, you leave your kitty or fifi out when your backyard is pressed against a wild area and SUPRISE, something is going to come get a snack.

I live in inner suburban Dallas... with a creek a quarter mile away... with seen/known coyotes (they have a kind of lope to their gate). Squirrels, cats, Toy Poodles, opossums, armadillos, raccoons abound and are easy prey.

Lucas
04-29-2010, 02:14 PM
sadly this is the mentality that put the western gray wolf on the brink...keep your poodles in your hand bags at the mall. leave the outdoors to men who can take it.

Pork Chop
04-29-2010, 08:40 PM

yee haw!

lol

not all of us think a gun is an adequate replacement for a noted lack in length or girth of genitalia; just as not all of us think a truck is an adequate replacement for it either... but then some of us don't have a deficiency to make up for. :)

the 2 guys i (used to) work with that liked to brag about how tough they were with their guns are both under 5'5", a buck 60, and couldn't throw a punch if their life depended on it (tried to train one of them).

that being said, i respect the nra, the right to bear arms, and i love texas.

btw, i don't live in "hippie town", i live in the bigger city an hour south, that most of the "hippies" don't like.

when you press them for a reason why they don't like my city, first, they go with the "well austin is so green and eviro-friendly"; to which i usually respond "yeah? then how come you guys pay to ship your recycling down here to our plant?".

when i *really* push them for a reason, they look around cautiously, lean in, and whisper quietly "too many mexicans".

so much for the "enlightened liberals" of our state capital.

i love my town (http://www.visitsanantonio.com/index.aspx)
we're military (flyboys more than grunts) and kinda working class.
we party hard when it's time to party and we fight if you mess with us.
the women are hot & really down to earth; none of that stuck up, dallas, "do you drive a beamer? if not, then leave me alone" bs.
lots of hispanic architecture & influence (did I mention hot women?).
We got: fiesta (a week of parties on par with mardi gras), sea world, the river walk, spurs basketball, fiesta texas theme park, good bbq, the best tex mex, the alamo, a killer zoo, guadalupe river, lots of outdoor activities within striking distance, a reasonable cost of living, and just as much hill country as austin has but without half the traffic.

i take it personally when people bust on texas
a lot of us do
oddly enough, it's a bit like the Yankees (baseball): popular culture has deemed it "okay" to bash Texas & Texans, so of course if we're passionate about our home towns, we're not going to take that lightly.

we're not all hicks and we don't all wear 10 gallon hats.
i wouldn't say we're "macho", because that implies a false sense of bravado.
i liken it more to a fierce streak of independence and an unwillingness to back down when challenged.

kfson
04-30-2010, 06:02 AM
none of that stuck up, dallas, "do you drive a beamer? if not, then leave me alone" bs.

Check out Oak Cliff or Fort Worth, although they tend to lean left.

Fly Kelly Field!

KC Elbows
04-30-2010, 07:11 AM
we're not all hicks and we don't all wear 10 gallon hats.
i wouldn't say we're "macho", because that implies a false sense of bravado.
i liken it more to a fierce streak of independence and an unwillingness to back down when challenged.

The unwillingness to back down comes from the cultural influence of machismo.

The irony of cowboy culture is that it comes from South of the border; only the color of its adherants is different North of it.

But I digress, Texans are interesting, but some of them are walking stereotypes, not independent free thinkers who take no guff. Every group has it's db's.

1bad65
04-30-2010, 07:31 AM
So the 3 economic holes in this country that you pointed out - combined actually had more Reps than Dems running them in the last 40yrs, so how is this only the fault of liberal Dems?????

Now show which Party controlled those State's legislatures through the last few decades...

Reality_Check
04-30-2010, 08:05 AM

Now show which Party controlled those State's legislatures through the last few decades...

Well, there you go moving the goalposts again.

1bad65
04-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Well, there you go moving the goalposts again.

Call it what you will. But Governors AND the Legislatures are both key parts.

You guys cite Arnold in California. Keep in mind when he took office, 'Gray Out' Davis couldn't even keep electricity in the State!

MasterKiller
04-30-2010, 08:44 AM

You guys cite Arnold in California. Keep in mind when he took office, 'Gray Out' Davis couldn't even keep electricity in the State!

cough *ENRON* cough

Reality_Check
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM

Perhaps you should have considered that before you wrote this:

1bad65
04-30-2010, 09:52 AM
cough *ENRON* cough

Blame them all you want. But for some reason it only affected ONE state...

