PDA

View Full Version : Steven Seagal & MMA

sihing
06-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Anderson Silva training with Steven Seagal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaVDFW_o1cA ,

just thought this was interesting, how could it be???

James

Wayfaring
06-21-2010, 04:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaVDFW_o1cA ,

just thought this was interesting, how could it be???

James

That looks like Black House there. Black House is I believe a LA private gym - Ed Soares who's the manager for a lot of top level fighters I believe set it up - it's an invite only gym where a lot of MMA fighters train, and I believe that it is becoming more popular among the Hollywood celebs, who get invites sometimes as well.

It used to be a Brazilian fight team, but now it's just an exclusive private MMA gym in LA.

I don't know why Anderson would be listening to Steven Seagal, but they're apparantly friends. I don't think Seagal is going to be doing a lot of MMA sparring with Anderson.

Dragonzbane76
06-21-2010, 05:25 AM
segal looking his age. Got a gut on him that's for sure.

sanjuro_ronin
06-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Kind of cool to see them together, when was this taken?
When one is presented with a diffretn kind of skill set than they are accustomed too, if they are smart, they can always pick up something worthwhile.

Frost
06-21-2010, 07:42 AM
does anyone actually know what skillset Segal has....i mean he looks ok in his films (well his early ones) but his only real fight as far as i know was him getting chocked out by an old man...from what i have read he married into the top ranks of aikido, made up his CIA creds and is hardly what one would call a good example of huam being

sanjuro_ronin
06-21-2010, 07:55 AM
does anyone actually know what skillset Segal has....i mean he looks ok in his films (well his early ones) but his only real fight as far as i know was him getting chocked out by an old man...from what i have read he married into the top ranks of aikido, made up his CIA creds and is hardly what one would call a good example of huam being

Aikido, 7th degree BB or something like that.
Also BB in karate, but don't recall what system.

Frost
06-21-2010, 07:57 AM

was that rankl earned or did he marry into it which i have read on here) and how do you rank his skills (you have a good eye and i believe have met him?

sanjuro_ronin
06-21-2010, 08:07 AM
was that rankl earned or did he marry into it which i have read on here) and how do you rank his skills (you have a good eye and i believe have met him?

Well, some have suggested he married into it, I don't know.
His Aikido is very good.
I met him a few times when he did some movies here, but can't comment on his skill on a personal level.
Some say he is a jerk others say he is a really good guy, which means he is probably like everyone else, a bit of both and sometimes more one than the other.
I learned Aikido under Kimeada Sensei here in Toronto, it wasn't my bag but Kimeada knows his stuff and he says Seagal is good so I take that for what it is worth.

Yao Sing
06-21-2010, 04:38 PM
OMG!! Looks like MMA is discovering Karate. Nothing there I haven't seen in the schools/styles I've studied. I wouldn't expect a world class fighter to be so amazed at seeing this stuff either.

m1k3
06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Actually Dana has been annoyed with Silva for his last couple of fights so as a punishment he is being forced to train with Seagal. :eek:

lkfmdc
06-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Seagal married into the dojo in Japan and the political connections, pretty much everyone agrees that (1) he is a jerk but (2) when he was in shape and younger he had a lot of very legit skills. Remember his first film above the law, a lot of the early footage is actually real stuff

jmd161
06-21-2010, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't expect a world class fighter to be so amazed at seeing this stuff either.

I would!

I think he's surprised because someone from a TMA is actually doing some things he can feel... Too many don't have a clue what they're doing much less how to actually apply it. I heard Segal has legit skill in Aikido and can use it, doesn't matter that he's gained weight.

Frost
06-22-2010, 02:14 AM
OMG!! Looks like MMA is discovering Karate. Nothing there I haven't seen in the schools/styles I've studied. I wouldn't expect a world class fighter to be so amazed at seeing this stuff either.

lol hes being polite:)

sanjuro_ronin
06-22-2010, 05:29 AM
Seagal married into the dojo in Japan and the political connections, pretty much everyone agrees that (1) he is a jerk but (2) when he was in shape and younger he had a lot of very legit skills. Remember his first film above the law, a lot of the early footage is actually real stuff

Pretty much sums it up.
The few times we have spoken he was a nice guy, the usual soft spoken voice of his.
I think that it depends on what "moon" you get him and WHO you are.
We met through a mutual friend and he seemed cool.
I haven't seen him in action outside of the movies and such, but he is one big mofu no gray area there.
His sword work is quite good and we spoke mostly about that to be honest.
He has high regard for Kyokushin and Judo and hung Kuen.

lkfmdc
06-22-2010, 06:30 AM
Pretty much sums it up.
The few times we have spoken he was a nice guy, the usual soft spoken voice of his.
I think that it depends on what "moon" you get him and WHO you are.
We met through a mutual friend and he seemed cool.
I haven't seen him in action outside of the movies and such, but he is one big mofu no gray area there.
His sword work is quite good and we spoke mostly about that to be honest.
He has high regard for Kyokushin and Judo and hung Kuen.

