PDA

View Full Version : New to WC

shaolin_allan
06-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone I am a new student to wing chun. I have been training for a few months in it and have learned slim lum tao as well as its applications. I am slowly moving onto new stuff as well as just beginning escrima. Does anyone have any good training tips for me? Also I was just noticing that there are some definite differences between lineages in both training and formwork, would you agree?

YungChun
06-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi everyone I am a new student to wing chun. I have been training for a few months in it and have learned slim lum tao as well as its applications.

Hi...

There are many differences among Chunners.

Can you tell us about some of the SLT applications you've learned..?

shaolin_allan
06-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Sure. We have worked beginner stuff such as wrist grabs and chokes from the front and behind, as well as kick defenses using bong sao and tan sao etc.. followed by springing in with a punch. I have also been learning to use kicks such as jeet gerk and doing the 2 person drill I think is called kwok sao? using fuk sao followed by punching through crossing the bridge. What stuff did you learn as a beginner?

YungChun
06-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Sure. We have worked beginner stuff such as wrist grabs and chokes from the front and behind, as well as kick defenses using bong sao and tan sao etc.. followed by springing in with a punch. I have also been doing the 2 person drill I think is called kwok sao? usinf fuk sao followed by punching through crossing the bridge. What stuff did you learn as a beginner?

Very different.. For example I have no idea what you mean by a kwok sao drill.

As a beginner I learned:

The punch.. The first form.. The classical pak drill... The idea of centerline...

shaolin_allan
06-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I may be saying it wrong as i'm still learning the terms. I'm sure its the same as the classic pak sao drill u mentioned. From what I have seen Moy Yat seems to be one of the best wc systems. How long have u studied it for? And what brought you to wing chun?

YungChun
06-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I may be saying it wrong as i'm still learning the terms. I'm sure its the same as the classic pak sao drill u mentioned. From what I have seen Moy Yat seems to be one of the best wc systems. How long have u studied it for? And what brought you to wing chun?

I've been training on and off since 1990...

I came to Chun to try to improve my fighting... :)

Eric_H
06-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey Allan,

I think we traded some messages a few years back under my old screen name here. Glad you found a place to train. If you're ever going to be down in my neck of the woods (chandler/tempe/gilbert) send a PM, maybe we can meet up in a park and train.

Best,
~Eric

shaolin_allan
06-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Which nickname did you use before? It's a drive for me to do the WC but if I want decent kung fu I guess there's always sacrifices to be made. I'm considering cross training and returning to my last sifu also to try and relearn my bagua forms as well. It's odd with how many wing chunners are on this forum that not more people posted in this thread.

LoneTiger108
06-29-2010, 05:24 AM
Hi everyone I am a new student to wing chun. I have been training for a few months in it and have learned slim lum tao as well as its applications. I am slowly moving onto new stuff as well as just beginning escrima. Does anyone have any good training tips for me? Also I was just noticing that there are some definite differences between lineages in both training and formwork, would you agree?

It's odd with how many wing chunners are on this forum that not more people posted in this thread.

Well, re-read what you're asking here and it may give you an idea why nobody is posting! :rolleyes:

Beginner. Already 'finished' SLT. Now starting Escrima! THEN you mention lineage!! That DREADED word for most!

Sounds like you're in a Leung Ting School. My advice is just be happy when you're training and be happy with the people you train with! :D