PDA

View Full Version : Great Street Fight, but what is the MA used?

Hardwork108
06-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Here is a gem from the UK. Finally when it starts, the "good guy" seems to be using a MA style. It looked Wing Chun-esk but could have had other TCMA and karate elements, as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX2qn6nrQZs&feature=fvw

What do you guys think. I am sure that the cross trainers here can add their insights to the matter and perhaps solve the mystery of what MA the man used.

All I can say is that I have not been so entertained by a real fight video for a long time.

hskwarrior
06-27-2010, 04:27 AM
TCMA...NO. i think its karate of some type. i've only seen karate systems use the hands the way he's holding them. are you serious? that was really boring

Hardwork108
06-27-2010, 04:45 AM
TCMA...NO. i think its karate of some type. i've only seen karate systems use the hands the way he's holding them. are you serious? that was really boring

Sorry, if you found it boring, but I swear to you I found it really entertaining when the big mouth went down with one punch and crawled away....LOL

Frost
06-27-2010, 04:47 AM
:Dumm whats your definition of cross training..people jumping from one style to another without finishing the syle....like from say chow gar to wing chun...then from wing chun to something else.....?:D

as for that being good LMAO who huge guy with training is going to beat a skinny kid with no expereince what so ever..if thats news to you then you should really get to a gym and do some proper training

mooyingmantis
06-27-2010, 05:16 AM
Hardwork108,
I thought that was funny. Moral of that video story: "Talk smack, get smacked down".
Thanks for sharing that!

The guy defending did all the right things:
1. Guarded his center throughout the verbal and physical confrontation.
2. Stayed in a "passive" posture till it was time to act. This probably kept him from civil liability when he did have to hit the attacker.
3. Pressed the attack after the first strike to insure that the conflict was over without turning into the aggressor when the bully retreated. Another smart legal move.

Very good lessons in such a short clip!

Hardwork108
06-27-2010, 05:17 AM
:Dumm whats your definition of cross training..people jumping from one style to another without finishing the syle....like from say chow gar to wing chun...then from wing chun to something else.....?:D

as for that being good LMAO who huge guy with training is going to beat a skinny kid with no expereince what so ever..if thats news to you then you should really get to a gym and do some proper training

Why don't you go and troll the MMA threads? Really, you will find many others like yourself, who have nothing to say in regards the TCMAs.....

Hardwork108
06-27-2010, 05:26 AM
Hardwork108,
I thought that was funny. Moral of that video story: "Talk smack, get smacked down".
Thanks for sharing that!

The guy defending did all the right things:
1. Guarded his center throughout the verbal and physical confrontation.
2. Stayed in a "passive" posture till it was time to act. This probably kept him from civil liability when he did have to hit the attacker.
3. Pressed the attack after the first strike to insure that the conflict was over without turning into the aggressor when the bully retreated. Another smart legal move.

Very good lessons in such a short clip!

You are welcome and thank you for appreciating it.

I agree with you on all counts. That video can be used as training media for how to behave during such provokation.

To be honest, I would have nailed that guy with a cork screw central line punch right into his throat, but then I live in Colombia and here the law would be more on my side, specially if the guy was on my property. ;)

People would get killed for that kind of behavior here.......

But again, people living in most West European countries and North America can use that video as a guide do's and don'ts in such situations,

Dragonzbane76
06-27-2010, 06:44 AM
really hard to ascertain what he's doing... could be a multitude of "styles" hell could be krav maga, karate, etc.

pazman
06-27-2010, 07:16 AM
I would have blah blah blah

I could have....

I should have....
:rolleyes:

Scott R. Brown
06-27-2010, 07:28 AM
I could have....

I should have....

Don't you mean: could'a, would'a, should'a?

taai gihk yahn
06-27-2010, 10:43 AM
ummm, I on't know...doesn't the whole thing seem a little, well, FAKE?

I mean, it just seems a bit too scripted, from the whole "calmly waiting" for the skin head to escalate, and then driving the bounder off with one shot, which, BTW, wasn't even visible from the point of being filmed; and it seems odd that for someone who was so aggressive that he would have been dispatched with one shot that didn't even incapacitate him; not to mention that, when you usually see actual fights on YouTube, the camera angle isn't well framed, the guy filming moves around, etc. - to me, the whole scene seems very set up;

but, let's just say for the sake of argument that it is real - it was a great example of what NOT to do, meaning that he let the skin head invade his space and put himself at grave risk to be nailed the whole time - I mean, his hands were down at his waist clasped together - there was NO WAY he could have gotten them up in time if the guy punched him in the head; also, he could have been head butted very easily as well; and then, he let the guy push him several times before actually defending himself; there was no way he should have allowed the guy to get into his face and stay there that way and should have never let the guy put his hands on him in the first place; that's why I call BS as well;

also, if he was really so calm and cool, he should have just gone back into his house and called the police; but then you may have noticed that someone closed the door behind him towards the end there, lol, which also makes it suspect - if you saw your dad / husband being pushed backwards repeatedly why would you close his only means of escape? you'd get him inside and close the door after him...