I know people who directly trained with him, he does a very aggressive style of aikido with practical application, and a LOT of hard contact. He also cross trained both in Japan and here in the US....

sanjuro_ronin
06-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Sound about right, I did some stuff with one of his students and he put me on my ass more times than I care to admit :D
As for being an ass, well, to be honest, I think of ALL the MA I know, the vast majority ARE ASSES and of all the old school guys I know, ALL of them are.

SanHeChuan
06-22-2010, 07:45 AM
To punch someone full on in the face you'd have to be. ;)

lkfmdc
06-22-2010, 12:12 PM
As for being an ass, well, to be honest, I think of ALL the MA I know, the vast majority ARE ASSES and of all the old school guys I know, ALL of them are.

what are you saying about me then!

sanjuro_ronin
06-22-2010, 12:19 PM
what are you saying about me then!

You are an ass, but I KNOW that CTS was an even bigger one, I know the type.

Lucas
06-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Some cheesy stuff there but also some good footage, i forget the name, but htere is a Seagal um docutmentary or something out there. its an hour or so long but some good footage.

just skip past all the people worshiping seagal and ur good.

Lucas
06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
aha! here it is.

for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQKtarTgPWU

Dragonzbane76
06-22-2010, 03:31 PM
not bad... like someone said above if you can't get over the worship of segal it has some nuggets.

We had the same drill in our school and did it religiously for fighting 3 people. You started in a corner and fought your way out and the key was not to go to the ground but get away... Always liked that drill.

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2010, 05:58 AM
aha! here it is.

for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQKtarTgPWU

That is a key drill in Aikido, it demonstrates if you have truly grasped the circular footwork and evasive principles of Aikido, it isn't about fighting back per say, but how long you can keep them from getting a hold of you and stopping your ability to move.
A great drill for ANY MA.

Yao Sing
06-23-2010, 01:02 PM
At about 3:40 into part 2 of the Seagal video is the deadly chin jab discussed in the main forum. Just thought I'd point that out.

SevenStar
06-26-2010, 09:22 AM
seagal has a house in my city. I actually interviewed hiim a few years ago - wanted to publish it in kfm, but the interview didn't go the direction I planned it to go. Anyhoo, that said, I know guys in the area who train with him we he comes to town, and from what they say, his skills are definitely legit, and his teacher is apparently top notch as well. Coincidentally, someone mentioned to me last night that silva was training with seagal, then I log in and see this.

blj_swmo
08-04-2010, 08:48 PM
BB in Shotokan and he also studied at Ark Wong's for 3 yrs... O' and he later trained in Arnis/Escrima for a couple of years when he lived in NM.

GeneChing
08-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Anderson Silva (http://www.tatame.com/2010/08/11/Anderson-Silva)
Wednesday 11th of August 2010 10:39 AM By Guilherme Cruz

UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva suffered for the first time on the American octagon. After being pounded for four rounds, the Brazilian managed to fit a triangle out of nowhere and submitted Sonnen, keeping himself on the top of the division. Before coming back to Brazil, Anderson talked to TATAME and analyzed his fight, complimented Sonnen’s performance, revealed he had promised a submission to Rodrigo Minotauro and criticized the jokes about Steven Seagal.

What did you think of your win over Chael Sonnen?

Well, there’s not much to talk about. It’s over and now I have to think about my next bout. It was a good fight, it was different than we all expected. Everybody is used to see Anderson winning every time he fights, without being at risk in any time, but it was good, that made me stronger. We trained a lot, we trained different situations and, thanks God, everything we’ve been working on the trainings work out just fine during the fight. This time, Jiu-Jitsu was my priority and thanks Gods it worked out. We have to thank everybody that helped me train, to my coaches and God.

Many people did not expect things would go this way… What did you expected?

