PDA

View Full Version : Question for Terence

Frantic Planet
05-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Terence,

I think you make a lot of valid points concerning WC and fighting that every WC person should at least consider and explore.

I know you don't teach Wing Chun per se, but if you did, what are the techniques, drills and forms etc. you would discard from the curriculum, and what would you leave in?

t_niehoff
05-24-2010, 06:27 AM
Let's say that you wanted to teach a ground-n-pound method of fighting to someone. So, you would start off by showing them the basic GNP strategy -- get in and take him down, get and maintain a superior position on the ground, and begin delivering your weapons. Then, you'd take that basic strategic framework and begin teaching your trainee the skills they would need to do that, in the same context, exactly as they will need to use them (so you learn-practice-do the same exact things in a 1 to 1 to 1 correspondence) =. Then, you'd have them practice doing it -- practice doing GNP -- to develop their skill at that game. And, over time, you would perhaps expand upon that basic framework (both in terms of strategy and skills).

I'd teach that way as opposed to the classical way: teach the faat mun (basic strategic approach), and various sets/forms that correspond to the skills you need at each strategic step -- a form containing the skills for getting in and taking him down, a form containing the skills for getting and maintaining a superior position, a form containing the skills for delivering your weapons), and then practice various unrealistic (not performed under fighting conditions, and not in a fighting context) drills to teach and practice those things.

Frantic Planet
05-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks for your post. It seems like it would be difficult to teach Wing Chun as you suggest with there being such a detailed emphasis on structure and position and angles etc... within most WC. Is this how Alan Orr teaches?

t_niehoff
05-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for your post. It seems like it would be difficult to teach Wing Chun as you suggest with there being such a detailed emphasis on structure and position and angles etc... within most WC.

Not difficult at all -- it's much more difficult to teach it the classical way.

Wrestling has a similar emphasis on structure, position, angle, etc. (as any art that emphasizes control needs to have).

Is this how Alan Orr teaches?

I think -- but I could be wrong -- Alan retains more of the classical curriculum than I do (I'm "extreme" as Robert keeps telling me!). But his emphasis is functionality.

Frantic Planet
05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Not difficult at all -- it's much more difficult to teach it the classical way.

Wrestling has a similar emphasis on structure, position, angle, etc. (as any art that emphasizes control needs to have

Interesting... Thanks