PDA

View Full Version : anyone train this way??

TenTigers
07-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Tiger Schullman's has this method for training/teaching their kickboxing:
Jab is called one, cross is called two, front hook is three, rear uppercut is four.
Frint leg front kick is front one, rear leg front kick is front two (as in jab, cross)
Front leg roundhouse is round one, rear leg roundhouse is round two.
In this way, they teach combos, one, two, one three, etc.
Has anyone else used this method for teaching?
What are your views on this? I have watched classes there, and it seems to work. I didn't see any confusion.

please do not turn this into a Tiger Schullman is this or that thread.
I am simply looking for opinions and viewpoints on this particular training method.

Iron_Eagle_76
07-01-2010, 06:52 AM
The boxing gym where I trained used the number method. It works once you get used to it, but I have always liked calling out the strike better. For example, one of my coaches would use the number system:

1, 2 : Jab, Cross

1,2, 3: Jab, Cross, Hook

1, 2, 3, 4 : Jab, Cross, Hook, Uppercut

3, 2, 3: Hook, Cross, Hook

3, 3, 2: Double Hook, Cross

So on and so on. If the fighters are used to this, it is a quick system, but often times it can confuse the hell out of you. The other coach would just shout out what he wanted, Jab, Cross, Hook, Uppercut, or whatever combination he wanted, which I found much easier. I guess it just depends on the person and what they are used to.

Dragonzbane76
07-01-2010, 07:08 AM
did it some with punching but never had kicks numbered in with punching. When doing a mix up would usually just yell out of say what was wanted.

MasterKiller
07-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Jab is called one, cross is called two, front hook is three, rear uppercut is four.
Frint leg front kick is front one, rear leg front kick is front two (as in jab, cross)
What are your views on this? I have watched classes there, and it seems to work. I didn't see any confusion.

I am simply looking for opinions and viewpoints on this particular training method.

That's a pretty common boxing method. Nothing wrong with it, and it may have some advantages, as it's easy to learn and you can call out a combo during a fight and the fighter should be able to decipher it and apply it automatically.

That being said, I find a lot of schools, especially MT schools, tend to overdue it. They will string together 10 and 12 hit combos, which never happen in real life.

Frost
07-01-2010, 08:02 AM

the best places i have seen use it keep t simple as MK said, so you have 1,2,3,4, jab cross lead hook and rear uppercut, then add things on, for example give me a 1,2,3 and finish with a low round house, or a 2,1, 2 and double hook. Keep it simple and add other things in if needed

Yao Sing
07-01-2010, 08:31 AM
That being said, I find a lot of schools, especially MT schools, tend to overdue it. They will string together 10 and 12 hit combos, which never happen in real life.

OMG:eek: 10 and 12 hit combos is a short form! :p

SevenStar
07-02-2010, 06:20 AM
That's a pretty common boxing method. Nothing wrong with it, and it may have some advantages, as it's easy to learn and you can call out a combo during a fight and the fighter should be able to decipher it and apply it automatically.

We've never done that, though we do use the numbering system. I've seen systems number the rest of the punches as well. We've never drilled combos more than 5.

SevenStar
07-02-2010, 06:26 AM
The boxing gym where I trained used the number method. It works once you get used to it, but I have always liked calling out the strike better. For example, one of my coaches would use the number system:

1, 2 : Jab, Cross

1,2, 3: Jab, Cross, Hook

1, 2, 3, 4 : Jab, Cross, Hook, Uppercut

3, 2, 3: Hook, Cross, Hook

3, 3, 2: Double Hook, Cross

So on and so on. If the fighters are used to this, it is a quick system, but often times it can confuse the hell out of you. The other coach would just shout out what he wanted, Jab, Cross, Hook, Uppercut, or whatever combination he wanted, which I found much easier. I guess it just depends on the person and what they are used to.

I once talked to a kali guy who had a very good explanation for why numbers were used as opposed to the actual technique name (kali uses number for the strike angles) but for the life of me, I can't recall what it is. Hopefully I can remember.

Wayfaring
07-02-2010, 09:04 AM

A few MT / MMA kickboxing schools I've trained at do this.

They name the leg techniques numbers too. Like 7 is rear leg round kick, 8 front leg, etc. Front leg front kick is a foot jab or teep, and is 9.

David Jamieson
07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
We get used to the numbers too so that you can call them out for focus mitt drills instead of saying teh name "jab" "2 jabs and a cross" etc etc.

It's easier to say "1,2" , "1,1,3" and so on. Keeps the pace going etc.

SevenStar
07-07-2010, 02:02 PM
yeah, but the kali guy had another reason...something like it de-conditions the mind to the violence. well, rather, hides it from it somewhat. instead of "strike to the opponent's neck / collarbone," you simply say "angle 1". they become more efficient because they aren't actually focused on the violence that is actually occurring.

Something to that effect. he had a better way of putting it.