PDA

View Full Version : Icmac

xcakid
03-02-2010, 10:34 AM
http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/dallas/index.html
anyone going to the first ICMAC (Nick Scrima's and Johny Lee's) tournament here in Dallas?

Just curious, always good to meet fellow board members. :)

MasterKiller
03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
$100 to fight San Da??!!!?? Are you f@cking kidding me?

xcakid
03-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't believe the Sanda event will happen. They can't get around the "no elimination round" rule. Last I heard they are "in talks" with the TX boxing commission. But yeah, pricey. I don't believe we have anyone fighting. Most of our fighters are college students and that is just cost prohibitive. Last year we had 3 ready to fight at Taiji Legacy, the price dropped that down to one fighting.

We have a bunch of kids and a few adults doing forms and sparring though. My 41yr old butt will be doing continious sparring :D

Pork Chop
03-02-2010, 11:23 AM
that's the weekend of pac-clottey in dallas...
great timing. :)
half considering making the trek up there, coz i really want to see that fight, but have this weird reluctance to go, probably because of the money and the logistics of bringing my family.

lkfmdc
03-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Teh reason the san shou/san da teams have abandoned all these events is not only that they are run by people who don't understand teh sport, but the absurd fees they try and charge... and to top that off, for that fee they DO NOT INSURE YOU....

Ripp off

Lee Chiang Po
03-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Siminars and turniments are just thrown to make bucks. If 10 people paid to fight, 5 of them would be paying for an a$$ whupping. If you really want to see some good fights, pay the fighters to participate and you will get some action. Winner take all will make it even better.

DRAGONSIHING
03-03-2010, 12:58 PM
I'll be there on Saturday for sure. Will have a fellow student or two with me. See you there!

xcakid
03-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I'll be there on Saturday for sure. Will have a fellow student or two with me. See you there!

Hot ****!! Would be good to see you again. But I gotta admit, I forgot your first name, so I hope you don't mind if I revert to calling you by your board name. I am turning 42 this year and memory is not so good. :o

sha0lin1
03-04-2010, 07:08 AM
I'll be there as well with our newest master for our school Shi Yan Fei. We have a couple of students competing.

xcakid
03-04-2010, 09:29 AM
I'll be there as well with our newest master for our school Shi Yan Fei. We have a couple of students competing.

Awesome!! Well if you see a Filipino guy wearing a black uniform with silver trim competing in the advanced division and completely butchering his forms, that would be me. Come by, say hi and console me would ya. :o

DRAGONSIHING
03-04-2010, 12:28 PM
My name is Marion. Will be sure and try to find you and say Hi! Will look for other forum members that show up too. Maybe before then we can come up with a recognition method. Looking forward to it.

kfson
03-04-2010, 12:35 PM
My name is Marion. Will be sure and try to find you and say Hi! Will look for other forum members that show up too. Maybe before then we can come up with a recognition method. Looking forward to it.

How about an "uki" face track?

I will be in the stands.

KC Elbows
03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Teh reason the san shou/san da teams have abandoned all these events is not only that they are run by people who don't understand teh sport, but the absurd fees they try and charge... and to top that off, for that fee they DO NOT INSURE YOU....

Ripp off

IMO, that's why the kung fu conventions have taken a hit, especially the small ones, but it will hit the big ones. Short sightedness. Instead of recognizing the problems and the reality that too many schools lack competent fighters and not trying to profit off the market to help it grow, they see sanda as just another cash cow, not something that needs to be fostered to ensure there even being a market in the future.

DRAGONSIHING
03-05-2010, 01:07 PM
whatever that is... will look in the stands around me for that's where I'll be also. Unless like last tournament spend more time seated on floor. Not enough chairs in areas of interest. Or there were so many people watching had to stand up close to see anything thru crowd. :):)

GeneChing
03-05-2010, 01:18 PM
We have two Yanfeis in the S.F. Bay Area. There's Chen Fei, who usually goes by Chen Fei now. And there's my coach, Yan Fei, which is his given name coincidentally. He officially disrobed.

What's the given name of your new coach?

sha0lin1
03-08-2010, 07:04 AM
We have two Yanfeis in the S.F. Bay Area. There's Chen Fei, who usually goes by Chen Fei now. And there's my coach, Yan Fei, which is his given name coincidentally. He officially disrobed.

What's the given name of your new coach?

Sorry Gene, that was a typo, I meant Yong Fei, his given name is Zhang Xue Fei. I must have had Yan's on my brain that day.

xcakid
03-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Well I guess its official, Sanda has been cancelled at this event. http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/dallas/schedule.html

ngokfei
03-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Pretty much all Boxing Commissions have a general rule against "elimination" type events.

That was one of the main reasons why UFC had a hard time in the beginning as well.

don't see why they canceled the event in Texas. They could of just carded the fights relying on fighters records (if anyone keeps them). Also They could of still made their money just by the spectators fees. This $100 to compete is crazy. On any given weekend you can find a boxing/kickboxing event to compete in and its FREE.

