PDA

View Full Version : PENN & TELLER: BULL****! "Martial Arts" Season 8 Episode 3

GeneChing
06-24-2010, 09:41 AM
I love Penn & Teller. Click and watch the vid on their front page now (http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/schedule.do). It's hilarious. I wish I had Showtime now.

PENN & TELLER: BULL****! "Martial Arts" Season 8 Episode 3 (http://www.sho.com/site/schedules/product.do?episodeid=136412&seasonid=8&seriesid=134)
Penn & Teller: Bull**** - Season 8

Description

Thanks to centuries of Eastern mystique, the martial arts may appear spiritual and special. The mischievous magicians take a more skeptical look at a bunch of guys in pajamas breaking boards with their feet and overweight housewives learning to "defend" themselves.
Rating

TVMA
Duration

30 Mins
Showtime Advisories

Nudity, Mild Violence, Graphic Language, Adult Content

MartialDev
06-27-2010, 03:56 PM
If you don't have Showtime, you can watch the show online, via the link in my review (http://www.martialdevelopment.com/blog/penn-and-teller-two-morons-learn-martial-arts/).

MasterKiller
06-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Anyone see the new episode? Holy Sh1t. They pick a fruity Daoist lady and a hardcore McDojo Sensei who loves to smash boards and pick them apart viciously. Then, they bring in a "Reality Combat expert" to back up their argument that martial arts training is worthless for fighting.

SanHeChuan
06-29-2010, 06:53 AM
Being discussed in the Martial Media and Popular Culture forum.

I haven't seen the episode, but I've read about it. I like their show, and they do make some valid points about some of the ridiculousness surrounding the martial arts, but... :rolleyes:

hskwarrior
06-29-2010, 07:10 AM
you can watch the episode here

http://www.wisevid.com/play?v=6Abxx-xJ99-3

hskwarrior
06-29-2010, 07:18 AM
you can watch the episode here

http://www.wisevid.com/play?v=6Abxx-xJ99-3

David Jamieson
06-29-2010, 07:29 AM
By the Penn&Teller standard, we learn taht the extreme ends are bad and the centrism is the way.

Bottom line, do either Penn or Teller look like they have much knowledge of martial arts?

I have a hard time seeing them in a gym doing calesthenics, but hey, I always ask the milkman about aristotle's ideas... lol

taai gihk yahn
06-29-2010, 07:45 AM
I always ask the milkman about aristotle's ideas... lol

and so what was it that he had to say on the topic?

SanHeChuan
06-29-2010, 08:08 AM
I always ask the milkman about aristotle's ideas... lol

If the milk man has a time machine that he used to travel from 1950 to 2010, I'd want to know what he thought about Aristotle too. He probably met the man.

Scott R. Brown
06-29-2010, 08:30 AM
If the milkman went back in time to meet Aristotle he wouldn't understand a thing he said, because he wouldn't be able understand ancient Greek!:eek::p:D:rolleyes::confused::cool::):(

David Jamieson
06-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Well, my milkman has a Phd in philosophy and understands antiquarian linguistics with relative ease.

The problem is that he was born and educated in India and his accreditation is not accepted here.

:p

SanHeChuan
06-29-2010, 08:52 AM
If the milkman went back in time to meet Aristotle he wouldn't understand a thing he said, because he wouldn't be able understand ancient Greek!:eek::p:D:rolleyes::confused::cool::):(

You think a dude who built a time machine with 1950's technology wouldn't know ancient Greek? ;)

Scott R. Brown
06-29-2010, 09:26 AM
You think a dude who built a time machine with 1950's technology wouldn't know ancient Greek? ;)

LOL! How many people do you know who can read and write ancient Greek? It is so unrelated to modern Greek there is uncertainty how the words are even pronounced....

BuuUUUUUuuuuut, you make a good point about the time machine! Anyone who can build one of those, especially if it is anything like MINE, can do just about anything!:D

Scott R. Brown
06-29-2010, 09:29 AM
I did watch the show BTW and FINALLY someone else has said what I have been saying here for years....

I you want to learn to defend yourself, learn to use a gun properly and, of course, when to use it according to the law. It is cheaper to learn, and it is more effective!

SanHeChuan
06-29-2010, 09:49 AM
I did watch the show BTW and FINALLY someone else has said what I have been saying here for years....

I you want to learn to defend yourself, learn to use a gun properly and, of course, when to use it according to the law. It is cheaper to learn, and it is more effective!

Learning how to do more than pull the trigger is martail arts.
21-ft rule (http://www.policeone.com/edged-weapons/articles/102828-Edged-Weapon-Defense-Is-or-was-the-21-foot-rule-valid-Part-1/)
How to defend your weapon, etc...

David Jamieson
06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
LOL! How many people do you know who can read and write ancient Greek? It is so unrelated to modern Greek there is uncertainty how the words are even pronounced....

BuuUUUUUuuuuut, you make a good point about the time machine! Anyone who can build one of those, especially if it is anything like MINE, can do just about anything!:D

Oddly enough, my friends base is ecclectic enough that I know two people who can read ancient greek. (and latin too). Apparently you have to learn that stuff to become a priest, so that was their in. As far as I know, they have no time machines.

