PDA

View Full Version : A stupid question

gwai-jai
07-15-2000, 03:20 AM
I`ve just returned home from teaching at my Sifu`s gwoon, and was aproached by one of the students who asked me a question on self-defence. He asked me this question what would I do if someone head-butted me in the face. I answered I would probably fall on the floor bleeding profusely. So what I would like to know is, has anyone alse been asked stupid question like this.

Lost_Disciple
07-15-2000, 03:41 AM
It sounds like the kid's heart is in the right place, he just may not know any better.
"Don't be there" would probably do better for the kid's confidence and encouraging him to learn than getting angry at him. Maybe stress to him that it's through practising and teaching your body to react in the right way instead of trying to know a counter to every move in your conscious mind; that'll make him a better fighter.

I've been asked quite a few "stupid" questions by my younger kung fu brothers, and I've asked quite a few myself. You gotta make mistakes to learn. I'm not even an advanced student, let alone a sifu, so I'm definitely no authority; but I've always liked it better when someone humored one of my dumb questions with kind of a bs answer, only to follow it up by explaining what's really going on.

On a side note I've seen people duck under a head-butt real quick and use the top of their head to butt them back, usually upwards at around the nose. But I doubt a technique like that can actually be a conscious decision.

gwai-jai
07-15-2000, 03:58 AM
Thanks

07-16-2000, 12:03 PM
I always catch my self asking dumb ass quetions. dude whats wrong with me..

Taijimantis
07-20-2000, 10:55 AM
Lost said it about as well as I could.

When I taught Karate I always had someone who would as the whatif's. "What if thirty three guys with chains and bats attacked me from behind after shooting me in the leg, pepper spraying my eyes and driving sharp bamboo under my fingernails?"

I suppose the best way for him to learn would be to headbutt this kid in the face... lol.
Then ask what he should have done differently. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

just kidding.

Namaste