I read they are going schduling an event in Atlanta in 2011?, anyhow the boxing commission rules are the same as Texas so I guess they won't have it here as well.

shame..

xcakid
03-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Pretty much all Boxing Commissions have a general rule against "elimination" type events.

That was one of the main reasons why UFC had a hard time in the beginning as well.

don't see why they canceled the event in Texas. They could of just carded the fights relying on fighters records (if anyone keeps them). Also They could of still made their money just by the spectators fees. This $100 to compete is crazy. On any given weekend you can find a boxing/kickboxing event to compete in and its FREE.

I read they are going schduling an event in Atlanta in 2011?, anyhow the boxing commission rules are the same as Texas so I guess they won't have it here as well.

shame..

As I understand it, TX Boxing Commission wanted a $30K fee for the event if its carded. That get the blessing for the event, medical staff, and TX Boxing Commission will furnish the referee and judges. I think that ICMAC did not want to pay the $30K fee to put on the event.

pazman
03-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Xcakid,
If you don't mind, I'll read between your lines for a bit. ;)To me, this means that the tournament officials had no one on staff qualified to be a Sanda judge or referee. Furthermore, the organizers didn't feel like shelling out money for medical staff. Honestly, people that traditionally have run tournaments including only taolu and point sparring should not even bother offering Sanda....or, gasp:eek: they should hire qualified people who know what they are doing, and who to connect with.

Hey, I'm only speculating;)

lkfmdc
03-10-2010, 10:21 PM
NJ has perhaps the best commission in the US regarding combat sports and has regulations for fighters' safety but is you devise a formula to limit the rounds you can still do a tournament. I know this from fist hand experience

As for fees, in NJ it certainly would not be that much, but perhaps everything is "bigger in Texas"? :confused: :eek:

But, basicly, in CMA you alwyas have had forms guys trying to run the sanshou and always mucking it up

ngokfei
03-11-2010, 06:38 AM
the info is all here..

http://www.license.state.tx.us/sports/sports.htm

lkfmdc
03-11-2010, 06:59 AM
the info is all here..

http://www.license.state.tx.us/sports/sports.htm

a quick read, but doesn't look like $30,000 in fees to me!

pazman
03-11-2010, 07:51 AM
And also:
http://www.license.state.tx.us/sports/sportsfaq.htm

Doesn't seem to add up to $30,000 here either.

Some of the registration fees seemed a little bit higher than other states' I've seen, but all the regulations didn't seem out of the ordinary.

It's a shame that a "5 Star Rating":rolleyes: CMA tournament can't come up with the skills to put on a Sanda gig.

xcakid
03-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Xcakid,
If you don't mind, I'll read between your lines for a bit. ;)To me, this means that the tournament officials had no one on staff qualified to be a Sanda judge or referee. Furthermore, the organizers didn't feel like shelling out money for medical staff. Honestly, people that traditionally have run tournaments including only taolu and point sparring should not even bother offering Sanda....or, gasp:eek: they should hire qualified people who know what they are doing, and who to connect with.

Hey, I'm only speculating;)

No they have staff(referee and judges) that are well qualified to judge Sanda, Master Mike Barry for one has been judging Sanda tournaments all over the country for years will be in attendance. Having attended, although not competing, previous ICMAC events, I know that a paramedic will be there for the entire duration of the tournament. The thing is the TX Boxing commission wants full control of the event and their fee.

xcakid
03-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Again, this is what I was told via email correspondence. I am not privvy to ICMAC conversations with the TX boxing commission.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled "discussion" :cool:

GeneChing
03-11-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm curious - how is Muay Thai doing in TX? It's going really well here in CA. I was just at a MT fight last weekend (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56596) and there's plenty more all the time that I don't attend.

Pork Chop
03-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm curious - how is Muay Thai doing in TX? It's going really well here in CA. I was just at a MT fight last weekend (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56596) and there's plenty more all the time that I don't attend.

Muay Thai in Texas is just coming out of a "dark ages" period.
In the 90s and early 2000s there were a lot more cards and fighters.
For the past few years there's been almost nothing.
Saekson's finally getting stuff started up on a regular basis in Dallas.
There are some other guys in Houston that are finally getting some shows started there as well.

The past few years there's been a guy named Kayan that's supposedly the rep for a stadium in Thailand and a major promotion. Any time my coach has tried to get fighters on a local mma promoter's card to do muay thai fights in san antonio, Kayan's been throwing a sh!tfit and has had enough pull to get the fights canceled.
Granted, this is all second hand info, but I've seen enough first hand to know that something's not on the up and up.

My understanding is that there's generally more spectators that show up to mma events; muay thai doesn't quite have as good a following. As a result the muay thai promoters have less money to cover the same state licensing requirements.
Still, the number is nowhere near 30K. I imagine the icmac folks are saying that because they'd need to pull in 30k to make the same amount of profits as they're used to running their backyard promotion. I mean, the NERVE of those state licensing folks to demand that promoters provide standardized equipment *gasp*. :eek: :p

lkfmdc
03-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Muay Thai is run by, gasp, people who do Muay Thai and understand it. On the East Coast, we still have issues about how close to how they do things in Thailand vs the reality of the average amateur, but the events go off and do well. The NJ commission is also excellent (NY's sux mule balls).