1bad65
04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Perhaps you should have considered that before you wrote this:

Facts are facts, no matter if I put them in the first post or the 500th post.

MasterKiller
04-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Blame them all you want. But for some reason it only affected ONE state...

In October 2000, Daniel Scotto, the top ranked utility analyst on Wall Street, suspended his ratings on all energy companies conducting business in California because of the possibility that the companies would not receive full and adequate compensation for the deferred energy accounts used as the cornerstone for the California Deregulation Plan enacted in the late 1990s. Five months later, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) was forced into bankruptcy. Senator Phil Gramm, Republican, the second largest recipient of campaign contributions from Enron, succeeded in legislating California's energy commodity trading deregulation. Despite warnings from prominent consumer groups which stated that this law would give energy traders too much influence over energy commodity prices, the legislation was passed in December 2000.

As Public Citizen reported, "Because of Enron’s new, unregulated power auction, the company’s 'Wholesale Services' revenues quadrupled—from $12 billion in the first quarter of 2000 to $48.4 billion in the first quarter of 2001."

Before passage of the deregulation law, there had been only one Stage 3 rolling blackout declared. Following passage, California had a total of 38 blackouts defined as Stage 3 rolling blackouts, until federal regulators intervened in June 2001. These blackouts occurred mainly as a result of a poorly designed market system that was manipulated by traders and marketers. Enron traders were revealed as intentionally encouraging the removal of power from the market during California's energy crisis by encouraging suppliers to shut down plants to perform unnecessary maintenance, as documented in recordings made at the time. These acts contributed to the need for rolling blackouts, which adversely affected many businesses dependent upon a reliable supply of electricity, and inconvenienced a large number of retail consumers. This scattered supply raised the price exponentially, and Enron traders were thus able to sell power at premium prices, sometimes up to a factor of 20x its normal peak value.

SanHeChuan
04-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Facts are facts, no matter if I put them in the first post or the 500th post.

Are you sure they are facts? You thought the governor thing was fact and was proven wrong. I think you're just taking shots in the dark. :p

1bad65
04-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Had California not refused to build any new power plants for over 20 years, Enron, the GOP, Bush, Phil Gramm, couldn't have collaborated to turn the power off in California.

When you become dependant on others for any need, you run a huge risk. They chose to be 'green', and it bit them in the ass.

1bad65
04-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Are you sure they are facts? You thought the governor thing was fact and was proven wrong. I think you're just taking shots in the dark. :p

We all know California and New York are liberal strongholds. And they are facing bankruptcy. While Texas is doing just fine. Even the Democrats we elect to State office are usually quite fiscally conservative.

1bad65
04-30-2010, 11:38 AM

If we start mentioning cities, you're screwed. ;)

LA, Detroit, Washington DC, Newark, etc. All have high crime, high poverty, massive unemployment, and liberal Democrat mayors. In DC's case, they kept electing a liberal crackhead!

MasterKiller
04-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Had California not refused to build any new power plants for over 20 years, Enron, the GOP, Bush, Phil Gramm, couldn't have collaborated to turn the power off in California.

When you become dependant on others for any need, you run a huge risk. They chose to be 'green', and it bit them in the ass.

Oh, so California just had it comin'? :rolleyes:

Lee Chiang Po
04-30-2010, 05:01 PM

yee haw!

lol

I can see you have not been off pavement before, and you have definately never been to Texas. I don't recall ever seeing a 10 gallon hat here, but we do have lots of guns. You can not depend upon law enforcement to protect you against real crime. Maybe a family squabble, but not serious crime. Law enforcement only comes in and mops up the blood and tries to solve the crime. You are charged with your own defense. Yours and your families.
Shooting coyotes here is a sport. We kill the SOB's any chance we get. They are an American Jackel and have all the same habits of any Jackel anywhere else. If we don't kill them they eventually start grabbing your kids off the yard. It has already happened more than a few times.
Being from Canada I am not surprised that you have such silly notions. You really need to look outside your small little world sometimes.

Pork Chop
04-30-2010, 05:14 PM
The unwillingness to back down comes from the cultural influence of machismo.

seems you missed an important part of my post...
i live in a city, where the center of downtown is built to honor the memory of the modern day thermopylae.
they fought and died against those from south of the border.
the "don't tread on me" attitude was a direct import from the colonies.

