PDA

View Full Version : new form of extreme training

uki
06-21-2010, 07:16 AM
musing over the endless variations of probability/possibility today and i caught the idea of using a big canoe/boat that had been fitted with posts/stakes... perhaps a floating donut shaped boat with uprights for a more dynamic circle walk??? any other suggestions?? this could be the newest fad of training right here... somebody better go off and capitalize on patenting the idea. whoa... extreme white water rafting - circle walking/form work on a large raft retro-fitted with poles to walk on while taking a trip down the local rapids... while juggling... re-defining traditional training.

hehehehe. :p

Dragonzbane76
06-21-2010, 07:19 AM
you come up with some crazy crap... :p:D

RenDaHai
06-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Nice. The closest I can think of is an old Shaolin training method, where they would create a huge bowl (massive) and fill it with water. Then they would walk on the thin edge of the bowl in a circle. Gradually over the months they would empty water out of the bowl, making it lighter and thus more unstable. This made the walker take sturdier yet lighter steps.

uki
06-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Nice. The closest I can think of is an old Shaolin training method.shaolin is progressive - it adapts to the changing of the times. :)

Scott R. Brown
06-21-2010, 09:34 AM
When I was younger I was quite adept at walking a slack rope. It was actually a metal cable between to log posts used to set the boundary between the parking lot and the pedestrian area of a school. I could walk the length and back frontwards and backwards (perhaps 20-30 feet) and sway on it etc. Even stand on one foot.!!

jdhowland
06-22-2010, 01:02 PM
When I was younger I was quite adept at walking a slack rope. It was actually a metal cable between to log posts used to set the boundary between the parking lot and the pedestrian area of a school. I could walk the length and back frontwards and backwards (perhaps 20-30 feet) and sway on it etc. Even stand on one foot.!!

That's good. I could make only 5 or 6 steps on those. Logging chains are even harder. Taught cables are easy.

Here's one to try: do your stances and circle walking on a sheet of plywood supported on the shoulders of 4 to 6 slaves (or students/training partners if you have them). As they get tired they'll shift around a bit.

When I was doing lion dance in San Fran my sifu had the head player jump up onto a carpeted sheet of 4'X4' plywood held by 4 students. The lion would continue to dance while the platform was carried through the park over uneven ground. It was harder to coordinate steps under the platform than it was to balance on top.

jdhowland
06-22-2010, 01:09 PM
musing over the endless variations of probability/possibility today and i caught the idea of using a big canoe/boat that had been fitted with posts/stakes... perhaps a floating donut shaped boat with uprights for a more dynamic circle walk??? any other suggestions?? ...

When I lived in Hawaii I adopted a native training device for developing good stances and proprioception.

It's called a surfboard.

MasterKiller
06-22-2010, 01:44 PM
shaolin is progressive - it adapts to the changing of the times. :)

If you practice mostly Bagua, why do you keep referring to youself as Shaolin?

uki
06-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Here's one to try: do your stances and circle walking on a sheet of plywood supported on the shoulders of 4 to 6 slaves (or students/training partners if you have them). As they get tired they'll shift around a bit.

When I was doing lion dance in San Fran my sifu had the head player jump up onto a carpeted sheet of 4'X4' plywood held by 4 students. The lion would continue to dance while the platform was carried through the park over uneven ground. It was harder to coordinate steps under the platform than it was to balance on top.now those slaves/students/friends can each be walking on a circle of stakes while supporting the plywood. :D

If you practice mostly Bagua, why do you keep referring to youself as Shaolin?LOL ;)