PDA

View Full Version : brock vs. carwin

Dragonzbane76
07-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Well i was suprised to say the least. Brock took a vicious pounding in the first. SURVIVED came back in second and submitted carwin with an arm triangle. I'm not a fan of lesner but I will give him props for coming outta that first after taking an ass beating.

Yao Sing
07-03-2010, 09:59 PM
He looked like he was running scared after catching the first couple of shots. But I think Carwin was gassed and just gave up. He needs to practice going beyond round one.

goju
07-03-2010, 10:13 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/282l3ib.jpg

nah most of these missed

Dragonzbane76
07-03-2010, 10:38 PM
lesners post fight he stated that when he was getting pounded he started to realize that the shots were getting weaker and weaker. Again i'm not a lesner fan but he did show he could dig deep an pull out what was needed. yao, i think if i had that train coming at me I would have been running scared as well. :)

SoCo KungFu
07-04-2010, 08:43 AM
What was that like 30, 40 something unanswered punches? Come on had that been anyone else that fight would have been called in the 1st. I give Lesnar credit for recovering between rounds and pancaking out a basic submission. But that fight goes to the ref for letting him get mauled for 5 minutes and not following the rulebook. Intelligently defending oneself: I don't care how big a dome you got on your shoulders, sitting there taking shots in the face is not intelligent defense. Fights have been stopped for much less.

Equally as ridiculous is Lesnar getting sub of the night. Really, with a head/arm choke? That's like the 2nd most basic move you can learn. Yet Lytle had a simultaneous reverse triangle and armbar? WTF? Way to cater to a name. Lytle got screwed out of a payday.

Well I guess it wasn't 30 completely unanswered, I think he did try to punch Carwin in the ankle somewhere in there...

BS main event. Funny thing is Lesnar's win over Mir was stopped with much less punishment.

Dragonzbane76
07-04-2010, 09:24 AM
i agree with the ref. thing. Many fights have been stopped for a lot less. I was sure the fight would be stopped at any moment in the first. In the post interview lesner thanked the ref. for not stopping the fight.

Lee Chiang Po
07-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Once again, goes to prove that MMA is all about size, strength, and lots of luck. Some fights are lost or won due to the referee's interpritation of a situation. Falls under luck. Big guy mauls the small guy, and if equal, it falls to luck. No skill involved, just a natural ability to smash and pummal someone, plus a whole bunch of luck.

Yao Sing
07-04-2010, 10:03 AM
All in all that wasn't my idea of a "champion".

Frost
07-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Once again, goes to prove that MMA is all about size, strength, and lots of luck. Some fights are lost or won due to the referee's interpritation of a situation. Falls under luck. Big guy mauls the small guy, and if equal, it falls to luck. No skill involved, just a natural ability to smash and pummal someone, plus a whole bunch of luck.

yep cant wait for you to step in and show us how to fight a nice technical fight with great skill :)

Dragonzbane76
07-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Once again, goes to prove that MMA is all about size, strength, and lots of luck. Some fights are lost or won due to the referee's interpritation of a situation. Falls under luck. Big guy mauls the small guy, and if equal, it falls to luck. No skill involved, just a natural ability to smash and pummal someone, plus a whole bunch of luck

where you been living under a rock???

Yeah and that's why we see so many forms fairy's competing and winning it all because they have all the skills and experience in fighting. :rolleyes:

Wayfaring
07-04-2010, 12:12 PM
shane did awesome. he said second round he couldn't feel his legs. don't know if that's an adrenaline dump but sounds like extreme case of one - he smelled blood and went for the finish.

great fight. great showing for carwin.

i could see why rosenthal didn't stop it. there was enough intelligent defense from the bottom from lesnar while getting pounded to keep it going.

carwin winking at lesnar before the beginning of the second round was classic.

Hebrew Hammer
07-04-2010, 12:20 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdx2fo_brock-lesnar-vs-carwin-championship_sport

Lesner should have been stopped...I can't believe it wasn't. I just dont think Brock is a 100 percent yet and Shane punched himself out...should have been more selective with his ground and pound.

Amazing that Brock survived.

Frost
07-04-2010, 01:03 PM
lol got to love it so covering your head with your massive arms is now inteligently defending yourself? if it was not a title fight and if lesnar was not the poster boy he is that would have been stopped, carwin looked exhausted and wanted to quit...he could have defended that choke a bit more.

if he works on his cardio he should take the rematch his hands were much better and heavier

Hebrew Hammer
07-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Yeah Carwin quit after round one...no doubt. A rematch is good for both fighters, I don't think Brock was ready after his health issues. I am amazed at how quick these two big men are though.

