PDA

View Full Version : Herman Yau's The Legend is Born: Ip Man

Saboi Osmosis
02-09-2010, 08:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV6eEqfsVWQ

Looks like Ip Chun is playing Leung Bik

Xiao3 Meng4
02-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Did I see Jackie Chan at 2:09, or am I imagining things??

SAAMAG
02-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Looks promising. Sammo definitely there...didn't see any Jackie. The main guys looks a lot like Donnie Yen.

CFT
02-09-2010, 09:08 AM
The main guys looks a lot like Donnie Yen.Well it was DY playing Yip Man in the 1st film. I think he was set to reprise his role.

SAAMAG
02-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Well it was DY playing Yip Man in the 1st film. I think he was set to reprise his role.

But that guy looks too young to actually be DY. At first I was like alright its Sammo and Donnie but then as I watched it further the guy looked the same but different...and younger.

So I don't think its Donnie actually....

CFT
02-09-2010, 10:22 AM
But that guy looks too young to actually be DY. At first I was like alright its Sammo and Donnie but then as I watched it further the guy looked the same but different...and younger.

So I don't think its Donnie actually....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386932/fullcredits#cast

I saw Yuen Biao and Louis Fan Siu-Wong from the 1st film. But you're right that is not Donnie Yen.

kfson
02-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Looks very good!

Saboi Osmosis
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Well it was DY playing Yip Man in the 1st film. I think he was set to reprise his role.

DY will be in IP MAN 2.

i think this one 'Legend is born' is the prequel

chusauli
02-09-2010, 04:37 PM
This story seems to be of the young Yip Man learning in Foshan and then learning from Leung Bik...

CFT
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
DY will be in IP MAN 2.

i think this one 'Legend is born' is the prequelNo wonder! :o I was expecting this to be the sequel.

GeneChing
07-07-2010, 09:59 AM
It'll be tough to take the Ip Man role away from Donnie, but maybe he can in Ip Man 3 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57165). ;)

Dennis To: The new Bruce Lee? (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20100707-225711.html)
Wed, Jul 07, 2010
By Fiona Ho

Dennis To Yu-Hang probably has his close physical resemblance to Donnie Yen to thank, for winning the titular role in The Legend is Born - Ip Man.

After all, it was Donnie's portrayal of the late Wing Chun master that has won audiences from around the world.

But surely there is more to the 29-year-old than just his comely physique.

For one, he is the reigning World Kung Fu Champion.

He is also an expert in numerous kung fu styles, including Wing Chun, which he studied for eight years. Moreover, he is the "grand-student" of Ip Chun, Ip Man's real-life eldest son.

With all his martial arts credentials, it definitely looks like Dennis has what it takes to play Ip Man.

But the rising star admits that he felt a lot of pressure playing the martial arts master.

"I was worried about my acting," he said.

"Ip Man was my 'great-grandmaster'. I really wanted to do justice to his character and to all Wing Chun disciples too."

While some critics have called his acting 'wooden' and 'emotionless', Dennis insists that he did what the director (Checkley Sin) wanted - adding that the real Ip Man was said to be the strong, silent type.

However, Dennis thinks that his duel with Ip Chun (who plays Leung Bik) in the film really allowed him to shine.

"Grandmaster was fun to work with. He has a great sense of humour," said Dennis of the 86-year-old master.

The fresh-faced actor himself embodies a whole new generation of Kung Fu masters.

"I'm very honoured to be recognized alongside the great Kung Fu masters, but I still feel very inexperienced in the entertainment industry," he said.

For Dennis, the whole acting experience has been tough - "the ending scene has been changed five times! But the end-result makes everything worth it."

"I hope to spread Chinese Kung Fu around the world (through his films). In a way, I do feel like I'm representing the Chinese, just like Bruce Lee did," he said.

"Someone who isn't Chinese can practice Kung Fu and even be good at it, but they can never be as authentic. Kung Fu is one of the most precious things in the Chinese culture."

