PDA

View Full Version : Military Mental Health and 2007 Apache Attack

SanHeChuan
06-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Tying together two threads that are now locked.

After the incident, we went back to the FOB [forward operating base] and that’s when I was in my room. I had blood all down the front of me from the children. I was trying to wash it off in my room. I was pretty distraught over the whole situation with the children. So I went to a sergeant and asked to see [the mental health person], because I was having a hard time dealing with it. I was called a ***** and that I needed to suck it up and a lot of other horrible things. I was also told that there would be repercussions if I was to go to mental health.

Wired.com: What did you understand that to mean?

McCord: I would be smoked. Smoked is basically like you’re doing pushups a lot, you’re doing sit-ups … crunches and flutter kicks. They’re smoking you, they’re making you tired. I was told that I needed to get the sand out of my vagina…. So I just sucked it up and tried to move on with everything.

Read More http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/04/2007-iraq-apache-attack-as-seen-from%20-the-ground/#ixzz0qAuQO5to (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/04/2007-iraq-apache-attack-as-seen-from%20-the-ground/)

Drake
06-07-2010, 06:55 AM
If this is true, his entire chain of command needs to be relieved. They've been firing people left and right for being a-holes towards those with PTSD. I know of two offhand that relieved from command for pulling that crap.

Lee Chiang Po
06-10-2010, 08:27 AM
If this is true, his entire chain of command needs to be relieved. They've been firing people left and right for being a-holes towards those with PTSD. I know of two offhand that relieved from command for pulling that crap.

In times of armed conflict you have to harden the heart. People die. Old people, women and children. It is just a fact of that kind of life. It has been 3 years, so you need to let it go. For your own good you have to let it go.
In 1967, 2 days before Christmas, I was being transported to a site for a particular job. The gunner was out with injuries and so I manned the door gun. It was a brand new minigun. We got sidetracked when the pilot spotted a huge group of men and machines moving down a road and across an opening. We lined up and I opened up on the line of troops and swept a half mile of road within seconds. I can not even guess the number of casualties from that single sweep, but it has kept me awake many a night. It requires that you take it in stride and let it go.

Drake
06-10-2010, 10:35 AM
In times of armed conflict you have to harden the heart. People die. Old people, women and children. It is just a fact of that kind of life. It has been 3 years, so you need to let it go. For your own good you have to let it go.
In 1967, 2 days before Christmas, I was being transported to a site for a particular job. The gunner was out with injuries and so I manned the door gun. It was a brand new minigun. We got sidetracked when the pilot spotted a huge group of men and machines moving down a road and across an opening. We lined up and I opened up on the line of troops and swept a half mile of road within seconds. I can not even guess the number of casualties from that single sweep, but it has kept me awake many a night. It requires that you take it in stride and let it go.

Some people cope with it better than others.