In the Wu Lin, we see people who have no idea what they are doing trying to do full contact fighting. You see it in the rules, in the way they say they want to judge things, in the decisions the so called "judges" make, in the ref's, and especially in the attitude towards the actual figthters

kfson
03-29-2010, 07:37 AM
I've been sick the last 5 days, but got up to see the Master's demonstration Saturday night.

DRAGONSIHING
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Sorry to hear you were ill, hope you are feeling better. I was at the whole thing Saturday including Master's demo. It was an interesting day. Got to see lots of different events. Excakid was there competing in a bunch of events and so were some more people from his school. It didn't appear to be as well attended as Tai Chi Legacy. The theme was friendship through Martial Arts and I talked with lots of people from all over including some of the masters. Sorry I didn't get to meet you, but maybe some other time. I did enjoy seeing lots of Tai Chi and push hands.

xcakid
03-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Great seeing you again Dragonsihing. :D

I will give another shot at getting a board member get together Friday before the tournament at Taiji Legacy. That last couple of years it was not that well received. 1st year it was just PorkChop and I, last year it was just Gene and I. Hoping 3rd time will be a charm.

Skip J.
03-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Great seeing you again Dragonsihing. :D

I will give another shot at getting a board member get together Friday before the tournament at Taiji Legacy. That last couple of years it was not that well received. 1st year it was just PorkChop and I, last year it was just Gene and I. Hoping 3rd time will be a charm.
you're choice of restaurant is a bit difficult for us old married guys.....

I'm just sayin'...

DRAGONSIHING
03-30-2010, 10:22 AM
That would be great. Come on Skip, it's only going out to eat. Right? And visit with folks we talk with but ever hardly get to see face to face. Do you have alternative sites? Remember we have to have cheese nachos for Gene.

xcakid
03-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Alright, I'll choose a more "suitable" establishment this go around. :cool:

Skip J.
03-30-2010, 12:59 PM
That would be great. Come on Skip, it's only going out to eat. Right? And visit with folks we talk with but ever hardly get to see face to face. Do you have alternative sites? Remember we have to have cheese nachos for Gene.
Ummmm.....no..... when my wife paid the credit cards next month she would be filing for divorce the next day...

An alternative site? Well I'm not sure these young folks want a quiet time out....

I used to live in Plano in the '70's - but all the development there since then is all new to me, including restaurants.... Any ordinary place with good food in Plano, Richardson, etc. would be close for those folks traveling into Plano.

Lucas
03-30-2010, 01:07 PM
just make them pay Skip!!!

Skip J.
03-30-2010, 01:22 PM
just make them pay Skip!!!
but no, she has way too many friends and relatives in this little part of the world - I'm just not a risk taker at heart......

thanks anyway tho...

GeneChing
03-30-2010, 01:27 PM
I mean the Kung Fu Legends 2010 thread. :o

I don't think we have a KFL 2010 thread yet and the old KFL 2009 got deleted for some unknown reason. :confused:

Lucas
03-30-2010, 01:30 PM
but no, she has way too many friends and relatives in this little part of the world - I'm just not a risk taker at heart......

thanks anyway tho...

heh ya i understand. the women of america could teach the cia a thing or two about aquiring intelligence...

xcakid
03-30-2010, 01:49 PM
I mean the Kung Fu Legends 2010 thread. :o

I don't think we have a KFL 2010 thread yet and the old KFL 2009 got deleted for some unknown reason. :confused:

Well one of us should start one. Are you going to be covering the event again?

GeneChing
06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Anyone going to the ICMAC (http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/) event this weekend in S.F.? I'll be there on Friday for the judges meeting and seminars, but that's it, as it's 4th of July weekend and I have other plans.

xcakid
06-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Anyone going to the ICMAC (http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/) event this weekend in S.F.? I'll be there on Friday for the judges meeting and seminars, but that's it, as it's 4th of July weekend and I have other plans.

We have one student from our school going. 8yr old Alex Mederos. He was actually in the running for the Legends of Kung Fu Form Grandchampion this past weekend. He's been doing the ICMAC circuit this year.

GeneChing
07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
There's also another ICMAC related thread here: My student gets robbed!!!! (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1024395) :o

Here's a pic of Nick & Tat from the weekend.
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/85/l_3642270399444d7d8eaaf214fc436d15.jpg

I was only there for the judges meeting, just to show face. I posted a few more on our FB (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kung-Fu-Tai-Chi-Magazine/135964689362) & MS (http://www.myspace.com/kungfumagazine) platforms.

hskwarrior
07-06-2010, 05:58 PM
i met Sifu Nick, very nice guy.

mjw
08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Just curious because there is supposed to be one in Chicago in September...

http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/chicago/