GeneChing
07-09-2010, 01:20 PM
The race for the first review here is on. SPJ? doug?

Rose of steel (http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=49179)

MODEL-TURNED-ACTRESS Rose Chan (below) tackles her first major movie role as Ip Man’s fellow Wing Chun practitioner who has a crush on him.

The petite 17-year-old literally packs quite a punch on her own as Chan has been *studying Wing Chun for two years and is a fellow practitioner of the martial art like lead actor Dennis To.

“Part of the movie’s aim is to promote the art and tell people that Wing Chun is actually suitable for women as well,” she says during a recent promotional tour to Malaysia with To.

Chan was only 15 when she met Wing Chun master Checkley Sin who *encouraged her to take up the art.

She says: “I was never into exercise all my life. I started from zero and then, this opportunity came along.

“It was scary initially to be working with so many big names. Dennis was the only one I knew but they were all very kind and understanding. We were like a family because we got together a month before shooting to prepare ourselves, and *practised from sunrise to *sunset.”

The singer reveals she will be focusing on acting, *perhaps taking up more *action roles, but hopes to have the chance to try other genres as well.
http://sun2surf.com/images/sun2surf/articles/49179/14b2-Rose1.jpg

GeneChing
07-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Thu, Jun 24, 2010
Winging it with Ip Chun (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20100624-223723.html)
By Tay Yek Keak

THE son of Ip Man has never been in a real fight.

Gongfu master Ip Man - whose story propelled the legendary martial art of wing chun to it status of the Chinese martial art du jour (and therefore turning Ip Man into the new Chinese action hero) - and his art didn't spur his eldest son, Ip Chun, into going mano-a-mano with anyone else, even when he was a hot-headed teen.

Instead, he was a pacifist by default. "When I was a kid, no one dared to fight me. I was Ip Man's son," he said in Cantonese with a laugh.

The sprightly, chatty 86- year-old was here recently to promote the prequel Ip Man: The Legend Is Born, now out in cinemas.

In the movie, Hong Kong world gongfu champion Dennis To plays Ip Man as a young man. Ip Man is known to audiences, thanks to Donnie Yen, who played the master in two films, Ip Man (2008) and Ip Man 2 (2010).

In The Legend Is Born, Ip Chun plays Leung Pik, one of Ip Man's principal masters, who teaches the young dude a different form of wing chun.

In the prequel, the senior citizen defeats the lad in a Chinese medicine shop with moves that look like they'd give anyone a hernia.

The irony of playing his father's shifu (master) is not lost on Ip Chun, who is a wing chun master in Hong Kong.

However, he views it as a generational connection.

"The producer (of the movie), Checkley Sin, is my disciple. Dennis is his disciple. So, there are three generations of wing chun practitioners in the movie," he said with a laugh.

The octogenarian, who knew Bruce Lee briefly in the early 1970s (Lee, famously, was Ip Man's student), is anything but a shy, withdrawn retiree.

Seizing the opportunity to talk, he upstaged his younger co-stars - To, as well as Hong Kong actors Fan Siu Wong and Rose Chan - when he hogged the microphone during his recent press conference here.

"This is the first and last time I'm acting in a film," he announced heartily.

"Learning martial arts is not that difficult, but acting is tougher because you have to redo your scenes so many times," he said with a mock sigh.

However, he understands that films are fantasy-making endeavours, which are far from the purity of his disciplined craft.

There are inaccuracies in the first two Ip Man movies, where Ip Chun is portrayed as a young boy - to the best of his recollection, Ip Chun was not with his father at the time.

But he doesn't mind. After all, he helped Donnie Yen with little details when the actor turned to him, asking to chat with him about his father.

Asked what his father was like, he said: "My father was a very humorous person. He influenced his children's upbringing gradually through his actions. I still miss him."

