PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rican Statehood

solo1
04-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Ok girls this is next up. The annoited one is trying desperately to force statehood on Puerto Rico, an idea they have overwhelmingly voted down on three occasions. They are being asked IF they want to change thier commonwealth status, clearly a back door way of forcing them into statehood. Puerto Ricans pay NO income tax on income earned in PR. Now why would Obama want this and why under so much cover.

Lets review: there are more Puerto Ricans in the country , about 2.5 million, then in Puerto Rico, they may or may not be voting democrat, but the Regime is betting they do.
Your Puerto Rican, you have lived your entire life in Ames, Iowa and you are being asked to decide the future of a place you have never even seen. Sound about right for the Obama regime?

Lee Chiang Po
04-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Ok girls this is next up. The annoited one is trying desperately to force statehood on Puerto Rico, an idea they have overwhelmingly voted down on three occasions. They are being asked IF they want to change thier commonwealth status, clearly a back door way of forcing them into statehood. Puerto Ricans pay NO income tax on income earned in PR. Now why would Obama want this and why under so much cover.

Lets review: there are more Puerto Ricans in the country , about 2.5 million, then in Puerto Rico, they may or may not be voting democrat, but the Regime is betting they do.
Your Puerto Rican, you have lived your entire life in Ames, Iowa and you are being asked to decide the future of a place you have never even seen. Sound about right for the Obama regime?

I don't think they are trying to force statehood on them. And if You don't live there I really don't think you are going to get a vote. If so I could vote. They might as well, but I see their point. They don't pay taxes, but they get to share in a lot of the social programs the states contribute to. Sounds like they got it made to me. Truthfully, I don't think I would want them to become a state. They would probably be an even greater liability to the rest of us. It should actually become part of Florida maybe. I think the United States is feeding far too many usless countries already.

Scott R. Brown
04-30-2010, 05:33 PM
I just don't want 51 stars on the flag......it is too odd a number!

Pork Chop
04-30-2010, 06:04 PM
I just don't want 51 stars on the flag......it is too odd a number!

i think we'd make guam a state too just to make it even :D

Drake
05-01-2010, 05:44 PM
PR is seriously getting over on us. Either become a state or yank the ridiculous benefits.

David Jamieson
05-02-2010, 05:10 AM
the ridiculous benefits are part of the program of being a territory.

You can't force someone to join the union based on some perceived slight.

who wants what out of whom here?

If Peurto Rico doesn't want to be a state so be it, if the US doesn't want them as a territory any more then so be it.

I believe America gets a benefit by having PR as a territory. But trying to force someone to join your union?

that's some pretty high level thuggery right there. lol

PR don't wanna be in your gang! but, neither does texas or montana or missouri or... :D

solo1
05-02-2010, 09:59 AM
i think we'd make guam a state too just to make it even :D

Not a chance ask that idiot democrat georgian congressmen who is afraid Guam will tip over if too many people live on it. Not to shocking that it wasn't well cover by the msm but god forbid you spell potato wrong. And according to the annointed one Guam would be the 59th state after puerto rico.

Pork Chop
05-02-2010, 01:39 PM
What hank johnson said was stup!d, but given that he's got hepatitis (http://www.ajc.com/news/u-s-rep-hank-230506.html), you've gotta wonder if he was of sound mind at the time.

yes, it was unfair that quayle's singular comment sunk his political career.
i think palin's not knowing about africa being is a continent is a lot more comparable than poor old dan.

i tend to agree if PR's going to benefit from being part of the US, then maybe they should contribute. Aren't you conservatives always the ones that refuse to pay for other people that don't want to contribute?

besides, who other than guam and pr are likely to become states first in order to take the number as high as 59?

other than that, you're continual finding of any small excuse to spit vitriol at liberals comes off as closed-minded and adolescent. can you not have a conversation without hurling insults?

mawali
05-03-2010, 07:27 AM
The best bet is to allow PR to become its own Republic, giving it independence then they can do what they want when they want. Puerto Rican want to keep their own culture so from that aspect, they should be able to vote their conscience.

SnowDog
05-03-2010, 08:24 AM
The biggest issue with PR being a colony, and why they have been pushing for PR to be a new state since the 80s is that right now it costs the US taxpayers to have PR as a commonwealth/ colony with nothing in return. And PR has been in colony status for 112yrs. So, you have the choice of either making them a State or cutting them free (same choice that was made for Hawaii in the 50s).

Now, the people of PR are stuck in the middle, some want statehood, a few want to be a free nation, but most want to stay a colony. This is because as a colony they still get benifits from the US (social programs, military Protection, etc....) but because they are a colony they do not pay income tax. If they become a state they will finally get voting rights and a few other benifits, but will have to start paying income taxes out of thier paychecks. And most do not want to become a "free Nation" because PR lacks the economic infrastructure to make it anything more than another 3rd world Caribean nation.

Oh, and on a side note, there is a lot of support to keep it as a colony or let it go Free by many corporate intrests that currently use it as a tax haven, because any money made in PR does not get taxed by the Federal Govn't.

1bad65
05-03-2010, 11:21 AM
The best bet is to allow PR to become its own Republic, giving it independence then they can do what they want when they want. Puerto Rican want to keep their own culture so from that aspect, they should be able to vote their conscience.

