PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun/ Ving Tsun/ etc Lineage

wkmark
05-10-2010, 08:13 AM
I was curious since I am new to this forum, would the people who practice Wing Chun or however you spell it mind letting me know what Lineage you are from or who you learn it from? I am asking only to try and understand what lineage the majority of the people outside of Hong Kong is under. This is not a thread for Lineage politics or anything, it is purely out of curiosity. If someone feels offended about this, I apologize in advance. You can even PM if you don't want this out in the open. I for myself is under WSL lineage. I started learning from Sifu Wong Shung Leung and is now training under my Sihing Cliff Au Yeung.

Vajramusti
05-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I was curious since I am new to this forum, would the people who practice Wing Chun or however you spell it mind letting me know what Lineage you are from or who you learn it from? I am asking only to try and understand what lineage the majority of the people outside of Hong Kong is under. This is not a thread for Lineage politics or anything, it is purely out of curiosity. If someone feels offended about this, I apologize in advance. You can even PM if you don't want this out in the open. I for myself is under WSL lineage. I started learning from Sifu Wong Shung Leung and is now training under my Sihing Cliff Au Yeung.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi wkmark-
good wishes..if people have a good wsl teacher that is great and I know who Cliff Au Yeung is.
I don't pay much attention to most of the stuff on this forum- too many folks just like to hear themselves chatter. But in the spirit of your question- Augustine Fong is my wing chun sifu and my sigung is Ho Kam Ming.I live and teach in Tempe, Arizona, USA.

joy chaudhuri

yellow aster
05-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Greetings. I'm pretty new here too and don't post much. I train in the Leung Sheung lineage.

wkmark
05-11-2010, 04:18 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi wkmark-
good wishes..if people have a good wsl teacher that is great and I know who Cliff Au Yeung is.
I don't pay much attention to most of the stuff on this forum- too many folks just like to hear themselves chatter. But in the spirit of your question- Augustine Fong is my wing chun sifu and my sigung is Ho Kam Ming.I live and teach in Tempe, Arizona, USA.

joy chaudhuri

Thanks for your reply.

wkmark
05-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Greetings. I'm pretty new here too and don't post much. I train in the Leung Sheung lineage.

Thank you for your reply. I have heard of the name Leung Sheung, but I am not familiar with his stories or his background. Nevertheless the name is well known.

LoneTiger108
05-11-2010, 05:29 AM
I was curious since I am new to this forum, would the people who practice Wing Chun or however you spell it mind letting me know what Lineage you are from or who you learn it from?.

In the spirit of welcoming you to the madhouse I am of the Lee Shing Family, learning from Joseph Man in London (Jun Mo School) :cool:

Ip Man -> Lee Shing -> Joseph Man -> me

couch
05-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Original Lineage: Yip Man, Moy Yat, Sunny Tang (Dunn Wah), Joseph Boychuk, Dave Harris, me

I write "original lineage" because I've broken away, as many folks have, from the usual way of doing things. That way if someone says, "That's not Moy Yat family Ving Tsun," they'll be right!

Best,
K

dfl
05-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Thank you for your reply. I have heard of the name Leung Sheung, but I am not familiar with his stories or his background. Nevertheless the name is well known.

OMG!
Is the level of knowledge in HK so low that the names of Leung Sheung & Lok Yiu are UNKNOWN?
For your information (you should verify it with your teacher and other WC elders, e.g. Tsui Sheung Tin), Leung Sheung and Lok Yiu were there long before Wong Shun Leung showed up on Yip Man's doorsteps.
This article may be helpful:
http://www.vingtsun.org.hk/ipmantongfeel.htm

RGVWingChun
05-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Ip Man -> IP CHING -> Matt Johnson -> Me

k gledhill
05-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Yip Man - V Kan\
....................... me
WSL - P Bayer /

Sihing73
05-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Hello,

FWIW

Yip Man>Ho Kam Ming>Augustine Fong>Roy Undem>Me

Yip Man>Leung Ting>Keith Kernsprecht/Allan Fong>Me

Yip Man>Leung Sheung>Nq Wah Sum>Chong Kwok Chow>Me

I have been fortunate to train with some others of different lineages but only claim those I was formally associated with. Currently I am with Sifu Chow of NYC although I now live in Georgia.

