PDA

View Full Version : OMG Has this forum died!!!

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-28-2010, 07:08 PM
For as long as i can remember, this was the busiest martial arts forum I knew of.

A post made one minute could be off the front page with in the hour or faster.

Now I look and the front page has barely moved in 3 days?

What happened here?

Shaolin
05-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Everyone's on sherdog.

Yao Sing
05-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Got me, I'm recently returned from a long absence.

iron_leg_dave
05-28-2010, 08:58 PM
For as long as i can remember, this was the busiest martial arts forum I knew of.

A post made one minute could be off the front page with in the hour or faster.

Now I look and the front page has barely moved in 3 days?

What happened here?

Same. I switched from Cyberkwoon under a different name years... maybe nearly a decade ago?

I opened this account more recently, but things have drastically dropped since then even.

I mostly lurk.

I remember a thread, where someone else brought this up, prob a year and a half ago, and a bunch of people replied that everything relevant had been discussed.

BS obviously.

I'd say the regs only come on to flame newbs, and the newbs subsequently flee, tailtucked.

There is little discussion otherwise.

YouKnowWho
05-28-2010, 10:03 PM
What happened here?
9 out of 20 threads are either WC or MMA threads. In WC thread, if you agree with WC principles, none WC guys will argue with you. If you don't, WC guys will argue with you. In MMA thread, if you are a CMA guy and if you want to express your opinion, you will have to defend TCMA all by yourself as if you have nothing better to do.

If you know that you will get into argument, why do you still want to say anything?

David Jamieson
05-28-2010, 10:30 PM
It's not dead, it's pretty active.

The off topic is the hot new troll palace and this forum is slowly returning to normal with relevant threads at times and some good discussions here and there.

We actually thought you had died, or at least forgotten your passwod again. :)

monkeyfoot
05-29-2010, 01:19 AM
I agree its dying. There are far too many OT posts. Even members who I thought were genuine posters now start sidetracking threads with BS.

ah well.

uki
05-29-2010, 03:47 AM
it's not dying, it is simply in metamorphic process... as in all things there is an ebb and flow to the tide of energy - everything is all energy of course... listening to and discerning the cycles and phases becomes the great game to keep our spirits active. :)

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-29-2010, 05:57 AM

The off topic is the hot new troll palace and this forum is slowly returning to normal with relevant threads at times and some good discussions here and there.

Reply]
The off topic section is really slow too though.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-29-2010, 05:59 AM
I agree its dying. There are far too many OT posts. Even members who I thought were genuine posters now start sidetracking threads with BS.

ah well.

Reply]
This place has allways been full of off topic posts though.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-29-2010, 06:03 AM

Reply]
I just checked, the off topic forum is Soooo busy, that it still has posts from 5/13/10 on the front page!!!

In the old days, we would be lucky if a forum had a topic from 13 minutes ago on the first page. Conversations from the same hour could be 3 pages deep back then. Now we go weeks and weeks?

Yup, this place died.

My Guess is Ross killed it.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-29-2010, 06:10 AM
9 out of 20 threads are either WC or MMA threads. In WC thread, if you agree with WC principles, none WC guys will argue with you. If you don't, WC guys will argue with you. In MMA thread, if you are a CMA guy and if you want to express your opinion, you will have to defend TCMA all by yourself as if you have nothing better to do.

If you know that you will get into argument, why do you still want to say anything?

Reply]
Actually, this, and personal attacks by certain people are why i stopped following for a long time.

I actually stumbled into a forum for paranoid, paramilitary survivalist wack'os that I actually can enjoy civil conversations on. THAT forum replaced this one for me due to the more grown up atmosphere....and they are all stock piling guns, ammo MRE's and building remote fortresses in the wilderness to survive the Arrmmogedean and fight the final battles of the apocolypse.

SPJ
05-29-2010, 06:58 AM
I think that there are more and more social networks on the net.

a lot of people are chatting on facebook and such.

and networking, too.

but specialty forums or forums of all kinds are still here to stay.

---

Kansuke
05-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Reply]
This place has allways been full of off topic posts though.

And YOU still can't reply without typing in "Reply]" you ridiculous ****?

mickey
05-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Greetings,

I have noticed that this forum dies during the times of college midterms and finals; counting summer/winter sessions, that is 4 to 10 times a year. Every word that I type, during those times, has an echo to it. What is amazing is that these guys do manage to come back.

mickey

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-29-2010, 12:40 PM
And YOU still can't reply without typing in "Reply]" you ridiculous ****?

Reply]

Actually, I can.post without it.
I don't use it on any other forum I visit except here because you guys make such a huge deal about it.

Kansuke
05-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Reply]

Actually, I can.post without it.
I don't use it on any other forum I visit except here because you guys make such a huge deal about it.

= you are a D-bag

Way to go, D-bag.

