PDA

View Full Version : Fight Like an Animal article

ginosifu
05-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Just want make a shout out to all of my Kung Fu brothers. I have a article being published in the July Issue of Kung Fu Magazine. You can get some more info and a sneak peak at my site:
http://shaolininstitute.com/institute/index.shtml
you can alos go to www.kungfumagazine.com to get a look as well.

ginosifu

ps ..please support us and go out and get an issue!

mooyingmantis
05-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Gratz bro! Keep up the good work!

Richard

ginosifu
05-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks Richard

MasterKiller
06-01-2010, 07:16 AM
http://dailypicdump.com/data/images/2010/05/31/cb5006.jpg

ginosifu
06-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Just updated the site with some more pics !

Thanks Everyone for your support.

ginosifu

SanHeChuan
06-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Looks like mantis

Ok I saw your web site, and not to pick on you in particular but the picture application has a pet peeve of mine.

Is this a demonstration of application or of a drill?

If a drill never mind.

If application …

You bridge, grab his right, and then switch hands before attacking.
Why switch hands? Is that not a wasted movement?

If you were worried about the elbow collapsing, a step to your left would move you out of the way.

By switching hands and attacking straight in you are giving him the opportunity to block.

If you had hooked with your left his pak sau would not have been able to stop that attack.

If you were to use both hands on his right at wrist and elbow, you would have been better served to pluck, pulling him off balance before attacking.

If you were using it to pin his arms and/or disrupt his structure, then I could see it but that’s not what I see in the picture.

Or are these things you would do, but don’t for the sake of continuing the drill?

I don’t mean sound like a **** but could someone please explain to me why that is not wasted movement. :confused:

TenTigers
06-01-2010, 09:14 AM
often, you would phon-sau, or trading hands, depending on the energy given. If he gives you too much, you disolve and trade, to change the angle and continue striking.

taai gihk yahn
06-01-2010, 09:41 AM
often, you would phon-sau, or trading hands, depending on the energy given. If he gives you too much, you disolve and trade, to change the angle and continue striking.

apologist...
;)

but yeah, it could depend on the pivot point you establish with the right hand grab: if you were able to take him off-line to the right, getting him to overturn to his left, your left would strike; if he maintained a more central equilibrium and started to fold with the elbow around the pivot point of your grab, the left would manage the elbow while the right released his wrist and attacked;

GeneChing
06-01-2010, 03:46 PM
If you really want to fight like an animal, especially a monkey, it always starts with some fang baring. ;) Believe me, I've dealt with monkeys in the wild on several occasions. It's no fun. Monkeys will mess with your head. They are masters of the psyche-out game.

Congrats on the pub, Gino. You worked hard to get that piece in shape. That issue is hitting newsstands now. Here's the forum thread: JULY AUGUST 2010: The Karate Kid cover story (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57377)

ginosifu
06-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Looks like mantis

Ok I saw your web site, and not to pick on you in particular but the picture application has a pet peeve of mine.

Is this a demonstration of application or of a drill?

If a drill never mind.

If application …

You bridge, grab his right, and then switch hands before attacking.
Why switch hands? Is that not a wasted movement?

If you were worried about the elbow collapsing, a step to your left would move you out of the way.

By switching hands and attacking straight in you are giving him the opportunity to block.

If you had hooked with your left his pak sau would not have been able to stop that attack.

If you were to use both hands on his right at wrist and elbow, you would have been better served to pluck, pulling him off balance before attacking.

If you were using it to pin his arms and/or disrupt his structure, then I could see it but that’s not what I see in the picture.

Or are these things you would do, but don’t for the sake of continuing the drill?

I don’t mean sound like a **** but could someone please explain to me why that is not wasted movement. :confused:

SanHeChuan:
That is just a drill... All the drills teach basic concepts. Applications use all the concepts but Monkey is a bit different. Yes a hook punch would have blasted thru his pak sau but our system focus on Iron Palm and slapping.
Yes many things change according to what the opponant does. This drill leads into other drills and we do like to pull opponants arms across their bodies which makes it difficult to bring their other arm up to do anything.

The section at about 0:45 - 0:50 sums it all up;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcytMPZUT8Q

ginosifu

ps
thanks gene for letting me in!