Ip Man - who started teaching Ip Chun wing chun when he was seven - died in 1972 of throat cancer. But he's getting a second life on celluloid, with Wong Kar Wai biopic The Grand Master in the works.

Ip Chun is encouraged by this enthusiasm and encourages it in turn.

"There might be other Ip Mans because the wave is not over yet," he said.
Just what we need...more Ip Mans. :rolleyes:

vatesi
07-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Was quite entertaining, especially if you compare it to the mess Ip Man 2 was. Was very light hearted for the most part, except the climax. Once again, the moral is that only evil **** comes out of Japan >_>

There was also quite a good, if not futile message from Ip Chun to stop the wing chun lineage bickering bull****.

GeneChing
07-19-2010, 09:52 AM
So vatesi, is this the Batman Begins (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37012) for Ip Man? ;)

Fighting to break free (http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=49178)
> Relative newcomer Dennis To strives to step out from under the shadow cast by award-winning Donnie Yen in his Ip Man role
Sharon Wong

IT’S HARD to live in the shadow of someone famous, and doubly hard to portray a well-known personality who has been popularised by someone famous.

When Dennis To was offered the role of Ip Man in the movie The Legend is Born: Ip Man, he had to contend with the fact that award-winning actor Donnie Yen had brought the legendary Wing Chun master to life in Ip Man and its sequel.

Naturally, appearing in this prequel is bound to bring about much comparison – especially since To actually looks a little like Yen. And seeing that To is a relative newcomer to the scene, those comparisons could be brutal.

However, To can be comforted by the fact that he is actually a Wing Chun practitioner and thus has no problems doing the stunts. But in portraying his great grandmaster, To has to face some pressure – not so much from Yen’s fans as from his fellow Wing Chun practitioners.

“If my portrayal is not good, I would definitely be criticised by my fellow practitioners,” he says during a recent promotional tour to Malaysia.

Fortunately for To, his grandmaster Ip Chun (Ip Man’s son, who also has a role in the movie) gave him 90 out of 100 for his performance and director Herman Yau also praised him for a job well done.

To gives himself 70 marks as he is still new and there is room for improvement. “I’m satisfied with the action part. It’s the acting that needs work.”

And the young actor admits that looking a little like Yen does help to make him more recognisable.

“But one can’t depend on that alone to make it. You have to develop your own style,” he adds.

Moreover, he and Yen played Ip Man at different times of the grandmaster’s life. “The whole cast for The Legend is Born is younger and not like Yen’s more matured character who is already a master.”

To actually had a small role in Ip Man 2 – as one of Sammo Hung’s disciples who bullies Huang Xiao Ming’s character at the fish market. “I look totally different in that scene,” he says.

In The Legend is Born, To admits he relishes the scene where he has a showdown with the character played by his grandmaster.

“Grandmaster Ip Chun was quite amusing in that scene and drew me into the moment easily,” he recalls.

“Our rapport was great and of course, the action part was not a problem. However, we did seven to eight takes to choose the best as the director wanted perfection.

“It was naturally tiring for the Grandmaster as he is over 80 years old but he was just great.”

Ip Chun earned himself the best supporting actor award at the recent Shanghai Film Festival for his effort.

To started practising martial arts at the age of six but took up Wing Chun only eight years ago when he was 22.

Since then, he has won many accolades including the title of world champion in the 1999 World Wushu competition as well as a silver medal in the 2002 Asian Games and a gold medal in the 2005 East Asian Games in the wushu category. He was also a flame bearer in the 2008 Olympics.

It is his dream to use martial arts to give back to society – helping fellow athletes in Hongkong who do not have the same benefits or perks as those in other countries.

To is also honoured to be named one of the new generation of action actors but hopes to work in different genres in the future.

And with Sammo Hung as his mentor to teach him all about acting – both in front as well as behind the camera – To looks set to cast his own shadow in the movie scene.

sanjuro_ronin
07-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Ok, so chronologically speaking, we have:

The Legend is born
Ip Man
Ip man 2

right?

