PDA

View Full Version : Jingwu: The School that Transformed Kung Fu by Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo

Chief_Suicide
04-05-2010, 05:43 AM
New JingWo (Chin Woo) Book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1583942424/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_t4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0NJRE8BX7VCF3JCHW9E2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846)

Written by the same authors that put out Chinese Training Manuals. Looks interesting, I guess I can find out in June.

brianlkennedy
04-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I hope you do find it interesting! My wife Elizabeth and I were very proud to have gotten both Stan Henning and Tim Cartmell to write the cover blurbs for the book. Elizabeth and I would like to say thanks to both those fine historians and writers for their support with this project.

Thanks too to Sifu Robert Louie, Pat Hodges and Rick Wing for all their help with the Jingwu materials.

The book has tons of great historical photos and I tried to tie the Jingwu Association into wider aspects of Chinese history of the time.

I did an interview a couple of days ago and one of the questions they asked was about the relevancy of my book. Here was my answer

Does the Jingwu story have any relevance to modern times?
“It is completely relevant. One of the reasons I wrote this book is because the situation that the Jingwu faced in the early 1900s is identical with the situation that traditional martial arts faces today. Here is the deal. Mixed Martial Arts, MMA, has to a large extent pushed traditional Chinese martial arts off the map so to speak. This is true not just in the west but also to some extent also in Asia. Young people, be they Taiwanese, Chinese or North Americans; if they are interested in martial arts they turn to MMA for their training. Traditional martial arts are seen as outdated and ineffective and are in a very real danger of being marginalized. In fact many traditional martial arts I suspect will die out over the next few decades. This was exactly the same situation that the Jingwu faced in China in the early 1900s.”
“For traditional Chinese martial arts to survive going into the 21st century they must remake themselves, as the Jingwu remade traditional Chinese martial arts going into the 20th century.”

take care,
Brian

peace&love
04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
I really looking forward to reading this book. Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals: A Historical Survey is a fantastic piece of historical literature. Thank you, Brian.

ghostexorcist
04-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I already pre-ordered it!

brianlkennedy
04-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks folks. It is kind of interesting too, the Jingwu back in Shanghai is celebrating the 100 year anniversary of the founding of the Jingwu. The organization has been brought back to life in China, I guess it was about ten years ago. I would actually be interested to know what the new "Neo-Jingwu's" program looks like. I would hope and presume they would continue traditional Chinese martial arts.

take care,
Brian

sanjuro_ronin
04-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Your last book was great Brian and I am really looking forward to this one.

Chief_Suicide
04-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I read your Chinese Training Manuals book. I enjoyed it.

It is great to be able to talk to the author of the book itself.

I thought JingWu accepted all forms of martial arts, or is that just movie myth? I'm know some about the school, but not what I should I suppose.

Michael Dasargo
04-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Awesome! My students and I are looking forward to purchasing the book. Are you still in SD?

brianlkennedy
04-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Chief Suicide, It is true that the Jingwu taught a wide range of different Chinese martial arts. But in the first few years they stuck with a program that was Northern Shaolin (actually Mizongquan) based. As the Jingwu spread other traditional arts were brought in. These included other forms of Northern Shaolin, different Mantis Boxing systems and when the Jingwu spread to the south, different Southern Shaolin systems including Crane Boxing.

If I understand it correctly, most of the Jingwu Associations in North America and in Europe teach mostly Northern Shaolin. In contrast the Jingwu Associations in South Asia teach mostly southern shaolin type arts.

Sanjuro Ronin, thanks much for the kind words. I should mention, given your forum name, I started Kendo a few weeks back. I had always wanted to do it and so I finally did. I practice at the San Diego Taiwanese Center.

Sifu Dasargo, yes, I am still here in San Diego. I had to take over our family business about a year ago when my brother died. So playing business owner has kept me busy.

take care,
Brian

sanjuro_ronin
04-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Sanjuro Ronin, thanks much for the kind words. I should mention, given your forum name, I started Kendo a few weeks back. I had always wanted to do it and so I finally did. I practice at the San Diego Taiwanese Center.

I am sure you are enjoying it !
I am from the Yagyu-Shinkage ryu "lineage" myself and my time in Kendo was great fun ( though the Ryu tended to be more Kenjutsu oriented, which I prefer).

