PDA

View Full Version : Sakuraba loses to Ralek Gracie..Catch as catch can't. :D

monji112000
05-31-2010, 07:27 PM
http://videolog.uol.com.br/video.php?id=546298

The only thing great was the quick armbar attempt by sakuraba. I don't think Age had a major factor because honestly it was a grappling match. In my not so humble opinion it was a case of someone being out classed by a better grappler, and someone not having a good bottom game. The reality is Ralek is a great grappler, a really nice guy, and :D has redeemed his family name.

I really love the Royce Gracie style standup!

Catch as catch can't. :D

Dragonzbane76
06-01-2010, 05:14 AM
seemed sak. was looking his age. Movements were slow and seemed like he didn't have the gas in the tank.

sanjuro_ronin
06-01-2010, 05:49 AM
I don't think Age had a major factor because honestly it was a grappling match.

How old are you?

lkfmdc
06-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Let's see, a prime Sak had fantastic wrestling, a lighting fast shot to a single and a scramble from hell

This Sak fell down, lied on his back, couldn't "explode" et etc etc

And you think age had no part in it? :rolleyes:

Ultimatewingchun
06-01-2010, 06:24 AM
Sanjuro (Paul) and Dave Ross have hit the correct.

sanjuro_ronin
06-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Sak in his prime dominate the Gracies in their prime and he did it with style too, I loved that guy, he was so over the top !
LOL !

Ultimatewingchun
06-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Absolutely. The best wrestler/grappler to date in the whole mma movement so far. And when in his prime, he was a great all around fighter as well: awesome kicks, decent punching, incredible wrestler - and with the heart of a lion.

And one helluva gentleman besides.

David Jamieson
06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Age is a huge factor.

As I age, I can see and feel the losses in a very real way.
I don't expect any young guys to understand that one iota.
Too many movies of old monks jumping over trees has made the perception of kung fu all wrong. lol :p

don't expect much out of 45+year old fighters. guys that keep it going into the early forties are doing great and probably at the expense of everything else in their lives. Not to mention their brutal recovery times etc.

in short, out to pasture fighters still have lots of good info to pass on, provided that they haven't been beating into a state of retardation over the length of their career.

40yrs seems to be the limit with one or two outliers to that effect.

sanjuro_ronin
06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Add to the age factor, the mileage on the body, the wear and tear from years of full contact.

monji112000
06-01-2010, 10:49 AM
as I posted that I thought to myself I'm being a little naive.. but I stand with what I said. EVEN with age being a major factor I personally thought he should have with experience, and someone of his skill been able to at min get to a better position.

I thought Gracie was more than Nice to him with only minimally pounding his face in. I also love have it was only in the end that Gracie was even put into the guard.

I train with two guys his age that would have had a better bottom game. No brainier that he isn't a well round fighter.. but I love the clueless none competing person ..."
Absolutely. The best wrestler/grappler to date in the whole mma movement so far. And when in his prime, he was a great all around fighter as well: awesome kicks, decent punching, incredible wrestler - and with the heart of a lion.

And one helluva gentleman besides. "

Best grappler would be able to have a good defensive bottom game, and a good top game.
Age was a factor even a major factor.. but so was technique. I think he is a great grappler, but not what people keep thinking he is.

Sakuraba in his prime would never hand with todays Top level grapplers. Ralek is not even considered a top Grappler. :D People cling to an image.. much like people cling to a name.. a name like Gracie.

Sakuraba is limited , and his scope of skill is limited.. thats why he lost the way he did.. technically.
It was clearly a grappling match, with a few tough shots..

again I love the Royce Gracie style standup!.

I also love the amount of none grapplers who have an opinion. I'll say it again I love sakuraba.. but I see he for what he is.

monji112000
06-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Let's see, a prime Sak had fantastic wrestling, a lighting fast shot to a single and a scramble from hell

This Sak fell down, lied on his back, couldn't "explode" et etc etc

And you think age had no part in it? :rolleyes:

again your right I'm wrong, I just watched it again. Age is a major factor, but so is technique... a 100% 1 sided grappler doesn't equal the best grappler in MMA .. Sorry JMO opinion. I train with a guy same age, brown belt.. amazing TOP game, and a pretty **** good bottom game.. he just doesn't attack he sweeps, and escapes..

and Ralek just to point out Ralek is a very nice guy, The gracies of the past of not todays Gracies.. Top and bottom game, less of the EGO (they still think "Gracie" JJ is best though.. :D)

if you are trying to explode out of someone and thats you whole bad of tricks you have a problem. Don't get me started on being tired, and being athletically behind your opponent. You know me, and I have to always compete against health . people.

I win and I lose.. I cross train with sambo, judo, BJJ, and catch people.. I also compete at min twice a year (depending on my health). So trying to pretend that I have no clue what I'm talking about doesn't work on me. Yes I actively train with Judo and Sambo guys. I work at a Major University and train with the Judo and wrestling club/team. In fact:rolleyes: I was thrown over lunch today for an hour..

Its actually allot of fun training Judo. I love it because it has change my whole perspective in grappling as a whole.

Ultimatewingchun
06-01-2010, 11:12 AM
"Sakuraba in his prime would never hang with todays Top level grapplers." (monji)

***COMPLETE NONSENSE.

And as for his alleged non-bottom game, please...:rolleyes:

First of all, it was almost impossible to put him down on his back when he was in his prime; and when it did happen (rarely)...he always handled it like the expert that he was.

Just go back and watch his fights...and then watch his instructional as well.

The guy was awesome from every position.

sanjuro_ronin
06-01-2010, 12:35 PM
The problem with many competitive fighters that used their athletic ability to the max as Sak did is that, sometimes, when they get older, they forget they are no young anymore, LOL !

Remember the schooling that Royce got from Matt and then Matt from GSP.

Such is life kids.

goju
06-01-2010, 02:06 PM
How old are you?
all of his posts in here warrant that question lol

Ultimatewingchun
06-01-2010, 02:06 PM
So true. It was sad to watch what Matt Hughes did to Royce Gracie. I've been a huge fan of Sakuraba - but I refuse to watch any of his fights anymore. I'm afraid he'll not only lose badly - but he might even suffer a serious injury in the process.

He should hang it up and open the biggest and best mma school in all of Japan. Travel the world giving seminars, make more dvds, etc.

The guy is a legend.

sanjuro_ronin
06-02-2010, 06:22 AM
What is the old MA adage?
The experience of age must fear the energy of youth?

Frost
06-10-2010, 10:52 AM
What is the old MA adage?
The experience of age must fear the energy of youth?

better one is its not the age of the car its the millage on the clock thats the problem:)