PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts after 50

mig
06-21-2010, 09:37 AM
I was wondering if I can find some hints or advise regarding training, nutrition and building muscle in martial arts after 50. Have about 10 forms, good flexibility but was wondering if any had some suggestions on this.

Thanks,

Mig

mooyingmantis
06-21-2010, 02:08 PM
mig,

I am 52 and have been training in MA for 42 years, plus bodybuilding for about 18 years.
We aren't kids anymore. Stretch more, damage less, play it safer. We heal soooo sloooow now. Better to lighten up the training than be unable to train for weeks or months due to injury.
I still train daily, but due to arthritis and spinal disc (L4 & L5) problems I can't train as hard as I used to.
In my bodybuilding, I emphasize less weight and more reps. I add weights very slowly. When I can do 4 sets of 10 reps I move up 5 pounds. Yeah, this is really slow and conservative, but I learned to do this the hard way (painful injuries).
I can't ever see an end to my training, even if someday it could be from a wheelchair. :)
Good luck bro!

Richard A. Tolson

SAAMAG
06-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, you have to be more careful because injuries will be more common and take longer to heal.

Nutrition should be pretty much what is known to be a commonly proper diet. Get a little of everything--proteins, carbs, fruits and veggies. Take supplements on areas that you're deficient on.

Forms = cardio. Having more of them will keep things less monotonous. But what sort of suggestions are looking for in regards to the forms?

At 33 years of age I've been noticing that my body needs more rest time. I take about a day off a week where I do nothing...no martial arts or conditioning. But sometimes that's not enough rest I think. I can't imagine what it will be like when I'm 50. I know that for certain I'll have to cut down any full contact type stuff probably, but maybe Phil Redmond and some others can give some suggestions there.

I've already got some seemingly permanent little injuries. Just developed another weird thing in my foot where it seems like a bone spur, but on top of my instep?! I don't even kick with that part of my foot really...but it won't go away and feels like a bruise of sorts...moves around and all that.

So in summation, my suggestion is to workout and enjoy yourself. The diabetes diet is a great diet regardless of whether you suffer from diabetes or not. Workout to your hearts content but listen to your body's messages. Rest time is just as important as workout time.

Lee Chiang Po
06-21-2010, 03:55 PM
At 52, your body is about as developed as it is going to be. All you really need is to keep it lith and flexable. I am 65, and I have no fantasies about my physical abilities. I bought myself a TOTAL GYM, Like Chucky's, and must say, it keeps me feeling like I am in good shape. Good cardio, and good physical workout. My gung fu does not require me to be superman or a 15 year old to do it. It has been 55 years now since I started me initial training, so I am probably as good as will ever get. I just don't train any more.

Chief_Suicide
06-22-2010, 04:31 AM
I've noticed differences since I turned 37. It is not as easy and it seems that sleep is far more important.

If I get plenty of sleep, it makes up for a lot. I've noticed cutting most sugar out of my diet has increased my energy levels. I'm sore all the time. I seems I can never train my legs enough to get rid of the soreness for more than a day or so.

Not complaining though, I'm glad I can still move around.

sanjuro_ronin
06-22-2010, 06:04 AM
Strength training is very crucial as you get older, load bearing exercises strengthen your bones, enough said eh?
Take Richards advice and take it slow with the increase in weight when doing them.
Cardio is one of the easiest things to maintain into old age, flexibility tends to be the hardest but you only have to be as flexible as you need to be.
A balanced regime of Strength training, cardio and flexiblilty is easy to maintain the tricky part is explosive training and "power", I suggest only one workout per week for them since you need more recovery time, perhaps the last or second last workout of the week.