Jimbo
04-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Brian, I really enjoyed your last book, and yesterday I pre-ordered this one. Thanks for the heads-up! It's always inspirational to find high-quality CMA books, which aren't the easiest types of books to come by.

Skip J.
06-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Our own Brian Kennedy and his hardworking associate Elizabeth's new book is now available... according to the publisher...

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9781583942420.html

some words from them:

"in 1909, because of their ties with the failed Boxer Rebellion and the rise of modern weaponry, Chinese martial arts were in serious danger of extinction. The Jingwu Association was formed to keep these ancient arts alive. Jingwu: The School That Transformed Kung Fu tells the story of this seminal institution. Extensively researched, the book shows Jingwu as the first public martial arts training school and the first to teach kung fu as recreation, not simply as a form of combat. It was also the first to incorporate women’s programs with men’s, and the first to use popular media to promote Chinese martial arts as both sport and entertainment. Through these efforts, the Jingwu Association helped guarantee Chinese martial arts would survive the transition from traditional to modern China.

This lively history covers the school’s tumultuous beginnings; the four historical phases of Chinese martial arts that inform it; profiles of important practitioners like Huo Yuanjia; those elements, such as the integration of women, that have made Jingwu distinctive and enduring; individual branches and practices within the larger system; and more. Rare historical documents and vintage photographs take the reader directly into one of the most fascinating and important stories in martial arts."

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GeneChing
06-15-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm looking forward to digging into it on the flight to Legends of Kung Fu (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56851). I won't get the chance to crack it until then. I think I'm on a flight with Lily Lau and Daniel Tomizaki.

tommyf350
06-15-2010, 09:32 AM
its on my list of books im looking to purchase.:)

Skip J.
06-15-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm looking forward to digging into it on the flight to Legends of Kung Fu (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56851). I won't get the chance to crack it until then. I think I'm on a flight with Lily Lau and Daniel Tomizaki.
Yeah, I know... broken record and all that...

I will have my copy before then, and maybe have read some of it too....

What I'm looking forward to is Brian and Elizabeth giving the true story of how Huo Yuanjia died.... Jet Li movies are great.... and Bruce Lee's movies too..... but somehow I think maybe it was romanticised a bit in the various movies????

Brian and Liz research out every link to an historical event and tell all sides of it and which in their opinion is the most likely to have happened and why.

Skip J.
06-15-2010, 09:47 AM
its on my list of books im looking to purchase.:)
Hey Tommy;

Perhaps this is redundant, ..... but if not, welcome on board!!!!!

tommyf350
06-15-2010, 09:54 AM
thanks, im glad i found the place. also didnt bruce lee make a movie i think the title was jing wu men where he plays a deciple of hou yuanjia? do you know what style hou yuanjia used ? wudang?

GeneChing
06-15-2010, 10:06 AM
If you saw me at Tiger Claw's 2nd KungFuMagazine.com Championship (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56385), you'd have seen me work like a dog. ;)

Remember this thread? (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56138)

We actually did a Chin Woo - Huo Yuan Jia Collector's Issue in 2006 September/October (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=671). You should give that a gander, tommyf350. We also did a cover story with Chin Woo's main U.S. rep, Jimmy Wong (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=825) in our 2009 July/August issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=824).

lkfmdc
06-15-2010, 10:44 AM
A book I will HAVE TO HAVE

Skip J.
06-15-2010, 10:55 AM
thanks, im glad i found the place. also didnt bruce lee make a movie i think the title was jing wu men where he plays a deciple of hou yuanjia? do you know what style hou yuanjia used ? wudang?
Hey Tommy;
I can't say, I remember there were several "Fists of Fury" movies about that - but that was such a long time ago..... I thought the recent Jet Li "Fearless" told his story very well, I'm just not sure there weren't a few idealistic scenes that were not historically correct.

Jing Wu is a Chinese athletic association that promotes martial arts of all kinds... all styles of kung fu, taiji, you name it. I'm not sure that his own particular style has been mentioned.... maybe Brian's book will have it.

