PDA

View Full Version : Wing chun vs. Mantis: why should i study either?

Raatra
08-20-2000, 06:29 PM
i am deciding to study either wing chun or northern mantis under sifu steve cotrell. i have a foundation in wing chun already. however i learn quickly and have found that i can easily drop old martial habits and be open to new ideas or 'empty your cup' as it has been said. i was wondering if anyone had some ideas.

i know very little of mantis and would like to hear a description of it. i am not ignorant of martial arts terminology and theory so please be very in depth. if anything think of this as a chance to describe your art as you see it.
thank you for any info.

Taijimantis
08-21-2000, 08:56 PM
If you like forms Mantis is for you!

Mantis teaches Boxing, trapping, kicking, and groundfighting, it is a very well rounded style. There are if I am not mistaken, 100 forms. Dont worry, that is everything. Empty handed sets, two man sets, weapons sets, two person weapons forms, etc.

There are more weapons in Mantis than Wing Chun. The ones that are most taught are the broadsword, staff, spear, and whip chain. Others include the dart, Kwan Dao, 3 and 2 section staff, and twin hook swords.

There are wooden dummy forms in both styles, but they are very different.

Both are good styles, I for obvious reasons, am partial to Mantis. It all depends on your taste. Mantis is wider and more sweeping, WC is tighter and more direct in the way of centerline.

Either choice is good if you stick with it!

Namaste.

HKMantis
08-21-2000, 11:40 PM
Taijimantis,

What you have discribed as Northern Praying Mantis is more in line with the CCM branch of mantis and not what Sifu Cottrell teaches. He teaches the 28 empty hand and 18 traditional weapon sets from the WHF linage. (as noted in another thread they are quite different)

Raatra,

The best thing for you to do is visit both the W/C and the Mantis classes and see the differences for yourself, Reading about them in a forum such as this is only as good as someone can articulate on the page. Seeing what each class has to offer should make a greater impact upon your decision than just mere words. In both the branches of the school, after the basics are learned all the material for the curriculum comes from the forms.
I've touched hands with both his W/C and his NPM students often, they are quite skilled and entertaining to train with. Either way you go, rest assured that you will recieve quality instruction.

HK

Taijimantis
08-22-2000, 03:18 AM
Agreed, but I can only comment on the versions of Mantis I know about. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sometimes I sound like a fool, but there is usually someone to correct me. Thanx!

Namaste