PDA

View Full Version : praying mantis advocates speak your mind

Raatra
07-25-2000, 05:35 PM
i have a decent foundation in wing chun. but due to a relocation in the past i was unable to train in the style for nearly a year. now after relocating again i am in the position to continue my wing chun under what i hear teaches a form of praying mantis and is supposed to excel in the style. so..i would like to is a respected teacher. however he also hear from any mantis advocates about the style: what its philosophy is both combat and otherwise, preferred weapons, and any comparisons you might like to make with it and wing chun. thank you.

BeiTangLang
07-25-2000, 06:27 PM
Could you rephrase your question??
(seriously, I want to answer but am not exactly sure what your shooting for).

Taijimantis
07-25-2000, 08:28 PM
I dont understand what you are asking at all.

mantis108
07-25-2000, 09:55 PM
Hi Raatra,

Let me be the adventurous one. Here's the questions, I think you are asking.

1) You are a Wing Chun Fan Who also like to "experiment" with other long range combat style to "round" off your short range combat ability. Is this doable?

2) You like or you've hear that Praying Mantis is an agile and graceful style. But it has so many branches of Mantis, and you wonder which suits you best?

3) You are debating wheather to go for the style or the instruct's calibur?

4) In the future, would you able to blend the two training system into your very own "self knowledge"?

If your answers to any of the above is yes, than we could talk. You are welcome to contact me a Tai Chi Praying Mantis practitioner who uses a form of Chi Sau exercise to train sensetivity. Mantis "stick" and "move" too. Here my e-mail

sifu1@internorth.com

Good luck in your search.

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa

Raatra
07-26-2000, 03:38 AM
man, i dont know what i said either. at least not what was posted. it must have mixed up a few words when it moved the message to the board. i am simply asking any mantis practictioners to tell me a little about their style and maybe make some comparisons with wing chun. i am deciding whether or not to resume my wing chun training or take up mantis.

Taijimantis
07-26-2000, 05:08 AM
If you are looking for answers about Tai Chi Praying Mantis, Mantis108 is the guy to talk to.

I can be of some help too if you are interested, I have connected with Mantis108, as well as Sifu Paul Eng, resourses for an article I am preparing for Kung Fu Quigong Magazine. I myself stydy under one of Chiu Chuk Kai's elder disciples as well in Michigan, but as I said my personal knowledge is limited to my immaturity in the system.

Talk to 108.

Namaste

mantis boxer
07-26-2000, 03:19 PM
Raatara,

Where are you from?

Raatra
07-26-2000, 04:56 PM
i move around alot..right now im in dallas, texas.

BeiTangLang
07-26-2000, 06:27 PM
A really good chance that you study under Sifu Cottrell then?? All I can say about the two is mantis is more of a moving game than Wing Chun is. As a whole, mantis has most of the same techniques that you will find in Wing Chun only using "mantis waist jing" instead of the southern style "aduction jing". Imagine if you will 2 tanks. One is all terrain very mobile & medium guns that shoot in all directions. The other is a tank is on very solid tread, mobile but preffers to plow straight into its opponents, heavily armored in the front & guns that fire in a very rapid fashion. Praying mantis & Wing Chun respectively ( & very overly simplistic). I can go on to write a book, but it would do you no good. If you want to really find out, ask your instructor if you can switch styles for a month or two to see if you like the other one better.
Best of luck to you ,
-BTL