Skip J.
06-15-2010, 11:01 AM
If you saw me at Tiger Claw's 2nd KungFuMagazine.com Championship (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56385), you'd have seen me work like a dog. ;)

Remember this thread? (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56138)

We actually did a Chin Woo - Huo Yuan Jia Collector's Issue in 2006 September/October (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=671). You should give that a gander, tommyf350. We also did a cover story with Chin Woo's main U.S. rep, Jimmy Wong (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=825) in our 2009 July/August issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=824).
Hey Gene; you mite not be lucky in some other lifetime, but I'm not gonna be sharing a plane with any Masters and Grandmasters... I will be in your class when you get there...

It's kinda funny you would reference those issues... I bought the 2009 issue and read your reference to this forum in there and here I am. I also read your promo spot to subscribe and did.....

Jimbo
06-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Looking forward to getting this book. I pre-ordered it back in April, and it just began shipping to me yesterday.

Shaolindynasty
06-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Just got mine today, it's awesome!

David43515
06-15-2010, 06:24 PM

This is just off the top of my head, but if memory serves me right he practiced Mi Tsung I (Lost Track or Labrynth style).

SPJ
06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Jin wu actually was about atheletic programs for all civilians.

chinese were using a lot of opiums, and gained the nickname of the weakest of east asia.

on the other hand, guo shu guan were tied to military and research and promotion of CMA in the military, police etc

while you are giving all the credits to jin wu and huo

please do not forget guo shu guan people.

thanks.

SPJ
06-15-2010, 07:13 PM
http://www.chinwoo.org.cn/

brianlkennedy
06-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Elizabeth and I hope folks enjoy the book. One of the things that might surprise (or disappoint!) people is that there is next to nothing known about Huo Laoshi. And when I say “known”, I mean reliably known from contemporaneous documents. The Jingwu 10 Year Anniversary book says nothing about him other than listing him as a founder and having a full page photo of him.

I do have a section in the book talking about the foreigner fights but what it says in essence is; could have happened but no proof. Huo was from day one and important symbol of what the Jingwu was trying to do. But----next to nothing known about the actual facts of his life. Like all symbols, Huo was basically made up in the sense of urban legends immediately started to surround him and swallow up any and all actual facts about his life.

One thing that is a fact is---the Jingwu was, and continues to be, an important part of Chinese martial arts history and development.

Take care,
Brian
p.s. Happy Dragon Boat Festival, which is today!

brianlkennedy
06-16-2010, 09:37 AM
As to Huo Laoshi's martial arts system. His family's system (which they were quite famous for as they ran a bodyguard service) was Lost Track Boxing, Mizongquan (迷蹤拳). Huo Laoshi however was not allowed to teach that family system to outsiders. The Huo family wanted, as was the norm in Qing dynasty, to keep their "trade secrets" within the family.

So Huo Laoshi picked out various techniques and forms to teach the public at the Jingwu Association classes. This system he called Lost Track Techniques, (迷蹤藝). As to what exactly his selection criteria was nobody knows. My suspicion is that the techniques and forms he taught in public were the same as in his family boxing but he left out (again, as was the norm when Chinese martial arts were making the transition into modern times) was two keys to Chinese martial arts fighting:
1. hitting the weights to build basic strength
and 2. sparring with protective gear

take care,
Brian

Skip J.
06-16-2010, 10:20 AM
As to Huo Laoshi's martial arts system. His family's system (which they were quite famous for as they ran a bodyguard service) was Lost Track Boxing, Mizongquan (迷蹤拳). Huo Laoshi however was not allowed to teach that family system to outsiders. The Huo family wanted, as was the norm in Qing dynasty, to keep their "trade secrets" within the family.

So Huo Laoshi picked out various techniques and forms to teach the public at the Jingwu Association classes. This system he called Lost Track Techniques, (迷蹤藝). As to what exactly his selection criteria was nobody knows. My suspicion is that the techniques and forms he taught in public were the same as in his family boxing but he left out (again, as was the norm when Chinese martial arts were making the transition into modern times) was two keys to Chinese martial arts fighting:

take care,
Brian

Thank you Brian, I knew you would find out what there was to know.....

sanjuro_ronin
06-16-2010, 10:27 AM

take care,
Brian

If there is one thing I hate, is when people give out trade secrets !!
Semi-nude ninja women with pruned hedges have been sent to dispatch you !!