TenTigers
06-22-2010, 08:17 AM
I think finding the proper schedule that allows me to train, develop as well as recover is the hardest. And after 50, depending on how hard I work myself, I need a few recovery days.
Just this last weekend, I was sheetrocking my school. I worked from 9am till 10 pm. Last night was my weight training day, and I prepared to train, and then the realization hit me. I'm sore, I'm tired. If I push it, I'm gonna pay dearly for this. So instead, I actually got to bed at a decent hour and slept in this morning.
I feel refreshed, revitalized and ready.
I think I'm getting smarter in my old age...finally

mickey
06-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Greetings,

A similar thread was posted last year. It was pretty good. Now, where is it?

mickey

TenTigers
06-22-2010, 08:55 AM
I dunno. In my old age, my memory isn't what it used to be....

solo1
06-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Like mickey said there was post on this last year that was pretty good. I started KF a couple of years ago and I just turned 50. I spent the previous years running long distance,marathons and further but the years and the mileage starting taking its toll, and i think I burned out from the tedium. Starting KF was the best decision i ever made. I have a profoundly good Master and excellant teachers who really push each person based on thier abilities and willingness.
I am very flexible and work hard to maintain it but my learning curve is steeper then younger guys so I'm slower to "get" a concept and have to work harder then some of the younger guys to get the same result. But it comes in time. Part of it may be I have a wife and kids, i run a business and have other outside life issues that drag on you while most of the guys i train with are single. Go slow is the key, younger students will be able to accomplish more gymnastic efforts with ease, you may not but give it time youll get there. Be patient, be dedicated and its a marathon not a sprint.

TenTigers
06-22-2010, 11:13 AM
I think I'm getting smarter in my old age...finally

ok, I need to retract that statement.
So..this afternoon class I decide to do wu-shu line drills. They are great training, developing flexibility, stretching the muscles and tendons,and posture.
So far, everything went smoothly-stretch up front kicks, stretch up front kicks to the side, front slap kicks, scissor stance into side thrust kicks, inside crscent slaps, outside crescent slaps, so far, so good.
My little voice told me to stop andstretch. especially since I have a nagging inguinal strain....but, no..
Then I got the great idea to work on jumps.
So we did a few of those shuffle, kick your foot things, and then I told them about a leap and half turn, landing with yuor feet together.
I mentioned that when we used to do these ("used to" as in when I was fukin younger...) you can get alot of air and it feels really good and fun.
That said, I did one.
Ok, it was more like half of one, becuase 'mid-flight,' a gut-wrenching pain tore through my inner thigh, about three inches down from the groin. If you take a rope and make a loop by twisting it, and then pull-that's what it felt like happened.
Ok, so I'm lying on the floor...and now I start to feel through movement, what is going on. I definately pulled or spasmed something, but it didn't feel like a pull or tear.
ok, so now I go through very easy, slow stretching to feel what's going on...should've just rested...Rest first!!! then later-LATER light stretching.
I should know this. I DO know this. I tell my students this all the time. Must've had a TIA or something and momentarally lost my mind....
So I lie on my back, knees up and slowly open my thighs...
BAM! it felt like someone jabbed a searing hot poker in my thigh. I let out a scream/groan/gag. That fukin hurt!
No, I mean that really fukin hurt.

So here comes the part where I tell myself,
"Rik, you're 53 yrs old fer chrissakes. What the hell were you thinking?"
followed by my Sifu saying,
followed by my training brother saying,
followed by my SJ teacher saying,
followed by....
So I am going to take a hot shower-don't have a tub. Apply moist heat, jow, and call the Chinese doctor.
who will no doubt say,
"Ah-Lik, you're 53 yrs old fer chrissakes. What the hell were you thinking?"
I am totally fuked up....
There goes my plans for my summer get back into the best shape of my life workout...

Great. The cycle shop just called and my bike's ready for pick-up.
What next? I suppose Lucy Liu is gonna show up at my door in that leather catsuit...

(sigh)

sanjuro_ronin
06-22-2010, 11:25 AM
BBBWWWAAAHHHHHH !!!!
You p-uss-y !!!

TenTigers
06-22-2010, 11:29 AM
you shut up. It hurts. I hate you.:p

sanjuro_ronin
06-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Old people like you should be in the corner somewhere doing "post standing", LMAO !!!

TenTigers
06-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I can't. It hurts to stand....
oh, and did I mention? Fuk you. ;-p

(whippersnapper!)

sanjuro_ronin
06-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Ah, don't feel too bad, as an old time you have the comfort knowing that you will never get this:
http://www.urucumbrasil.com/web/published/publicdata/URUCUM/attachments/SC/products_pictures/Ref5033%20-%20Kit%20Novi%C3%A7a_enl.jpg

TenTigers
06-22-2010, 12:11 PM
ya see? That is the reason, much to the dismay of my mom, that I never dated Jewish women.

