PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar Schools in Toronto???

drnilescrane
05-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Hi,

Are there any Hung Gar schools in Toronto?

I've checked out the places in this thread:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-33455.html

..But it seems as if the Golden Tiger School of Kung Fu site (http://www.goldentigerschoolofkungfu.com/index1.html) doesn't work and i visited the Jing Mo club at 84 Augusta in Chinatown/Kensington market but it was closed, the downstairs looked kinda deserted and dusty and upstairs seemed to be under renovation, the wooden framework inside suggested they were attempting to build an office in there.

Ideally i was looking for Southern Mantis however forum after forum of searching and posting the question suggested that there isnt a single school in the whole of Canada so the next style i wanted to study was Hung Gar but that seems equally as elusive to track down.

Anybody out there have any info, even an annonymous lead to a closed door school would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks again to anyone who can shed any light on this.

sanjuro_ronin
05-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Jing Mo would be the one I would have recommended.
It's been ages since I have been out of that community in Toronto.
My Current Hung Kuen Sifu and SPM sifu are in Kitchener and I go there once a month at least, but they are both retired and only have private students...

Does it have to be Hung Gar?

PM
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
try to ask at www.hungkyun.com forum as well, mostly Hung Ga guys there

drnilescrane
05-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Jing Mo would be the one I would have recommended.
It's been ages since I have been out of that community in Toronto.
My Current Hung Kuen Sifu and SPM sifu are in Kitchener and I go there once a month at least, but they are both retired and only have private students...

Does it have to be Hung Gar?

Well like i say i would've loved SPM but i also learnt aspects of Hung Kuen and i really liked it. I know of a Pak Mei school in Scarborough. I'm looking for a Hard style, preferably Southern, i like the short sharp movements.

sanjuro_ronin
05-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Well like i say i would've loved SPM but i also learnt aspects of Hung Kuen and i really liked it. I know of a Pak Mei school in Scarborough. I'm looking for a Hard style, preferably Southern, i like the short sharp movements.

I know of which Pak Mei school you speak off...I wish I could recommend it..but I know two guys that go/went there and even attended a private class once and, well...it wasn't my cup of tea.
Hung Kuen is THE system to develop a core in IF you want to go into SPM.
They compliment themselves quite nicely, as does HK and Dragon.
Perhaps the Pak Mei school has changed over the years...

TaichiMantis
05-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Master Lee Chi Wai's website (http://www.chungwahkungfu.com/public_html/faq.php) looks pretty good. He has schools in Mississauga and Scarborough. After going through the site, it seems he comes more from a southern background, but presents chinese martial arts with more of a modern mindset of east and west. I like that he is skilled on on the healing arts side of things also. You may want to at least contact them or check it out.;)

David Jamieson
05-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Lee chi wai tends to stick to teaching modern shaolin curriculum these days. He's not a Hung Gar guy.

Hung fist is just not a common offering in and around Toronto. It's here, but there is no big Hung Gar school.

Many people automatically think about LSW Hung Gar when they think about it and it certainly is well represneted by it's practicioners and teachers.

But Hung Kuen (in all it's iterations) and Shaolin Tiger/Crane styles exist and are independent from LSW schools.

For instance, at the KMT school where Sifu James Lore and his student Glen Doyle used to be. They did Hung Kuen, but it was denoted as "old style". It was not tied to the modern lineages such as the Chiu family and Lam family who enjoy many students and propagate the Hung Gar of Lam Sai Wing. Teachers of this style in completeness are not in Toronto.

However, Hung Kuen and the foundations of southern shaolin kungfu are available in abundance all over.

Dig deeper and definitely go beyond the superficial and you'll find things that were there all along. :)