GeneChing
07-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen did IM1 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52218) & 2 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56421). This film is independent, but it stars several of the same actors like Sammo Hung - different director, different production company. There's no reason why it couldn't overlap with the other films.

At what time in Ip Man's life does Legend end, vatesi?

GeneChing
07-20-2010, 09:48 AM
The Legend is Born: Ip Man (http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=48877)

Now that the people in the Hongkong film industry know that they can cash in on the revival of martial art films, especially the Ip Man instalments, they decided to do a prequel.

While the idea is good, its execution is another thing. The Legend is Born: Ip Man is a failure and a huge disappointment to all Ip Man fans.

This is a semi-biographical account, concentrating on Ip Man (To)’s childhood and teenage years. Ip Man is the first martial arts master to teach the Chinese martial arts known as Wing Chun.

If you expect it to be a film of him training people and showing off his skills, you are wrong.

A melodramatic sub-plot highlighting Ip Man’s romance with Cheung Wing Shing (Huang Yi) takes up a huge chunk of the movie. Needles to say, the awkward teenage love drama suddenly becomes the whole point of the film.

The scriptwriter, Erica Lee, also added a fictional character, Ip Tin-Chi (Fan), as an adopted brother of Ip Man into the story.

I would say that this film is an insult to the real master, Ip Man, himself.

The script is utterly stupid – this is what happens when you let someone who wrote films like My Mother is a Belly Dancer to write for an action film.

The direction by Yau is just as bad. His past film credits include teeny-bopper romance comedy Love at First Note and the not-so-funny slapstick comedy All’s Well Ends Well 2010.

While the choreography is quite good (but nothing compared to the real Ip Man series), the director’s skills are simply not good enough to capture the beauty of Wing Chun.

Acting wise, Fan and Biao did quite well in their respective roles but To, who is making his debut as an actor, was so bland I would think Donnie Yen (who played Ip Man in the film series) might feel embarrassed that this man who resembles him can hardly act at all.

The Legend is Born: Ip Man does have its moments, especially in the fighting scenes (when nobody is talking or acting).

But fans of Ip Man should stay away as it may ruin their impression of the grand master. – Chan Soo Wah

Updated: 09:56AM Fri, 02 Jul 2010
I've never seen My Mother is a Belly Dancer. Has anyone? :rolleyes:

doug maverick
07-20-2010, 01:06 PM
as expected. had 0 hope or expectation for this film. wasnt tracking it or planning to see it. just seemed like a weak attempt to cash in on the whole ip man craze.

SergeTk
07-20-2010, 05:45 PM
So let me get this right ..... according to the review a movie that actually tries to tell the real life story of Yip Man can ruin people perception about Yip Man, while movie that is mostly made up (Yip Man I) wouldn't ......

doug maverick
07-20-2010, 06:19 PM
i doubt it was trying to do that. i think wong kar wai's version will be more biographical then these films.

SergeTk
07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
i doubt it was trying to do that. i think wong kar wai's version will be more biographical then these films.

Ok haven't realized there were 3 diffrent movies coming out by 3 different directorors. .. I thought this was wong kar wai's version.........still I watched it yesterday it had more true to it than first Yip Man and fighting isn't bad either.....

Dont get me wrong I like Yip Man movies , but would like a bit more of his real life told.

RedJunkRebel
11-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Saw this movie a couple weeks ago, didn't have high hopes for it initially, but really liked it. It's too bad Ip Man came out before this one. A few of my students liked this one better than the first Ip Man. I'm not so sure, but know I liked it better than Ip Man 2. I didn't see much marketing of this one though. I don't even think there's a website in English for it even though the DVD has good English subtitles http://dragonstore.myshopify.com/products/the-legend-is-born-ip-man. What's up with that?

chusauli
11-10-2010, 03:07 PM
For entertainment value, it was fine.

