PDA

View Full Version : Hand Coordination in Wing Chun

Shaolinstudent
06-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Whats up fellow KFMF members, it's been a while since I posted or even read a new thread, but I still have been practicing and in my training I have hit a speed bump. When I practice I find my arms are in weird angled positions not correct to the Wing Chun Style. What can I do to avoid this. I have considered buying a rattan ring will that help my hand technique stay correct to Wing Chun?

P.S. What other training or conditioning methods are there in the Wing Chun Style. Ex.: kettlebell training

SAAMAG
06-14-2010, 03:10 PM
The best teacher is experience. Minor things like having your arm at 43 degrees instead of 45 degrees isn't a big deal, and in the grand scheme of things the most important is whether or not you can apply it successfully. Outside of that nothing matters as to how it "looks".

HumbleWCGuy
06-14-2010, 07:15 PM
I am of the opinion that form is of top importance. The problem is that if you are in a school where effectiveness isn't a top priority, the form or look of things that they expect might be based on something unrelated to fighting.

Essentially, if someone is telling you to do something a certain way, and you are doing perfectly by their standards, and losing, then that conception of form needs to be modified.

Although, I will say that I have come full circle on certain aspects of my training. I tried a technique a specific way. It did not work. Then, I thought that my instructor was incorrect so I modified the technique to suite me. Later, I realized that my initial understanding was incomplete and came back to the original. In come cases my instructor might of had an incomplete understanding at the time and did not fully communicate what needed to be done. sometimes people know the form and don't really understand how to apply it correctly. Sometimes it is hard to know what is wrong when something isn't working.

Matrix
06-14-2010, 07:29 PM
I have considered buying a rattan ring will that help my hand technique stay correct to Wing Chun?Not necessary.
You said that you hit a "speed bump". The best way to learn is to slow it down. Speed kills.
Since you say that your hands are at "weird angle positions" it seems that you know what you're trying to achieve for your current level of training. Slow down and enjoy the experience. This is not a race, it's a journey. Try to understand what you are doing and why.

What Van says is correct, IMO. However, in the beginning things may seem a little more mechanical, it will change over time.

Have fun.

LoneTiger108
06-15-2010, 01:59 AM
... When I practice I find my arms are in weird angled positions not correct to the Wing Chun Style. What can I do to avoid this. I have considered buying a rattan ring will that help my hand technique stay correct to Wing Chun?

Your profile mentions that you have 2 years experience, and I guess this is in Shaolin? Correct angles in static arm posturing is key to further development but I wouldn't get too caught up in right and wrong so early.

FME There are very few people who understand the rattan ring training at all, so it's best avoided to be honest as it can also create very bad habits if the intention is blurred.

P.S. What other training or conditioning methods are there in the Wing Chun Style. Ex.: kettlebell training

Try the wooden man, if your teacher allows it... ;)

YungChun
06-15-2010, 02:09 AM
When I practice I find my arms are in weird angled positions not correct to the Wing Chun Style.

I'm sure no one knows what this means and yet................

What do you mean by this?

Lee Chiang Po
06-15-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm sure no one knows what this means and yet................

What do you mean by this?

I was thinking the very same thing. I have no idea what this means without some in depth description or clarification. I would not venture to advise without knowing what was being discussed.
The form or way things look have very little to do with winning or losing a fight. In fact, I have never seen 2 people that held the same postures. So what seems to be the problem?

Ironmike
06-15-2010, 09:53 AM
The first form, don chi sau and double chi sau.

Shaolinstudent
06-15-2010, 03:27 PM
I was thinking the very same thing. I have no idea what this means without some in depth description or clarification. I would not venture to advise without knowing what was being discussed.
The form or way things look have very little to do with winning or losing a fight. In fact, I have never seen 2 people that held the same postures. So what seems to be the problem?

A common mistake I make when solo practicing is I will practice a jum sau block then change into huen da as if I am striking at an opponents ribs and my arm will end in a position that looks like gan sau.

YungChun
06-16-2010, 03:19 AM
A common mistake I make when solo practicing is I will practice a jum sau block then change into huen da as if I am striking at an opponents ribs and my arm will end in a position that looks like gan sau.

The above does not compute.. It's difficult to know why you would be training that. Is that part of a form?

What are you up to in class training?

uki
06-16-2010, 03:45 AM
juggling improves hand/eye co-ordination... juggling iron balls strengthens structure. :)

LoneTiger108
06-16-2010, 05:11 AM

Sounds similar to a set in SLT.

But single-handed posturing isn't to be confused with double-handed postures like gaan sau, quan sau etc as they are all intentionally named for that reason (they use both hands)