PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Guo Shi Lei Internal Martial Arts

Tao Bum
07-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Greetings Everybody,

I would like to introduce Sifu Guo Shi Lei's school to this forum. I am a disciple of his from England and am studying at his school in Dongguan, Southern China. Sifu Guo is currently free to teach foreigners- either on a long-term or short-term basis. Of course, I highly recommend the system we practice, which is very traditional and has been passed down from Yang-Lu-Chan (Tai Chi) and Ma WeiQi (Bagua). Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have. There are also lots of our videos on youtube and links to our website from there.

Best Regards from Dongguan,

Mark

taai gihk yahn
07-03-2010, 10:40 AM
what is the YLC lineage that you practice? family or extra-familial?

also, why are the videos that he posts on youtube of him doing push hands, all against students who are clearly not resisting him?

Scott R. Brown
07-03-2010, 11:35 AM
what is the YLC lineage that you practice? family or extra-familial?

also, why are the videos that he posts on youtube of him doing push hands, all against students who are clearly not resisting him?

Trying to hijack another thread I see with pertinent questions!:eek:

taai gihk yahn
07-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Trying to hijack another thread I see with pertinent questions!:eek:

Why don't u go back to ur ghey friend on the Sun taiji thread?

Tao Bum
07-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Yang Lu Chan's students were not necessarily his family. Our lineage from him runs:

Yang Lu Chan - Wang Lan Ting - Li Lui Dong - Zhang Bing Ru - Hu Lai Yi - Wang

Jiao Fu - Shi Chongying - Guo Shi Lei

Regarding the push hands videos, actually i saw those 6 months ago and it looked like the most 'real' Tai Chi on the net so i decided to investigate!! I was also skeptical, and with good reason. When i came i tried push hands with Sifu Guo but he would just cut through my hands- jokingly slicing my neck. He said "Peng Jin Bu Gou" which means that i didnt have sufficient 'Peng Jin'- this is the internal force that , after much zhuan zhuang practice, connects our entire body together from arms to feet. Without Peng Jin you cannot practise Tui Shou. I was still skeptical then but now my Peng Jin has developed enough for me to Tui Shou. Now ,rather than collapsing my arms during tui shou, i keep them strongly rounded and connected to my whole body which acts as one unit. If my opponent fa jins and catches me unaware i have no choice but to fly back. Its nothing mystical or magical- just lots of internal training!

So Sifu Guo will tui shou with anyone who has sufficient Peng Jinn but any Waijia like wrestling, boxing you simply cannot tui shou- then it's san shou time, which is a totally different story!

Regards

M

Scott R. Brown
07-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Why don't u go back to ur ghey friend on the Sun taiji thread?

Uh.......wouldn't that be YOU!!!!:eek:

Paul T England
07-06-2010, 12:51 AM
very interesting...I take it the sifu has afulltime school in south China? Is it near foshan or Canton?

Also what types of breathing does the sifu teach and what fighting drills do you practice?

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

Tao Bum
07-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Hi Paul

Sifu Guo has two schools ('wuguan's') in Donguan which is between Hong Kong / Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

No special breathing techniques are taught. The breath should just be natural. After sufficient Zhuan Zhuang practice breathing will be directed to the dantian region.

There are many 'fighting techniques' here but it isnt like most schools i've been to, especially perhaps in the West (im from England too). There's no 'if he does this you do this' type of 'techniques'. Its a very slow process. Much of the learning is up to the individual student. I think the basic method is this:

-first gaining power, mainly through Zhuan Zhuang and similar exercises

-then learning how to move (whilst remaining powerful!). Through movement come the variety of 'techniques'. A good understanding of how to move very natuarally and powerfully makes the fighter very mobile and sanshou looks different to eg western boxing. I always think it looks more like animals fighting!

Of course, we learn this in special moving techniques with their own names but we like to keep these things a secret to outsiders!!

jadegreg
09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi Mark

I was wondering if you could give us a little more information about the organisation of the system (stance training, fixed palms, changing palms, style specific forms), and/ or training progression.

From what I have seen of the Ma Weiqi system it does tend to resemble Cheng style, in terms of movements, though the expression of said movements seems to be a lot more contained. Additionally, the stepping uses a "planting step", rather than sliding or more typically heel-toe stepping, which I've only observed in Ma Gui style and Shi Jidong Style. What are your thoughts on how it differs from more "common" forms of ba gua?

All the best

Greg

P.S. Here you can find a different expression of Ma shi bagua (through Yang Rulin to Chaio Chang Hung). It seems to use heel-toe stepping, larger circles and also seems far looser.

http://www.xisuigong.com/PaKua.html