Ip Chun stars as Leung Bik, and it is interesting to see his interpretation is that he taught the young Ip Man "high kicks" and "throwing methods", and then he was branded a "traitor" when he goes back to Futshan, for studying "outside" the system, as a semi-biographical sub-plot.

That part was stupid, and made no sense to me.

The rest of the plot of Japanese adopted brother, Si Mui in love with Ip Man and the ending was your typical martial arts movie.

Sammo Hung and Yuen Biu certainly got a lot of mileage of old choreographed routines which I saw back in the late 70's and throughout the '80's.

chusauli
11-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Ok, so chronologically speaking, we have:

The Legend is born
Ip Man
Ip man 2

right?

Yup, that's the gist of it.

RedJunkRebel
11-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Ip Chun stars as Leung Bik, and it is interesting to see his interpretation is that he taught the young Ip Man "high kicks" and "throwing methods", and then he was branded a "traitor" when he goes back to Futshan, for studying "outside" the system, as a semi-biographical sub-plot.

That part was stupid, and made no sense to me.

Hey Sifu Chu,

In thinking of what really happened, have you found any historical evidence of how Yip Man's Wing Chun changed after studying he studied with Leung Bik?

chusauli
11-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Its largely conjecture that Ip Man had studied with Leung Bik at all.

And if Leung Bik was smaller than Chan Wah Shun, why would he use high kicks and throwing?

I would speculate (guess) that if Ip Man did really meet Leung Bik, Leung would have taught him to use his body more efficiently to control the center of gravity, and then be able to throw and/or kick or strike at will. And also, his Si Hing would not brand Ip Man a traitor because he studied with his Si Bak (elder martial arts uncle), and it is in keeping within the family. All of it makes no sense in the movie.

Lastly, if someone studies outside of the family and uses the skills to show the family they are lacking in certain skills, it would make sense to the family to grow and develop counters or adopt the skill which defeated them. Chinese have been open minded about this for centuries.

Yoshiyahu
11-16-2010, 03:27 PM
i seen both. I got a copy of all three yip man movies...

The second one is cool but i hate how the white boxer from america kills sammo hung the hung gar fighter. But i like the scene in the second one when donnie yen whips the praying mantis fighter...

oh its interesting how donnie yen in the second ip man movie takes a beating against the big tall white boxer but manages to not get killed and wins. I mean to me the second yip man is anti american or white, the first and third one is anti japanese...they portray the foriegners as arrogant and evil.

the third one is really interesting it shows yip man as child an his father brings him to learn from chan wah who is played by sammo hung...an when sammo dies then his top students takes over an teaches...This guy is yip man teacher in the movie...But then yip man goes to hong kong as teenager an learns some techniques from leung bik like a high kick and some grappling techniques against the japanese jiujitsu...Its pretty cool. But then his teacher flips starts beating him talking about leung bik is a disgrace and his wc is not real wc...its fantasy wing chun something he got from other styles and also some of the moves he made up...an then the age old rivarlies come out...

But at the end it says that it doesn't matter who taught you the wing chun if it works and its effective its wc...the innovations or changes your teacher added doesn't matter or what you added doesn't matter as long as it works for you...in the end it states we are all one family...

Yip Man teacher reminds of how terrence niehoff talks about robert lee mcfield wing chun and eddie mau wing chun being fantasy, made up and fake!

anyway i got all three dvds they pretty good...ooh an the yip man friend in the school turns out to be a japanese spy who marries a chinese girl an later betrays yip man and the school...They had some great fight scenes.

The fight scene with the japs, yip mans friend, yip man teacher, thugs in the street, and leung bik and even the white guys in hong kong was pretty good. I thought it was donnie yen at first too...but its not unfortuntaely....

Has anyone else seen yip man two and three yet too?

Some of the techniques the movie said leung bik taught yip man

-Low elbow strikes
-high kicks
-throws
-joint locks
-bil bee or darting fingers

yip man sifu in the movie complains about the elbow being so low an wc not having high kicks...So leung bik taught you crap cuss it aint real wc!

