PDA

View Full Version : Straight Left vs Jab

MasterKiller
07-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Preferences?

Frost
07-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Preferences?

come again? do you mean a more square stance and putting the hip and more power in the left?

MasterKiller
07-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Yes. A straight left requires no hip movement, which is probably more traditional in regards to CMA. A jab requires hip movement.

Iron_Eagle_76
07-01-2010, 08:01 AM
I prefer the jab, more power, more speed, at least in my training. Now my straight right I throw similiar to a reverse punch, hand turned over with my thumb out or away from my head in guard, when I throw it it turns over similar to the RP with added pop by dropping my weight and hips into it.

TenTigers
07-01-2010, 08:01 AM
our straight requires hip, and shoulder, waist movement, with alignment-elbow behind the punch. If you look at the first straight punch in Tan Tuie, it is an exagerrated straight punch-body aligned,open kwa bow stance, with a step-which is akin to the drop step lead.

Frost
07-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Yes. A straight left requires no hip movement, which is probably more traditional in regards to CMA. A jab requires hip movement.

i perfer a power jab, a squarer stance than in boxing and really twist into the punch (ala straight blast gym). If i am striking i want as much power as possible in my punches, otherwise the other guy might walk through them and get in close, i want to use power to make him pay

Dragonzbane76
07-01-2010, 08:13 AM
i use the jab a lot more than the straight. Both have uses but i prefer the jab. more speed and can be modified more.

TenTigers
07-01-2010, 08:13 AM
I think Dempsey said it best-never throw a punch unless it can hurt someone.
The "straight Blast," is just Bruce Lee copping and rewording Dempsey's "stiff jolt"-drop-step lead. (again, reference tan-tuie. basic tool development is pretty much the same all over, just with different.."flavoring?")

TenTigers
07-01-2010, 08:15 AM
i use the jab a lot more than the straight. Both have uses but i prefer the jab. more speed and can be modified more.
I think that once you have the body mechanics, you can do it with the same speed, but with more oomph behind it. Ali had a killer jab.

TenTigers
07-01-2010, 08:26 AM
"If any of you actually learned real traditional TCMA, you would know this!"
Holy Fuk! I just channelled in HW108!!
Jow Faw Yup Moor!!! AIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!:eek:

Dragonzbane76
07-01-2010, 08:45 AM
ehhhh... don't bring him in here...sigh.....

SevenStar
07-01-2010, 11:24 AM
I think that once you have the body mechanics, you can do it with the same speed, but with more oomph behind it. Ali had a killer jab.

some people just naturally have a stiff jab. Not everyone does. the drop step is good for adding power to it though, or extreme rotation, in the manner frost mentioned above.

Drake
07-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I think Dempsey said it best-never throw a punch unless it can hurt someone.
The "straight Blast," is just Bruce Lee copping and rewording Dempsey's "stiff jolt"-drop-step lead. (again, reference tan-tuie. basic tool development is pretty much the same all over, just with different.."flavoring?")

Sometimes it's part of a strategy. Besides... the legs are what really mess people up. The hands are just gates. Unless you are Mike Tyson. Then the hands are jackhammers. :D