PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Truth Traditional Kung Fu Ergonomics

PHILBERT
07-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Anyone pick up a copy yet? I managed to get one Saturday at the Legends of Kung Fu tournament when the author had a table there, and he autographed it. I read it Sunday and wrote a review on Amazon for it, I will post the review here.

http://www.amazon.com/Return-Truth-Traditional-Kung-Ergonomics/dp/B003U08X88/

Return of the Truth Traditional Kung Fu Ergonomics
Sifu Nelson Chin

The book is a very fast read, you can go through the entire thing within about a half hour. It is mostly pictures, though there are pages of text. The book really explains more along the lights of Ergonomic Punching, basically showing how to punch while increasing your power. Now, most of what he shows is related to Hung Gar, but there are some benefits to reading this even if you don't do Hung Gar. All of the stance work (to complete the entire "ergonomic" method) is related directly to Hung Gar. He shows some basic defenses on applying Hung Gar to prevent a "grappler" take down, a Wing Chun chain punch and the Choy Lay Fut round punches, as well as some Hung Gar weapon techniques.

The first section is the best section, and useful to anyone of any style. It shows how to properly form horizontal/vertical fists and open hand strikes, and he shows this while using an ergonomic keyboard to show why it is best. The photos are all black and white, but still very high quality. The printing paper is very glossy, making it easier to see the photos, and he was nice enough to show the punches from different angles.

The punches are shown the "normal" way people punch, something that is "passable" and the "correct" ergonomic way to punch. He does this from several angles for each punch, devoting several pages to each punch. Each one very close, just his hand and wrist, 2 photos are used on each page so you get very close up shots. In fact I'd say the photos are almost to scale to a human hand in these shots, which really helps you understand how to execute them correctly.

The step by step section doesn't have a lot of words. Basically it has a "This section I will show you how to defend against a grappler take down" followed by 20 photos with no text. In it he highlights little areas, meaning you see where specifically you need to be looking, as well as if the grappler does get the leg, how you can do a reverse.

Is the book worth $50? Honestly, that depends on what you practice. I didn't pay $50 though, only $30 (which is what the book cover reads). The only section I personally thought was the best was the first part. This is because I do not practice Hung Gar Kung Fu, so everything after the first chapter wasn't near as beneficial to me. Would it be worth $30? Again, I do not do Hung Gar. Beyond the first section, it wasn't beneficial to me. However, I do enjoy collecting books on different styles, so I personally have no problem paying the $30.

If you do Hung Gar, I would imagine this is far, far more beneficial to you, and you may find more information in the other chapters. The reason for this is because he shows how to do more proper stance work, foot work, staff and butterfly sword word as it applies to Hung Gar Kung Fu.

However, the first section can be beneficial to any art, be it Western boxer, Wing Chun Kung Fu (Yes, he shows how to do the chain punch with more power), Choy Lay Fut, Hung Gar, even Karate.

sanjuro_ronin
07-02-2010, 05:55 AM
Do you wanna go into details about this or is this just a "go by this book it might help you" thread?

PHILBERT
07-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Do you wanna go into details about this or is this just a "go by this book it might help you" thread?

What details would you like to know?

I thought I was pretty detailed in explaining the first portion of the book, which is most beneficial for non-Hung Gar practitioners, as well as describing the level of detail he used in the beginning portion of the book, the clarity of photos, multiple angle shots so you have a good idea of what you are seeing/doing, etc.

blj_swmo
07-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Nice review of Nelson's book Philbert. I didn't even know that Nelson had written a book! I will have to purchase a copy.

While I'm not a student of Nelson Chin, and haven't spoken to him in about 15 yrs, I fondly do remember him going over some of what is apparently in this text with me and a friend back in the early '90s on Nelson's drive way one VERY hot and humid Houston day.

Nelson practiced a very practical, real-deal, street fighting Hung Gar style. I remember that he was adamant about learning the proper "Old Way" punching bio-mechanics. As one who has fractured a bone in my wrist while boxing I probably should have listened more to what Nelson was espousing...

"Return of the Truth Traditional Kung Fu Ergonomics Power" is also available from the author at the Bejing Imports website: http://buykungfu.com/?mainURL=/store/item/3894q/Books_Models/Return_of_the_Truth_Traditional_Kung_Fu_Ergonomics _Power.html

I'll post a review after I purchase a copy.