GeneChing
10-27-2011, 09:19 AM
The S.F. Chron listed Ip Man Zero: The Legend is Born as opening this weekend. I heard Funimation planned to release it theatrically in the U.S. but couldn't confirm a theater outlet in our area or on the web.

Here's Funimation's Ip Man Zero website (http://www.ipmanlegendmovie-us.com/).

GeneChing
12-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Not sure if you've all been following this in the wake of this film.

Rose Chan recounts Joe Ma, Benny Chan's drunken attack, goes to police (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/1167038/1/.html)
Posted: 22 November 2011 2052 hrs
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/imagegallery/store/phpSiNqUU.jpg
HONG KONG: Hong Kong actress Rose Chan held a press conference in Hong Kong on Tuesday to speak about the recent paparazzi photographs that showed actors Joe Ma and Benny Chan hugging and kissing her against her will, reported Hong Kong media.

The actress, who only recently turned 19, had earlier confirmed that Ma and Benny Chan had hugged and kissed her when they got drunk during a group outing in China recently, but did not give details until she addressed the media at the press conference.

"After the incident, I have been very upset.

"My family, my martial arts instructor (who was working with her on a new film) and my manager, along with everyone in my management company have been unhappy," said Rose Chan, who wore no makeup and looked pale and dishevelled during the press conference.

The actress expressed that she went out with Ma, Benny Chan and a few others at Timmy Hung's (Sammo Hung's eldest son) invitation when they were all in Hengdian, China for work.

"Because I trusted him (Timmy Hung), I went with out with them.

"Before Timmy Hung got drunk, everything was fine, but after he got drunk, the incident happened," explained Rose Chan.

"The seniors who always treated me like a little sister, it is as though they had become different people."

"I was really scared at the time and found it unthinkable," said the actress, her eyes damp with tears.

Rose Chan went on to stress that she did not drink a drop of alcohol that evening.

She said things happened too suddenly, so she "could not react in time" to fight off Ma and Benny Chan, even though she is well-versed in martial arts.

The actress added that she did not pursue the matter then as she was a "stranger who did not know the lay of the land" in China.

However, when asked about where she was touched and why there were some photos of her smiling during the group outing, Rose Chan's lawyer stepped in and said she could not answer the question as it might impact the police case.

After the press conference ended, the actress made her way to the Kwun Tung Police Station to lodge a police complaint about the incident.

It was chaos as almost 50 reporters trailed Rose Chan to the police station, causing traffic jams in the area.

Benny Chan apologises for harassing Rose Chan, vows to give up drinking (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/1167444/1/.html)
Posted: 24 November 2011 2057 hrs

HONG KONG: Hong Kong actor Benny Chan held a press conference in Hong Kong on Thursday, to apologise for forcibly hugging and kissing actress Rose Chan, after having too much to drink during a recent group outing in Hengdian, China, reported Hong Kong media.

"Regarding the unpleasant incident that happened last week in Hengdian, I sincerely apologise to her (Rose Chan)," said Benny Chan before bowing deeply in apology.

"I admit that I drank too much that day, went overboard and unintentionally, unconsciously, did some impolite things to Rose. I admit I am really wrong."

"I regret my drunken actions which have hurt and disappointed a lot of people, especially my wife. She is preparing to be hospitalised to have a baby but was worried and upset [by this event], as were my fans," said the actor, who became emotional and wept bitterly.

"I thank my wife for her trust and support. I will turn over a new leaf to be a husband and a father who is willing to take responsibility and repent.

"I promise everyone that I will try hard to give up drinking, remember this lesson and constantly reflect on my actions. I hope Rose can accept my apology," said Benny Chan, who was accompanied by his wife, former model Lisa Jiang, at the press conference.

Both Benny Chan and his wife wept intermittently throughout the event.