Three Harmonies
06-29-2010, 02:37 PM
you guys are funny. :D The goofy lady doing Taichi was more representative of the majority of folks teaching / training both Taiji and Qigong, than not! Hurts when it is so blatantly thrown in ones face don't it;)

Cheers
JAB

Dragonzbane76
06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, my milkman has a Phd in philosophy and understands antiquarian linguistics with relative ease.

they still deliever milk to your house????????:confused::D:D:D
Now that is an achievement, milk delivered to your door in this age.

PHILBERT
06-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Terrible, terrible episode.

Never seen the show so I can't compare it to other episodes, but they completely went the wrong way with it. They completely ignored the MMA aspect of it, and like I said the other night at Twin Peaks:

"When they said you had a 220% higher chance of getting hurt training than you do in a real fight, that is like saying you have a higher chance of drowning at the lake than you do sitting at home watching Showtime, or a higher chance of being shot when you go hunting than watching Showtime."

Scott R. Brown
06-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Terrible, terrible episode.

Never seen the show so I can't compare it to other episodes, but they completely went the wrong way with it. They completely ignored the MMA aspect of it, and like I said the other night at Twin Peaks:

"When they said you had a 220% higher chance of getting hurt training than you do in a real fight, that is like saying you have a higher chance of drowning at the lake than you do sitting at home watching Showtime, or a higher chance of being shot when you go hunting than watching Showtime."

Not to mention that life has a 100% mortality rate!

GeneChing
07-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Here's his tweet (http://twitter.com/pennjillette)on the matter.

Bull**** is every Thursday at 10 PM on Showtime. I won't keep repeating that, but this week it's "Martial Arts." I pushed to do this one. 2:20 PM Jun 23rd via web

IronFist
08-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I just found out they did a MA episode. Has anyone seen it? What was the general premise? That MA is bull****?

David Jamieson
08-19-2010, 10:57 AM
fundamentally speaking, if I were in a state where cc was permitted or even oc was permitted, then yes, the gun is the be all and end all in almost all cases where one has to seriously defend themselves.

So, gun = most effective method of self defense with shortest learning curve.

But, there are not many places you can open carry and even less that you can conceal carry.

In Canada, it is totally forbidden to carry guns in the streets lest yee be heading out to hunt, heading down to the range or you are a LEO or licensed square badge like a brinks guy or something.

So, Penn&Teller, in teh big picture in regards to their premise as given are the ones who are Bull***t in this case.

:)

Hebrew Hammer
08-19-2010, 11:21 AM
All the more the reason for the US of A to annex Canada.

teetsao
08-19-2010, 11:44 AM
penn and teller are a couple athiest ***gots who spout off like they know anything at all. they know trickery and how to fool people through slight of hand. why would you think they knew anything else when they opened their mouths. they think unless you agree with them on their b.s. series ,then you are a stupid redmeck. these 2 efimanate freaks are nothing but shills,and know absolutely nothing about anything of any omportance.

teetsao
08-19-2010, 12:02 PM
i tried to watch the episode and couldnt make it. they are trying to belitt le the arts by picking,as was said,2 extremes, and the editing on the sanchin form and not giving and explination as to what was going on ,is very misleading.
those 2 need to meet my friend who is a 4th in okinawan shuri te,and has kind of a mean streak,and loves,loves,to demonstrate things ,like, kyusho and especially the alarm points on people who dont beleive it or call it b.s.

Shima Wara
08-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Lol. Guess these guys have never been punched in the throat or had their skull cracked by iron palm. Oh well, No cure for fools I suppose. I would gladly meet with them anytime to A. Point out that they think they know their **** about the world and they truly do not even understand a portion of the truth and B. To punch them in the throat and then crack their skull with iron palm. I would laso gladly show them the alarm points of Kyusho and see if they work. Penn & Teller, more placement propaganda from the Elite.

Syn7
08-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Learning how to do more than pull the trigger is martail arts.
21-ft rule (http://www.policeone.com/edged-weapons/articles/102828-Edged-Weapon-Defense-Is-or-was-the-21-foot-rule-valid-Part-1/)
How to defend your weapon, etc...

wierdo taijiquan lady and mcdojo king clearly show that all martial arts are useless... esspecially since anyone can break a board... i found the show to be thorough, well thought out and unbiased... it clearly demonstartes that martial arts are a waste of time and will only get "white middle class boys" hurt when somebody actually punches them in the face... :rolleyes:

maaan, i havent seen anything that poorly presented in a very very long time...

Syn7
08-19-2010, 04:58 PM
All the more the reason for the US of A to annex Canada.

canada and the usa already had their war... canada won....

Hebrew Hammer
08-20-2010, 12:13 AM
canada and the usa already had their war... canada won....

Revisionist history!!! The Brits won actually. :D

Hebrew Hammer
08-20-2010, 12:14 AM
penn and teller are a couple athiest ***gots who spout off like they know anything at all. they know trickery and how to fool people through slight of hand. why would you think they knew anything else when they opened their mouths. they think unless you agree with them on their b.s. series ,then you are a stupid redmeck. these 2 efimanate freaks are nothing but shills,and know absolutely nothing about anything of any omportance.

Um...lets see...go to anger management much?

David Jamieson
08-24-2010, 05:42 AM
Not to mention that life has a 100% mortality rate!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease that inevitably ends in fatality. I think we should all be clear about this at the very least. :p