PDA

View Full Version : Arizona threatens to cut power in L.A.

1bad65
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
This one is a gem! You gotta love it when liberals open their mouths before thinking. Note to LA; when you are dependent on someone, don't **** them off.

"A member of Arizona's top government utilities agency threw down the gauntlet in a letter to Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, threatening to cut off the city's power supply as retribution for the city's boycott of Arizona.

If Los Angeles wants to boycott Arizona, it had better get used to reading by candlelight.

That's the message from a member of Arizona's top government utilities agency, who threw down the gauntlet Tuesday in a letter to Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa by threatening to cut off the city's power supply as retribution.

Gary Pierce, a commissioner on the Arizona Corporation Commission, wrote the letter in response to the Los Angeles City Council's decision last week to boycott the Grand Canyon State -- in protest of its immigration law -- by suspending official travel there and ending future contracts with state businesses.

Noting that a quarter of Los Angeles' electricity comes from Arizona power plants, Pierce threatened to pull the plug if the City Council does not reconsider. He also ridiculed Villaraigosa for saying that the point of the boycott was to "send a message" by severing the "resources and ties" they share.

"I received your message; please receive mine. As a statewide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona's electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the 'resources and ties' we share with the city of Los Angeles," Pierce wrote.

"If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation."

Appearing to tap into local frustration in Arizona over the raft of boycotts and threatened boycotts from cities across the country, including Los Angeles, Pierce warned that Arizona companies are willing and ready to fight boycott with boycott.

"I am confident that Arizona's utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands," Pierce wrote. "If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona's economy."

Arizona has some serious leverage over Los Angeles, as well as the rest of California. The state and city get electricity from a nuclear power plant outside Phoenix, as well as from coal-fired power plants in northern Arizona and two giant hydroelectric power generators along the Colorado River.

Despite that, the Los Angeles City Council voted overwhelmingly last week to ban future business with Arizona -- a decision that could cost Arizona millions of dollars in lost contracts.

Los Angeles officials were furious with the Arizona immigration law passed last month and joined local officials in cities across the country in pushing boycotts to register their dismay. Critics say the law will lead to racial profiling and civil rights abuses.

Arizona officials have defended the law, saying the state needed to take its illegal immigration problem into its own hands.

The law requires local law enforcement to try to verify the immigration status of anyone they have contact with whom they suspect of being an illegal immigrant. It empowers them to turn over verified illegal immigrants to federal custody. The legislation explicitly prohibits screening people based solely on race or national origin."

Source:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/19/arizona-official-threatens-cut-los-angeles-power-payback-boycott/

David Jamieson
05-19-2010, 10:53 AM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/aztecpoet/statue-of-liberty-ny.jpg

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
' With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Drake
05-19-2010, 11:13 AM
That is stupid. Beyond stupid.

That will never happen, regardless of what you might think. Really... this isn't even feasible.

Lucas
05-19-2010, 11:21 AM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/aztecpoet/statue-of-liberty-ny.jpg

word

1bad65
05-19-2010, 12:04 PM
That is stupid. Beyond stupid.

That will never happen, regardless of what you might think. Really... this isn't even feasible.

Actually, it is feasible.

Arizona sells them power, and if LA truly wants to 'sever all ties' with Arizona, Arizona can decline to sell them power. It's simply the idiots in LA getting exactly what they themselves asked for. Poetic justice.

1bad65
05-19-2010, 12:05 PM
And again, for those too stupid to comprehend it: I have no problem with legal immigration, I have a problem with illegal immigration.

Lucas
05-19-2010, 12:06 PM
well did arizona think about how much they make off selling that to LA? they stand not to only lose from the boycot millions, but also from not selling LA power. throw up some more wind turbines cali.

Lucas
05-19-2010, 12:11 PM
is it impossible for LA to work around that? can they buy power from elsewhere, or re distribute their own in a different manner?

anyone think arizona is bluffing?

David Jamieson
05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." - Anatole France

Is this the kind of legal immigration we're talking about here?

David Jamieson
05-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Alternately, if there weren't so many Americans willing to hire people who are here illegally, then there simply wouldn't be many illegal people here.

It is the corruption of capitalism that is the cause of the problem and the root of it.

Go after those people who employ these people and furthermore likely abuse them as well.

no job availability = no flood of immigrants looking for illegal work. It is illegal work. NO person anywhere is illegal.

you cannot be illegal by virtue of being a human walking the face of the earth looking to eat and survive like anyone else.

It really is that simple.