Pork Chop
04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Check out Oak Cliff or Fort Worth, although they tend to lean left.

Fly Kelly Field!

i used to live in fort worth
didn't have a single date in a year and a half
i give you that they weren't quite as materialistic as girls from dallas proper
but they were not very social unless you went to their church.

nice call on oak cliff
but i prefer my sh!thole's to have adequate city-provided services. :p

ps - i'm like the weird, b@stard son of a military-loving libertarian and a blue-collar union-loving liberal.

pps - i work on part of what was once kelly

1bad65
05-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Oh, so California just had it comin'? :rolleyes:

Yup. When you don't build power plants, you might have energy shortages. It's common sense.

kfson
05-04-2010, 06:01 AM
i used to live in fort worth
didn't have a single date in a year and a half
i give you that they weren't quite as materialistic as girls from dallas proper
but they were not very social unless you went to their church.

nice call on oak cliff
but i prefer my sh!thole's to have adequate city-provided services. :p

ps - i'm like the weird, b@stard son of a military-loving libertarian and a blue-collar union-loving liberal.

pps - i work on part of what was once kelly

Hey Chop, I tried.
I was born on what was once Waco Army Air Field/James Connally Air Force Base.

Reality_Check
05-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Yup. When you don't build power plants, you might have energy shortages. It's common sense.

That does not correspond to what you wrote earlier.

Energy shortage does not equal someone turned off the power.

1bad65
05-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Energy shortage does not equal someone turned off the power.

I was being sarcastic. It obviously went over your head.

My point still stands: Had they built enough power plants to support their needs, they wouldn't have had those Gray-outs. Can't argue with that fact.

Reality_Check
05-04-2010, 07:24 AM

My point still stands: Had they built enough power plants to support their needs, they wouldn't have had those Gray-outs. Can't argue with that fact.

Which post was sarcastic, the 1st or the 2nd?

SanHeChuan
05-04-2010, 07:46 AM

It doesn't matter how many you have when they are turned off.

1bad65
05-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Which post was sarcastic, the 1st or the 2nd?

The one about turning off the power.

1bad65
05-04-2010, 09:18 AM
It doesn't matter how many you have when they are turned off.

Jesus Christ you're dense.

If they have their own plants, how the hell are Bush, Enron, the GOP, Phil Gramm, etc gonna turn them off??? :rolleyes:

SanHeChuan
05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Jesus Christ you're dense.

If they have their own plants, how the hell are Bush, Enron, the GOP, Phil Gramm, etc gonna turn them off??? :rolleyes:

Before passage of the deregulation law, there had been only one Stage 3 rolling blackout declared. Following passage, California had a total of 38 blackouts defined as Stage 3 rolling blackouts, until federal regulators intervened in June 2001. These blackouts occurred mainly as a result of a poorly designed market system that was manipulated by traders and marketers. Enron traders were revealed as intentionally encouraging the removal of power from the market during California's energy crisis by encouraging suppliers to shut down plants to perform unnecessary maintenance, as documented in recordings made at the time. These acts contributed to the need for rolling blackouts, which adversely affected many businesses dependent upon a reliable supply of electricity, and inconvenienced a large number of retail consumers. This scattered supply raised the price exponentially, and Enron traders were thus able to sell power at premium prices, sometimes up to a factor of 20x its normal peak value.

1bad65
05-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Enron traders were revealed as intentionally encouraging the removal of power from the market during California's energy crisis by encouraging suppliers to shut down plants to perform unnecessary maintenance, as documented in recordings made at the time.

Again my point stands. If California had had their own power plants capable of supporting it's population, Enron's vile scheme would have failed.

Also, I remember posting something on this very thread about when you become dependent on others...

dimethylsea
05-04-2010, 02:09 PM
The serfs have had enough. We are sick of working our asses off so liberals can give away OUR money to keep themselves in office. People have finally figured this out. November is gonna be a disaster for them.

Keep telling yourself that. The only people who are truly screaming are the ones who would have voted conservative anyway.

Obama didn't win the REPUBLICAN primary and thus become President...

He won the DEMOCRATIC primary, then won over another candidate in the general election.

Basically all that "The Demos are gonna get WASTED" talk is GOP camp propaganda.