MasterKiller
06-16-2010, 10:36 AM
FYI...This book is a lot cheaper on Amazon

sanjuro_ronin
06-16-2010, 11:12 AM
I already ordered my Book :D

brianlkennedy
06-17-2010, 09:01 AM
How, when and how much to release of a family system is an interesting part of martial arts research. It would have been very interesting to have heard the discussions going on with Huo, his father, uncles and the grandson (who ended up doing most of the actual teaching at the Jingwu) about how to proceed. It reminds me somewhat of the Gracie family and the "cyber screaming" about Gracie Combatitives and whether that had "*****-ed off the family name".

It is kind of the same problem.

take care,
Brian

Jimbo
06-17-2010, 09:21 AM
I received the book yesterday afternoon, and must say I read nearly all of it in a couple sittings. Great job. I esp. liked the part comparing the myths and actual or likely facts of Huo Yuanjia. So many myths have been immortalized in stories and movies that they've taken on a life of their own. Great photos.

Also about how people can't even get clear information on many martial artists or incidences of the past 50 years, let alone a century or centuries ago. As mentioned, the Bruce Lee/Wong Jack-Man fight. It's taken on legendary proportions, probably with more versions of the story than people who actually witnessed it. And for many of them, I do bet it's very hard to give an objective account based on relationship or ulterior motives. Had there been film or video of that fight, it most likely would not have lived up to the legends surrounding it.

Skip J.
06-17-2010, 11:24 AM
How, when and how much to release of a family system is an interesting part of martial arts research. It would have been very interesting to have heard the discussions going on with Huo, his father, uncles and the grandson (who ended up doing most of the actual teaching at the Jingwu) about how to proceed. It reminds me somewhat of the Gracie family and the "cyber screaming" about Gracie Combatitives and whether that had "*****-ed off the family name".

It is kind of the same problem.

take care,
Brian
Hello Brian;

Thanks! Most folks just do not have a clue that Jing Wu is about the school, not the particular styles and/or systems taught within any particular location. Imagining discussion between the family members of spreading the family secret system far and wide is interesting to contemplate.

By the way, Brian and Elizabeth's previous book:
Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals - A Historical Survey
Is a "must have" for any CMA'ist to read.....

It has references to "Jing Wu" on 4 pages, two of which are quite descriptive....

It would have to be a very small family system to not be included in the "CMA Training Manuals", and those that produced written material is in there too.

At lunch, I stopped in to buy "Jing Wu" - and Gene's book too - at Border's, but it was only available on line; and they didn't have Gene's at all. I came back and ordered both of them, but it looks like I will not be getting Gene to sign mine next week..... bummer....

Of course Gene, that lucky dog, he got a free copy of "Jing Wu" to review already..... yeah, we know Gene; you're working yourself to the bone trying to keep us all happy, a thankless task I'm sure....

Skip J.
06-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I received the book yesterday afternoon, and must say I read nearly all of it in a couple sittings. Great job. I esp. liked the part comparing the myths and actual or likely facts of Huo Yuanjia. So many myths have been immortalized in stories and movies that they've taken on a life of their own. Great photos.

Yessss.... I thought so....

ghostexorcist
06-26-2010, 12:22 PM
I received my copy yesterday and I haven't put it down. I fell asleep reading it and woke up with it still in my hand—IT’S THAT GOOD! My only qualm with it is, like his last work, references are non-existent. Yes, he does note that most of his material comes from the Jingwu ten-year, 50-year, and Hawaiian 50-year anniversary books, but not everything he says can come from these. The book is full of so much mouth-watering material (beyond the scope of Jingwu), but there are no references to follow up on. Even references to various pages in the anniversary books would have been helpful.

MasterKiller
06-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Just read it. Great addition to a library.

brianlkennedy
06-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Good Morning,

Let me answer a couple of the comments:

Jimbo,
Thanks so much for the kind words about the book. I will pass them along to Elizabeth. She and I are happy that people find the book of interest.

