PDA

View Full Version : Ab's

Johnny Hot Shot
10-29-2001, 10:34 PM
I know this belongs inthe Training and heath section but I know it will get more views here.

lately I have found some articles that say it is not good to work your abs daily but that you should treat them like any other muscle and give them a 24-48 hour rest between workouts.

What do you guy's think about this?

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

soy
10-29-2001, 10:51 PM
I already assumed that. I figured it out when I did try to train my abs every day. It kinda hurt and I was getting reduced performance. Then I gave 48 hour breaks, and my performance started increasing.

Johnny Hot Shot
10-29-2001, 11:19 PM
Ok now I'm finding that someone else is saying that you should train your abs everyday Here (http://bodybuilding.about.com/library/weekly/aa060499.htm?once=true&).

Jacko Jackson

Aramus
10-29-2001, 11:23 PM
Are you trying to strengthen your abs, be able to take more punishment, gain mobility, or are you trying to get that...6 pack?

I don't think it is a good idea to train your abs everyday. It is a muscle, a little different from what I've read, but everyday doesn't feel like a good idea.

I did it when I was younger and I didn't get any stronger faster...there was very little improvement.

Johnny Hot Shot
10-29-2001, 11:27 PM
My focus is to train my abs to take serious abuse from punches and kicks.

What do you think about Working them out one day and conditioning them the next?

Jacko Jackson

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-29-2001, 11:31 PM
that site looks like a bunch of crap to me.

where's my beer?

Mr. Nemo
10-29-2001, 11:35 PM
"lately I have found some articles that say it is not good to work your abs daily but that you should treat them like any other muscle and give them a 24-48 hour rest between workouts."

I smell Pavel. Where did you see these articles?

Gunneddownatrocity is correct about the second site. Anything with "bodybuilding" in the title should be treated with skepticism.

If you're training your abs to take hits, the most common kind of training specifically for that is with the medicine ball.

Johnny Hot Shot
10-29-2001, 11:40 PM
Here's One (http://www.owensfitness.com/dodonts.htm) I've found a ton of Info pionting both ways, enough on either sides of the fence to confuse me.

I use a 15Lbs Medicine ball and pound the hell out of them.

Jacko Jackson

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-29-2001, 11:43 PM
my abs looked allot better last year when i was doing situps every day, but are much stronger now. i only do ab work 2 - 3 times per week now, but i'm not sure that the time intervals are what made the asthetic or strenght difference.

the main thing is that im currently eating to gain weight from lifting and it's built up a little fat around my lower abdomen. i still have the top four muscles showing pretty well, but there's a little meet covering the bottom.

i guess my point is that you can do them every day, but you may be wasting your time. i stopped getting sore after the first 3 days and my abs improved rather quickly from daily work. i have never went ballistic on them though either. 2 sets of leg raises and 2-3 sets of crunches worked fine for me and i had a pretty well defined 6 pack. i am still seeing significant gains in strenght just doing them a couple times per week though, and the loss in definition has been intentional to some extent.

perhaps the recovery time allows for more gains in strength while daily work will build more endurance. that's just a theory though.

my best advice to you is to search the workout thread and then post any other questions you have there. you may get more views here, but you will get more views (and more importantly more replys) from people who actually care and have valid info to offer there.

where's my beer?

Johnny Hot Shot
10-29-2001, 11:46 PM
Thanks dude. I owe ya a beer

Jacko Jackson