Frost
07-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah Carwin quit after round one...no doubt. A rematch is good for both fighters, I don't think Brock was ready after his health issues. I am amazed at how quick these two big men are though.

a lot of ex wrestlers are very fast twitch and explosive, makes for great wrestling and good for conditioning over a few minutes, but being so anearobic means wrestlers can gas in MMA with the longer rounds unless they change their training

And carrying someone 270pounds on top of you must be tiring lol

goju
07-04-2010, 04:29 PM
lol i just saw the whole fight now

most of carwins punches outright missed or hit brocks forearms and people are saying it should have been stomped or the ref was being partial?

people are blind :D

Hebrew Hammer
07-04-2010, 09:39 PM
a lot of ex wrestlers are very fast twitch and explosive, makes for great wrestling and good for conditioning over a few minutes, but being so anearobic means wrestlers can gas in MMA with the longer rounds unless they change their training

And carrying someone 270pounds on top of you must be tiring lol

I carry 280 and it is tiring! Oh to be 240 again...

Hebrew Hammer
07-04-2010, 09:41 PM
lol i just saw the whole fight now

most of carwins punches outright missed or hit brocks forearms and people are saying it should have been stomped or the ref was being partial?

people are blind :D

Well maybe I'm blind but Brocks face looked plenty beat up! He took some big shots and if you watch most of the fights that are stopped there are plenty of missed or glancing blows.

Dragonzbane76
07-04-2010, 10:33 PM
was a title fight and most times they let those go a little longer before stoppage. the whole first round i could have swore they were going to stop it. But that's the thing you never know, especially in a title fight. Lesner did keep moving on the bottom though. Even if it was into fetal to grasping he was active and never went limp or stopped defending. People can say what they will I think it was the right decision of the ref.

SoCo KungFu
07-05-2010, 11:09 AM
was a title fight and most times they let those go a little longer before stoppage. the whole first round i could have swore they were going to stop it. But that's the thing you never know, especially in a title fight. Lesner did keep moving on the bottom though. Even if it was into fetal to grasping he was active and never went limp or stopped defending. People can say what they will I think it was the right decision of the ref.

Its not about being "limp." Its about what a perception is of intelligent defense. Fights have been stopped plenty of times before where a fighter did nothing but cover up. Why? Because he was not improving position and just trying to shield blows. That is not an intelligent defense. The stoppages are there to ensure a fighter is not hurt due to his inappropriate response. That is the whole point of that rule. And this is equally as applicable to grappling as is striking, see the Lytle vs Brown fight.

If a fighter cannot or will not intelligently defend oneself the fight gets called. The problem is that there is this perception that championship fights must somehow be held to a different standard. Holding a title doesn't make you magically invincible. Its as ludicrous as the idea that you have to obliterate the champ to take the title, when any other fight can be called by the slightest of decisions. Will it ever change in the perceptions? No. That's why rules need to be black and white. There should not be any gray areas to allow for personal opinion. Make it standard across the board.

Lax reffing...sub of the night...I hate when people say fighters are favored but this is blatantly obvious. ANYONE but Brock and this would have been done and over with in the first.

Dragonzbane76
07-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Its not about being "limp." Its about what a perception is of intelligent defense. Fights have been stopped plenty of times before where a fighter did nothing but cover up. Why? Because he was not improving position and just trying to shield blows. That is not an intelligent defense. The stoppages are there to ensure a fighter is not hurt due to his inappropriate response. That is the whole point of that rule. And this is equally as applicable to grappling as is striking, see the Lytle vs Brown fight.

If a fighter cannot or will not intelligently defend oneself the fight gets called. The problem is that there is this perception that championship fights must somehow be held to a different standard. Holding a title doesn't make you magically invincible. Its as ludicrous as the idea that you have to obliterate the champ to take the title, when any other fight can be called by the slightest of decisions. Will it ever change in the perceptions? No. That's why rules need to be black and white. There should not be any gray areas to allow for personal opinion. Make it standard across the board.

Lax reffing...sub of the night...I hate when people say fighters are favored but this is blatantly obvious. ANYONE but Brock and this would have been done and over with in the first.

thing is lesner kept moving and trying to gain some kind of position between the incoming bombs. I agree that many fights have been stopped for less couldn't possibly list so many. I was totally suprised they didn't stop that one. But again, as you pointed out, title fights seem to be an exception to the rule. I'm not disagreeing that it shouldn't be across the board, but overall it's a fine line and everyone see's it differently between "intelligent" defending and covering up in circumstance. I would have been just as happy to see carwin win, but I also like a good fight and we both have to conceed that it's all for entertainment and they are entertainers putting on a show and a big event means a bigger show so the ref. will probably be a little more giving on the lines to let the fight go on. Right or wrong it's how it is.

Hebrew Hammer
07-05-2010, 07:27 PM

Boxing has had this same unwritten rule that the champ has to lose convincingly or he's still the champ. BS...some have kept their belts after being defeated.

m1k3
07-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Its simple, the ref who was IN the ring could see that Brock was not in trouble and was still doing enough to defend himself. Much like they let Mir continue in the 1st Lesnar fight even though he was getting pounded.

Shame on you Brock haters. :rolleyes:

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2010, 06:23 AM
You wanna BEAT the Champ?
You Knock him out or sub him, you DON'T wait for a decision from ANYONE, ever.

Wayfaring
07-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Best fight of the year, hands down.

http://i48.tinypic.com/24oxfth.gif

SevenStar
07-06-2010, 07:37 PM

you do realize how false that is, right?