You mentioned that chapter in the back where I talk about “Historical Methods in Chinee Martial Arts Research”. I think that is such an important area to talk about because there are a number of important factors that are often overlooked when talking about martial arts history. And like you mentioned, it is very hard to pin down the truth of “historical events” that have occurred in modern times, even for example since my martial arts career started in the 1970s . I have seen a huge body of mythology grow up around such people as Robert Smith, Bruce Lee, the Gracies and others.

Skip J. ,
As always, thanks much and yes, you are so right about the Jingwu being far more about the movement as a whole and less about individual styles of martial arts. In many ways the Jingwu was a social movement as much as a martial arts movement. It really points out how martial arts history and wider cultural history interrelate.

Ghostexorcist,
Elizabeth and I would like to say thanks to you too. Both of us really appreciate the support from readers and fellow historians. As to the references, I do agree that bibliographies and references would have been better but the practical aspects of doing those things make them impossible.

Was there a particular area that you were interested in pursuing? If so maybe I can help you out with some references.

MasterKiller,
Thanks much, we are glad you enjoyed it.

Take care,
Brian

jdhowland
06-28-2010, 02:44 PM
This book is a great accomplishment, important for anyone interested in the development of martial culture in the 20th century. As a long time admirer of the Jing Wu/Jing Mo branches I wish them many more years of service. To authors, a personal thanks for their efforts in making this available. This is a solid overview of Jing Wu philosophy and history.

Minghequan
07-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Got Mine yesterday and already read it from cover to cover! Fantastic and informative book by a good friend in Brian and Elizabeth!

Thank you both for your very valuable contribution to the Chinese Martial Arts.

cerebus
07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Just received my copy and I'm loving it! Great job Brian and Elizabeth! Another excellent addition to the English-language literature of the Chinese martial arts. :):)

brianlkennedy
07-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Good Morning Cerebus, JD Howland and Minghequan;
Thanks much for the good reviews. Over the long weekend I sat down and watched the old Bruce Lee movie Jingwu Men (Jingwu Gate--or as it was released here in the US, "Fists of Fury"). It was quite interesting to see what in that movie was accurate and what in it was nonsense. Oddly enough the movie did, in several odd ways, reflect some of the realities of the Jingwu's early years. Over the next day or so I will put some of my thoughts together and maybe Gene will let me publish a short e-zine article on it.

take care,
Brian

lkfmdc
07-05-2010, 09:34 AM
I love Brian Kennedy

(and not in the dark, creepy way I love Gene ;) lol)

Keep up the great work man! Really

GeneChing
10-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Apparently there are two new Jingwu books out, both well timed for Jingwu's 100th anniversary. There's another coming out of the UK, or so my ninjas (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=922) tell me, and I didn't want there to be any confusion.

Read Martial Arts of the Jingwu (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=924) by our own Brian L. Kennedy. :cool:

lkfmdc
10-14-2010, 01:34 PM
I have aquired a copy of Brian's book and read it quickly, but not enough to do it real justice. I want to say it's another homerun out of the park spectacular hit! But it probably deserves more than that

David Jamieson
10-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Apparently there are two new Jingwu books out, both well timed for Jingwu's 100th anniversary. There's another coming out of the UK, or so my ninjas (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=922) tell me, and I didn't want there to be any confusion.

Read Martial Arts of the Jingwu (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=924) by our own Brian L. Kennedy. :cool:

The Chinese hate the British and have always fed them very poor kung fu. :p

GeneChing
10-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Why lkfmdc? Why? :rolleyes:

I've read this book too and loved it. Once again, Brian and Elizabeth have unearthed a gem from that treasured library of Liu Kang Yi's, translated it to English and put it in a proper historical context. It's the second most important book to come out in 2010 (after mine (http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Trips-Gene-Ching/dp/1424308976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276188031&sr=1-1) of course ;))

brianlkennedy
10-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Hi Gene,
Well, maybe you, me and Elizabeth can share the Nobel Prize for Martial Arts Literature this year. But remember they only give us 10 minutes for the acceptance speech and we gotta split the 10 minutes three ways so don't go on and on...."I want to thank my parents, my Hakka ancestors, my co-workers, and the members of the Academy...."

One serious note I would add, the photos in the article are all showing moves from the "+ Shape Form" which is the Northern Shaolin form shown in the Jingwu Anniversary Book.

take care,
Brian