PDA

View Full Version : NPM wooden dummy

FUJIYakumo
07-26-2000, 08:42 AM
Hi, i'm not a NPM guy, but I have some questions on the NPM dummy. I have seen several versions of the wing chun mook and several different choy li fut mook jong.

how does the NPM mook differ? i largly suspect its gonna be the same as the others (i mean, how much variation can one have really, but i spose based on training+application specific dummies...)

how many different forms are there for the NPM dummy?

i have heard many things about NPM before over time and reading various ma rag mags etc, but i have never heard any mention of an NPM dummy. is it a relativly new thing?

is it part of the plum flower pole training?

when is it usually introduced into carriculum?

Taijimantis
07-26-2000, 05:03 PM
Depends.
In Tai Chi Praying Mantis, the Upper arms on the dummt are traditionally further apart and the dummy is mounted on leaf springs.
Mt Sifu has apparently modified this design further, by taking the stagger out of the arms and adding "wrists" to them by flaring the ends. Some students who own them personally say they would further modify this by adding a slight downward slant to these arms.

There is only one form I know of.

namaste

mantis108
07-27-2000, 06:49 AM
Tai Chi Praying Mantis is perhaps the only Mantis branch that offers Wooden Dummy in form of a full set. This is largely due to Sigung Chui Chuk Kai's tireless effort to refine the system. One of his sworn brothers was a high calibur Wing Chun practitioner. He was impressed by Wing Chun Wooden Dummy training method. Sigung had Wooden Dummy training back in his training days in Shatung province; however, it was not structured as a full set. He felt that many of the Mantis techniques (i.e. Mantis captures Cicada) can be trained with the WD. The pilot WD form in TCPM had more long range techniques;therefore, more "away" from the Dummy. It was later refined into a more close range oriented form. Double plam strikes, elbows, grappling, and takedown moves are included. The guard (distance between the arms) is wider than the Wing Chun ones. The wall mounting and spring leaves take the load of the pounding really well (sometime, we all get carry away a bit) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. There are about 108 moves to commemerate Sigung's Buddhist temple training background.

Hope this will help

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa

Paul Skrypichayko
07-27-2000, 08:16 AM
I have learned a few versions of the same wooden dummy form from my ex TCPM sifu. Some similarities between TCPM and Wing Chun, and some major differences too.

I think the idea of using a form could be good for some types of students, whereas others could benefit more from just training one or two moves at a time.

In my hung gar training, my sifu describes about 5 or 6 different types of stationary, moving, and mechanical dummies that they would use. No forms were used for training, just certain drills and exercises, then free flowing moves.

There was another topic posted that talked about the different types of mountings used for a dummy. I have seen 4 or 5 ways to mount a dummy to the floor and/or walls. I don't really think it matters, so long as the dummy has some "give" to it. Otherwise, you have to know how to discharge all of your moves to avoid future injuries.

FUJIYakumo
07-28-2000, 05:58 AM
thanks for the info guys, mantis108, paul.