You have a Democratic President and democratic majorities in both houses of the legislature.

The only branch of government that is tipped your way is the Surpreme Court.

There is no way the GOP will take both houses in numbers sufficient to over ride a presidential veto (you think getting past the filibuster is hard.. try beating a veto!).

So you are basically living a dream if you don't understand you have 2 more years, possibly 6, under "the annointed one".

Every tea party patriot and sympathizer could be screaming and it won't matter.. they aren't enough of the electorate.

Deal with it.

1bad65
05-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Keep telling yourself that. The only people who are truly screaming are the ones who would have voted conservative anyway.

Yeah, Massachusetts have been sending Republicans to the US Senate for decades.

Basically all that "The Demos are gonna get WASTED" talk is GOP camp propaganda.

This may well be in my sig come November 3rd. :D

Deal with it.

I'l be saying that in November.

But really, sadly politics has become about 'winning' and 'losing'. No one really thinks about the good of the country. Look at Greece. It's an economic disaster over there. Do you want to keep electing liberal socialists so we can "Deal with it" when the bills they are running up have to be paid? :eek:

dimethylsea
05-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Look at Greece. It's an economic disaster over there. Do you want to keep electing liberal socialists so we can "Deal with it" when the bills they are running up have to be paid? :eek:

Of course I will keep voting for, campaigning for, and electing liberal socialists.

You ****ers on the Right sent me and my buddies to the desert. Every person who voted for Dubya is pretty much on my sh1tlist. You GOPers have 20 years in the doghouse MINIMUM before people like me mellow out about Iraq.

I would cheerfully vote for a card-carrying Communist before I'd vote for anyone on the Right.

The sheer degree of hate earned by the Dubya and D1ck show from me will probably outlast my residency in the US.

You have an ocean of blood and evil with an (R) behind it's name, and frankly I'd cheerfully cut off both hands and my own d1ck if I could watch Dubya get publically flogged and then legally hung by an appropriate legal tribunal.

Of course.. I won't get to see that. But you won't be seeing control of both Senate and the House in November though..

Bet on it. It's not that we love the Left... it's that the Right is the political equivalent of snuff films.

David Jamieson
05-05-2010, 06:30 AM
I can see you have not been off pavement before, and you have definately never been to Texas. I don't recall ever seeing a 10 gallon hat here, but we do have lots of guns. You can not depend upon law enforcement to protect you against real crime. Maybe a family squabble, but not serious crime. Law enforcement only comes in and mops up the blood and tries to solve the crime. You are charged with your own defense. Yours and your families.
Shooting coyotes here is a sport. We kill the SOB's any chance we get. They are an American Jackel and have all the same habits of any Jackel anywhere else. If we don't kill them they eventually start grabbing your kids off the yard. It has already happened more than a few times.
Being from Canada I am not surprised that you have such silly notions. You really need to look outside your small little world sometimes.

A) you see nothing, I grew up on both a ranch and in the city. :)

B) YOu have never seen a cowboy hat in texas? are you blind?

C) Why can't you depend on law enforcement? Dont they train your cops properly in texas? are they all that useless that you each need to be some kind of vigilante?

D) crime is a dynamic thing. protect yourself sure, but do the cops job?

E)Killing anything as "sport" is in my opinion barbarism. It is killing, it is taking a life and it is done with a sporting intention. That is what I call spiritually, morally and ethically bankrupt. If one has to kill, there is a need for purpose. A convoluted idea that children MIGHT be taken is not a good reason.

F) Being from texas, I am not surprised you would have such colloquial and provincial views of the the world around you. You need to get outside of the myopic state of mind which you call your little world.

1bad65
05-05-2010, 06:34 AM
You ****ers on the Right sent me and my buddies to the desert. Every person who voted for Dubya is pretty much on my sh1tlist. You GOPers have 20 years in the doghouse MINIMUM before people like me mellow out about Iraq.

People in the military overwhelmingly vote Republican. Bush is loved by all the military personnel I know. He is also well known for visiting wounded vets in VA hospitals (many of these are done with no press coverage). How many VA hospital visits has Obama made? One?

And liberals like Hillary Clinton voted to fund the war as well. So don't cry about how dastardly the GOP is and give the liberals a free pass.

Isn't Obama still sending guys like you and your buddies to the desert as we speak?

