PDA

View Full Version : Choy lay Fut Fundamental Training

Shaolindynasty
06-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Hey guys, I put up a new video on choy lay fut fundamental training. I recorded this during my beginners class all the people (aside from me) have less than a year of training. Let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsNLMg6ldO0

hskwarrior
06-12-2010, 04:00 PM
nice. similar to what we do.

Shaolindynasty
06-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Of course! We are both choy lay fut:cool:

Sardinkahnikov
06-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Great video! Choy Lay Fut sure seems like an awesome style.
Quick question: how are those circular punches performed (0:15 in the video)? It looks like it could really hurt. Are they used in a similar fashion as in this other video? (look at 0:24)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyikzfnTym0

Shaolindynasty
06-13-2010, 06:30 AM
The technique at 0:15 is directed at the body. I typically come in with some straight shots to the head then step at a forward angle and throw the body shot. It's also good for someone who just covers up the head with both hands.

We also do alot for other angles so you could use it like in the other vid

Lee Chiang Po
06-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Hey guys, I put up a new video on choy lay fut fundamental training. I recorded this during my beginners class all the people (aside from me) have less than a year of training. Let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsNLMg6ldO0

I am not really familiar with most forms of gung fu, so I can not really give a real educated opinion of much of anything except my own fighting system. However, these blows look like the arm and hand are used sort of like a swung club of sorts. This does seem to be powerful, but it also, to me anyway, seems like it could be injurous to your elbow joints too at times or if the blow landed wrong. Are there many injuries during training with this style? I have always leaned way away from round punches of any sort, and especially if the arm is fully extended when striking.

Shaolindynasty
06-13-2010, 12:55 PM
As with any strike including straight punches, you keep the elbow somewhat bent to minimize hyperextension. With proper instruction in the structure of the techniques and a little training injury is no problem.

Lee Chiang Po
06-13-2010, 04:38 PM
As with any strike including straight punches, you keep the elbow somewhat bent to minimize hyperextension. With proper instruction in the structure of the techniques and a little training injury is no problem.

Just from what I seen, these blows would be difficult to block or even redirect. In the past from fighting with untrained people that did what I called windmilling, I learned that it could be difficult to deal with using my own personal techniques. Someone doing it deliberately, and in a more controlled manner, would indeed be a hard system to fight against.

hskwarrior
06-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Whats your intended target in that one? upper torso? the back? kidneys?

Shaolindynasty
06-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Depends on the angle I step in at and the position of theopponent but I like to aim at the ribs and the kidney area. You can also hit the solar plexis with it if you get to the side of the opponent or any target in the middle gates

hskwarrior
06-14-2010, 02:35 PM
yup yup :D .....

Shaolindynasty
06-17-2010, 02:10 PM
I think they need to work on their twisting and shoulder alignment for both swing and straight punches. What ideas do you teach in this regard? Some of the padwork was better in the twisting for some reason.

They are constantly training to improve the structure of their techniques. Of the students in the video only one has more than 6 months training the other 2 have around 2-3 months. So with that said they have a firm grasp of the technique given their experience levels.

I could not see the fists clearly on impact. Are they using that panther fist or any variation of throwing the thumb back on any of the swing punches

The thumb should be placed at the top of the fist out of the way of the strike when delivering a kup choi. When throwing the sau choi the impact are is the forearm usually so it's not nessacary to change the formation of the fist.

I visited the site referred to by that clip. I'd like to see some photos of the chop choi fist mentioned.

I assume you are talking about the article on that site, that was an article featured in the 2008 july/August issue of Kung Fu Taichi magazine. The full article complete with photos can be seen there. You can purchase that issue here http://www.martialartsmart.com/kf200147.html

Nice combinations and training.

Thank you

Jimbo
06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I liked the video and think you're doing good work in your teaching.

Shaolindynasty
06-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Thank you, I hope these positive comments help build my students confidence and motivate them to continue training hard

hskwarrior
06-17-2010, 10:25 PM
I love the progress of new students. I just picked up 4 new young students and from their first day till now, its been a pleasure watching them take shape.

SD....do u guys ALWAYS have your thumb on top? we do.

Shaolindynasty
06-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Teaching can be a rewarding experience when you get a group of dedicated and interested students.

No we don't always keep it on top. We use a regular fist alot. With those particular strikes we move the thumb so it's not in the way. Also with the panther fist we place the thumb at the top and press on the other fingers to create a more stable striking surface. Though we do use the regular fist alot with the chop choi

hskwarrior
06-18-2010, 02:14 PM
in my opiniion, the shape of the hand doesn't make the chop choy. its the concept of STABBING that we focus on. but just to make sure we never forget to move the thumb, i always make my students use the thumb on top in order to not make a mistake.

Shaolindynasty
06-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Yes I agree. We use so many different hand formations such as regular fist, panther fist, palm strikes, tiger claw, finger strikes etc. that I like my students to get used to changeing the hand formation often.

Shaolindynasty
06-20-2010, 11:39 AM
I just put up another fundamentals video enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LakBTD-Ft9k