YouKnowWho
05-29-2010, 01:16 PM
civil conversations.

Some people believe that IMA is superior than EMA. Some people believe that MMA is superior than CMA. If you are a TCMA guy who does not believe in Qi, people will criticize your stuff is "low level" or they can choke you out. Your opinion will have little value in the "internal world" and the "ground game".

Sometime to the "internal" guys, you feel that you are not conservative enough. But at the same time to the MMA guys, you feel that you are not liberal enough. When "internal" guys attack you from the right, and MMA guys attack you from the left, you find out that you have no place to go but put your tail between your legs and run like hell.

lkfmdc
05-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Ross killed it.

Are you afraid I have the power to kill things over the internet without actually touching them? A cyber dim mak maybe? If so, you should be very afraid, very very very afraid

SoCo KungFu
05-29-2010, 02:14 PM
People are becoming fed up with the BS being fed by TCMA. It's losing popularity. New prospects are looking elsewhere. Those lost threads you mention where in most times the same few topics being asked by those now missing new prospects. It's only natural that in the drag that is afflicting the TCMA's that a forum dedicated to TCMA would also suffer.

iron_leg_dave
05-29-2010, 03:02 PM
People are becoming fed up with the BS being fed by TCMA. It's losing popularity. New prospects are looking elsewhere. Those lost threads you mention where in most times the same few topics being asked by those now missing new prospects. It's only natural that in the drag that is afflicting the TCMA's that a forum dedicated to TCMA would also suffer.

No matter how you disguise a diamond, even by covering it in $4!7, people will always value the diamond once it is discovered, because it's value is within it's innate properties.

Therefore, no matter how many retards bring "kung fu" in to the media limelight, or local MA spotlight, real gong fu will always be an amazing thing, a real diamond and something that the honest and hard-working person can eventually obtain.

The flaming should offer us a critical perspective, and we should be grateful.

MMA is real, and it is functional and it is high caliber. Our own kung fu should always be at least at that level of practicality and conditioning.

lkfmdc
05-29-2010, 04:41 PM
If you spend 3 to 10 years digging in a pile of ****, thinking you will find a diamond, only to find out you were just digging in a pile of ****, well, what do you think about that huh

SoCo KungFu
05-29-2010, 06:31 PM
If you spend 3 to 10 years digging in a pile of ****, thinking you will find a diamond, only to find out you were just digging in a pile of ****, well, what do you think about that huh

I think he should invest in handsoap

iron_leg_dave
05-29-2010, 06:35 PM

I spent 10 years, and I found a diamond, I'm just not sure how to polish it yet. I'm also not sure where you are coming from.

If you need inspiration, I'm not your man. I'm a simple person, that knows this one thing, that gong fu can be applied to many, many things fruitfully. It also has nothing to do with spirituality (wu shu, but lets not get lost in semantics), it is simply an examination of how we can generate physical force and apply that force to injure others or move our body through space. It is built on how those who came before us perceived the world, but it is open ended.

If boxing has good ideas, learning them and implementing them is part of Shaolin gong fu. The same goes for anything else.

What is important, is the "spirit" or the sense of it all. Practical and superior, that is Shaolin.

Yao Sing
05-29-2010, 08:48 PM
The forum's not dead, it's, it's resting. Remarkable forum. Beautiful plumage.

YouKnowWho
05-29-2010, 10:07 PM
The day you find out that most people are more interesting in boxing, MT, and BJJ than your TCMA opinion. The day you realize that you and those people may have generation gap. You are as stupid as trying to "use your hot face to touch someone's cold ass".

lkfmdc
05-30-2010, 06:33 AM
'Ello, I wish to register a complaint. 'Ello, Miss?

FORUM: What do you mean "miss"?

I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

FORUM: We're closin' for lunch.

Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this forum what I logged on to not half an hour ago.

FORUM; Oh yes, the, uh, ...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

FORUM: No, no, 'e's uh,...it's resting.

This forum is no more! It has ceased to be! it's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, rests in peace! kicked the bucket, et al

bawang
05-30-2010, 07:29 AM
:confused:guys
i ned help

hoe i can stop takdown wit wing chun???? is ther hidden teknique in chum kiu orr biu jee?? :confused::confused: shud i change my sstyle 2 choi lee foot i herd theyr deadly
also any1 kno how to defeet boxing? shud i use bong sao or lap sao??? thx

SPJ
05-30-2010, 08:03 AM
from ashes arose a firey pheonix.

from death or stillness, a life or movement is reborn.

to do kung fu,

is to figure our stillness vs movement or everything in between

from wu ji (in stillness), yin/yang (tai chi) is born (in movemement)

----

YouKnowWho
05-30-2010, 02:35 PM
hoe i can stop takdown wit wing chun?

This is how most discussion will end.