Drake
05-05-2010, 07:00 AM
People in the military overwhelmingly vote Republican. Bush is loved by all the military personnel I know. He is also well known for visiting wounded vets in VA hospitals (many of these are done with no press coverage). How many VA hospital visits has Obama made? One?

And liberals like Hillary Clinton voted to fund the war as well. So don't cry about how dastardly the GOP is and give the liberals a free pass.

Isn't Obama still sending guys like you and your buddies to the desert as we speak?

Actually, Iraq is now closing for business, and Afghanistan is getting there. I don't blame Fmr Pres Bush for starting the wars. I blame him for not having a clear definition of victory, leading us to essentially spending 7 years getting shot at and mortared for an ambiguous mission. I think that's probabl what ticks Dim off more than anything.

Oh, and Dim is a VETERAN. He served, and he deployed, so even if you don't like his opinion, at least he did something for his country instead of rile up dissent. Respect that.

1bad65
05-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Actually, Iraq is now closing for business, and Afghanistan is getting there. I don't blame Fmr Pres Bush for starting the wars. I blame him for not having a clear definition of victory, leading us to essentially spending 7 years getting shot at and mortared for an ambiguous mission. I think that's probabl what ticks Dim off more than anything.

Point taken. Keep in mind one of his goals was a democratic Iraq. That goal is looking like it will be met.

Oh, and Dim is a VETERAN. He served, and he deployed, so even if you don't like his opinion, at least he did something for his country instead of rile up dissent. Respect that.

And I do. We have the freedoms we have left because brave men and women put their lives on the line to defend them. I disagree with him, but do respect him.

David Jamieson
05-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Point taken. Keep in mind one of his goals was a democratic Iraq. That goal is looking like it will be met.

And I do. We have the freedoms we have left because brave men and women put their lives on the line to defend them. I disagree with him, but do respect him.

Iraq will be a democracy until the last american and brit leaves. Then it will return to being part of the caliphate that is to be established in the middle east whether people in the west like it or not.

there are way too many agents against democracy in the region and democracy is a completely foreign idea to the majority of people there. Also, democracy has hurdles in America and has organically been changing over the couple of hundred years it's been at play in the US.

Without holding a gun pointed squarely at Iraq and forcing democracy down her throat, it simply won't hold.

Lives have been wasted, the former president made a huge mistake and lied about the reasons for going in and now there are hundreds of thousands of dead and many more that are changed for life by the experience of being on the giving or receiving end of violence in Iraq.

It was a huge waste of time, blood and treasure. So is afghanistan. Better to just let them have their sandbox and keep them from trying to push their hard line ideologies in our own nations.

kfson
05-05-2010, 10:38 AM
E)Killing anything as "sport" is in my opinion barbarism. It is killing, it is taking a life and it is done with a sporting intention. That is what I call spiritually, morally and ethically bankrupt. If one has to kill, there is a need for purpose. A convoluted idea that children MIGHT be taken is not a good reason.

F) Being from texas, I am not surprised you would have such colloquial and provincial views of the the world around you. You need to get outside of the myopic state of mind which you call your little world.

E. Many people hold this view. But it has a purpose... to thin the heard to keep the group healthy and/or balance it and it's related food chain species. "Sport" is just a word to use to describe this process. If there were any other way to accomplish this task, I might be on your side (but looking through my crystal ball, I don't see you on the other side, funny).

F. It sounds like your only experience of Texas is from TV or 1950's Westerns. That's ok, I've been to Winnipeg.

David Jamieson
05-05-2010, 10:45 AM
E. Many people hold this view. But it has a purpose... to thin the heard to keep the group healthy and/or balance it and it's related food chain species. "Sport" is just a word to use to describe this process. If there were any other way to accomplish this task, I might be on your side (but looking through my crystal ball, I don't see you on the other side, funny).

F. It sounds like your only experience of Texas is from TV or 1950's Westerns. That's ok, I've been to Winnipeg.

e) it's "herd" and if other animals hadn't been culled into non-existence it wouldn't be a requirement to "manage" nature :rolleyes: We can't even manage ourselves, but I got a strong feeling you don't understand that yet, so I leave you with your point of view and your soothsaying device to guide you until you find something more useful.

f) I could probably educate a lot of texans about texas. lol

1bad65
05-05-2010, 10:57 AM
e) it's "herd" and if other animals hadn't been culled into non-existence it wouldn't be a requirement to "manage" nature

Not true. States will allow more deer hunting for example in years/areas where the food supply for them is down so as to avoid them starving. And I've never hunted a day in my life, I love animals. But even 'Sport' hunting (which I abhor) does have some merit.