Jiang spoke up in support of her husband despite her tears.

"Hopefully, everyone will give Benny a chance. He has really done wrong. He apologised to me and my baby and promised to work hard, give up drinking.

"I also hope Rose Chan can forgive him," said Jiang at the end of the ten-minute press conference.

Benny Chan was still weeping when assistants led him and his wife out of the venue, amidst constant camera flashes from the small army of photographers that attended the press event.

The story so far

Benny Chan's actions first came to light after paparazzi photos of him and Joe Ma becoming too touchy feely with 19-year-old actress Rose Chan, while intoxicated during a group outing in China, were published in Hong Kong tabloids recently.

Rose Chan held a press conference on Tuesday to address the matter and lodged a police complaint about the incident soon after.

She returned to Hengdian, China, to resume filming for her new movie after going to the police.

Ma had since insisted that he did not behave inappropriately toward Rose Chan and would take legal action against certain media outlets for inaccurate reporting and for publishing personal attacks against him.

Even as Hong Kong celebrities like Simon Yam and Eric Tsang criticise Benny Chan and Joe Ma over the incident, sceptics questioned if Rose Chan had set the whole thing up to gain publicity.

They point out that is highly uncommon for Hong Kong paparazzi to operate in Hengdian, yet it was the Hong Kong paparazzi who were present when the incident occurred and snapped the ****ing photos.

Triads get involved in Rose Chan's sexual harassment scandal (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20111205-314451.html)
The Star/Asia News Network
Monday, Dec 05, 2011
http://news.asiaone.com/a1media/multimedia/12Dec11/others/20111205.161304_rosechanrotator.jpg
Sin Chew Daily reported that the sexual harassment scandal involving Hong Kong actress Rose Chan and two senior actors had escalated.

It was reported that the triads had issued a "licence to kill" against the star's Wing Chun sifu-cum-manager Master Sin Kwok Lam, who acted as her spokesman after she complained of being sexually harassed.

Police, who got wind of the assassination attempt, arrested four people and seized three toy guns.

Since then, Master Sin had started "lying low", declining to speak to reporters and would only reply to text messages.

The Legend is BornIp Man actress, 19, was forcefully kissed and molested by Hong Kong actors Joe Ma and Benny Chan during a supper gathering in China last month.

Separate police reports have been lodged in Hong Kong and China over the incident.

GeneChing
12-22-2011, 10:48 AM
*****ed by a Rose thorn? (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20111205-314508.html)
The New Paper
Tuesday, Dec 06, 2011
http://news.asiaone.com/A1MEDIA/news/12Dec11/others/20111205.175704_apple_*****ed.jpg
The storm of controversy erupted when paparazzi pictures of 19-year-old Hong Kong starlet Rose Chan being kissed and hugged by fellow actors and co-stars Joe Ma, 43, and Benny Chan, 42, surfaced.

The actors had apparently gone for supper after a day of filming in Hengdian, China.

Another co-star, Timmy Hung, son of gongfu star Sammo Hung, was supposed to have looked out for Rose as she had travelled to the mainland without an assistant. But he was reportedly drunk.

The furore was fuelled by the relative youth of the starlet as well as the pictures, which showed Rose grimacing at being touched.

A teary Rose gave her side of the story at a press conference before reporting the men to the police for molesting her.

Chan initially protested his innocence on his microblog.

He quickly changed his story and apologised publicly when pictures of him groping Rose were published by Oriental Sunday magazine.

Ma, on the other hand, maintained that pictures of him hugging Rose depicted him comforting her after she had been on the receiving end of Benny Chan's drunken misconduct.

Many expressed sympathy towards Rose, including renowned director Wong Jing, whose film the three were shooting. He likened Benny Chan to a "lecher" on his Sina Weibo microblog.

Rose's mentor and producer Checkley Sin called the two men "worse than beasts for bullying a helpless woman".