TenTigers
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
it's not like I can say, "Hey Sanjuro, ya got any hot pics of a Hassidic chick, with her wig off and a frumpy dress (maybe slit up the side) and those black orthopedic shoes they wear? Maybe a cool pick of her through the hole in the sheet..." nope. not happening...I'll stick with the goyem.

taai gihk yahn
06-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Dominus ominus!!!

sanjuro_ronin
06-22-2010, 12:23 PM
:D
http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/sexy_burqa.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Holy Moses !
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mXOJsfJyd74/SWImqLS7rlI/AAAAAAAABk4/cfdhbfbSsIo/s400/My+babe.jpg

chusauli
06-22-2010, 04:28 PM
ok, I need to retract that statement.
So..this afternoon class I decide to do wu-shu line drills. They are great training, developing flexibility, stretching the muscles and tendons,and posture.
So far, everything went smoothly-stretch up front kicks, stretch up front kicks to the side, front slap kicks, scissor stance into side thrust kicks, inside crscent slaps, outside crescent slaps, so far, so good.
My little voice told me to stop andstretch. especially since I have a nagging inguinal strain....but, no..
Then I got the great idea to work on jumps.
So we did a few of those shuffle, kick your foot things, and then I told them about a leap and half turn, landing with yuor feet together.
I mentioned that when we used to do these ("used to" as in when I was fukin younger...) you can get alot of air and it feels really good and fun.
That said, I did one.
Ok, it was more like half of one, becuase 'mid-flight,' a gut-wrenching pain tore through my inner thigh, about three inches down from the groin. If you take a rope and make a loop by twisting it, and then pull-that's what it felt like happened.
Ok, so I'm lying on the floor...and now I start to feel through movement, what is going on. I definately pulled or spasmed something, but it didn't feel like a pull or tear.
ok, so now I go through very easy, slow stretching to feel what's going on...should've just rested...Rest first!!! then later-LATER light stretching.
I should know this. I DO know this. I tell my students this all the time. Must've had a TIA or something and momentarally lost my mind....
So I lie on my back, knees up and slowly open my thighs...
BAM! it felt like someone jabbed a searing hot poker in my thigh. I let out a scream/groan/gag. That fukin hurt!
No, I mean that really fukin hurt.

So here comes the part where I tell myself,
followed by my Sifu saying,
followed by my training brother saying,
followed by my SJ teacher saying,
followed by....
So I am going to take a hot shower-don't have a tub. Apply moist heat, jow, and call the Chinese doctor.
who will no doubt say,
"Ah-Lik, you're 53 yrs old fer chrissakes. What the hell were you thinking?"
I am totally fuked up....
There goes my plans for my summer get back into the best shape of my life workout...

Great. The cycle shop just called and my bike's ready for pick-up.
What next? I suppose Lucy Liu is gonna show up at my door in that leather catsuit...

(sigh)

Lik,

I only gonna say dis once to you...

Ah Lik, you're 53 yrs old fer chrissakes. What the hell were you thinking?!

LOL!

Now you have the LA Chinese doctor telling you! LOL!

mickey
06-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Greetings,

sanjuro ronin.

I can tell, just from looking at those pictures, that you have an incredible grip.

mickey

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Greetings,

sanjuro ronin.

I can tell, just from looking at those pictures, that you have an incredible grip.

mickey

Don't hate Muffin :D

mickey
06-23-2010, 07:36 AM
sanjuro ronin,

Who is the lady in the red scarf? She is most definitely hott!!

mickey

Wait a minute, is that Lil Kim?

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2010, 07:39 AM
sanjuro ronin,

Who is the lady in the red scarf? She is most definitely hott!!

mickey

Wait a minute, is that Lil Kim?