Screw the fascists and make the required changes to the law that will keep the American people from using illegal hiring practices.

1bad65
05-19-2010, 01:36 PM
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." - Anatole France

Is this the kind of legal immigration we're talking about here?

Do what?!?!

1bad65
05-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Alternately, if there weren't so many Americans willing to hire people who are here illegally, then there simply wouldn't be many illegal people here.

It is the corruption of capitalism that is the cause of the problem and the root of it.

Go after those people who employ these people and furthermore likely abuse them as well.

no job availability = no flood of immigrants looking for illegal work. It is illegal work. NO person anywhere is illegal.

you cannot be illegal by virtue of being a human walking the face of the earth looking to eat and survive like anyone else.

Screw the fascists and make the required changes to the law that will keep the American people from using illegal hiring practices.

The Arizona law does punish those who hire illegals. Perhaps you are another one who is criticizing the law without reading it. You know, people like Obama, Holder, and Neopoloitano.

And you are slamming capitalism again, I see. Did you ever stop to think that the illegals are coming here to work in jobs created by capitalism? ;)

David Jamieson
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
The Arizona law does punish those who hire illegals. Perhaps you are another one who is criticizing the law without reading it. You know, people like Obama, Holder, and Neopoloitano.

And you are slamming capitalism again, I see. Did you ever stop to think that the illegals are coming here to work in jobs created by capitalism? ;)

did you read the law? because the emphasis is on hostility towards illegal immigrants and not on those people who hire them in order to avoid paying actual decent wages and to avoid benefit plans, taxation programs etc.

you tell me where the emphasis is on hiring practices. And when the INS goes into a place, do they arrest the owner who willfully and of his or her own free accord undertook to hire them or do they merely chase down the people who were hired?

Give your head a shake, you make less and less sense every day with your diatribes and nonsense statements not to mention your ugly hypocrisy and your selfish point of view.

You really are not a good person at all in my view. I'm glad I don't know you because you are not someone I would call friend.

1bad65
05-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Once again you are adding words to my posts. :rolleyes:

I never used the word "emphasis". I said the law punishes employers who hire illegals, and it does.

1bad65
05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
You really are not a good person at all in my view. I'm glad I don't know you because you are not someone I would call friend.

Yeah, I must be a real radical and an ogre. People like me who think that they should actually get to keep the money they EARN are horrible people. Of course those who live off of others are just wonderful people. :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
05-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I must be a real radical and an ogre. People like me who think that they should actually get to keep the money they EARN are horrible people. Of course those who live off of others are just wonderful people. :rolleyes:

It's your veiled racism, baiting and general attitude of hatred that your project that turns me off. I don't give a crap about your positions on taxes. Who'd you live off of in your childhood? Do you hate children too because they live off of others. how about the weak, the sick, the frail, the mentally challenged.

do you even think for a second before you say the remarkable and ubiquitous stupid things you do utter?

i'm not sure you do, in fact, I'm pretty certain you don't put much thought into much beyond the length of your arm.

Reality_Check
05-19-2010, 04:01 PM
I said the law punishes employers who hire illegals, and it does.

Lightly, by a business license suspention (potentially) in the event of a 1st offense, if the employer does not file a quarterly report in a timely fashion, i.e. the suspension would not be due to the hiring of an illegal immigrant itself. And by a revokation in the event of a 2nd offense. There is plenty of wiggle room for an employer to claim entrapment by law enforcement agents as well as to claim that the hire of an illegal immigrant was in good faith. There are no fines or jail time penalties in the bill.

mawali
05-19-2010, 06:57 PM
I talked with some people and they state that California actually owns the AZ power facility(ies) based on power grid investment and capital expenditures!

1bad65
05-20-2010, 06:29 AM
It's your veiled racism, baiting and general attitude of hatred that your project that turns me off. I don't give a crap about your positions on taxes. Who'd you live off of in your childhood? Do you hate children too because they live off of others. how about the weak, the sick, the frail, the mentally challenged.

do you even think for a second before you say the remarkable and ubiquitous stupid things you do utter?

i'm not sure you do, in fact, I'm pretty certain you don't put much thought into much beyond the length of your arm.

It's obvious whose losing the debate. Once you play the race card, you know you have no legitimate arguments left.

As for kids living off their parents, stop being ludicrous. Of course they do, and I have no problems with that. That's how human beings raise their offspring, so stop being ridiculous. I have a problem when the parents have to take from others (including others who are raising their kids without taking from others) to raise their kids.