But as quickly as the sympathy came, it also vanished rapidly when more pictures emerged of Chan smiling during the supper high jinks.

Some are asking if the episode was a publicity stunt for Rose to gain attention.

Why didn't Rose use her gongfu skills when the actors started behaving inappropriately?

She certainly has no lack of them, netizens said.

Others pointed out that Rose was not just any ordinary wing chun exponent; she bagged the silver medal at the 2009 national wushu championships in Hong Kong.

Ironically, days before she held her press conference to open up about being "molested", she was seen at a promotional event demonstrating nifty self-defence moves to flight attendants.

It's not the first time that Rose, who spent five hours lodging a police report on Wednesday, has made headlines as a "victim" of sexual harassment.

In June, she was decked out in hot pants at a function when French eyewear designer Alain Miklitarian's hand reportedly brushed her near her crotch.

Hong Kong press reported Rose as saying that Mr Miklitarian subsequently apologised.

Victims of sexual harassment or molest sometimes suffer lashback, and may feel hesitant about voicing their concerns, says Mr Ian Poulier, associate consultant at The Sel Network, which provides counselling services.

"Sometimes they worry that they're too sensitive, or they may be afraid that people won't believe them, especially if the other party is more senior in the company or social setting."

Days after Chan held a press conference to apologise for behaving inappropriately towards Rose, he met the press again on Wednesday to announce the birth of his baby daughter Ya Ru, reported Hong Kong media.

His baby daughter and wife, Lisa Jiang, a Chinese former-model, share the same birthday.

When asked how his recent scandal had affected him, the first-time father expressed that he did not wish to dwell on the past and only wanted to work hard as well as care for his family.

Ma, who has admitted that the recent scandal upset his wife, said he intends to go on holiday with her after filming his current drama.

Why didn't Rose use her gongfu? I remember the first time I walked into my Kwoon with a black eye. They asked me the same question. :rolleyes:

GeneChing
08-22-2013, 12:03 PM
It wasn't bad. Actually, it was a lot better than I had expected (but then like many of the previous reviewers, my expectations weren't that high). There were some amusing fights (although I'm getting weary of so much WC (http://www.martialartsmart.com/wing-chun-kung-fu-dvd.html) in fight scenes, as if that really works in MMA ;)). I enjoyed seeing Sammo and Yuen Biao mix it up again, even if it was a short scene. I really liked Ip Chun. He has a natural gravitas and seems to be having a lot of fun with his role. The plot was ok - if you expect a lot from Kung Fu movie plots, you're just asking for disappointment. I forgot about the Rose Chan thing above until just reviewing this thread just now. I wish I remembered that as it would have added some complexity to viewing this flick. Dennis To Yu-Hang looks eerily like a young Donnie Yen in this flick, surely why he got the role, and I vacillated between being amused and unsettled by that likeness.

All in all, it's an entertaining sidestep in the whole Ip Man films, which now at 5 major flicks is becoming a genre of its own.

Siu Lum Fighter
11-03-2013, 07:42 PM
This movie just became available on Netflix and I saw it just now. For me it was one of those films that keeps trying to redeem itself but in the end I'm left feeling a bit disappointed. After a series of over the top and over-long fight scenes, that one could only assume weren't accurate portrayals of any fight Ip Man engaged in ever, and after realizing that one of the main characters (his adopted brother) was not just another fictitious character but a Japanese spy and a ninja (seriously), I finally had trouble finishing it.

That's usually how I am with historical biopics. When I watch films about historical figures I like seeing portrayals of things that actually happened. I actually don't mind if the fight choreography is a little flashy in movies like this, but when every fight keeps going on and on with no end in site, they start seeming a little too unrealistic. I have to say, much of the fight choreography was pretty awesome but, still, I just couldn't get past the ninjas. Really?

PalmStriker
11-05-2013, 10:08 PM
I just saw it the other night on Netflix also and had to watch it again to catch everything going on. Liked the ninjettes. :):D:)