Drake
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Actually...the CIA made the mistake. Fmr Pres Bush just went with what intel he was given.

David Jamieson
05-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Not true. States will allow more deer hunting for example in years/areas where the food supply for them is down so as to avoid them starving. And I've never hunted a day in my life, I love animals. But even 'Sport' hunting (which I abhor) does have some merit.

wolves would take care of that if they weren't all killed off.

wildlife management as a concept is utterly stupid.
allowance of corporate destruction of the wilderness is stupid.
infringing on wildlife habitats is stupid.
sprawling cities with empty cores are stupid.

These are the larger problems which spawn even larger problems.

1bad65
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Wolves aren't native enough here to solve the deer problem.

Either way, I just told you how/why it's done the way it is. I don't hunt, but I respect the rights of others to do so responsibly.

SnowDog
05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I'll have to go with DJ on this one.

I understand the need for sport hunting (although it was a created need, by killing off the predators), but I don't really see the Coyote hunting to be the same. I'm not in TX so I don't know what your situation is. (maybe you have packs of Coyotes in every yard). But in Colo, it's more that people are affraid of the Coyotes that are in the GreenBelts and their yards, that was caused by the new housing developments displacing the Coyote packs that were already there, and here in a few affluant communities because peoples Yappy dogs and cats got eaten, and kids got growled at they hired snipers to shoot the coyotes seen in the greenbelts, and now the surrounding areas are becoming overgrown with Rabbits and groundhogs.

And, just a side note about sport hunting, while most sport hunting is to control herds, you also have the crap that is going on wih the wolves in Alaska and Wyoming where they are shooting the wolves because they are thinning the elk herds and are direct competition to the hunters who want to shoot the same elk.......... this to me is absolutely ridiculous and barbaric, to kill one animal because it is killing the other animal you want to kill. WTF?????

David Jamieson
05-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Wolves aren't native enough here to solve the deer problem.

Either way, I just told you how/why it's done the way it is. I don't hunt, but I respect the rights of others to do so responsibly.

Here's me teaching a texan something about Texas, pay attention kfson :).

Wolves were indeed native to Texas. Both varieties of Red Wolf and Grey Wolf wandered through all of texas until they had their habitats encroached upon and were killed off by humans.

I don't respect hunting for sport. It's wrong period. That's my belief.

kfson
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
e) it's "herd" and if other animals hadn't been culled into non-existence it wouldn't be a requirement to "manage" nature :rolleyes: We can't even manage ourselves, but I got a strong feeling you don't understand that yet, so I leave you with your point of view and your soothsaying device to guide you until you find something more useful.

f) I could probably educate a lot of texans about texas. lol

You are correct. I can't speel.

David Jamieson
05-05-2010, 12:32 PM
You are correct. I can't speel.

Many can't, but admittedly, I was merely being facetious. :D

kfson
05-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Here's me teaching a texan something about Texas, pay attention kfson :).

Wolves were indeed native to Texas. Both varieties of Red Wolf and Grey Wolf wandered through all of texas until they had their habitats encroached upon and were killed off by humans.

I don't respect hunting for sport. It's wrong period. That's my belief.

Deer. If deer are allowed to live without man culling the heard, they will over-popopulate, get stick, sarve, and dye out. We don't want dear of the wrong color.

dimethylsea
05-05-2010, 12:46 PM

Let's examine some facts.

1. Military people rate very high on specific types of cultural conformity. Specifically they are usually going to "act military" when they are interviewed by either a potentially hostile interviewer or when they are being questioned by someone who is also military, or seem connected to the same.
2. There is no way to know if they are telling the truth when they talk to you, they may just be saying what seems like the thing to say and be all OOU-RAH.
3. There is (quite reasonably!!!) no way to track the actual votes of the military members on a person per person basis. It's a secret ballot after all! (I do NOT suggest this is anything but a strong and valued civil protection- having the secret ballot).
4. Since it's hard to get good hard data... let's follow the money.

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/08/troops-deployed-abroad-give-61.html
Obama's fundraising from the troops out did McCain by SIX TO ONE.

