PDA

View Full Version : Help me see the light....

Iron_Monkey
08-01-2000, 09:59 AM
I already asked this question, but I only recieved one reply (which was helpful but not quite what I needed) So I thought I would try the Northern Board. I study a longfist style that originated in the Shandong Temple. My Sifu is Cheng Tsang Lu, and his Sifu was Chian Ho Yin. My question is that I am unsure of exactly what style or sect or whatever of longfist I train in. I was going to ask Sifu, but I lost a battle with an irrigation ditch, and found myself without transportation, so I have not been able to go to class. The name of my school is Chung Shing, but some hangings and thing in the kwoon say Gi Pin Kung Fu. Monkeyslaptoo said it might be a composite style. I would just like to know if anyone has info on what it truly is. My school's site is http://www.xmission.com/~tpleary/pages/kfhtml/kf.hp.html

---------------------------------------------
In all situations
be aware, be mindful, and be
indomitable.
Wandering aimlessly invites attack.
But if one is attacked,
retreat three times
before retaliating.

MIA
08-10-2000, 10:38 PM
I don't think there was ever a 'Shandong Temple.' However, Shandong is renown for several martial arts styles that originated from that Chinese province. There was an official national survey done by the mainland Chinese government that counted over 300 different martial arts styles in Shandong Province alone.

Speaking of 'Temple,' there is a 'Long Tan Shi' (Dragon Pond Temple) located in 'Tan Jia Gou Zi' (Tan Family Village) in Shandong Province where one of the two versions of 'Tan Tui' supposedly originated.

In my opinion, most people like to think of the Chinese martial arts as something mystical or religious, thus any martial art associated with a 'temple,' especially 'Shaolin,' may sound very appealing to prospective students. Actually, the 'Northern Shaolin' style is considered just one of the 5 main styles of 'changquan' (Longfist). Furthermore, the name 'Shaolin' is very difficult to define or categorize because in the past many martial arts practitioners in China associated whatever fighting system they taught as being 'Shaolin' - lending the legendary temple's name to add credibility to their system.

I checked out your instructor's website. I suppose that he is originally from Taiwan. Many martial arts practitioners from Shandong retreated along with the Kuomintang Army to Taiwan after the Chinese Civil War, so there are many martial arts styles from Shandong being practiced and taught on the island. In any case, some of the forms listed by your instructor are common to the Northern Longfist styles being practiced in Shandong and Taiwan.

Fu Hsing Ch'uan I - 'Renascence' Fist One
Fu Hsing Ch'uan Er - 'Renascence' Fist Two
Lien Bu Ch'uan - Linking Steps Fist
Chi Hsing Ch'uan - Seven Star Fist
Lo Han Ch'uan - Arhat Fist
Pa Kua Liu Tui - Eight Triagrams Kicks
Lien Huan Pa Kun - Linking Eight Staff
Shi Er Lu Tan Tui - 12 Routine Spring Legs

San Tsai Chien - 3 Forces (Heaven, Earth, Man) Straightsword

Si Lu Ch'a Ch'uan* - 4th Routine Cha Fist

* Chaquan (Cha Boxing) is categorized as one of the main schools of changquan. It is said to have been created in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644 AD) by Cha Xiang-yi, who used to be called Chamir - a Hui (Muslim) native of Xinjiang Province in northwest China.
Joining the army to fight pirates off China’s eastern coast, Chamir journeyed on foot, climbing mountains and crossing rivers in harsh conditions. On his way, however, he contracted bad colds and was laid up before he could reach the front. He was left to recuperate in a mountain village in Guanxian County in Shandong Province. In gratitude for their care and kindness, Chamir passed down the Tantui (Spring Leg) and Ten Routine Boxing, which had been devised and practiced by himself for many years, to the villagers of Guanxian County. As more people learned this boxing, it spread far and wide around China. Later people named the Ten Routine Boxing as Chaquan, taking the first character “Cha” in Chamir’s name.
This style originally consisted of 28 routines, which were put in alphabetical order according to the Arabic language. Later, however, the 28 routines were synthesized into ten routines.
Chaquan routines are characterized by their large, fast and agile movements as well as sudden stops and steady stances.

Liu Ho Ch'uan - Six Harmony Fist

Tsai Shou Dui Da - ? Two Person Form

Sun Pin Ch'uan** - Sun Bin Fist

** Sun Bin Boxing is quite popular in eastern China. Nobody knew of its origin until quite recently. It was said that this type of boxing was created by Sun Bin, a military strategist of the Warring States Period (476-221 BC); however, Sun Bin Quan was actually created by Zhang Jing-chun from Ren Ping County, Shandong Province near the end of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911 AD) and named after the popular historical figure. Zhang was a cart driver who in 1900 had joined the Yihetuan Movement (Boxer Rebellion).
Also known as “long-sleeve” boxing, Sun Bin boxing requires 360 movements for a full set. It was designed for actual combat. In practice one must move the hands and feet simultaneously and keep legs and arms bent but forceful. The boxing is for both defense and attack.

Shaolin Ch'ai (This form is from Cha Fist.)

Chung Hsing Dwan Kun - Zhong Xing Short Staff

Dan Dao Po Hua Ch'iang - Single Sabre versus Spear

Tang Lang Ch'uan - Mantis Fist (...from which tanglangquan system? There are many Tanglangquan forms.)

Kun Wu Chien - Kun Wu Straightsword

Tai Tsu Pan Long Kun - Taizu Emperor Coiling Dragon Staff

Hsiao Mei Hua Dao - Small Plum Blossom Sabre
Yang Chia Ch'iang - Yang Family Spear
Liu Ho Kun - Six Harmony Six Staff
Lien Wu Tsang - ? Palm

Ch'un Ch'iu Da Kwan Dao - Spring and Autumn Halberd (Guan Dao)

Da Mei Hua Dao - Big Plum Blossom Sabre

Hsiao Hu Yen - Small Tiger and Swallow (This is a Longfist Tanglangquan form.)

Mei Hua Shuang Dao - Plum Blossom Double Sabre

Ching Hong Chien - ? Straightsword

Tai Tsu Chang Ch'uan I - Taizu Emperor Long Fist Form One

Tai Tsu Chang Ch'uan Er - Taizu Emperor Long Fist Form One

I suggest you ask your instructor if he is familiar with the following names:

1)Han Qing-tang
2)Zhang Chang-gen
3)Li Mao-qing
4)Tang Ke-jie
5)Sun Mao-hui
6)Fu Jia-bin
7)Fu Song-nan
8)Sun Shao-tang
9)Gao Dao-sheng
10)Wu Shao-lin
11)Gao Fang-xian
12)Liu Yun-qiao

I hope that the above information will be of some assistance for you.

[This message has been edited by MIA (edited 08-11-2000).]

sean_stonehart
08-11-2000, 01:38 AM
Lien Wu Chang is a form I have. It means 5 Interconnect Palms. It's all willow hand strikes/side hand strikes with a few elbows here & there.

------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats.

-- H.L. Mencken

Iron_Monkey
08-11-2000, 09:55 AM
Wow. Thanks for all the info. Actually, Sifu has never said that it came from a Shandong Temple or whether it was shaolin at all. I got that info from other students, so....Interesting. What are those names supposed to mean? I will ask as soon as I get back into class (which will be soon, hopefully). How do you know so much? I am impressed. Thanks again...

---------------------------------------------
In all situations
be aware, be mindful, and be
indomitable.
Wandering aimlessly invites attack.
But if one is attacked,
retreat three times
before retaliating.