PDA

View Full Version : How do you use a praying atis dummy safely?

curious
07-18-2000, 05:51 AM
Also, what kind of dit da jow should you use with it? I have read that you should not hit it with your fist, and not hit it with full force.

molum_jr
07-19-2000, 03:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by curious:
Also, what kind of dit da jow should you use with it? I have read that you should not hit it with your fist, and not hit it with full force.[/quote]

You've gotten a bit repetitive on your queries across all the forums. Perhaps it is time to stop reading about swimming and actually go swimming...

gwai-jai
07-19-2000, 03:52 AM
You should use a Dit Da Jow that works.

curious
07-19-2000, 05:07 AM
Well, how should you use the dummy?

curious
07-19-2000, 05:15 AM
how do you know if the dit da jow works?

Paul Skrypichayko
07-19-2000, 07:54 AM
curious:

to see if someone is teaching you properly, using safe methods, judge them by their health and ability, also by their students. If they are in good health, and their training ideas make sense, they probably have good dit da jow or other healing methods.

If you dont have any reliable sifu's in your area, don't learn it!

With all the time and effort you spend on here, it would be more beneficial for you to get a job (or second job), and fly around the world to learn from the top masters in every topic you're interested in.

one last point, a wooden dummy is a training device, you can make it as simple or complex as you like. do you cause so much comotion over a kicking target, or a punching bag?

curious
07-20-2000, 01:24 AM
Thanks for giving me a somewhat straight answer, Paul. By the way, I already have three jobs. Peace.

Paul Skrypichayko
07-20-2000, 04:17 AM
Curious, great to hear that. Maybe you can find a master to learn from soon.

Taijimantis
07-20-2000, 10:40 AM
A friendly Warning about overtraining or seeking too much before you are ready.

I do not know how long you have practiced Gungfu, but The old School Grandmasters (I am fortunate to have one such Sifu)tend to teach one thing at a time, and they teach forms that they feel appropriate for the individual students skill level and body type.

Gungfu isnt like karate where you can learn some effective techniques in a few years, Gungfu can take a lifetime to learn and master one form. It takes a long time to mature and the Chi to cultivate. Remember it is a lifestyle, not just a fighting system.

If you do not have access to a dummy form, or for that matter a dummy, dont worry about it. Work the techniques you know already. Strong Basics make for good forms. Good forms make good technique. Good Technique brings with it powerfull intent.

My Sifu says: "Eventually Technique ceases to exist and all that is left is intent. You can have the greatest technique, practice all day every day, and be the greatest. But without intent it is dead. And you will be defeated."

Practice is the only ancient chinese secret.
Patience is as important as desire.

Buddha Smiles.