Frost
06-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Why don't you go and troll the MMA threads? Really, you will find many others like yourself, who have nothing to say in regards the TCMAs.....

come on now arent you actually what you hate the most...someone who style hops without ever getting enough into the system to be able to use it properly...arent you what one could call a cross trainer...and a clueless one at that....:)

Scott R. Brown
06-27-2010, 11:33 AM

I mean, it just seems a bit too scripted, from the whole "calmly waiting" for the skin head to escalate, and then driving the bounder off with one shot, which, BTW, wasn't even visible from the point of being filmed; and it seems odd that for someone who was so aggressive that he would have been dispatched with one shot that didn't even incapacitate him; not to mention that, when you usually see actual fights on YouTube, the camera angle isn't well framed, the guy filming moves around, etc. - to me, the whole scene seems very set up;

but, let's just say for the sake of argument that it is real - it was a great example of what NOT to do, meaning that he let the skin head invade his space and put himself at grave risk to be nailed the whole time - I mean, his hands were down at his waist clasped together - there was NO WAY he could have gotten them up in time if the guy punched him in the head; also, he could have been head butted very easily as well; and then, he let the guy push him several times before actually defending himself; there was no way he should have allowed the guy to get into his face and stay there that way and should have never let the guy put his hands on him in the first place; that's why I call BS as well;

also, if he was really so calm and cool, he should have just gone back into his house and called the police; but then you may have noticed that someone closed the door behind him towards the end there, lol, which also makes it suspect - if you saw your dad / husband being pushed backwards repeatedly why would you close his only means of escape? you'd get him inside and close the door after him...

Next thing, you will tell us all that Santa Claus isn't real, The Tooth Fairy is pretend, and David Ross is YOU!!!!:p

Hardwork108
06-27-2010, 02:44 PM
I could have....

I should have....

Many of us would have reacted distinctly from each other. I was merely pointing out that I would have stopped that "conversation" at an earlier stage when the guy was standing in front of me, with his central line wide open, rather than push him and create a "match" situation.

Hardwork108
06-27-2010, 02:55 PM

The level of the man's coolness was rather unusual so anything is possible, but the human condition can also contain infinite possibilities.

Very true but unfortunately acting correctly from a legal point of view (inclined to protect the scumbags of this world) does not usually correlate with intelligent self preservation.

I guess he may have wanted and hopped that the situation would just fizzle out. I suspect he knew the young man. As for the door, there may be chance that someone in is family does not like him as much as he would want to be liked....:D

Hardwork108
06-27-2010, 02:58 PM
To me looked like some father preventing some kid from seeing his daughter for any multiple of reasons.

That is a good call. It would explain a lot about what happened on the video.

How he was calm and collective and protecting the door. As far as styles pick any that practice a reverse punch down block series.

Yep, but it would great to have more details of his training. His coolness may have been partially due to his training ( as well as the fact that he probably knew the young man and did not feel too threatened by him).

Lee Chiang Po
06-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Karate I think. I think the karate guy showed great restraint. The stupid guy has probably lived too long anyway. The way he stood there with his face stuck out and his arms down and back like that. Just shows that with a little skill most fights consist of 2 blows. When the fist hits a face and when that a$$ hits the ground.

Hardwork108
06-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Karate I think. I think the karate guy showed great restraint.
The more I look at the video the more my opinion swings towards karate. It was one clean shot and no follow up. Of course, the no follow up may have been due to the guy's kindness more than anything else.

The stupid guy has probably lived too long anyway.
That guy would not have survived beyond his mid teens here in Colombia. Not with that attitude and stupidity.

The way he stood there with his face stuck out and his arms down and back like that. Just shows that with a little skill most fights consist of 2 blows. When the fist hits a face and when that a$$ hits the ground.

LOL, true.

Ruffians seem to use that posture often in the UK, at least from what I saw when I lived there. It may be cultural and it is usually accompanied by loud swearing. I guess this approach works with guys who get scared, then show that they are scared, which would be the cue for the bad guy to punch and attack them.

I doubt that idiot's approach would work in most parts of Southern or Eastern Europe, and definitely not here in Colombia, where natural selection tends to get rid of big mouth "tough" guys, who usually don't survive beyond their teens or at least learn a harsh lesson, even if they do survive.

Ironically, that you are less likely to be confronted by some guy "looking for trouble" in some club or bar here here than in the UK, some parts of Western Europe and probably parts of the US. As those who risk looking for trouble here can end up with a lot more than they can chew.;)

Anyway, there is a good chance that the guy was using karate. There are people here in the forums who have a lot of experience in karate, it will also be interesting to see what they have to say about this fight.

Frost
06-28-2010, 02:38 AM
Many of us would have reacted distinctly from each other. I was merely pointing out that I would have stopped that "conversation" at an earlier stage when the guy was standing in front of me, with his central line wide open, rather than push him and create a "match" situation.

no you would have peed yourself and begged him to not beat you up, lets be fair about this:)

Hardwork108
06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
no you would have peed yourself and begged him to not beat you up, lets be fair about this:)
The above sounds like a Freudian slip on your part,.....

