PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open Martial Arts Championship James Cama's Hung Ching Students

Sam
06-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Congratulations to my students for their participation in the 2010 U.S. Open Martial Arts Championship at Queens College N.Y. on June 6th.
Ryan Prezioso Advanced Chi Sao Gold 1st, Two Man Form Silver, Southern Short Hand Form Bronze.
James Cama Jr. Advanced Chi Sao Silver, Two Man Form Silver, Advanced Push Hands Silver.
Mathew August Intermediate Chi Sao Gold 1st, Two Man Form Gold 1st.
Ian August Intermediate Chi Sao Silver, Two Man Form Gold 1st.
Alan Sterns Intermediate Chi Sao 36yrs up Gold 1st, Stationary Push Hands Silver.
Dane Smith Begining Chi Sao Gold 1st.
Anthony Fusco age 11 Begining Chi Sao Gold 1st, Push Hands Bronze.
James Cama Sifu C.F.M.A.

MysteriousPower
06-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Why post random information and no video?

Sam
06-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Video is in the works.

MysteriousPower
06-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Do you consider chi sao to be indicitive of skill? What skills do you believe chi sao develops?

Sam
06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Chi Sao is a training tool to enhance fighting. Just like a gun sight enhances the accuracy of the shot so does Chi Sao with fighting.

Sam
07-04-2010, 08:31 PM
www.youtube.com/user/Kamakirikaze

Sam
07-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Link is working.

MysteriousPower
07-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Did you really need to post the same thing in 3 different forums? My friend, who does not do martial arts, was watching his since it was open on my computer. He said, "Why are they holding hands and slap boxing? A guy with longer arms would beat the other guy every time."

I used to study wing chun so I know all about chi sao. This does not help with fighting as you stated. Perhaps I am wrong but how exactly does this help you to train fighting?

It was stated on the "spasmatic spm" thread that you guys are one of the schools that is keeping real Kung Fu alive. IMO this is no different than anything I have seen in the wc world which is not that spectacular in comparison to the broader picture of martial arts.

eomonroe00
07-09-2010, 11:18 AM
-not sure what your trying to say by quoting your friend, but length of arms gives an advantage, yes, in some ways, but there are also weaknesses about it, nothing guarantees victory, especially long arms
-, what is your opinion of chi sao, what do you believe it is training?

MysteriousPower
07-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I used to believe that chi sao was a way to build reflexes.

It is a good way to avoid real sparring that includes getting hit. Chi sao is okay for fun and to train children but it is based on an unrealistic agreement that both people will roll with each other at an arms length.

What is your opinion of chi sao?

eomonroe00
07-09-2010, 08:20 PM
if you have felt the chi sao i have felt you would never use the word childish and chi sao in the same sentence,

I think chi sao is a training tool to develop your arts tools, your tong's your pak's, your fuk's, and the concepts of your particular art, there are many training tools used besides sparring, chi sao is not the end all be all, its a piece of the puzzle,

Many styles use chi sao as a training tool, do you really mean to say that a majority of the martial arts community is using a childish training technique so they dont have to feel a real punch?

MysteriousPower
07-10-2010, 02:13 AM
if you have felt the chi sao i have felt you would never use the word childish and chi sao in the same sentence,

I think chi sao is a training tool to develop your arts tools, your tong's your pak's, your fuk's, and the concepts of your particular art, there are many training tools used besides sparring, chi sao is not the end all be all, its a piece of the puzzle,

Many styles use chi sao as a training tool, do you really mean to say that a majority of the martial arts community is using a childish training technique so they dont have to feel a real punch?

In a word yes. The "majority" of the martial arts community does not use chi sao. When I was a chunner not everyone was good at
the drill and did not spend as much time as others but when they sparred they were not necessarily pansies because they never chi saied. Some were very good without the drill.

People who say that sparring is only "a tool" do not do it much or are afraid of that kind of contact. How much sparring do you do in comparison to how much chi sao you do?

TenTigers
07-10-2010, 06:33 AM
I used to study wing chun so I know all about chi sao. This does not help with fighting as you stated. Perhaps I am wrong but how exactly does this help you to train fighting?

Priceless!
this is just too funny on so many levels.
It should be on every WCK guy's sig.:D:D:D

please don't answer this, Mysterious Powers. Or out of courtesy, do so on another thread.
It would be a shame to hijack this thread just for another one of your moronic rants.