Oh, I had some trouble on moving because I had my rib injured. I hurt my rib three weeks before the fight, broke it with (Satoshi) Ishii, a friend of Lyoto (Machida) that came from Japan to train with us and I was training with him and, due to a move I did, I got it injured. I went to the doctor and he said I should not fight because it was not that serious at that time, but things could get worse during the fight, but thanks God, it worked out. I believe that everything we’ve planned to this fight turned out true.

He’s a guy who likes to take his opponents down and work on the ground and pound, punching mainly the ribs. Do you think this game plan that he has made it harder for you, due to your rib’s injury?

That made it a little harder, because I couldn’t move as fast as I usually do... But he’s to be congratulated, he did a great fight… It was a huge fight. I believe that for the both of us it was very nice and it was a good fight for people to what.

On the fifth round you slipped and he dominated you again, as he had done in all four previous rounds. At any moment did you thought it was it, since he managed to use quite well his ground and pound came during the previous 20 minutes?

No. actually, I had some good opportunities while standing, but I couldn’t use them as I wish because I was injured. We trained a lot the movements of the stand-up game, with the coaches standing, but I only hit him few times. On the ground, I believe everything worked out just fine… I wanted to thank Rodrigo (Minotauro), Rogério (Minotouro), (Rafael) Feijão, André Galvão, (Ronaldo) Jacaré, Ramon (Lemos) and all the guys that helped us. We always have to rethink about our concepts about things so we can know what we can improve and what we can’t and I’m always trying to get better on what I have more difficulties, which is the ground game and that was something which helped me a lot so I could bring this win home. You have to train, keep training and move on.

Do you think this was the biggest fight of your life?

No. I can tell you that my fight is my last one, it’s always the last one I did. This was a hard one, just like all others, like the ones that will still come. One day, when I have fought for the last time in my career, you can ask me and I’ll tell you which one was the hardest.

During the fight, the fans joked, via Twitter, saying that Steven Seagal was some kind of MMA’s Mick Jagger …

It’s a bad joke, he’s a great master and a great coach who was there with me, helped me all the time a lot. On the beginning of my trainings, we showed me some techniques which worked out and he deserves the respect of all of us. He’s a great master and a good person. I believe people have to respect him.

Your win seemed like a Hollywood movie, on which he “hero” suffers for most of the time and win in the end…

Yeah, man. Actually, it all happened as it should do, but the biggest prompter of all this is God, he’s the biggest responsible for all of it, I’m just his instrument. This fight was good not for the fight’s world, but to people in general. We should never give up on our dreams, we should never give up on our goals. I believe it was a lesson to those who’s been fighting, but also for everyone that was there, for those who had a hard time and are almost giving up on something. I believe it was a great message and the real purpose of the sport. I played God’s servant in there to show this to people, to encourage them not to give up, to never give up, to always believe and make things happen.

This time the event has been broadcasted to Brazil on the channel SporTV. How do you feel, being one of the main characters of this new movement of MMA in Brazil, when MMA was watched but a remarkable number of people and also has commented in different kinds of media which did not give the sport some space before?

I’m very happy. It’s like I said: I believe that, if it happened, it was a good thing for people to get to know it better. Saying like this, it seems that I’m making some kind of propaganda to the Church of some religion, but that’s not it… It’s just like I feel it, I think that the overcoming process, that thing of being a Brazilian and being there and I said it in some interviews before, on which they’ve asked me what I thought about Sonnen’s comments about Rodrigo and all… I can say and I’d like that you published it on the magazine so that everyone can read it: he spoke about the wrong person. He could have said anything about anyone, but he chose the wrong guy to talk about, in any matter. He talked about people he couldn’t have. I entered there wearing a kimono in a tribute to Rodrigo and, before the fight, I told him: “Rodrigo, I’ll get this guy because it’s a matter of honor to me, as your black-belt, to catch this guy”. Thanks God, I went there and caught him.

Everything went right and I believe that Jiu-Jitsu’s community is to be congratulated, Jiu-Jitsu saved me and that’s what I train the most, I always train with the gi, my student help me a lot, like Ramon from Atos, who also is to be congratulated and all the athletes who helped me. I think it’s very great the Jiu-Jitsu that we, Brazilians, have, the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which is a part of all of us and I’d also like to thank all the black belts who made history inside MMA and on our sport, because this we can call ours and I feel honored of being a black belt on a martial art which is as efficient as any other, both standing and on the ground. I’m a black belt on Muay Thai, but I also hold a black belt of Jiu-Jitsu and, on Saturday, what moved me and gave me the strength to win was all I’ve learned from Jiu-Jitsu in all those years, during all this time.

