PDA

View Full Version : PRAYING MANTIS

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-03-2000, 06:55 PM
I RECENTLY BEGAN STUDY OF PRAYING MANTIS.
WHAT GENERAL ADVICE IS AVAILABLE ON BASICS.
LUKE

Taijimantis
08-04-2000, 02:26 AM
Practice.

KeyEssence
08-05-2000, 09:13 AM
and more practice..............

Very Ignorant Mantis
08-05-2000, 11:38 AM
Remember to practice often. Better to practice 2 hours a day everyday than 5 hours a day twice a week. And practice outside of class is mandatory, not extra credit.

Humbly / IM

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mantis108
08-05-2000, 11:01 PM
Hi J.L. Blackstone,

1) Balance: no substantial strikes can come without good balance.

2) Footwork: Very important to Mantis. JoSi Wong Long COMPLETE the Mantis style with primate's footwook. Meditate on that, don't just listen to it like a Mantis lore. It is essential!

3) Breathing: Remember to breath. It rounds and give subtlty to your techniques. Most important if you are not breathing you are dead!

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-06-2000, 05:54 PM
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION .I NOTICE SOME
WEBSITES GIVE PHOTOS OF BASIC WING CHUN
MOVEMENTS. WHERE CAN I FIND SAME FOR PRAYING MANTIS. I THINK SOUTHERN MANTIS IS FOCUSED ON UPPER BODY AND NORTHERN ON FOOTWORK.?ALSO SPRINGY LEG EXERCISES.THANKS. LUCK LUKE

08-08-2000, 01:06 AM
I got some advice for you....take you cap locks off. geez
and challenge your teacher....hee hee
just kidding

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-13-2000, 06:04 PM
YOU CAN CHALLENGE AND DEFEAT TEACHER BUT
THE CORRECT PROCEDURE IS WHEN THE TEACHER AND STUDENT REACH THE AWARENESS OF THAT STAGE
THEY SEPERATE AND THE STUDENT PRACTICES HIS OWN STYLE GOING BACK TO THE TEACHER OCCASIONALLY FOR MORE TEACHINGS. THE TEACHER HAVING AGREED THAT SPARRING IS A BAD HABIT
AND THAT IT IS NOW REAL THAT ONE SHOULD FIGHT OR ESCAPE A FIGHT. THERE ARE NO CHOICES
ALL THE BEST LUKE.

bamboo_ leaf
08-14-2000, 06:17 AM
Please learn about the caps lock, while your learning about PM.

Do a serch on the web. you should find some real good info and sites.

good luck in your training.

------------------
enjoy life

bamboo leaf

Paul Skrypichayko
08-14-2000, 06:23 AM
Maybe he doesnt know that the "caps lock" key on the keyboard is what causes you to type all in capital letters.

I dont have a problem with all capitals, but it's poor netiquette. Many people think you're shouting when you type in capital letters.

Gen
08-14-2000, 07:54 AM
LOL!

I thought you were all referring to knee 'caps'. Anyway, it does look anoying seeing someone type in all uppercase letters.

mantis boxer
08-14-2000, 01:54 PM
Who do you train praying mantis under , may i ask? What style of mantis?

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-14-2000, 05:36 PM
I TYPE IN LARGE LETTERS FOR THE SAME REASON
I DO KUNG FU FOR ECONOMY OF MOVEMENT. ALSO
MY GRAMMAR IS NOT GOOD ON THIS POINT.I DONT TRAIN UNDER ANYONE. A SKILLFUL STUDENT IN LOCAL PARK OCCASIONALLY GIVES ME A FEW INSIGHTS WHILE HE BREAKS IN TRAINING.I DONT
LIKE DOJOS AND ITS THE STUDENT WHO ACCEPTS THE TEACHER.NOT THE TEACHER WHO ACCEPTS THE STUDENT. PEACE

bamboo_ leaf
08-14-2000, 05:48 PM
first thought: good luck
secound thought: learn to accept yourself
third thought: stick to selling things

------------------
enjoy life

bamboo leaf

08-15-2000, 12:27 AM
? http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/confused.gif ?
is this a puzzle

word
08-15-2000, 02:28 AM
Blackstone,

Without a knowledgable sifu to guide you the way, you will never learn traditional kung fu. Your friend in the park that gives you occasional tips isn't doing you any good. You're not training traditional praying mantis. You don't belive in DOJOS? Where are you from? Maybe I can find a good sifu near you. I agree that the student chooses the sifu but the sifu also looks for the right student. If the sifu doesnt' like you, he will hold back on teaching the true essence of kung fu. Many of the traditional close door sifus actually do CHOOSE their students. They do that to weed out the bad students and to save time. Blackstone, please, where are you from?