PDA

View Full Version : Heart Piercing Kick: Figurative or Literal

SanHeChuan
07-02-2010, 07:15 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_McdSP5aOOMk/S3wkQQ7C2vI/AAAAAAAAABI/kLa7Hu8Khac/s400/heartpiercingkick.jpg
I think it should be aimed at an upward angle instead of straight out, but whatever.

Youtube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBqSWKLh9Vk)

Is the heart piercing kick just a cool name for a front kick or…

Is its name actually descriptive?

The Heart piercing kick as I understand it is a front thrust kick aimed at the Solar Plexus, which strikes with the heel at an upward angle under the sternum.

Located at the bottom of the sternum is the Xiphoid process

Medicinenet.com (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/hp.asp)
Xiphoid process: A pointed cartilage attached to the lower end of the breastbone or sternum, the smallest and lowest division of the sternum. Cartilaginous early in life, it may become ossified (bony) in adults. It is sometimes simply called the xiphoid. Also known as the ensiform cartilage or process.

The ancients thought the xiphoid looked like the tip of a sword. The word "xiphoid" is from the Greek "xiphos" (straight sword) + "eidos" (like) = straight sword. "Ensiform" is from the Latin "ensis" (sword) + "forma" (shape) = sword shape.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Gray117.png

Innerbody.com (http://www.innerbody.com/image_skelfov/skel16_new.html)
The sternum is very strong and requires great force to fracture. The main danger in this type of injury is not the fracture itself, but the chance that the broken bone may be driven into the heart, which lies just behind it.

Not saying that it is likely to happen, or that it's t3h d34d1y. Just noting that it could happen, and maybe that’s WHY they named it the Heart Piercing Kick. If that is true that's pretty F***ing cool. :cool:

sanjuro_ronin
07-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Both and neither.

Figurative in the sense that, obviously, a heart can't be pierced with a kick.
Literal in the sense of "intent".
Many system THINK they can do damage with the xiphoid process, perhaps by breaking it and sending it into the heart, any doctor will quickly explain the unlikeliness of such (it is VERY rare)
BUT a strong, forceful strike CAN compress the heart enough to cause serious damage and perhaps even death.

TenTigers
07-02-2010, 07:48 AM
I believe the liver is directly behind the xiphoid.
Nonetheless, Sanjuro hit it with the remark about it being figuatively speaking.
It is the intent to penetrate the heart. Both physically, and psychologically as well.
Penetrate you opponent's heart. Break and destroy his spirit. Overwhelm him with relentless aggressioon, constant pressure. That is heart penetration.

Lee Chiang Po
07-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Both and neither.

Literal in the sense of "intent".
Many system THINK they can do damage with the xiphoid process, perhaps by breaking it and sending it into the heart, any doctor will quickly explain the unlikeliness of such (it is VERY rare)
BUT a strong, forceful strike CAN compress the heart enough to cause serious damage and perhaps even death.

It is a myth, just like driving the nose bone into the brain. Mostly cartlege and thus impossible. But, as you say, a strong kick can compress the sternum against the spine and sort of squish anything in between. Even a strong punch there could possible stun the heart and stop it beating. This is target striking and as one can see, it can actually be deadly.

bawang
07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
its not a myth. a few years ago a 17 year old died in some east coast mma fight because his nose bone splintered into his blood vessel i read it in the newspapers

Lucas
07-02-2010, 10:20 AM
the human body is extremely resiliant and extremely fragile at the same time. It really depends on chaotic luck and genetic strength. highly unlikely someone would be able to intentionally cause that kind of damage but it can definately happen.

i mean people have survived falls from airplanes that should kill anyone, and some people have died falling over a crack in the sidewalk......

soo.....you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Drake
07-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Being kicked in the chest will normally hurt. If they kick really hard it will hurt really bad. Impact will affect every organ in the strike area, which, coincidentally, is an area that has a lot of important organs.

Going on what Lucas said.... you could take one straight to the chest and fly through a wall, get up, brush yourself off, and walk away. At the same time you could be kicked lightly in the chest while retreating, the foot somehow hits your sternum at a funny angle, and you get a heart attack.

KC Elbows
07-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Literal. At execution, the big toe should pierce the left ventricle. Try it on yourself, you'll see I'm right.

DISCLAIMER: kicking or any martial activity involves the risk of injury. KC Elbows is in no way responsible for injuries sustained during actual practice of any martial, marital, or moxibustional technique described within his posts. Consult a doctor before doing virtually anything. Always warm up before vigorous physical activity. Keep a lawyer on retention whenever possible. If following any advice given in these posts results in waking up in a bath tub in New Orleans after a drunken night of hermaphrodite hopping, always check for missing organs. KC Elbows is provided for by a grant by the Foundation for the Council on Unproductive Activities.

taai gihk yahn
07-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Literal. At execution, the big toe should pierce the left ventricle. Try it on yourself, you'll see I'm right.

DISCLAIMER: kicking or any martial activity involves the risk of injury. KC Elbows is in no way responsible for injuries sustained during actual practice of any martial, marital, or moxibustional technique described within his posts. Consult a doctor before doing virtually anything. Always warm up before vigorous physical activity. Keep a lawyer on retention whenever possible. If following any advice given in these posts results in waking up in a bath tub in New Orleans after a drunken night of hermaphrodite hopping, always check for missing organs. KC Elbows is provided for by a grant by the Foundation for the Council on Unproductive Activities.
KC wins the Internetz back from bawang...

goju
07-02-2010, 03:33 PM
maybe not your kick :D

Lee Chiang Po
07-02-2010, 08:00 PM
its not a myth. a few years ago a 17 year old died in some east coast mma fight because his nose bone splintered into his blood vessel i read it in the newspapers

Still not the brain. Probably more like a blood clot. The top and top back of the skull is easily crushed, and the heart, liver, and kidney's are subject to impact. There are other less dangerous areas to target.

David Jamieson
07-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Any man over 35 or so (lets just say middle aged) has a xiphoid process that is now calcified. (it started as soft cartilage and became bone through the years) If struck with enough force it will break. You could do it with a punch as well if it has the correct force, is well structured and get's the target area.

so yes, it can be broken in older men and yes it can stab at the heart when this happens due to being in very close proximity to it.

lkfmdc
07-03-2010, 09:00 AM

Your post is a myth I am afraid. East Coast MMA is sanctioned and there is no record of any such event

taai gihk yahn
07-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I think that pretty popular girl in highschool that I had a crush on practiced this technique... :(

SevenStar
07-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Likely figurative. Isn't choy li fut the style which has a form called "heart penetrating palm"?

SevenStar
07-03-2010, 04:48 PM

I just tried this. I put my big toe into the mirror, at the spot where my xiphoid is. the mirror shattered! deadly.

Lee Chiang Po
07-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Any man over 35 or so (lets just say middle aged) has a xiphoid process that is now calcified. (it started as soft cartilage and became bone through the years) If struck with enough force it will break. You could do it with a punch as well if it has the correct force, is well structured and get's the target area.

so yes, it can be broken in older men and yes it can stab at the heart when this happens due to being in very close proximity to it.

There is little doubt the bone can break, but getting it to pierce the heart would be the trick. 1 in 100,000 might even be wishful thinking.

mooyingmantis
07-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Though the xiphoid may not "pierce the heart", piercing the pericardium which holds the heart and lungs in their protective fluid could certainly ruin one's day! :eek:
Peritonitis is bad ju-ju!

taai gihk yahn
07-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Peritonitis is bad ju-ju!
piffle - I drink two to three a day and am none the worse for it, sir!