PDA

View Full Version : Twisting your fist into someone's face!

RenDaHai
06-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Hey Guys,

I thought this may be an interesting question;

How do you guys use 'Impulse' during combat? In physics Impulse = Force * Time, So what I mean is for the short time that the fist is in actual contact with the opponent, do you add any thing?

I.e Do you add an extra bit of twist while you are in contact, do you turn the punch slightly as you continue through? Or is your punch fully formed and twisted before contact? There are lots of types of punches, some like to flick and stay in contact as short as possible, but those utilizing the effect of impulse are the ones I'm interested in.

Off course there is no best answer here and there are differences between gloved, non gloved, face and body but Im just asking as I'm really interested in what different people do?

jdhowland
06-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Sometimes do, sometimes don't.

The straight fist and straight backfist punches I learned have no twist, no push and no snap back. I call these ballistic punches. The mass of the arm is thrown with the turning of the body and require minimal exertion of the arm, itself. The fist is supposed to be clenched upon impact and the rest is just the guidance system and arm extension. This is subjective, but it feels as if the active extension of the arm adds little to the force or, at least, it shouldn't be emphasized too strongly lest the punch become a push.

Other types of strikes rely heavily upon arm rotation and dragging the victim's soft tissues to cause pain and injury. These strikes are intentionally slower after impact. Examples would be rotating the arm during a "sou cheui" sweeping strike or rotating the fist and dragging the knuckle over targeted nerves with the phoenix eye strike.

The Hap Ga system also has a combination of these in which a straight punch makes contact in the first method and then the arm and trunk are tightened and the direction of the force is changed after the first impact--a really difficult technique but fun to practice.

TenTigers
06-15-2010, 10:52 PM
punches that push the opponent back allow him to dissipate the force. Impulse, or shock punches force the opponent to absorb the entire force.
When you twist the punch, it is at the end to;
prevent the elbow from raising.
tear at the surface-gloves tear the flesh, hence vasaline on the boxer;s face.
develop a double impact strike, one palm up, or vertical, the other turning over and digging inwards.
my two cents

YouKnowWho
06-16-2010, 01:13 AM
The twist can create "a big hole" on your opponent's face instead of just "2 little holes".

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1913/spikesring.jpg

uki
06-16-2010, 03:14 AM
i'm a fan of the ***** slap fist. :p

sanjuro_ronin
06-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Hey Guys,

I thought this may be an interesting question;

How do you guys use 'Impulse' during combat? In physics Impulse = Force * Time, So what I mean is for the short time that the fist is in actual contact with the opponent, do you add any thing?

I.e Do you add an extra bit of twist while you are in contact, do you turn the punch slightly as you continue through? Or is your punch fully formed and twisted before contact? There are lots of types of punches, some like to flick and stay in contact as short as possible, but those utilizing the effect of impulse are the ones I'm interested in.

Off course there is no best answer here and there are differences between gloved, non gloved, face and body but Im just asking as I'm really interested in what different people do?

Impulse, in terms of biomechanics, has nothing to do with "twisting" anything.
Impulse is, simply, the Kinetic energy transfered from a striek to it's target, the less time under contact, the more impulse- think a whip as opposed to a baseball bat.
The whip has more impulse, the bat more impact force.

David Jamieson
06-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Impulse is, simply, the Kinetic energy transfered from a striek to it's target, the less time under contact, the more impulse- think a whip as opposed to a baseball bat.

What about a bat on the end of a whip? And what if there was a 357 colt python built into the end of the bat? what then eh? what then!

SPJ
06-16-2010, 07:06 AM
in tong bei

1. there is a drilling fist. you actually open your palm, right before contact, you suddenly clench your fist. but you protrude middle or index finger. there is also a slight twist.

the purpose is to hit accu pressure points along the mid line of the chest and abdomen.

2. for the face, we use back hand to hit the nose or throwing palm shuai zhang or slapping

3. there is also tan zhang to hit the top of the head, some times it is also called pi zhang with fingers wide open.

4. five thunders hitting the top (head) (5 fingers with power)

you may use that on the face and pressure neck joint. (these are fatal, not to be used lightly)

---

SPJ
06-16-2010, 07:07 AM
1. twisting the waist
----

2. twisting the steps

nian bu is used to add more power in your punch in ba ji.

---

RenDaHai
06-16-2010, 08:31 AM

No has nothing to do with twisting, but impulse is force multiplied by time, so for example its the opposite of what you said, a baseball bat is a good example of impulse, the whip is very low impulse. The longer the contact the more impulse. The whip effect is actually a little more complicated. Any strike will have both parts to it, the whip effect will hurt the target area, the impulse will be applied to the whole body as a push, but when combined with the strike it can make all the difference.

Technically Impulse is defined as the total change of momentum dP, F=dP/dT, I={F dt
therefore I=dP. A whip is the opposite, it can cause immense pain without significant transfer of momentum. Basically we have a pushing power and a whipping power, how can we combine them together?

Thanks everyone for your answers,

uki
06-16-2010, 08:38 AM
twist the waist to twist the fist.

IronWeasel
06-16-2010, 09:00 AM
What about a bat on the end of a whip? And what if there was a 357 colt python built into the end of the bat? what then eh? what then!

Depends if your horse stance is right.

It might not be internal enough...

ManilaCrane
06-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Impulse on punchin someone in the face? hmmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPl8BeSN-s&feature=related

Lucas
06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
me like shovel punch

David Jamieson
06-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Impulse on punchin someone in the face? hmmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPl8BeSN-s&feature=related

odd that dude with the beard has a camel toe.

Lee Chiang Po
06-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Any sort of gouging or digging punch is not going to have real impact to it. And a follow through ends up being more of a shove. The most shock is transfered at impact and it is done. You should have your hand withdrawn immediately with no follow through and no additional gouging or digging. In a serious fight shock will knock someone out where otherwise you have to gouge away at him. Get it done. The longer the fight lasts, the more chance of you getting knocked out instead.

jdhowland
06-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Any sort of gouging or digging punch is not going to have real impact to it. And a follow through ends up being more of a shove. The most shock is transfered at impact and it is done. You should have your hand withdrawn immediately with no follow through and no additional gouging or digging. In a serious fight shock will knock someone out where otherwise you have to gouge away at him. Get it done. The longer the fight lasts, the more chance of you getting knocked out instead.

I agree with most of this, but the "shock" from a quick strike isn't the only reliable tactic. Gouging or "filing" can set up the opponent for following strikes. A simple example from my background is to strike with a regular punch, then without withdrawing the hand, convert to a filing stroke to cause your opponent to flinch and withdraw the trunk of the body. This often leaves the head and neck more extended and vulnerable to an elbow or a strike with the other hand.

These remain useful tactics. That's why they were preserved.

jdhowland
06-17-2010, 09:31 AM
me like shovel punch

Now you're talkin'! Incoherently, perhaps, but...

One of the best weapons in the arsenal.