I am not averse to taking care of the sick and the disabled. That's being a human being. I have a problem with taking care of able-bodied people who either refuse to work and/or have made bad decisions and cannot take care of their responsibilities.

No, I really don't put much though into my posts. Actually, I don't put any thought into them. I just cut-and-paste from FoxNews, Ann Coulter, and Rush Limbaugh. :rolleyes:

1bad65
05-20-2010, 06:33 AM
Lightly, by a business license suspention (potentially) in the event of a 1st offense, if the employer does not file a quarterly report in a timely fashion, i.e. the suspension would not be due to the hiring of an illegal immigrant itself. And by a revokation in the event of a 2nd offense. There is plenty of wiggle room for an employer to claim entrapment by law enforcement agents as well as to claim that the hire of an illegal immigrant was in good faith. There are no fines or jail time penalties in the bill.

Please show us that.

Here is a copy of the bill:
http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/sb1070s.pdf

Be sure to show us this "wiggle room" you claim the bill has in it. I'm betting you won't even find the word "entrapment" in the bill.

Reality_Check
05-20-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm betting you won't even find the word "entrapment" in the bill.

Sure, I'll take that bet.

K. IT IS AN AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE TO A VIOLATION OF SUBSECTION A OF THIS SECTION THAT THE EMPLOYER WAS ENTRAPPED. TO CLAIM ENTRAPMENT, THE EMPLOYER MUST ADMIT BY THE EMPLOYER'S TESTIMONY OR OTHER EVIDENCE THE SUBSTANTIAL ELEMENTS OF THE VIOLATION. AN EMPLOYER WHO ASSERTS AN ENTRAPMENT DEFENSE HAS THE BURDEN OF PROVING THE FOLLOWING BY CLEAR AND CONVINCING EVIDENCE:

1. THE IDEA OF COMMITTING THE VIOLATION STARTED WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT
OFFICERS OR THEIR AGENTS RATHER THAN WITH THE EMPLOYER.

2. THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS OR THEIR AGENTS URGED AND INDUCED THE
EMPLOYER TO COMMIT THE VIOLATION.

3. THE EMPLOYER WAS NOT PREDISPOSED TO COMMIT THE VIOLATION BEFORE THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS OR THEIR AGENTS URGED AND INDUCED THE EMPLOYER TO COMMIT THE VIOLATION.

J. For the purposes of this section, an employer that establishes that it has complied in good faith with the requirements of 8 United States Code section 1324a(b) establishes an affirmative defense that the employer did not intentionally employ an unauthorized alien. An employer is considered to have complied with the requirements of 8 United States Code section 1324a(b), notwithstanding an isolated, sporadic or accidental technical or procedural failure to meet the requirements, if there is a good faith attempt to comply with the requirements.

Lucas
05-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Sure, I'll take that bet.

lol

KC Elbows
05-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah, but can you find the words 'opportunistic electioneering tactic' and 'flagrant voter manipulation' in there?

Oh wait, that goes without saying.

David Jamieson
05-21-2010, 06:23 AM
*snipped drivel*

No, I really don't put much though into my posts. Actually, I don't put any thought into them. I just cut-and-paste from FoxNews, Ann Coulter, and Rush Limbaugh. :rolleyes:

yes, we know this. As for your other comments, I can only tell you this. There is no debate, there is you shouting nonsense and people correcting you, followed by you denying the corrections and continue to spew your bile.

1bad65
05-21-2010, 06:27 AM
You need to read this part of the bill:

"AN EMPLOYER WHO ASSERTS AN ENTRAPMENT DEFENSE HAS THE BURDEN OF PROVING THE FOLLOWING BY CLEAR AND CONVINCING EVIDENCE:"

So the employers have the burden of proof when claiming entrapment.

And one more thing, thank you for proving MY point. I said there were penalties against employers in the bill, and I was 100% correct.

1bad65
05-21-2010, 06:29 AM
yes, we know this. As for your other comments, I can only tell you this. There is no debate, there is you shouting nonsense and people correcting you, followed by you denying the corrections and continue to spew your bile.

You go ahead and tell yourself that. :rolleyes:

Well, the no debate part is correct at those times where you call me a racist instead of engaging in debate.

Reality_Check
05-21-2010, 08:02 AM
You need to read this part of the bill:

"AN EMPLOYER WHO ASSERTS AN ENTRAPMENT DEFENSE HAS THE BURDEN OF PROVING THE FOLLOWING BY CLEAR AND CONVINCING EVIDENCE:"

So the employers have the burden of proof when claiming entrapment.