In addition to the Wing Chun I have also trained in Pekiti Tirsia and am currently exploring American Kunto Silat.

Ultimatewingchun
05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Yip Man - William Cheung-------- me (1983 - present)

Yip Man - Moy Yat-------------- me (1975 - 1983)

bennyvt
05-12-2010, 12:45 AM
wsl- barry lee- bill dowding- me. I get to train with all barry's top guys. Also got to go to hong kong and train with your teacher, a really great guy with heaps to teach. Have train with people in hong kong and china and other wsl guys but ill always call bill my teacher. He is in china teaching now and he goes to see cliff sometimes so you might have meet him.

wkmark
05-12-2010, 07:54 AM
OMG!
Is the level of knowledge in HK so low that the names of Leung Sheung & Lok Yiu are UNKNOWN?
For your information (you should verify it with your teacher and other WC elders, e.g. Tsui Sheung Tin), Leung Sheung and Lok Yiu were there long before Wong Shun Leung showed up on Yip Man's doorsteps.
This article may be helpful:
http://www.vingtsun.org.hk/ipmantongfeel.htm

I didn't mean any disrespect. Yes i have heard of the names of Leung Sheung and Lok Yiu. I just have not heard much stores or information about their Wing Chun start ups etc. Yes, I am well aware that they were both earlier than Sifu Wong SHun leung.

No Worries, I will read up on my histories. =)

wkmark
05-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Yip Man - V Kan\
....................... me
WSL - P Bayer /

Well I could tell from your signature that you had trained with Sihing Philip.

wkmark
05-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Hello,

FWIW

Yip Man>Ho Kam Ming>Augustine Fong>Roy Undem>Me

Yip Man>Leung Ting>Keith Kernsprecht/Allan Fong>Me

Yip Man>Leung Sheung>Nq Wah Sum>Chong Kwok Chow>Me

I have been fortunate to train with some others of different lineages but only claim those I was formally associated with. Currently I am with Sifu Chow of NYC although I now live in Georgia.

In addition to the Wing Chun I have also trained in Pekiti Tirsia and am currently exploring American Kunto Silat.

Wow that's quite a list of different people. I wonder was it different to learn from all these different people?

wkmark
05-12-2010, 07:57 AM
wsl- barry lee- bill dowding- me. I get to train with all barry's top guys. Also got to go to hong kong and train with your teacher, a really great guy with heaps to teach. Have train with people in hong kong and china and other wsl guys but ill always call bill my teacher. He is in china teaching now and he goes to see cliff sometimes so you might have meet him.

I will have to check with Sihing Cliff on Bill Dowding. We always have people coming to visit off and on.

shawchemical
05-12-2010, 08:39 PM

WSL, Barry Lee, Bill Dowding, me. The guys within our school like benny, craig and mikelis have been an endless source of bruises and advice.

wkmark
05-13-2010, 08:35 AM
WSL, Barry Lee, Bill Dowding, me. The guys within our school like benny, craig and mikelis have been an endless source of bruises and advice.

Haha.. I am sure they have. Sihing Barry was one of the earlier students of Wong Shun Leung. Along the lines of Yuen Yim Keung who sadly just passed away recently.

Sihing73
05-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Wow that's quite a list of different people. I wonder was it different to learn from all these different people?

Each had their own differences and focus. The most open to new ideas or methods is Chung Kwok Chow. He has gone out of his way to visit with other WC people to train with and bring back things he thinks useful. He is also incorporating BJJ into his WC as well.

While each was different they all had the same core techniques. Weighting would be different as in LT's system we were 100% rear weighted in Chows we are closer to 50/50 although that changes with the situation and can fluctuate.

I can say that even years after leaving WT I am still a very back weighted person, lol.

mjw
05-16-2010, 09:34 AM
I learn from Tony Kariotis who originally learned from Steve Lee Swift and then later Augustine Fong.......

bennyvt
05-16-2010, 07:13 PM
it was a real shame about Yuen kim keung, Barry spend lots of time training with him, he also said that tommy's knife form was the best he had seen. Coming from Barry that's alot.

Chuan fa
05-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Yip Man > WSL > G. Lam > Me.

maelstrom
05-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Yip Man -> Wong Shun Leung -> Philipp Bayer -> Me