PDA

View Full Version : Just thought I'd share.

sihing
05-27-2010, 03:27 PM
There was a recent seminar event in the WSL lineage, some leading instructors in the line got together to share some information in the UK. Here's a review from one of the participants:

http://nextlevelwingchun.blogspot.com/2010/05/wslvt-international-multi-seminar.html

Enjoy,

James

Ultimatewingchun
05-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I actually had lunch with Ernie Barrios and some other guys he trains right here in NYC's Little Italy just a few days before this event - and he told me all about the upcoming seminar in England.

I read the synopsis on the link you posted and it looks like the seminar covered lots of good stuff.

I hope they made a video?!

I'm sure it would be worth seeing...

k gledhill
05-27-2010, 04:39 PM
My thoughts...video ?

LSWCTN1
05-28-2010, 05:25 AM
i was there...

there was no video, and the idea was that things could be misrepresented.

i thought that was fair enough

bear in mind that there was a lot of people that teach there, i think the total attendees was somewhere around 80?

wkmark
05-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Thank you for the information, I will see David Sihing in HK next month, so hopefully he can sum up the seminars with me. =)

Ultimatewingchun
05-28-2010, 10:03 AM
LSWCTN1:

Terrific that you were able to go. But I must say that I'm disappointed about the decision not to video the event.

With 80 people and various accomplished instructors from the WSL line - that would have made one helluva vid if you ask me.

Just a thought for future reference that you might want to run by some people if there will events like this in the future...

During all these years that William Cheung has been traveling the world over-and-over doing both public and semi-private seminars on TWC - which became events similar to yours in the sense that often there would be 70-80-90-100 people in attendance and a good 6-7-8 Gold Sash Instuctors...

ONE PERSON was designated (and only him) to film the event, and then a copy of the event would be sent to only the instructors.

And little-by-little through the years they would be authorized by William Cheung to either let others have copies and/or actually (as in recent years) put snippets of the events on youtube.

In this manner valuable information and knowledge would not be lost. And I can't tell you how many times through all these years (since 1983) that I've watched and re-watched various vids in order to further my skill and the skill levels of my students.

sanjuro_ronin
05-28-2010, 11:50 AM
I guarantee you that, within months there will be discussion and disagreement in regards to things that were said and done there.
Simple because not everyone reads the events the same way.
Video would solve that problem.

Ultimatewingchun
05-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Good point.

sanjuro_ronin
05-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Imagine if we had videos that would fix most of the controversies gone around now, and not just in WC.
TCMA teachers really need to grasp the significance of the information age and how they can better serve future generations.

Ultimatewingchun
05-28-2010, 12:06 PM
I couldn't agree more.

LoneTiger108
05-28-2010, 12:10 PM
TCMA teachers really need to grasp the significance of the information age and how they can better serve future generations.

Videos are great, but sometimes they can also show things that were not intended. Especially when all Sifus/Elders present are obviously close, they may share stories and memories that they feel are just suitable for that day amd for the people present.

Its good to see WSL Elders getting together in the UK.

sanjuro_ronin
05-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Videos are great, but sometimes they can also show things that were not intended. Especially when all Sifus/Elders present are obviously close, they may share stories and memories that they feel are just suitable for that day amd for the people present.

Its good to see WSL Elders getting together in the UK.

Those are the very things that get distorted Bro.

LSWCTN1
06-01-2010, 05:31 AM
LSWCTN1:

Terrific that you were able to go. But I must say that I'm disappointed about the decision not to video the event.

With 80 people and various accomplished instructors from the WSL line - that would have made one helluva vid if you ask me.

Just a thought for future reference that you might want to run by some people if there will events like this in the future...

During all these years that William Cheung has been traveling the world over-and-over doing both public and semi-private seminars on TWC - which became events similar to yours in the sense that often there would be 70-80-90-100 people in attendance and a good 6-7-8 Gold Sash Instuctors...

ONE PERSON was designated (and only him) to film the event, and then a copy of the event would be sent to only the instructors.

And little-by-little through the years they would be authorized by William Cheung to either let others have copies and/or actually (as in recent years) put snippets of the events on youtube.

In this manner valuable information and knowledge would not be lost. And I can't tell you how many times through all these years (since 1983) that I've watched and re-watched various vids in order to further my skill and the skill levels of my students.

i have a feeling that it is now going to be n annual thing.

i understand the concerns actually, but i understand the other side too.

one thing that was mentioned was that this was the first seminar seen that someones ego did not get in the way and cause ruptures, maybe that had something to do with it? i dont know...