A: I need help in ...
B: You may try ... and ...
C: What make you think that you are qualified to give A any suggestion?
B: What make you think that you are qualified to ask me not to give A my suggestion?
C: You are %$&# and *%&# ...
B: If you dare to come ... I'll ...
C: :mad: :mad: :mad:
B: :mad: :mad: :mad:

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-30-2010, 05:29 PM
This is how most discussion will end.

A: I need help in ...
B: You may try ... and ...
C: What make you think that you are qualified to give A any suggestion?
B: What make you think that you are qualified to ask me not to give A my suggestion?
C: You are %$&# and *%&# ...
B: If you dare to come ... I'll ...
C: :mad: :mad: :mad:
B: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Reply]
THAT would be why i don't come here much anymore.

Kansuke
05-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Reply]
THAT would be why i don't come here much anymore.

REPLY}

Then GTFO already

EMPHASIS}

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Ok bye

Drake
05-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Maybe some of us got tired of talking about training and are actually out there doing it? :D

The internetz are bad for kung fu discipline.

uki
05-31-2010, 01:31 AM
The internetz are bad for kung fu discipline.not really... it's the same argument about how guns kill people and pencils mispelling words. :p

David Jamieson
05-31-2010, 06:14 AM
Maybe some of us got tired of talking about training and are actually out there doing it? :D

The internetz are bad for kung fu discipline.

lol, and that would be...?

Internet is just another thing. It doesn't interfere with my training schedule at all. It just wastes my time otherwise quite frequently, but it is also a boon in many respects including acquiring knowledge in regards to training and to kung fu in particular.

Granted, there are many trolls that you will encounter in these places. As is clearly demonstrated even in this thread.

But my discipline is not effected by using the internet or this forum. I've met some good guys whoa re a pleasure to train with through the internet. Guys I would've never had the pleasure of meeting and training with if not for this very thing that you would blame for taking your training time from you or something. :)

Maybe there is...No wait, I know for sure there is a crap load of misconception about what Kung Fu is for one thing and what training effectively is for another.
Not to mention all the various modalities of training and reasons for doing same.

Not everyone trains in esoteric martial arts to become the street fighter/cage fighter maniac some here would have you believe they are.

When I was boxing, most of the people at the club weren't there to box, they were there because it was their preferred fitness method.

At several kung fu clubs I've been to, the majority there is there for that fitness as well.

there will always be one guy or a small pocket who train for fighting and usually those people will find the training to suit them as they progress through their understanding of martial arts.

People on the extreme ends really aren't worth paying too much attention to, but they do have their points as well.

YouKnowWho
05-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Granted, there are many trolls that you will encounter in these places. As is clearly demonstrated even in this thread.

+1, Even if you have no intention to attack anybody, you will still get attack. When someone attacks you personally, there is nothing that you can do on internet no matter what style that you train. It's very sad indeed.

David Jamieson
05-31-2010, 07:59 AM
+1 :) It's very sad indeed.

Yes, but not a good reason to despair about it.
smack em if you want and move on.

keep posting relevant stuff and discussing in threads of interest whilst rejecting the trolls.

It's all in how YOU see things and has really very little to do with anyone else and their attitudes or opinions. I imagine that you would already "get" this and judging by your posts, I think you do.

But lets face it, there are a lot of people here who probably aren't clear on simple table manners and so, we are going to have to swim around those dudes too. :p

That's internet forums for ya! 98% coal 1% gold 1% diamonds

MightyB
06-01-2010, 06:52 AM
I think the creation of the separate OT forum is killing this forum. The fun of this board is the nutty characters who populate it. Nutjobs are all part of the KFM online experience.

David Jamieson
06-01-2010, 06:57 AM
I think the creation of the separate OT forum is killing this forum. The fun of this board is the nutty characters who populate it. Nutjobs are all part of the KFM online experience.

yeah, well I like having the OT forum because it keeps the nutjobs in nutjob corner for the most part.

there's nothing wrong with the forum otherwise. still gets' posted to daily, still has topical and relevant stuff and all the right wing diatribes and left wing retorts about american politics and conspiracy theories can stay in the taint section with only minor troll spillage now and then. :)

woot!

MasterKiller
06-01-2010, 07:19 AM
http://goodbyehorses.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/ugly-girl.jpg

taai gihk yahn
06-01-2010, 07:58 AM
http://goodbyehorses.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/ugly-girl.jpg

nice to see ur sister was visiting for the long weeked; I take it that it was her turn to get the tooth?

uki
06-01-2010, 09:54 AM
i wonder if she likes rocky road too?? :p

GeneChing
06-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm always amazed how often our forum will pop up on random web searches.

David Jamieson
06-01-2010, 10:04 AM

well there is a lot of reiteration of keywords and a lot of content.
the mere mention of kung fu in a search engine and you will get this place on page one most times.