I don't know, as for Lil' Kim, I don't think she has light eyes like her, does she?

mickey
06-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Hi,

I think that is Lil Kim before she did major surgery to her face. She was prone to wearng blue contacts. She really did look amazingly good before she went under the knife. Those may have been her first implants.

mickey

David Jamieson
06-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm pretty sure this is lil'kim

http://blog.jinbo.net/files1/33/CINA/images/200502/080158289.jpg

mickey
06-23-2010, 10:38 AM
WELCOME BACK DAVID JAMIESON!!!

For the past few months your words contained such barbs that I was starting to worry about you. And all it took was a photo of Lil Kim to bring you back. Go figure.

mickey

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2010, 10:42 AM
She does like to make a statement, doesn't she?
http://iset.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/hardcore04.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2010, 10:46 AM
By the way, you are right, the burqa babe was little kim.

mickey
06-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Good Gosh!!

I'm weak.

Lil Kim in animal print. Getting weaker.....fast!!

Let me tellya, I totally miss the before major surgery look.

mickey

mig
06-25-2010, 10:06 PM
All right fellows I guess our age take a toll when it comes chicks but that's another thread to explore. Many thanks for those who are about the same generation and may have those curiosity in keeping our bodies in shape and understanding better martial arts. Now, here is my case and feel free to talk about. I lost about 20 lbs and now recovering I am 180 lbs. 6 ft. tall and trying to build muscle, strenght. I think I got the picture of my daily routine workout, forms and qigong but I am facing a problem with nutrition. Any suggestion about nutrition to build muscle knowing that cholesterol may hurt and that too much pasta will end in my belly.

Thanks a bunch,

Mig

TenTigers
06-26-2010, 05:16 AM
as you know, your requirements for protien is higher than a sedentary individual. Your need to feed, fuel, and rebuild and recovery need to be taken into account.
eggs are an amazing source of protien and are very cheap.(whites are pure protien, but yolks also have choline) I make my eggs with a zero trans fat spread or spray. (ketchup mixed with tabasco's chipolte sauce is amazing on eggs, I never get sick of it, or Mrs. Renfro's green salsa, really good stuff)
Fish, chicken,turkey, lean meats, venison, (I actually don't eat much turkey-the tryptophan puts me to sleep)
I like to take baby spinach,broccolli slaw (they sell it in the supermarkets-very crunchy) and throw a can of tuna in. I use Ken's Steakhouse lite Ceasare dressing.
Make sure you get adequate fiber and water. Fruit, vegies, ( you can buy those steam in the bag vegies-throw in some zero trans fat spread and a sprinkle of garlic and you're eating real food, not rabbitt food) whole grains-(now they sell bread with double protien, double fiber, omega threes, etc great choices) . Lots of water. water flushes, lubricates, replenishes, keeps you functioning.

Muscle Milk light has 30 grams of protien and is lactose free, and it doesn't weigh you down like some shakes

do some research on your amino acids. BCCA's, leucine, l-glutamine etc.
They aid in recovery.
Speaking of recovery-sleep.
I cannot stress the importance of adequate sleep. It not only allows the mind to recover, but the biody as well. Recovery comes from sleep-real sleep, not cat-naps or power naps.
You look at someone who shows age and weight gain-ask them their sleep habits and guaranteed, they have poor sleep.

mickey
06-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Greetings,

I apologize for the digression.

What Ten Tigers has shared has been on point.

If you are not into eggs, I suggest that you get some lecithin granules and mix it with some juice. Or you can get those fruits that are high in essential fatty acids.

A couple of days ago, I went through a really grueling workout. The following day I had a breakfast consisting of three eggs, lamb giro, three pancakes, and a fruit shake consisting of 2 bananas, one orange, one lime, grape juice and water. I realized that I had really got what I needed: water, protein, starch, fruit sugars, antioxidants and lecithin. The evening of the workout I supplemented with a water and mineral solution.

It goes beyond just eating certain foods, it is understanding the nutrition that foods contain that helps. Another factor is applied consciousness. Considering that you lost 20 pounds, I thnik you know enough about that.

I am presently, looking at going raw. But I am really taking the time to research it. Vegetarians scare me because their memory is so shot.

mickey

TenTigers
06-28-2010, 06:00 PM
lecithin granules are great sprinkled over a salad. You can also sprinkle flax seeds on salad as well.