" According to an analysis of campaign contributions by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, Democrat Barack Obama has received nearly six times as much money from troops deployed overseas at the time of their contributions than has Republican John McCain, and the fiercely anti-war Ron Paul, though he suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination months ago, has received more than four times McCain's haul.

Despite McCain's status as a decorated veteran and a historically Republican bent among the military, members of the armed services overall -- whether stationed overseas or at home -- are also favoring Obama with their campaign contributions in 2008, by a $55,000 margin. Although 59 percent of federal contributions by military personnel has gone to Republicans this cycle, of money from the military to the presumed presidential nominees, 57 percent has gone to Obama.

Contributions from U.S. Troops Deployed Abroad
Obama, Barack $60,642 134
Paul, Ron $45,512 99
McCain, John $10,665 26
Huckabee, Mike $7,950 10
Thompson, Fred $6,350 7
Romney, Mitt $5,550 10
Clinton, Hillary $3,240 6

With the latest campaign finance filings, detailing June fundraising, McCain has overtaken Paul among all military donors, though Paul still leads with contributors listing an overseas address. Financial support from military personnel for anti-war candidates Obama and Paul is a trend that the Center for Responsive Politics first observed last September.

Individuals in the Air Force, Army, Navy and Marine Corps have all leaned Republican this cycle, but the only branch in which that ideology has carried over to the presidential race is the Marine Corps, where McCain leads Obama by about $4,000. In each of the other branches -- including the Navy, in which McCain served when he was taken prisoner during the Vietnam War -- Obama leads by significant margins.

"That's shocking. The academic debate is between some who say that junior enlisted ranks lean slightly Republican and some who say it's about equal, but no one would point to six-to-one" in Democrats' favor, said Aaron Belkin, a professor of political science at the University of California who studies the military. "That represents a tremendous shift from 2000, when the military vote almost certainly was decisive in Florida and elsewhere, and leaned heavily towards the Republicans."

dimethylsea
05-05-2010, 12:49 PM

I think I'd rather be respected for having had the sense NOT to become goverment property.. rather than having been stupid enough to take the ****ing candy bar from Uncle Sam.

Drake
05-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I think I'd rather be respected for having had the sense NOT to become goverment property.. rather than having been stupid enough to take the ****ing candy bar from Uncle Sam.

Just remember that our presence alone is what allowed you to get out and say whatever you want. Nobody can take that from you.

Can only imagine what'd happen if you somehow got out of the North Korean army and tried talking smack about them.

dimethylsea
05-05-2010, 12:56 PM

I love animals too. They are super tasty. If we weren't supposed to eat them then YHWH wouldn't have made them out of meat right?

On the subject of sport hunting.. you should really trying taking boar with a spear. It's like connected with the testes of the Dao or something.

We replaced the top carnivores that used to keep the deer in check. Thus we need to rebalance the eco-system. Alot of people don't know hunters contribute vast amounts of venison and game to the poor and hungry. A person can (theoretically) feed their kids off venison, a few grain based ingredients and some fruits or supplementation to prevent scurvy etc.

We have enough nutrition out past city limits to keep America's kids fed, without giving them processed crap.

dimethylsea
05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Just remember that our presence alone is what allowed you to get out and say whatever you want. Nobody can take that from you.

Actually I tend to think it's the unorganized militia that allows me to say whatever I want.

The military doesn't and didn't enforce my rights to free speech (they certainly don't practice democracy, for all their claims to protect it).

The US was not built on standing professional armies Drake. It was built on citizen-volunteers, then later conscription in time of war.

The general martyr complex of the uniformed services is one of their most irritating aspects.
"Hey everyone we are going to brainwash, conform, regulate, regiment and otherwise abuse anyone we can manage, and do it all in the name of a purpose which is diametrically opposed to half the **** we do on a regular basis. We are your heroes!".

No. Not heroes. Just the usual ****ups.. made far more dangerous by institutional memories, vast vast defense appropriations, and a heavy sprinkling of lifers who like a dole if they can claim it's noble, rather than being a honest leech on the body politic.

Drake
05-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm not a leech. I could make MAAD $$$$$ on the outside if I wanted to.

Sometimes I want to.... :eek:

kfson
05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Actually I tend to think it's the unorganized militia that allows me to say whatever I want.