What is the next step: a rematch with Sonnen, a fight with Vitor Belfort or taking care of your rib?

The first thing I’ll do is to heal my rib, take care of myself and see how things work. DanDan is a student of mine who will fight next weekend, so I’ll help him and also Mário (Miranda), who will fight on the next UFC’s edition, so let’s move on. Let’s take care of this injury and, when I’m ready to comeback, I’ll come back to give the Brazilians and all fans of MMA more happiness.

Mário has been helping you a lot on your trainings. How do you think this fight between him and Demian Maia will be like?

It’s a tough fight, it’s complicated… Demian is Brazilian, so does he. We always want the Brazilians to win, but Mário is my training partner, we trained together and we’ll try to help him in everything we can so that he can win this fight. Independently of its result, both will be prepared. I believe that Demian will be prepared and so will Mário and I hope it’s a good fight and I hope that the best wins. Whoever is better trained should win and we’ll do our best so that Mário can impose his own rhythm, but I want the best to win, and that’s what’s the most important thing.

Do you want to leave a message for your fans who stayed up all night cheering for you, until you fit that triangle and saved the night?

A triangle and an arm bar, Minotauro style (laughs). Well, first of all I’d like to thank God. He’s the best, He’s a supreme being, there’s no other way… I’d like to thank all the people that cheers for me, and also the ones that make constructive critics so I can improve… I’m getting better each time, but I’m a human being just like anybody else. I make some mistakes, I make some things right, I’m evolving… I think that, once again, what I could show people is how I am, who I am, where I came from and that’s it. I’d like to thank all of you, you guys from the magazine, you that try to get what we really think and say it to people clearly so that they can understand us a little better. Let’s go… Brazil on my head and heart.

If I were Anderson Silva, I'd start hanging out with Seagal and other MA film stars to break into movies right about now.

Dragonzbane76
08-18-2010, 10:11 AM
I like how he dodged the question about the rematch.... I don't think he wants anything to do with Sonnen now. He'll probably try to put as much distance as he can between them.

GeneChing
12-04-2012, 10:37 AM
I just changed the title from "Anderson Silva training with Steven Seagal" to "Steven Seagal & MMA" I anticipate it running parallel to our Seagal is at it again thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37259), although I think his presence in MMA is fascinating. Case and point - the following news item.

Steven Seagal says he would fight Randy Couture “any time, any place” (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2012/12/steven-seagal-wants-to-fight-randy-couture)
12.04.12 Written by Vince Mancini

Intrepid MMA reporter and my best Twitter pal Ariel Helwani had the chance to interview Steven Seagal yesterday, and as always, the old poonani-loving, Nobel Prize-deserving, sleeveless kimono-wearing, front-kicking, chicken killer did not disappoint (I meant Seagal there, in case that was unclear). First, he made sure to point out that welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre is good, but not great, which I’m sure has nothing to do with the fact that GSP’s action movie star to humor du jour is Van Damme, while Seagal himself has long been humored by middleweight champ Anderson Silva, who may fight GSP at some point in the nearish future, in the MMA equivalent of Pacquiao-Mayweather. (With Van Damme and Seagal in their respective corners to help stretch their groins and execute proper karate kicks, I’m sure).

“I think [GSP] is a really nice guy,” said Seagal. “I think he is a good fighter and a good martial artist. Would I call him great? No.
“One of the things that a master looks at when they look at a fighter is the history of the fighter. When you look at the history of the fighter, you look at their very best fights, their best work, and their worst. If you look at Anderson’s worst fights, they’re not bad. He still looks pretty good.”
“If you look at GSP’s worst fight, you look at the thing he did with Shields in Canada, that was atrocious. I think that is very telling. I just didn’t think the technique and the fighting skill was there in that instance. I also saw him after the fight and he wasn’t looking or feeling very well either, which does have some meaning. I think he got hurt in that fight and whether he dominated him or not, I just didn’t think he looked good.”

Silva had two atrocious fights against Thales Leites and Demian Maia, and almost got wrestle-f*cked to a decision against Sonnen, so that’s just stupid. But as crappy as Seagal’s logic is, I wouldn’t argue that GSP is on the same level as Silva either. Also, I’ve buried the lede: Seagal also says he’s willing to fight retired former light-heavy and heavyweight champ (and budding action star) Randy Couture “any time, any place.” Oh pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease, Dana White make this happen, this would be the best Christmas present EVER:

Seagal, or ‘Fritão’ as he known among his fighting Brazilian brothers, also said he would fight UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture.