GeneChing
06-01-2010, 10:22 AM
i love that. brings in traffic. that's what it's all about. ;)

David Jamieson
06-01-2010, 10:32 AM
i love that. brings in traffic. that's what it's all about. ;)

yep, trafficking! It's all about trafficking!

shoes (http://www.martialartsmart.com/shoes.html) of course.... :p

SPJ
06-01-2010, 07:08 PM
ahh the horror or how horrorific

someone really needs dental work or invisible braces

:eek:

KC Elbows
06-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Yes, the smaller amount of banter makes it far too difficult to find and read posts by the people who actually are discussing with content.

Plus, the opportunities are too few to see Kansuke mouthing off to strangers on the internet. I find this is where he really seems at his coolest. Mind you, while it is refreshing he has brought the liveliness he carries in cosplay to his role here at the forum, he'll always be a young Japanese girl wearing a bandolier to me.

Given that most of the serious trolls on here are AARP members, it's natural that it should be a bit quiet. They've got pinochle tournaments to attend at the home and all.

sanjuro_ronin
06-02-2010, 07:48 AM
AARP ??
What is that?

KC Elbows
06-02-2010, 07:50 AM
AARP ??
What is that?

Ask Knifefighter.

David Jamieson
06-02-2010, 07:54 AM
I believe it's the american association of retired people. lol

bawang
06-02-2010, 08:07 AM
i cosplay all the time
i am lvl 12 arcane mage

KC Elbows
06-02-2010, 08:12 AM
It's only natural to feel tired of our trolls as they reach their golden years. Telling kids how tough things were in the old days and arguing with crazy people gives them something to focus on, freeing the adults from the exhausting dramas associated with their dementia.

MasterKiller
06-02-2010, 08:14 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l1kbn4sezU1qaotl2.gif

TaichiMantis
06-02-2010, 12:02 PM

I found a lot in the archives on cck tcpm when I first started...:cool:

Lucas
06-02-2010, 01:11 PM
I dont post nearly as much as I used to. I come to read mainly now.

sanjuro_ronin
06-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I dont post nearly as much as I used to. I come to read mainly now.

http://codytaylor.org/images/motivation/ninja-pirate-motivational.jpg

Lucas
06-02-2010, 01:20 PM
hell ya! you know me too well from just a forum lol

SPJ
06-02-2010, 07:32 PM
all come to the forum with various reasons.

1. to kill some time out of extreme boredom from our mundane life, get away from the hustle and bustle

2. to be social, get to know people, or make himself known to others

3. post a Q in the hope of getting some A's.

4. to entertain or annoy others

5. to read and reply

--

I started out as reading mostly across many and many forums, ending up only posting here.

---

the march of 10,000 posts starts with 3 posts daily

---

YouKnowWho
06-02-2010, 08:43 PM
The only reason that I post here is to tell kids how tough things were in the old days.

MightyB
06-04-2010, 10:52 AM
4. to entertain or annoy others

---

That pretty much sums up my posts.

In reality- it's hard to have a serious conversation about kung fu. There's like a bazillion styles and everyone spells things differently. And then how much is there to discuss when you actually think about it?

uki
06-04-2010, 03:10 PM
That pretty much sums up my posts. that's a pretty low sum eh?? :p

In reality- it's hard to have a serious conversation about kung fu. define serious?? kung fu is in all we put our time and energy into - there's plenty to talk about if you believe you are investing wisely. :)

There's like a bazillion styles and everyone spells things differently.y3t ! c0ulD sp3ll all wacke and u wood stil un3rstnd whut i say... ?

And then how much is there to discuss when you actually think about it?enough to annoy someone. :D

Lucas
06-04-2010, 03:21 PM
I once shot a forum just to watch it die.

uki
06-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I once shot a forum just to watch it die.did it die well??

Lucas
06-04-2010, 03:58 PM
not really, it screamed, it cried, and it begged for mercy...

unfortunately retribution knows no mercy

{rawr}

uki
06-04-2010, 05:37 PM
unfortunately retribution knows no mercyi'd like to have some pity...

MightyB
06-07-2010, 06:05 AM
enough to annoy someone. :D

That's why I like your posts. Slightly deranged... just enough. And don't get me started on the herbalism discussions- definitely Eddie Bravo approved.

sanjuro_ronin
06-07-2010, 06:15 AM
The only reason that I post here is to tell kids how tough things were in the old days.

Thanks John, now you ruined it for the rest of us !!

Lucas
06-07-2010, 11:25 AM
i'd like to have some pity...

ive got tons of pity!!

yenhoi
06-10-2010, 05:28 AM
still all the same mnfers though....

:eek::eek::eek:

bodhitree
06-16-2010, 12:12 PM
OMG, when did RD learn to use the quote function, now that is the real question!!!