The Puerto Ricans have voted two or three times against asking for statehood. Keep in mind, they pay no Federal taxes. Those people aren't stupid. They know the moment they become a state, they give up ~30% of their annual incomes.

SnowDog
05-03-2010, 11:30 AM
The Puerto Ricans have voted two or three times against asking for statehood. Keep in mind, they pay no Federal taxes. Those people aren't stupid. They know the moment they become a state, they give up ~30% of their annual incomes.

You're right on the mark here, they keep voting down statehood to remain a colony. The majority don't want to pay our taxes, but don't want to be thrown out on their own with out the benifits of the US. They want to stay a colony so they can still get some benifits from the US without paying income tax.........the US Govn't however doesn't want this any more.

1bad65
05-03-2010, 02:18 PM
You're right on the mark here, they keep voting down statehood to remain a colony. The majority don't want to pay our taxes, but don't want to be thrown out on their own with out the benifits of the US. They want to stay a colony so they can still get some benifits from the US without paying income tax.........the Democrats however don't want this any more.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

Pork Chop
05-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Fixed that for ya. ;)

does it hurt talking out both sides of your mouth :p

first you say you don't like paying money on behalf of benefits for people who refuse to work, now you're saying you don't think people collecting benefits without paying in should have to pay taxes.

this is mostly tongue in cheek, but i fail to see the logic...

David Jamieson
05-03-2010, 04:29 PM

first you say you don't like paying money on behalf of benefits for people who refuse to work, now you're saying you don't think people collecting benefits without paying in should have to pay taxes.

1bad65 is an agent of the republican party, and partner to rush limbaugh. He's been sent out into the internet to discredit the wild democrat.

he really can't argue a point, but he can point at arguments! lol

does anyone else notice that this guy lives here in support of anything republican and against anything at all that is regarded as not republican. lol

just pointing it out.

mawali
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
mon ami
il est un agent provocateur

1bad65
05-04-2010, 07:05 AM

They don't get alot of the benefits those in the 50 States get. First off, they don't have Congressional representation.

David Jamieson
05-04-2010, 07:08 AM
mon ami
il est un agent provocateur

moi? Non! lol

Reality_Check
05-04-2010, 07:14 AM
They don't get alot of the benefits those in the 50 States get. First off, they don't have Congressional representation.

Neither does the District of Columbia. Actually, they have a non-voting Congresswoman. Yet, they still pay Federal taxes. Gee, wouldn't that be taxation without representation?

1bad65
05-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Neither does the District of Columbia. Actually, they have a non-voting Congresswoman. Yet, they still pay Federal taxes. Gee, wouldn't that be taxation without representation?

They get Electoral College votes in the Presidential elections. 3, I believe.

Drake
05-04-2010, 08:31 AM
They get Electoral College votes in the Presidential elections. 3, I believe.

Says who? .....

1bad65
05-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Says who? .....

The 23rd Amendment.

David Jamieson
05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
The 23rd Amendment.

The number of electoral votes allotted to each State corresponds to the number of Representatives and Senators that each State sends to Congress. The distribution of electoral votes among the States can vary every 10 years depending on the results of the United States Census.

One of the primary functions of the Census is to reapportion the 435 members of the House of Representatives among the States, based on the current population. The reapportionment of the House determines the division of electoral votes among the States. In the Electoral College, each State gets one electoral vote for each of its Representatives in the House, and one electoral vote for each of its two Senators.

Thus, every state has at least 3 electoral votes, because the Constitution grants each State two Senators and at least one Representative. In addition to the 535 electoral votes divided among the States, the District of Columbia has three electoral votes because the 23rd Amendment granted it the same number of votes as the least populated State.

If a State gains or loses a Congressional district, it will also gain or lose an electoral vote. As a result of the Census conducted in 2000, the number of electoral votes allotted to certain States changed for the 2004 election.

Peurto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, and any other holding of the USA that is not a state has NO electoral college votes allotted to them. Only states get electoral college votes and the exception is washing ton DC which gets 3.

and for pete's sake, remember that i'm a freaking Canadian here. lol :p

dimethylsea
05-04-2010, 11:16 AM
besides, who other than guam and pr are likely to become states first in order to take the number as high as 59?

http://tlwinslow.weebly.com/megamerge-the-dissolution-solution.html

This guy suggests we invite Mexico to dissolve and do a voluntary amalgamation under the US Constitution of Mexico (according to their plebiscite and with the consent of their electorate).

Drake
05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Believe it or not, I do make mistakes. Geez.

SanHeChuan
05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Believe it or not, I do make mistakes. Geez.

Is it a mistake to ask 1bad65 to source his posts? I'd say not. ;)

David Jamieson
05-04-2010, 11:59 AM
http://tlwinslow.weebly.com/megamerge-the-dissolution-solution.html

This guy suggests we invite Mexico to dissolve and do a voluntary amalgamation under the US Constitution of Mexico (according to their plebiscite and with the consent of their electorate).

I think that would actually be a really good idea.

Don't ask Canada to dissolve though. We're to freaking rich to bother with that idea! lol

Drake
05-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Is it a mistake to ask 1bad65 to source his posts? I'd say not. ;)

The world is flat.

Source: http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

1bad65
05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Maybe Obama just wants to get us up to 57 States so he doesn't look so stupid. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

Pork Chop
05-04-2010, 02:43 PM

Yes they do, their Congressional representation happens to reside in NYC.
(inside PR joke)