PDA

View Full Version : Chop Choy is the paul eng's version the same as the 7 star version

mantis7
08-10-2000, 10:24 AM
I just recently purchased Paul Eng's book series and I find them very informative but I was looking at his chop choy and found it a little diffrent than the chop choy I do.. I was hoping someone can clarify on how many versions of chop choy there is or if they can explain if there is a diffrent version out there....

Victor

mantis boxer
08-10-2000, 01:11 PM
Is Chop Choy a form? Eng only wrote 4 books right? Bong Bo, spear hand, plum blossom hand, steals the peach?

ShaolinMantis
08-10-2000, 10:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mantis7:
I just recently purchased Paul Eng's book series and I find them very informative but I was looking at his chop choy and found it a little diffrent than the chop choy I do.. I was hoping someone can clarify on how many versions of chop choy there is or if they can explain if there is a diffrent version out there....

Victor [/quote]

Eng Shifu's books ARE on the Seven Star Mantis Sets, not Tai Mantis. He says his elders in the Tai Mantis Federation have the 1st say on doing a book from the TCPM style. So his are just so far on Seven Star.

ShaolinMantis
08-10-2000, 10:31 PM
One other quick thing. Kam Yuen was one of Paul Eng's 7 Star teachers, and his sets look different from Eng Shifu's

loki
08-11-2000, 07:10 AM
Mantis Boxer , for clarification Chop Choy is Spear Hand/Stabbing Fist.

Peace

------------------
NO ROAD IS AS LONG OR FILLED WITH AS MANY OBSTACLES AS THE ONE TRAVELLED BY THE CHINESE BOXER. FEW ATTEMPT TO TAKE IT . THOSE THAT REACH IT'S END ARE EVEN FEWER.

mantis boxer
08-11-2000, 07:25 AM
There are so many ways to do praying mantis. Eng is from the WHF lineage so maybe that's where it differs a little. Also everytime you do a change step to a 7 star stance and chop the waist you have a few options :

1. Instead of changing step, you can step forward and chop the waist
2. Or you can step forward and go into a kneeling stance to chop the waist
3. Or you can change step, then go to a kneeling stance to chop the waist.

That's one example of how you can do the moves " differently" but actually it's the same.

mantis7
08-12-2000, 06:09 AM
Thank you all for your reply.. The only reason why I ask is because I have seen several versions of this form played and wanted a comparison.. I kinda of thought it was from the WHF lineage.... I have seent it done in a wushu mantis and from a Toi saniese mantis stylist... I know two well actually now three versions. I was hoping someone might give a diffrent perspective on the reason y there is so many variations...
I was looking for a historical reason for the variations....

Victor

Qi Xing Tong Long
08-27-2000, 08:55 PM
Victor,

In mantis, just like any other styles of martial arts, you will find different versions of a particular set.

The main reason for this was due to a simple fact, some Sifu's didn't have the blessing from their mentor to teach the family system and in order to avoid conflict later on with that Sifu's former clan, they would alterate the form a little.

Basically the techniques would become more of a simantics type of move, with the occassion of adding whole roads to them.
This is why you have some variations of forms. You know that at one point I taught 3 different variations of Bung Bo and now I have in my collection 9 different variations.

We, as traditional mantis stylist of the 7 Star family, should not be worry as to how and why they do their forms different then us. We should be concern as to wheather they understand the principle concepts of the 12 key formula.

If, they do understand the principle concepts of the 12 key formula, then they are doing their mantis correctly. Those that don't understand it are not.

Victor, you've seen it and so have I that there are a lot of people that practice mantis, but have no clue of what they are doing, they have no idea or understanding of the principles in the key formula. Yet some of these individuals are some of the first to criticize others.

When you look for a Sifu, he should understand the principles and essence of his style, period. How he wants to teach it it's up to him/her.

By the way, Paul Eng, Sifu happens to be a great mantis teacher with lots of combat knowledge. He is also a Vietnam Veteran.

Peace.

------------------
Ortiz Northern Shaolin Temple 7-Star Praying Mantis Chinese Boxing Academy

mantis7
08-27-2000, 09:11 PM
Dear Shifu

Youy are so right and I am glad that I had the chance to train under you.. I will not suffer from CMA tunnel visison...
this post was mailny to find out how many versons,and/or a comparrison, there were and the history behind it but it turned out to be a who is better thing or who is right, and it is symantics as long as there is the key forumals there a limitless numbers of combonations and variations...

Thank you for showing me how to keep my eyes open as long as showing me that all things have a place in this world...

Victor

nospam
08-27-2000, 10:15 PM
"When you look for a Sifu, he should understand the principles and essence of his style, period. How he wants to teach it it's up to him/her."

So very true! When someone speaks insightful words such as these, you know this person is the real deal.

It was good to read your post, Qi Xing Tong Long.

Qi Xing Tong Long
08-28-2000, 05:12 AM
NOSPAM,

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gifThank you, for your kind words.

List, let's all be grateful that we can train in these wonderful CMA's and not forget that life is a never ending experience. What we experience is what makes us the true masters of ourselves in the end.

Make the most out of life, by learning as much as you can, but by no means just briefly, seriously get into it, what ever it is. After all, life is about how much you accomplished while you lived it.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif "Stop underestimating one another".

------------------
Ortiz Northern Shaolin Temple 7-Star Praying Mantis Chinese Boxing Academy