PDA

View Full Version : Inner tube drill

bastion0
06-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Greetings,

Hi guys, first post :). I have heard about the inner tube drills that were developed by Jesse Glover to train forward pressure without a partner for chi sao and energy training, but i never have seen a picture, video or detailed information on how to do them, i was wondering if you have pictures, video or could elaborate on the details. Some years back I saw something posted about this by Sihing73, maybe he could repost and/or elaborate/share.

Thanks and god speed,
Sebastian.

Tom Kagan
06-18-2010, 01:23 PM
What's wrong with using a partner? If you don't have one, an inner tube isn't going to help much of anything.

bastion0
06-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I train with partners, but Im interested in the drills to do them when a partner is not available.

Wu Wei Wu
06-18-2010, 03:20 PM
The inner tube thing was developed by Jesse to supplement training. I think there are pictures in one of his books. You might find it useful just to get a resistance band, wrap it around back and arms and mimic the hand positions to see if it can be of use to you. Jesse doesn't teach classical sticking hands so the attributes we are trying to develop are a bit different from WC.

Hope this makes sense.

Suki

Sihing73
06-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Hello,

Sorry for the dealy in responding. Pictures can be found in Jesses books.

Simply put the inner tube is used to supplement trainng and to provide resistence for the muscles used in some of the Wing Chun techniques. In all cases you take a bicycle uinner tube and tie a knot in one end about 2/3's of the way down at one end forming a large loop and a small loop. There are three main drills which I remember;

1) Step your foot through the small loop keeping that end on the ground. Take your hand and place it through the other end and slowly press forward and slightly upward. Usually this is done with a Tuan like motion as it is very hard to do a Bong against this much pressure.

2) Hold the small loop in one hand and run the inner tube around the back and grasp the large lop with the other hand. Again press forward using a Taun and also a Bong type motion. With the Taun press forward and slightly upward. With the Bong press forward while rotating the arm from Taun to Bong Sao.

3) Place the large loop around your chest and back and place both hands through the loop, kind of forming a loop around each hand across the palms. In this position you press forward and rotate the hands from Taun to Bong positions. This would be the equal of double taun and double bong.

I hope my poor explanations can provide some assistance with understanding the drills. Again, these are not a substitute for Chi Sau and are really geared more for muscle developement. Remember, Jessie stressed a strong forward pressure in his application of what he was taught.

Wu Wei Wu
06-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Hi Sihing73,

When did you train at Jesse's?

Suki

Sihing73
06-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi Sihing73,

When did you train at Jesse's?

Suki

Hello,

I have not had the pleasure of training with Jesse directly. We did speak on the phone a number of years ago and I wish I had been able to contact him when I lived in Washington State.

I used to have some of his tapes and books and found the information to be useful. From our conversations, I found him to be knowledgeable and willing to share.

Wu Wei Wu
06-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Even though I train with Jesse, I would be cautious to set out what the inner tube stuff is for. Jesse does not do Wing Chun, he does Non-Classical Gung Fu, which is why it was implicit in my previous post that Bastion should use a process of experimentation to figure out how it can be of use to him.

However, if you wanted to see how it is used in NCGF, then go to the source material (Jesse's 3 books) or alternatively pay Jesse a visit.

Suki

bastion0
06-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Thank you very much guys, Im definitely gonna try these drills out. Wu Wei Wu Im really interested in NCGF, from what Ive seen of Jesse and some of his students like Pierre I must say WOW. Do you know where I can find his books available to buy online?, because Ive searched for them, but they are very hard to find.

Thanks and god speed,
Sebastian.

Sihing73
06-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Here are some links which may help:

http://www.nonclassicalgungfu.com/

Here is where you can find his books:

http://www.jesseglover.com/Jesse%20Glover%20Store/jesse_glover_store.html

Wu Wei Wu
06-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi Sebastian,

You may want to try contacting Steve Smith for Jesse's books and videos on http://www.thelittledojo.com/

Say hello from me.

Suki

bastion0
06-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys, Im gonna try Jesses and Steves sites and Ill let you know.

Thanks again and god speed,
Sebastian.