My Portuguese is a little rusty, but I believe ‘Fritão’ translates loosely as “one who loves Fritos.”

Couture recently quipped that he would stay retired, “unless Seagal wants to sign up.”
The 60-year-old Seagal is willing to accept the challenge.
“I have to wonder what his intentions may have been in saying that,” said Seagal. “I always thought that Randy was my friend and a gentleman. I’m kind of confused why he would say that, but I’m here, anybody can find me any time and any place. If Randy really wants to fight me, he can fight me any time he wants”
“It would be for free, and it would be some place where there are no witnesses. I’m hoping it wouldn’t get to that, and I don’t know why it would come about, but if that’s what he wants, he can get it any time he wants.”
“I don’t play by the rules. I’m sure one person will walk out. I’m a man of honor. I’m a gentleman, but I am a warrior, and if he needs to find me, he knows where to find me.” [MMA Fighting, Transcribed via MMA.tv]

Oh yeah, of course he would only do it if there were “no witnesses.” Once the UFC started, it basically forced every martial arts teacher to put their money where their mouths were, and the ones who mostly taught a lot of impractical hocus pocus sort of fell by the wayside. But every once in a while, you still find one of these older guys too attached to whatever voodoo they’ve sold their whole lives to adapt. So now the excuse is, “oh, what I teach is still the best, it’s just that I can’t actually teach you many of my techniques because they’re too lethal.”

What would even be his justification for no witnesses? That’s like saying, “yeah, I’ll take a lie detector test, but only if you promise not to look at the results.”

“Look, I’m a gentleman and a man of honor, and if I have to fight Randy Couture, I’ll murder him in an alley where no one can see.”

Another sticking point is that when Steven Seagal says “any time, any place,” it literally could mean any time or place. Like Mars in the Middle Ages. Seagal doesn’t keep track of that stuff too well.

sanjuro_ronin
12-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Another sticking point is that when Steven Seagal says “any time, any place,” it literally could mean any time or place. Like Mars in the Middle Ages. Seagal doesn’t keep track of that stuff too well.

Pure gold !

Syn7
12-04-2012, 03:06 PM
I think Couture could beat him within an inch of his life in the cage. With that rule set and no weapons or obstacles, not a chance. :rolleyes: Like not even a little bit. A punchers chance is all he would have and it wouldnt last long because he would be on his back or being ****kicked on the cage the whole time. I would love to see it tho. Its always nice to watch a corrupt cop get his ass handed to him for opening his cumdumpster too much.

There is just SO much wrong with what he says. He acts like he can hang. Of course people like Silva give him props, its good PR. But its not like the man actually developed anything new about a front kick. And I find it very hard to believe the Silva wasnt already good at that kick years ago. At best Segal taught team Nogiera some new entry variations from stances they simply dont use. Thats like me standing with my ankles together and doing a front kick and then saying its new because Ive never seen anyone kick from this stance before. :rolleyes:

Napitenkah
12-05-2012, 04:49 AM
Seagal has been talking and challenging people since the early nineties, but he goes missing when they actually make a date.

Still, Couture is not a martial artist, and if they did fight, Couture would get beaten in any number of ways he would never imagine.

Let us not forget he got knocked out by a basic front kick, that he called a "
weird kick" in an interview, by Lyoto, who also got some instruction on it from Seagal.

Robinhood
12-05-2012, 11:02 AM
There is a difference between a brawler that works within a rule set, and someone with real skill that is not dependent on physical conditioning to apply his strategies. Unfortunately most people don't have skill so they does recognize it when they see it, and if they are smart enough, they will recognize when they experience it, like Silva and Machida did.

sanjuro_ronin
12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
I met the man years ago, he knows his **** and can fight.
Can he beat a professional fighter?
Probably not ( there is always a "punchers chance" and Seagal has heavy hands).

GeneChing
12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
It was very auspicious - on 6/6/6. I'll never forget that. I told you all about it as it happened on the 6-6-6 thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41575).

sanjuro_ronin
12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
It was very auspicious - on 6/6/6. I'll never forget that. I told you all about it as it happened on the 6-6-6 thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41575).

Old dusty thread alert !!

GeneChing
12-05-2012, 02:33 PM
I beg to differ (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64922).