The military doesn't and didn't enforce my rights to free speech (they certainly don't practice democracy, for all their claims to protect it).

The US was not built on standing professional armies Drake. It was built on citizen-volunteers, then later conscription in time of war.

The general martyr complex of the uniformed services is one of their most irritating aspects.
"Hey everyone we are going to brainwash, conform, regulate, regiment and otherwise abuse anyone we can manage, and do it all in the name of a purpose which is diametrically opposed to half the **** we do on a regular basis. We are your heroes!".

No. Not heroes. Just the usual ****ups.. made far more dangerous by institutional memories, vast vast defense appropriations, and a heavy sprinkling of lifers who like a dole if they can claim it's noble, rather than being a honest leech on the body politic.

They have a path different from yours, though a legitimate one, none the less.

1bad65
05-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Let's examine some facts.

If the military memebers vote Democrat in such large numbers, why did Bush have to go to court in 2000 to get absentee military votes counted that had been thrown out?

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15627

Why did Gore challenge 39% of the overseas absentee ballots cast by military personnel?

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2000/11/21/162723.shtml

Drake
05-06-2010, 06:55 AM
If the military memebers vote Democrat in such large numbers, why did Bush have to go to court in 2000 to get absentee military votes counted that had been thrown out?

Why did Gore challenge 39% of the overseas absentee ballots cast by military personnel?

Because absentee voting is one of the most screwed up procedures in the military. I'm surprised that anything gets counted, really. Funny part is, they harass us about voting, then screw up the paperwork. Priceless.

There was actually a poll in the Army Times about political affiliation. It's changed since the 80s, but the majority of soldiers are still republican or independent. However, they did notice that soldiers are beginning to shift left and to the independent side of the house.

Drake
05-06-2010, 06:56 AM
And don't EVER quote newsmax as a source. EVER.

1bad65
05-06-2010, 06:57 AM
And don't EVER quote newsmax as a source. EVER.

You may not like them, but those numbers are accurate.

Drake
05-06-2010, 06:59 AM
You may not like them, but those numbers are accurate.

But the reasons behind it are skewed, along with their motivations and how it is headlined.

1bad65
05-06-2010, 07:02 AM
But the reasons behind it are skewed, along with their motivations and how it is headlined.

So can you cite examples of Republican candidates suing to have military votes thrown out?

Drake
05-06-2010, 07:09 AM
So can you cite examples of Republican candidates suing to have military votes thrown out?

Even if the paperwork was wrong, why would you shoot yourself in the foot when you know you'll get a majority, no matter how small that majority may be? You think they'd do the right thing about that? Hate to say it, but I know I wouldn't. So what if line x wasn't properly filled out? I want that vote counted for me!

kfson
05-06-2010, 07:18 AM
In Texas we a large feral pig problem. We take a six inch flexible drain pipe, it has holes in it, and fill it with corn that has been soaked in diesel fuel. A motion activated light is pointed on the corn filled pipe. Hogs come from miles away when they smell that diesel fuel. Take you about 5 cold six packs and a comfy chair and wait across the field for the light to be activated. Mmmmm, we's got some good hunten, Sooooooweeeee, Bob!

1bad65
05-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Even if the paperwork was wrong, why would you shoot yourself in the foot when you know you'll get a majority, no matter how small that majority may be? You think they'd do the right thing about that? Hate to say it, but I know I wouldn't. So what if line x wasn't properly filled out? I want that vote counted for me!

But Dim appears to be saying military members support liberals more than the GOP. That's why I posted those links, so he would hopefully agree with your assessment.

Pork Chop
05-06-2010, 09:20 PM
nah i gotta say that all my military friends & associates are pro-Republican.
most of them are still Bush fans & refused opportunities to meet the current prez.
don't mean i agree with 'em though. :p

dimethylsea
05-07-2010, 09:17 AM

That's precisely why I like the campaign contributions numbers as a read on how they feel.

I know from experience there is an enforced public position among military members. Seeing how their wallets vote though... that's significant.

How do they act *outside* of the uniform proper? There is a strong bias towards *at least* public conformity to authority in the military.

Those campaign contributions are significant.

1bad65
05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
That's precisely why I like the campaign contributions numbers as a read on how they feel.

Those campaign contributions are significant.

They can be skewed though. Did the Democrats get alot of small donations by many military members, or just a few large donations by a few members?