PDA

View Full Version : commercializing of kung fu

mantis man
07-18-2000, 09:29 PM
Is anybody as disgusted as I am about how commercial kung fu is becoming?I realize that it needs to be adapted a bit to the times,but I see chop suey schools popping up that don,t even teach good basics.I feel bad for the people who think they're learning real kung fu,and end up not even getting a strong set of basic skills out of their training.

Nathan
07-19-2000, 09:59 PM
Your right of course

One of the main issues it seem is that we Americans aren't very patient. We often feel the need to change what we learn long before we understand the depth or complexity of that which we learn.

In my twenty five years plus practicing Chinese martial art I have seen the concept of closed door and open door student change. In the old days a closed door student was learning the more dangerous and sometimes more spiritual dimenenions of the system.

Now, it seem that a closed door student is the one willing to stick around long enough after getting his or her advanced/instructor rank to learn more.

Also, teacher don't seem to keep learning themselfs at times. Then again at times its just hard to find good advanced teacher. I think maybe we also need more coaches to help refine everybodies skill and temperment.

In New York we (Chui Luen old students, 15 years of study at least), tell advanced practicer of the system we will teach them for free, if they read some Taoism and Buddhist text and be open to a little forms corrections based on Chui Luen present thoughts.

No one ever takes us up on the this offer. Althought, most will listen if we see them casually at at a Competition.

Oh well, I guess all you can do is preserve what you can.

Nathan

mantis108
07-20-2000, 07:52 AM
Kung Fu was developed in a argricultural base economy where everyone,in one way or another, touched by nature. In fact, Kung Fu can be liken to the cultivation of a bonsai tree. You need lots of time and effort plus the cooperation of nature.

In an industrial base economy, efficiency is priority. Everything is about productivity and product. Intellegence can become intellectual properties. Also a developing trend is the information base economy. The movie "Matrix" best illustrate this point. When Neo "learned and knew" Kung Fu, he was tested and failed to realize his potential. I can't help but think that's right! You can't simply just "download" Kung Fu.Such fantasy is pretty much most Sifus are facing. It takes two to Kung Fu. If the potential student can't tell fantasy from reality, I guess the show people, not the real Sifus, will benefit. Unless of course, the Sifus take some initiatives and remedy the situation.

Peace to all

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa

Iron_Monkey
07-27-2000, 01:55 PM
We are Americans, what do you expect? We want, and get everything NOW. People see a Bruce Lee movie and think they can all of the sudden "learn kung fu". Students in my class come and go. Most find other arts that seem to "pay out" more quickly. There is also I big difference in the waywe treat our Sifus. Much less respect is shown here. We do things now that would get someone kicked out in old China. Most of the time not knowing it is wrong, but still doing it. Anyway, kung fu is about practice and patience, those who lack them don't last long. Same with fake schools ,they never last long. Credendo Vides

totallyfrozen
08-06-2000, 06:55 AM
Perhaps, it has to do with our priorities. For example, a few years ago I got into bodybuilding. The short story is, that I got into it to get healthy and strong...not big (so I guess it was more weightlifting than bodybuild...whatever). My friend got into it because he wanted to get big. He gave up after a few weeks. I didn't. Why?
Because of our priorities. It got results because the result that I wanted was more strength and I got it. He wanted big size..that takes years...he didn't get it in a few weeks. I'm still not a big guy (5'10" 160lbs.) but I got stronger and had fun.
Nowadays, it seems that Americans just want to learn how to do some cool looking moves or win a couple of tournaments or whatever. Most people don't seem to be in it for the physical fitness, confidence, mental discipline and fitness, etc.
I think our American priorities are poor. They are too short sighted. Gimme a black belt now or I'll find another school!
We are more focused on the accomplishments than the journey. Life is a journey over time, not something to GET. It is the doing of them...rather than the accomplishments that matters. To me, anyway.
In general people seem to be too impatient. Perhaps, people don't enjoy the art for it's own sake, they just enjoy the trophies and pretty colored belts (or sashes).