PDA

View Full Version : Tong Long Kuen?????

Black Jack
08-20-2000, 06:50 PM
When you need information on the vast network of Mantis systems what better to place to go than the Mantis kung fu board.

Here is my question: One of my good friends has begun the study of the above mentioned art and I am interested to know a little about the history of the style and its fighting methods.

Is this style Chow Gar? My friend says that this is a southern style which looks very close to wing chun in application to its trapping and footwork methods.

Any information you have would be very apprecaited (sp?)

[This message has been edited by Black Jack (edited 08-21-2000).]

Robinf
08-20-2000, 08:48 PM
As far as I know, Tong Long Kuen means Praying Mantis Fist, which could denote any style of praying mantis kung fu. But, I am not an expert in chinese. We do have some chinese readers/speakers. One of them should be along shortly to correct me.

RochSevenStarMantis
08-20-2000, 10:13 PM
Robin is correct, Tong Long Kuen is not specific enough. There are both Northern and Southern styles of Mantis. Perhaps you could ask your friend to be more specific..Rochsevenstarmantis

Qi Xing Tong Long
08-27-2000, 08:31 PM
Black Jack, Tong Long means (Praying Mantis) Kuen means (fist). In order to determine what kimd of a style it is, you must be more specific on the name of the style. Also, southern mantis is not really mantis per se. It was a name used to disquise their true identity of the system. That's why when you look at styles like Jook Lum Tong Long, it similarities are that of the Bak Mei system. I'm only speaking of the Jook Lum system and not other southern mantis systems cause I have not seen them, like Chow Gar.

Peace.

------------------
Ortiz Northern Shaolin Temple 7-Star Praying Mantis Chinese Boxing Academy

mantis boxer
08-28-2000, 01:02 AM
Ask you friend specifically what style he studies.

Buk Tong Long Kuen is northern mantis
Nam Tong Long Kuen is southern mantis

Once you get the BUk or Nam, then you have to figure out what type of northern/southern style. Whatever style of mantis it is, it should follow the basic priciples of Wong Long. Southern mantis is very similar to wing chun. They also have a double chi sao exercise. Their hand forms are different though.