And one more thing, thank you for proving MY point. I said there were penalties against employers in the bill, and I was 100% correct.

That's generally the case with any entrapment defense. In addition, it would seem to be self-evident that one's defense would need to be clear and convincing. Otherwise, it wouldn't be much of a defense.

I never said you were wrong about there being penalties. I was adding needed context.

Perhaps you should read the bill so that you don't make foolish bets about words like "entrapment" being part of the text of the bill.

David Jamieson
05-21-2010, 08:37 AM
That's generally the case with any entrapment defense. In addition, it would seem to be self-evident that one's defense would need to be clear and convincing. Otherwise, it wouldn't be much of a defense.

I never said you were wrong about there being penalties. I was adding needed context.

Perhaps you should read the bill so that you don't make foolish bets about words like "entrapment" being part of the text of the bill.

He's betting on others not reading the bill either in order to falsely push his own agenda of course. This is 1bads MO.

1bad seems to work from a point of emotionalism. Virtually every post he has made is about american politics. So, if he claims he has no agenda, he's full of it. His agenda is to use kfm as his own platform for wielding a message of right wing diatribe, intolerance towards fellow humans and a totalitarian viewpoint in regards to his world that he lives in.

he's like the us politics version of hardwork108. Just a belligerent dummy shouting and shouting and shouting without ever putting any thought into it whatsoever and being even less gracious than possible when corrected or demonstrated to be out of touch with the reality of the situation.

meh, every barrel has one...

MasterKiller
05-21-2010, 09:32 AM
http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/geronimo.gif

1bad65
05-21-2010, 10:22 AM

You should have wagered something then. ;) I'm a man of my word, I always pay up.

1bad65
05-21-2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/geronimo.gif

WTF?!?! That's insane! Is it real though?

1bad65
05-21-2010, 10:35 AM
He's betting on others not reading the bill either in order to falsely push his own agenda of course. This is 1bads MO.

No, I figured it didn't say it. I was wrong. It happens, and when it does, I admit it.

If I didn't want anyone to read it, why the hell would I post the link?

1bad seems to work from a point of emotionalism. Virtually every post he has made is about american politics. So, if he claims he has no agenda, he's full of it. His agenda is to use kfm as his own platform for wielding a message of right wing diatribe, intolerance towards fellow humans and a totalitarian viewpoint in regards to his world that he lives in.

Where did I claim I had no agenda?

How can you say I'm intolerant when I want everyone to have the same rights? I don't want any Americans denied rights (except for convicted criminals of course).

And how in the world can you call a guy who calls for small Government a totalitarian? Do you even know what that word means? :rolleyes:

he's like the us politics version of hardwork108. Just a belligerent dummy shouting and shouting and shouting without ever putting any thought into it whatsoever and being even less gracious than possible when corrected or demonstrated to be out of touch with the reality of the situation.

Yeah, I'd be a real thoughtful and intelligent individual if I just kept calling others racists.

How am I out of touch with reality? I've said unemployment went up under Obama. That's reality. I've said we have record debt under Obama. That's reality. I said Obamacare would cost alot more than Obama said it would. That's reality.

You may hate/despise/curse me, I could care less. But I've made alot of claims, and they are based in reality, no matter what you (or others) think of me.

Kansuke
05-24-2010, 06:09 AM

NO person anywhere is illegal.

Screw the fascists

:rolleyes:

The North American Hippy isn't an extinct species after all...

..unfortunately

...yikes... :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
05-25-2010, 01:20 PM
:rolleyes:

The North American Hippy isn't an extinct species after all...

..unfortunately

...yikes... :rolleyes:

troll! Cool! I knew you were in fairy tales...oh wait, you are a fairy tale.
YOu must be one of those horribly obese and stupid tea party idiots aren't you. lol

Kansuke
05-25-2010, 02:54 PM
troll! Cool! I knew you were in fairy tales...oh wait, you are a fairy tale.
YOu must be one of those horribly obese and stupid tea party idiots aren't you. lol

Go roll another joint and pretend your hippy nonsense is relevant to anything, Cheech. You're even more stupid than last time I checked in here. The drugs are really taking their toll, Cheech.

David Jamieson
05-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Go roll another joint and pretend your hippy nonsense is relevant to anything, Cheech. You're even more stupid than last time I checked in here. The drugs are really taking their toll, Cheech.

Tubbo blurts again! I win! This tool is getting hard trolled and he likes it!
lol, Mr.T pities you fatty.

MasterKiller
05-26-2010, 09:36 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/9vjoz6.gif