As far as the chi-sao comps-congrats!
Your students have been dominationg the Southern Short hand divisions.

MysteriousPower
07-11-2010, 04:43 AM
Eomon,

I would like to know your answer on how chi sao helps with fighing. Have you been in a fight recently? Have you sparred recebtly with gear to allow for full powered strikes. If you have not done any of the two activities I mentioned than you cannot truly know if chi sao helps with fighting.

Tt,
you are always welcome to post even if you never answer the question. But just admit that you do not have an adequate answer to my question before going off on your condescending remark tour. You could also just admit that your practice mantis for recreation, to get a little culture, and to make yourself feel good on the inside that your are practicing THE DEADLY instead of practing for combat.

The reason you will not reveal your teacher is because it makes you feel good that you are studying with the secret mantis master. You feel special instead of some regular smuck who is training with the normal teacher who does not hide in the bat cave. You had to ignore king copper because if you give the secret away maybe "they" will go after your secret teacher for giving away the secret version of hand twirling that no one else in the world(accept for 5 people) cares about.

Someone answer me, please. How does the chi sao in the videos posted aid in learning combat? It's great for exfoliating the skin on the arms for sure but that is all we can be sure of.

TenTigers
07-11-2010, 08:28 PM
. It's not that it's a secret, I simply respect his wishes to separate himself from all this bullsht. Not sure why this is so hard for you to understand, but whatever.
Probably the same thing that makes you think that the people who trained in styles that have these drills, did so for how many years, and it never occurred to them to actually test it live, but YOU, with a few years here and there, know so much more than all of them. You put all the missing pieces together and figured this out, turning the TCMA world on its ear.
Ok, let me break this down for you in a real easy to understand example.
Hook off the jab.
You throw a jab at your opponent, who checks it, and you immediately run into the hook, catching him right on the side of the head.
Basic textbook boxing.
Now, you think,"That works real well. How else can I utilize this concept?"
So, you create a few variations on this, and work it.
You have just done a common Southern short-hand drill, common to styles like WCK and SPM.
See? Easy peasy.

MysteriousPower
07-12-2010, 06:28 AM
. It's not that it's a secret, I simply respect his wishes to separate himself from all this bullsht. Not sure why this is so hard for you to understand, but whatever.
Probably the same thing that makes you think that the people who trained in styles that have these drills, did so for how many years, and it never occurred to them to actually test it live, but YOU, with a few years here and there, know so much more than all of them. You put all the missing pieces together and figured this out, turning the TCMA world on its ear.
Ok, let me break this down for you in a real easy to understand example.
Hook off the jab.
You throw a jab at your opponent, who checks it, and you immediately run into the hook, catching him right on the side of the head.
Basic textbook boxing.
Now, you think,"That works real well. How else can I utilize this concept?"
So, you create a few variations on this, and work it.
You have just done a common Southern short-hand drill, common to styles like WCK and SPM.
See? Easy peasy.

The next logical question would be where are the videos of these mantis people testing it "live" as you say. I ONLY see video of the deadly training arm exfoliating drills. Are the sparring videos hidden to keep the deadly secrets of mantis a secret for the 5 people that care?

What is your definition of testing it live? Let us start there. How do you test mantis live? Sparring? Does it look like "mantis" when sparring or does it look like basic boxing?

TenTigers
07-12-2010, 10:35 AM
The next logical question would be where are the videos of these mantis people testing it "live" as you say. I ONLY see video of the deadly training arm exfoliating drills. Are the sparring videos hidden to keep the deadly secrets of mantis a secret for the 5 people that care?

What is your definition of testing it live? Let us start there. How do you test mantis live? Sparring? Does it look like "mantis" when sparring or does it look like basic boxing?

videos? Who gives a sh1t about videos? A bunch of forum "experts?" " fighting authorities?" A bunch of internet nobodys? What are you, five?
You ONLY see what you see on a video, and from that, you judge the world.

uh..what does mantis sparring look like? It looks like hitting. It would definately have similarities to western boxing, but the body structure would be different. Jab,cross, uppercut, hook, all exist in Mantis, along with forearms, hammerfists, elbows, and other strikes.
The main difference is with SPM, we try to shut him down on the first encounter and follow up with barrage until it's done-if possible. There is no stick and move, no breaking apart unless you ned to disengage and renew your attack.