Look, the only people who are afraid of your hooligans are your own people. Most of these deliquents would not survive 10 seconds in the rough neighborhoods here in Colombia, nor in Brazil, or most parts South America.

People here don't have the patience of standing and listening to some "half-man" moron who is acting tough.....LOLde

However and again, I take off my hat to the other guy's coolness and intelligence in acting within a law, that is designed to protect the criminals, while it is emasculating the population, in making them depend on police and authorities (who are never there on time) to handle such situations, thus creating a constant fear of "what if I do" and "what if I don't".

Well, I hope you learned something new today....LOL

Faruq
06-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Couldn't the attackee have attacked the attacker as soon as he entered his property? Was it really necessary to take all that on his own property?

David Jamieson
06-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Couldn't the attackee have attacked the attacker as soon as he entered his property? Was it really necessary to take all that on his own property?

well it's the UK and they have all sorts of nanny laws that make victims criminals.
so the guy probably wanted to make absolutely sure he did not take the first swing and that everyone saw that because believe it or not, in england, the guy who knocked the other guy down, whilst on his own property can in fact be charged with assault.

It's an aspect of the UK that makes it a giant ***** state. :p

Faruq
06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
well it's the UK and they have all sorts of nanny laws that make victims criminals.
so the guy probably wanted to make absolutely sure he did not take the first swing and that everyone saw that because believe it or not, in england, the guy who knocked the other guy down, whilst on his own property can in fact be charged with assault.

It's an aspect of the UK that makes it a giant ***** state. :p

What's the law here in the U.S.?

David Jamieson
06-28-2010, 11:45 AM
What's the law here in the U.S.?

In many states, if someone comes on your property without permission, their ass is pretty much yours. In some cases, you are free to shoot them.

Not everywhere, but there is a lot more emphasis on the value of personal property in the US, whereas in the UK, not so much.

i'm not a lawyer, but over time you learn things and what I've learned is that the US can be wild west in some ways and the UK is in the throws of an Orwellian orgasm.

Canada is somewhere in between... :p

Frost
06-28-2010, 12:54 PM
The above sounds like a Freudian slip on your part,.....

Look, the only people who are afraid of your hooligans are your own people. Most of these deliquents would not survive 10 seconds in the rough neighborhoods here in Colombia, nor in Brazil, or most parts South America.

People here don't have the patience of standing and listening to some "half-man" moron who is acting tough.....LOLde

However and again, I take off my hat to the other guy's coolness and intelligence in acting within a law, that is designed to protect the criminals, while it is emasculating the population, in making them depend on police and authorities (who are never there on time) to handle such situations, thus creating a constant fear of "what if I do" and "what if I don't".

Well, I hope you learned something new today....LOL

what learn from you...no thats a scary thought :)

Hardwork108
06-28-2010, 02:18 PM
what learn from you...no thats a scary thought :)

I know, intelligent people always intimidate the likes of you, but then you will just have to swallow it and try and evolve as best as you can.......

Hardwork108
06-28-2010, 02:30 PM

If memory serves me correctly, the British law allows one to use "reasonable" force to get the person off your property.

Unfortunately, different judges will have different "interpretations" of "reasonable force". Furthermore, their interpretation will depend on the politics of the day, that is, wether the country is passing through an artificially inspired do-gooder, "be nice to criminals", phase, designed to further scare the public into depending on government for protection.

Even though the US gives its citizens (of course,depending on the individual State), once you are outside of your property, then your reaction to any attack has to be also considered reasonable. That is the tendency is the same in both countries - they give criminals as much protection as they can.

Now that the the veil is lifting and revealing the type of psychopathic mind-set and corrupt leaders who are in charge of both (and other "civilized" countries as well) one can further understand the obsession with protecting criminal scum that roam the streets....

Hardwork108
06-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Going back to the video clip....I hope that Sanjuro ronin can bring in some input as he has a lot of karate experience and may add some more valid points on the type of MA used in that fight.

Lee Chiang Po
06-28-2010, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=Hardwork108;1022369]The more I look at the video the more my opinion swings towards karate. It was one clean shot and no follow up. Of course, the no follow up may have been due to the guy's kindness more than anything else.

I was judging by some things I learned in the 70's. If you will notice, he was standing in a karate neutral stance most of the time he was being verbally assaulted.
His hands were fists, held in front of his lower abdomen. Go back and look and you will see. As a younger man I earned a large portion of my income as a bouncer, or as I liked to call it, social director. I learned to see and catch subtle things like that as it could sometimes save from being taken by surprise. From his actions I would say that he did only what was needed and we only seen a tiny bit of his actual potential. He was waiting for the other guy to take that swing.

jmd161
06-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Hmmm, looks like karate to me also...

I like the vid and thought it was funny but, did see problems with it also. If, that was real and not staged in any way, that guy has the restraint of Mahatma Gandhi!:D

He may know what he thinks he's capable of but, that could have turned tragic easily. Any one of the head nudges could have been a head butt followed by hay makers and this video takes on another meaning.